Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*******the Late Night EP is the Problem ****** proof inside

I get this weird thing where the time keeps going but sims cancel their actions, instantaneously appear in places where they weren't and/or are in the middle of an animation as SIM TIME goes by. This is happening in Riverview.

Example, mother is painting, son is painting, daughter is playing chess with a friend, I send the father to do his criminal opportunity. Father gets to the place but his actions cancel out, son is stuck with his brush in mid air, mother appears on front lawn, daughter is sitting still in the chair for the chess table but not playing it. SIM TIME STILL PASSES. I double click the father's portrait to see him, but I can't. The son's portrait remains highlighted at the same time as the father's.

SOMETIMES it happens like this: Mother is visiting a house on the other side of town, son is on the phone at home, daughter is baking with kid's oven at home, father is inviting in guests at home. I line up some interactions with the sims at home and I right click the mother to zoom in on her. Now she is completely invisible. I can click on a chair and tell her to sit and she does, the doors open, the footsteps make sounds, the chair moves, she is sitting, but she is COMPLETELY invisible. SIM TIME passes like nothing is happening.

OR.
I send the mother to the consignment store and click "Buy" on the register, the salesman's portrait shows up, SIM TIME passes, the interaction is automatically canceled because the salesman is INVISIBLE.

I'm not doing anything Late Night related, I just put in some decoration items, curved my pool and bought a fountain object (I didn't build it). I'm in Riverview trying to do base game stuff here.

I mean really.....

I played the game before the patch, none of this happened. I played the game briefly after the patch, didn't notice it. I install Late Night, now SIM TIME is passing me by.

:?

Comments

• Options
    amakachaoamakachao Posts: 422 New Member
    edited October 2010
    I have no mods, but some cc that worked before I installed Late Night. I took them out to install Late Night though. I have narrowed down one glitch that I believe is repeatable.

One sim is building a skill, the other 3 sims in the household are doing other things. When the sim gets the skill up to the next level, he becomes invisible and teleports to the front yard. 2 sims are stuck in an animation and cannot complete any task I set them to do (sit somewhere or paint or walk somewhere). The fourth sim of the household also became invisible and teleported to the kitchen, and went about doing freewill actions completely invisible (cleaning a counter, putting a dish in the dishwasher, going to sleep).

I have video that I will upload that shows how the sim who skilled up disappears.

UNRELATED SOLUTION TO A DIFFERENT PROBLEM

Try disabling 2.0 shaders and see if your game lags less. I have a feeling that the water they added is way over detailed. I used to play with 2.0 shaders before Late Night and I ran smoothly, no glitches AT ALL that has to do with base game (I've had one WA glitch this entire time- not coming home from vacation). I had my reflects all off and, 1 high detail lot, lowest draw distance, lowest trees, all the other options were 1 to 2 levels lower than the default settings. Yesterday after I installed Late Night it was like walking through quicksand. I turned off my shaders and the improvement was immediate. After I restarted the game (it is recommended to restart the game if you change your graphics options) it was running much better still. It is not up to par with how well it ran before Late Night, but it is an improvement.

My specs:
    OSX 10.6.4 updated yesterday
    2.66 GHz Intel Core i5
    4gb, 1067 MHz DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD 4850, 512 mb graphics card

I run Team Fortress 2 and L4D2 very well on packed servers...
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    here is a video that shows what happens when my sim skills up.

I have no mods, but I do have cc.

This did not happen before the Oct 26 patch or before I installed Late Night. This is completely new since those last two things.

This is repeatable for me. Whenever a skill is being built other sims in the household disappear, become stuck in an animation, teleport to a random place on the lot, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZmfAZ7UxWk

I don't think I've spent $50 to be frustrated before. But I guess I can count it as a learning experience.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Are you ready?

First let me repost my specs.
    ATI Radeon HD 4850, 512 mb graphics card

I run Team Fortress 2 and L4D2 very well on packed servers...

Today I saved my Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder in a separate drive, then I deleted it from my computer. (I do not have partitions or anything like that).

__ I uninstalled EVERYTHING.
    __ I restarted my computer.
    __ I installed The Sims 3 base game. I did NOT let it update.
    __ I installed World Adventures. I did NOT let it update. I set the options to 1 or 2 levels below the defaults, I turned off 2.0 shaders, I have minimum draw distance, 1 high detailed lot, medium special effects, lowest reflections, you get the idea. The only thing I have high is textures and sim detail.
    I created a family in Sunset Valley from the default group that comes with the game, the first couple in the list. I moved them into a starter home. I built them a pool. I sat them both down to read Charisma 1. I saved right before the wife skills up. Then I allowed her to skill up, everything happened as expected. I quit without saving.
    __ I installed Ambitions. I did NOT let it update. I went back to the saved couple in Sunset Valley and allowed the wife to skill up again. Everything happened as expected. I quit without saving.
    __ I installed Late Night. It did not ask me to update. I made sure I changed the new option menu to be lowest on reflections (none). I went one resolution down from my screen default (but the same ratio). As before everything was low, special effects on medium, sims detail and textures on high. I restarted the game. I went back to the saved couple in Sunset Valley and allowed the wife to skill up. This time I received the glitch. In this instance the husband cleared his action queue, the wife had the "arms through the body at weird angles" glitch that I have NEVER received before since the Sims3 came out. I sent her to swim, she went and swam with her arms through her body. I quit without saving.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
    I started the game. I set up a NEW GAME with the same couple in the same house in Sunset Valley. I built them a pool. I saved. I had them both read Charisma 1. Some sims came over to say hi, I asked the to leave with the husband. I sent him to read Charisma 1 again. I saved right before the wife skilled up. I let her skill up. She did, and nothing strange happened. Nothing. She went right on reading, the husband did not cancel his queue. I made her stop and go for a swim. She did everything normally. I guess she took her time getting out of the chair but it wasn't that annoying.

