Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does this sound like a video card problem?

When I play The Sims 3, everything is fine, except I think the picture might not look as nice as it should. However, when I try to build on an empty lot, the game crashes. It does not do this when I try to add on to an existing house. I know my computer doesn't pass the system check, my processer is only 2.2. Also on the system check it doesn't list anything for the video card. I'm assuming it's a problem with the video card, if I even have one. Also, the game speed is fine, loading doesn't take long at all. Does this sound like a video card problem?

Comments

• NewDawnNewDawn Posts: 263 New Member
    edited June 2009
    It very well could be... do you know what kind of card you have? if you don't press the window key and R simotaniously and type in "dxdiag" without the quotes. Under display tell me what it says.
  • katenigma00katenigma00 Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2009
    If you have a picture on your monitor, you have some kind of video card, if one built into the motherboard. :):wink:

It does sound like a probably video card problem. You can find out what card you have by going to the Display tab on dxdiag.
  • Babygirl2328PBabygirl2328P Posts: 20 Member
    edited June 2009
    i think so, i'm having the same problem sort of. when i played the game the first night i played for like two hours and now whenever i play the game crashes after about two minutes of playing.
  • jkstensjkstens Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited June 2009
    Okay I'll check quick what kind of video card it is quick. I'll post it in a second! Thanks so much for the feedback everyone!
  • PsykhotikPsykhotik Posts: 42 New Member
    edited June 2009
    People have also reported the same problems and upon looking at their specs they didn't have enough memory so you might want to verify how much memory you have as well.
    edited June 2009
    I'm having a hard time finding where it says a video card. Where should I look in the diagnostic thing?
  • AstromiciAstromici Posts: 114 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Display, or display 1.
  • katenigma00katenigma00 Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2009
    jkstens wrote:
    I'm having a hard time finding where it says a video card. Where should I look in the diagnostic thing?

Under Display, look for "name"
    edited June 2009
    When I open the area that says Computer on the bottom of the window it says Memory: 4.00 GB.
    edited June 2009
    That's more than enough. We need the display.
    edited June 2009
    Okay, under name it says Intel(R) G35 Express Chipset Family. Does that sound right?
    edited June 2009
    Yep. Hold on a sec while I look it up.
    edited June 2009
    Ok, thanks!
    edited June 2009
    Alright, the graphics card is fine. It's your CPU that's the problem. I think reinstalling your game may work, since you can add on to existing lots fine, but not build on new ones. It may have something to do with the way the game is made. It could be just the game, because it seems there's nothing stopping you from running the game as it is now.
    edited June 2009
    Okay. Do you think there's anything that would help that or is it just that I would need a quicker computer?
    edited June 2009
    Whoa. See previous post by me.
    edited June 2009
    Sorry! Only the first part of the post showed up. I'll try reinstalling it and see what happens. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!
    edited June 2009
    You're welcome, anytime.
    edited June 2009
    I did the restart and tried with a family and it worked! Then I tried it with the family I had been trying it with (Baker) and it did the same thing. I tried it with another different family and it worked fine. Could that be a problem with my actual copy? Or a bug or something?