Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Astromici's first conjecture. Info on Computer Specs, laggy games, yucky games.

Astromici's first conjecture explains the dynamics of your system and how they relate to The Sims 3.

Astromici's first conjecture is the following:

The Sims 3 system requirements:

FOR WINDOWS XP
•Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
•2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
•1 GB RAM
•At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
•128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

FOR WINDOWS VISTA
•Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
•2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
•1.5 GB RAM
•At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
•128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:
•Intel Integrated Chipset, GMA X3000 or above.
•2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent
•0.5 GB additional RAM

Terminology:

Patch: Program that updates your software. Download and install for best results on anything.

Minimum system requirements: The hardware required to run the game.

Run: Work. To make work. To use.

Drivers:
A driver is a piece of software that makes your hardware run. Upgrading your drivers is the easiest way to have your system run faster and better. Don't rely on windows update for Graphics Card Drivers.

UPDATING YOUR DRIVERS. If a company built your computer, it's really easy. Such as if you own a Dell or a HP computer, simply go to their website, get to a support section, and look for drivers and downloads. If your manufacturer including components from other companies, go to their support webiste. For example, if my sound card was from Creative and Dell built my computer, to to Creative's website and download drives from them.

ATI Drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Nvidia Drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Specifications: The rating and speeds of the component.

Hardware: Physical components, like the RAM, CPU, and Motherboard.

Software: Virtual components, like programs and the OS.

OS: Your operating system is the software which controls all the programs in your computer. You most likely have Windows XP or Windows Vista, it's quite easy to tell if you do with Microsoft having the Big Logos when you load up your system.

If you don't have either of these, it's time for a new computer.

BSOD: The Blue Screen of Death is when your OS encounters a software problem and can't fix it. Repeated BSOD's indicate a major problem. In this event, contact your manufacterer or reinstall your OS, assuming you have an installation disk.

Crash: When a program stops running without you closing it.

Proccesors: The proccesor of your computer is the brain. It does all the calculations. Basically, it means it sorts the data between the individual components of your system.

Proccesors are measured in Gigahertz, or "GHz". Most modern proccesors are over 2.00 GHz, which is normally enough to run the game at a decent speed.

You may have heard of Multi-core proccesors. These are proccesors with more than one "core". A Core is the actual part that does all the calculations. Proccesors with more than one core will usually run faster. Just because your proccesor has more than one core doesn't mean it runs twice as fast. It runs about 0.8x faster than the GHz of the cores combined.

When buying a new proccesor, you need to be aware of your socket type, which the specification of the socket the proccesor plugs into. To do this, google the name of your proccesor with specs. I.E. : Intel Core 2 Duo Specs.

Motherboards: The motherboard is the circuit board that connects all the components of your system. These are the hardest to upgrade, as buying a new motherboard means buying a whole new set of system components, as motherboards advance is specifications every few years. For much older systems that can't run The Sims 3, buying an entirely new computer is reccomended.

RAM/Memory: Random Access Memory is basically a temporary storage area for programs waiting to be sorted by the proccesor. RAM is much faster than a hard drive, which is why it is used.

RAM is measured in Megabytes(MB) and Gigabytes(GB). 1024 MB make 1 GB. When purchasing RAM, you also need to be aware of the type. Most RAM is DDR2. Older systems use Plain DDR, or SDRAM. Newer ones use DDR3. For information on upgrading your RAM, google.

Lack of Ram can cause programs to be slow or unfunctional. Here's a quick guide to the type of RAM you should buy. Simply select desktop or notebook depending on which kind you have. http://memoryselector.cnetchannel.com/tigerdirect/?SRCCODE=WEM1947BY&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-WEM1947-_-components#

Graphics card: Your graphics card is the device used to render your display. In simpler terms, it "draws" what is on your monitor. As a simple guide for which cards you want to buy:

ABCD

ABCD is the format for the version of the card.

A=Generation
For ATI, you want A to be greater than 1.
For Nvidia, you want this to be greater than 5.

B=Build
For all cards by ATI and Nvidia, you want B to be greater than 5.

C=Model

I think your safe with any model number.

D=0

D is just a 0. DOn't worry about it. Focus on A and B.

Oh, the above doesn't apply to Nvidia's latest GTX series, which they used after they breached the 9000 generation. If you can afford a GTX card, consider yourself very lucky.

Video cards also have different memory amounts for the same models. Aim for something greater than 256 MB.

That's basically what you need to know about upgrading your system for The Sims 3. Any questions, post them here or PM me, and I'll try to anwser as best as I can. Happy Simming!

Btw, UPDATING YOUR DRIVERS. If a company built your computer, it's really easy. Such as if you own a Dell or a HP computer, simply go to their website, get to a support section, and look for drivers and downloads.

BUYING NEW COMPONENTS:

http://www.newegg.com/
http://www.tigerdirect.com/indexus.asp?

The above sites are know by computer enthusiasts 8). They'll have the best deals you can get.

Diagnosing problems: Computers can have the same problems with different causes. Note that malicious software can cause ALL the problems listed below.

BSOD: A BSOD can mean a virus or something wrong with your drivers. For Windows systems, press F8 before the blue/green loading bar appears to enter the advanced boot options menu, and select last know good configuration. If that doesn't work, go into safe mode and do a system restore. If safe mode does not work, contact your manufacterer or insert the Windows installation disk and look for a system repair option.

Program Crashes: A program, such as The Sims 3, crashing is either because you don't meet the minimum system requirements, or because of faulty programming. Updating your drivers can actually help in this case. So does installing all the patches for that program.

Comments

• AstromiciAstromici Posts: 114 New Member
    edited June 2009
    BTW, all feedback welcome.
  • MeaslesMeasles Posts: 94 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Excellent thread Astromici, dont need it myself but I'm sure it will help the people willing to look before posting. :)
  • AstromiciAstromici Posts: 114 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Measles wrote:
    Excellent thread Astromici, dont need it myself but I'm sure it will help the people willing to look before posting. :)

Thanks, but you have a problem.