I paid $50 for this. :x

I want to play the family I created last month. It's not even like I'm trying to play the sims I created a year ago. Just last month. I need a warning before I purchase something that it is not backwards compatible with my previously saved files.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think I'll have to go to the Better Business Bureau or something similar with this kind of evidence.

• Options
    AnaQAnaQ Posts: 23 New Member
    edited October 2010
    I have CC and a bunch of mods and installed LN and I CAN play ALL of my OLD games. So honestly I don't know why some users are having issues and some are not.

I wonder if it has anything to do with regions.

Hopefully your problem gets resolved soon.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You are one of the lucky few. Take a look around this forum, you'll see that I am not alone.
  • Options
    MegophobiaMegophobia Posts: 18 New Member
    edited October 2010
    I'm having issues too. My game won't let me use any tabs in CAS except the basic one. I've looked all over for a solution; I deleted some CC, I deleted the cache files, everything. I have no mods, so I have no idea what the problem is.

EA better have a patch for this soon.
  • Options
    setter1414setter1414 Posts: 488 New Member
    edited October 2010
    millions of people play sims. and about a hundred or so on actually on the forums, and those are mostly the people that are having the problems. there are many people not having problems and are playing the game instead of posting on the forums.
  • Options
    elijahhines10elijahhines10 Posts: 6,433 Member
    edited October 2010
    Its not the game its the patch
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I realize that it is tl;dr but I did type in caps that I did NOT patch the game after I reinstalled Ambitions. It asked if I'd like to patch and I said no. So THEN I installed Late Night. WITHOUT THE LATE NIGHT PATCH.
    After I installed Late Night, it DID NOT ask me to patch. HENCE, it is not the patch.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    setter1414 wrote:
    millions of people play sims. and about a hundred or so on actually on the forums, and those are mostly the people that are having the problems. there are many people not having problems and are playing the game instead of posting on the forums.

Did you see the post where I outlined that I reinstalled from scratch?
    Please suggest to me what I did wrong or where it is my fault.
    I'm looking for human error and I don't see one.

EDIT: Also, I said in my very long post where I reinstalled that playing a BRAND NEW FAMILY is not the problem. Playing an OLD family is the problem. BRAND NEW FAMILY is okay. OLD FAMILY is not.

I said if I had known that it would make my OLD families unplayable, I would not have bought it, or I would have at least waited for it to go down in price (so almost a year later).

OLD families are glitched, families saved before Late Night.
    NEW families are fine for me, families created after Late Night.

Maybe thousands of simmers play with new families each time an EP comes out. Maybe they play the new family for a month or two before going back to their old families. Maybe they will patch this before the rest of the sim community realizes their legacies are borked.

Maybe I got a defective CD, and AnaQ is right, it has to do with distribution regions.

I don't know what it is, but this is not cool.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to install this on my PC and prove that it is the EP that is flawed.

The only problem is that my PC is very weak as compared to my Mac, as far as processing power and graphics power goes, that is the reason why I installed the game on my Mac in the first place, but I can put it back on my PC to prove that the product is defective.

In fact I don't have to, but I will. Take a gander at this thread where two people with the same problem, one on a PC, and one on a Mac.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/284751.page
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited October 2010
    @setter1414,
    You must be blind because the OP obviously has an issue. Heck she even provided video. I think you were rude. :roll:

@amakachao,
    I've never seen that before so you definitely have an issue. I would have no clue how to duplicate the issue to even test it. I don't know what to tell you except I'm sorry your game isn't working correctly. I wish I could help you. :(
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    thank you blunote00.

thank you. I'm going to do more testing. And maybe I can isolate and get glitches to repeat reliably.

This is the first time I've been unhappy with this product.

I hope I find a fix, even if I have to do a happy-magic-voodoo-dance or something lol
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    amakachao wrote:
    thank you blunote00.

thank you. I'm going to do more testing. And maybe I can isolate and get glitches to repeat reliably.

This is the first time I've been unhappy with this product.

