Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To those that know how...

MooMonkeyMooMonkey Posts: 1,066 New Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
I know there are a few people out there that can change their lot display pictures here on the exchange. On one of the threads someone asked how they did it and they sent a link.

The link worked for everyone else but me it seams. I only get a log in screen. :cry:

I really want to know how to do this so for those of you that can, will you teach me how to do it?
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• MooMonkeyMooMonkey Posts: 1,066 New Member
    edited June 2009
    buump
  • Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This just about covers your question, it's a copy of the instructions I posted over on the SIMposium.
    I will bookmark this thread so if you have any questions I will try to help.

How to edit the sims 3 uploaded pictures.

I spent several sleepless nights trying to find a program that would give me access to the PNG files stored inside a lot package. Just when I gave up I came accross an actual sims 3 program in development Postal - A Lepid Llama Package Editor made by Echo, so all credit should go to echo for making this program, it can found here:-
    http://www.simlogical.com/Sims3ToolsForum/index.php?topic=85.0

You can download the Package Editor here:-
    http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=264651

You will need ensure that Java 1.6 or later is correctly installed Note: At the moment, this is only 100% supported on 32-bit Windows, because that's what I'm running. That's XP and most versions of Vista. It should 98% work on 64-bit Windows, although I've had reports of the 3d preview not working correctly for GEOMs. A Mac version is coming soon.

Ok now we have the tools to do this, next of course you need a lot, so enter the game and save your lot to the library, this will place a copy of the package in the following location
    C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Library

This will be a good time to actual edit a screenshot that you would like to be your uploaded picture, the picture need to be 512 by 512 Example

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/Tamlo31/S3_d84e7fc7_00000009_89c300286b5af5.png

It's a good time to exit the game and open Lepid Llama Package Editor, click File and open then goto your library found here C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Library and open the most recent file in this document you should be able to scroll down and find the PNG files, the file your looking for is PNG Icon house large(long name) in the group subsection it should say 0x00000000 this is the main uploaded picture, you might see more png files that say 0x00000001 or 0x00000002 the other pictures are the picture that you will see if you view the picture by clicking on the main uploaded picture after upload you can edit them, but for now just leave them alone.

You don't actual need to extract any files your going to replace the PNG Icon house large with a group instant of 0x0000000 so double click on that file to see a new menu click on the Inport and find your file, then click commit button, now double click again on PNG Icon house large with a group instant of 0x0000000 to check it worked and then click file and save as, this will save your edited lot to the library at C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Library

You can close Lepid Llama Package Editor and navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Library

Your looking for a file that looks like this ebf_0x89c300288413d590.packag_ you should rename this package so it overides the original package, you can make a backup of the orginal package first, so your new file will look something like this ebf_0x89c301286c951870.package.

Now enter the game you should see the lot in the library inside the game, just upload and share, I would actual do a test upload first, remember you can't upload duplicate names to the exchange so if your lot was called SIMposium delight, when you upload, call the lot SIMposium delight test.
    That just about covers the basics, rest of this tuturial is about more advanced stuff.

UPLOAD SIZE (not 100% of actual upload size, since posting the tutorial the I've manage to upload a lot larger than 4200kb, so this part might be a little off)

Due to extensive testing I found that uploading lot that are bigger than 4200kb seem to fail to upload, this might be a upload size limit, well at least I've failed to upload anything bigger than that size, the average size a lot is about 500kb the rest of the upload is made up of the PNG images that you upload with the lot a user made PNG will be about 400-500kb each some might be more if you add animation to the picture or extensive editing, you can view my sims 2 page for two examples animated uploaded picture
    http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/lot_detail.php?asset_id=734754&asset_type=lot&user_id=1391924
    http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/lot_detail.php?asset_id=743690&asset_type=lot&user_id=1391924

So before you go crazy and and start editing all them uploaded pictures to showcase your lot and then wonder why it did'nt upload, you try to keep the total size below 4000kb otherwise the lot will fail to upload.
    If you look at this lot that I uploaded http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=173805
    click on the main picture and scoll throu to pictures nine and ten, what do see? Nothing, by uploading a nothing picture you reduce the size of a upload, a nothing picture as got the size of 4.74kb, this will give you more space to play about with to upload better pictures.