I hope I find a fix, even if I have to do a happy-magic-voodoo-dance or something lol
    I hope you do find a fix or can recreate it to open a ticket. You can probably do that once you narrow down the variables to a list of criteria to report it. Whenever you do finally open a ticket (via help link above) you should be able to include the link to the video so they can see what's happening. Always document and include as much information as you can. But I'm sure you know this because you've shown you can do this above in your earlier post. Now if more people on the boards and irl were more detailed, issues can get taken care of a lot sooner. :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • Options
    acknaracknar Posts: 89 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Amakachao

I'm in full support of your thread. I'm having the exact same issues (mainly the stuttering and freezing).

I did a full purging of everyting EA on this PC. This PC is a monster gaming rig far above the recomended specs.

I event went as far as clearing the Registry of any keys to Sims 3, EA, or EADM.

-after reinstalling the base game and HELS, Amb, LN, the two sim families I brought to Bridgeport have their hygiene, energy, and bladder stuck on full. Resetsim fixed Hygiene and energy, but bladder is still stuck.

Anyhow, if you install Late Night you -will- get patched. Late Night brings your game to the current version 1.17.60.009 which everyone else has.

-Although you uninstalled Custom Content that may corrupt your game, if a family had the content and they are imported (using the bin) into Bridgeport it seems that they retain what ever data was corrupted. Of course the solution being deleting the family completey and just starting a new one.

I'm willing to wager that a lot of the people not having issues are folks who started new sims from scratch when they started with Late Night.
  • Options
    MM2ThREbOySMM2ThREbOyS Posts: 553 New Member
    edited November 2010
    hmmmm.....that's kinda funny i don't have the same problem,maybe it's the spec's of your computer and there's. :?

buy a better computer. :?
  • Options
    CuddlyBunCuddlyBun Posts: 6,514 New Member
    edited November 2010
    I have the exact same problem. It doesn't occur often, but after about 3 sim weeks if I try to do any 2 forms of simultaneous skilling, one or more sims will become stuck. Resetsim doesn't even fix them. :(
  • Options
    LAWRENCE43566LAWRENCE43566 Posts: 298
    edited November 2010
    amakachao wrote:
    You are one of the lucky few. Take a look around this forum, you'll see that I am not alone.
    You are not alone i play the game for 30 mins it freezes it couldnt be my computer i just bought it i installed WA and ambitions on the new computer IT WORKED PERFECTLY no freezing no lagging no nuthin i buy late night from local eb games i get home i install i make a single sim move her into an apartment i play it she meets a celebrity IT FREEZES i restart my computer i play again it freezes i do it about 12 times i have no cc no mods and it freeeeezes AGGGGGRRRR THIS ANNOYS ME
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited November 2010
    sorry to hear you're having problems, I too had my sims freeze when I went into my game play in Sunset Valley-frustrating, you're not alone. :)
  • Options
    bartellsbartells Posts: 74 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Ive had issues since installing LN too. Some small minded I'm ok jack people love to say "its your own fault dont blame EA" errrmmm EA wrote the game and sold it....

Ive found while playing Bridgeport the place of evil lagging spoiling the game town that if you go on a jolly hol.... It works fine... no lagging sim behaves as they should...

If it was my pc rather than the game then why does that happen? Oh yer that be the game is full of bugs!!

GGrrrr come on EA sort this.
  • Options
    Jaghar7Jaghar7 Posts: 3,314 New Member
    edited November 2010
    It's your mods dude! Your mods! *cough* erm.. not. Sorry, couldn't resist. Always someone saying that even half way through a thread after several people already point out that they don't have any.

I am interested in the results of the PC install though. I'm not convinced CC is the source of some data corruption on sims either. Some data corruption seems to occur even without CC, particularly in WA.

As for the comment about the % of actual players on the forums. The implication as I read it (intended or otherwise) is that a very small % of folks have actual problems but I would point out that not everyone that has problems come here. It might be true that a lot of players come here because of bugs or percieved bugs (ie mod conflicts, lousy CC) so the % of players with problems may not be proportional to the total TS3 playerbase experiencing issues. However, that doesn't mean it's such a small % of players with problems either.

I've seen a lot of bugs in the game myself but I only first came here through a google search looking for a solution to a WA bug that apparently STILL does not exist and a lot of other people go to other forums they trust for help.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hmmmm.....that's kinda funny i don't have the same problem,maybe it's the spec's of your computer and there's. :?

buy a better computer. :?
    Seriously... Did you not read anything she posted? :roll:
    She listed her specs and even posted them twice. :?
    0002014F.gif
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited November 2010
    You need to post your entire dxdiag. That's the best way for someone to help you pinpoint the problem, and get it fixed.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    RoyalHankeyRoyalHankey Posts: 149 New Member
    edited November 2010
    When you installed late night it automatically installed the patch before installing the expansion pack. It had to instal the patch to so it could instal the EP.
    amakachao wrote:
    I realize that it is tl;dr but I did type in caps that I did NOT patch the game after I reinstalled Ambitions. It asked if I'd like to patch and I said no. So THEN I installed Late Night. WITHOUT THE LATE NIGHT PATCH.
    After I installed Late Night, it DID NOT ask me to patch. HENCE, it is not the patch.