To make a nothing pic just make a blank 512 by 512 png file in a paint package and the add that to PNG Icon house large with a group instant of anything other than 0x00000000.

SMALL PNG PICTURES

Inside package editor you might notice to two png file one that say PNG icon medium and the other says png icon small, yes you can edit them if you think it's worth the time, thou I recomend you do not use any animation on them files it will turn them black ingame, they are the files that are used inside the game to showcase your lot http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/Tamlo31/editedpic.jpg

Notice the icon in the library, you should also be a aware when you download a lot from the exchange the only png files that get downloaded with the lot are them files, so when you edit them files thats what people will see in there game, if you don't edit them, they will get the old picture.

The size are 128 by 128 for the small and 256 by 256 for the medium, just make PNG file of the size and replace them files with the package editor

Animation

I've not made any animated uploads for sims 3 yet, I was saving that for a rainy day, but it should be possible to upload animation onto your pictures, but will greatly increase the size of the upload, remember 4000kb limit, but with little a manipulation you can probable do just that, example you could make a png slide show, or flashing lights, or glitter background. to do this will probable need to replace most of the other pictures with the upload, with blank pics. For people who are like me, who do have a degree in computer artwork I recomend that you try to use a few of the free sites that deal with picture manipulation:-
    http://www.lunapic.com/editor/
    http://www.online-image-editor.com/

Family Households

Yes this can done, you can view the upload here http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=132495

This is the hardest thing to edit and to be honest I've no idea how it works, I can only give you a small guide.

First up, make your sim, with me I wanted to upload 1 sim with a nice picture, but for reason beyond me the game fails to generate 512 by 512 png file, the file needed to change the uploaded picture, so I had 1 sim in the library, currently not sure how or when the game generates the picture needed.
    I played the game for a few minutes and added two more members to the sim household, exited the game checked the file using the package editor and the 512 by 512 file had generated so I uploaded.

So to sum up I'm very unclear on how that works, feel free to experiment with this, you might have better joy than me.

OTHER UPLOADS

For other uploads like hair, cars, objects and anything else people upload to the exchange, I'm not sure where the PNG files might be, possible stored in the Cache and generated into a package just prior to upload, if I find anything I will update this tutorial.

• BaxterBaxter Posts: 158 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Thank you so much Stw! I signed up to that site and am still waiting for an activation e-mail for that information. This is great help, thank you!
  • SaffronCat5SaffronCat5 Posts: 634 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Yes thank you so much too..I have wanted this so i can show better pics like in the Sims 2..You can hardly see the pictures for preview..In the Sims 3..And now my uploads will be that much better..Many,Many invs Benes for you..He..He..

Bene..
    edited June 2009
    For some reason the editor wont install. When it firsts pops up wanting you to choose the directory in which the files go into, it wont let me save it at it's default Program Files(x86)/thename. I tried multiple things, but couldn't resolve it.
    edited June 2009
    If you have any problems opening the file, before you do anything else try downloading Java 1.6

This can be found here:-

http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/tech/

This is a common problem if you don't have the latest updates, give this a try and see if it helps.

Also this tutorial wont work for mac users, you will need to wait for a updated editor, sorry.
  • addict1220addict1220 Posts: 3,778 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Stw, thanks for sharing this with all of us. We VERY much appreciate it. I even posted the link to your post on our Builders' Boulevard Yahoo! group.

Addict
    edited June 2009
    I hate to be a nuisance, but I'm having problems installing the package editor.

When the installation screen pops up and asks you where you want to store the files, I click "Continue", but it says that it can't save the file under Program Files (x86), the default option.

Has anyone encountered this problem or know a way around it?
    edited June 2009
    addict1220 How do you get to the Builders' Boulevard Yahoo! group, do you have a link, so I can join.

Baxter Have you got the editor to install yet? If it fails to work on your system you might need to wait for a update on the package editor, I'm sure it wont be long before some bright spark comes up with a new editor or a update. If I find anything I will post a link.
  • FeldynnFeldynn Posts: 331 Member
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Stw402! Going to play with this some and see how it works out, just curiously do you know of any tools like SimPE for Sims 3? Probably too early for something on that scale, but you never know :)
    edited June 2009
    Yes, I downloaded the editor, but the problem is installation. I will wait and see.
    edited June 2009
    Sometimes people like to upload to the exchange house's they did not make, my adive from this point on, would be to use the main uploaded picture 0x00000000 PNG file and start to signature sign your own work. If you upload to a website you might wish to replace the file 0x00000000 with a blank 512 by 512 png picture, this will go to some way in stopping people copying your work. Of course, people can always make a new cover shots, but it's not making it easy for them.

Feldynn I've not herd of anything like simpe for the sims 3, I read a comment that we are more likely to see a collection of tools rather than 1 program. I surpose it depends on the modders and how well stuff fits together.

• ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited June 2009
    Baxter wrote:
    I hate to be a nuisance, but I'm having problems installing the package editor.

When the installation screen pops up and asks you where you want to store the files, I click "Continue", but it says that it can't save the file under Program Files (x86), the default option.

Has anyone encountered this problem or know a way around it?

Baxter,

I had the same problem but found a way to get it to install. Instead of installing the program to Program Files(x86), create a new folder in a different directory (I just did it on the desktop) and direct it to install it in the new folder. You don't need to change anything else in the installation process, just leave it set to default and it should install.

Stew,

I am having problems at this point:

Your looking for a file that looks like this ebf_0x89c300288413d590.packag_ you should rename this package so it overides the original package, you can make a backup of the orginal package first, so your new file will look something like this ebf_0x89c301286c951870.package.

The only files I see in the library folder are the package files for the lots that I saved there. I see the lot that I am trying to edit, which is the file I opened in the Postal program, but it's name is not like the ones listed in your example. I tried changing the name of the packaged file, but it still did not work. How do I know what to change the name to? I just added a number near the end, and changed a "d" to a "c" to test it, but it didn't work either. I think I am missing a step here.... or something. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
    Ed

fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
    edited June 2009
    Thank you Ehaught! I'm going to try that in just a few minutes.
    edited July 2009
    Does this help:-

Once your happy with the pic click on file at the top of postal and save the file into the Library

postal1.jpg

postal2-3.jpg

So with the example above the file will look like this ebf_0x89c30028f758bf20.package

Anyway I hope this helps

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • fuyayafuyaya Posts: 790 Member
    edited July 2009
    Thank you very much.
    I do an help for the frenchies

(sorry for my english)
  • ballymonballymon Posts: 7 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Thanks Stw402 for all your advice. I was able to install Postal & find the house icon. Can you please tell me how to edit & resize the screen shot I took of the house I want to upload to 512 by 512. Is that cm's, pixels, etc? I have Adobe Photoshop.

Thanks.
  • KloristixKloristix Posts: 147 New Member
    edited July 2009
    ..first: Thank you veryy much! :D This is great.. but now, after I think 1000 unsuccessful tests I'm really desperate :(
    I open the Lepid Llama Tool pick the png picture and import the picture I want (it's 512x512). than I save it. Now I open the Launcher and want to upload it.. It loads and than it's at the end of the bar and.. starts over... that happens again and again.. it doesn't stop loading :S What i have to do ? :(
    edited July 2009
    Kloristix AbodePhotoshop is a very good paint package, I use that myself, but for the sake of making this easy, I would just download Infraview

It's free and everybody who owns the sims 3 should have this.
    http://www.irfanview.com/

It just speed things up, once you have downloaded just open the image and click on Image then resize/resample, you can save this 512 by 512 pixals and in png format. Infraview is useful to see what the pic would look like before you resize.
    [IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/Tamlo31/🐸🐸🐸🐸.jpg[/IMG]

I would also recomend doing a sharpen on the image after you have resize/resampled, Infraview is a fast program for doing some basic edits to your pics, you can give the pic some basic edits and add text to a image.

Kloristix, my guess Have a look at what size the lot is in your library, if it's more that about 4000kb the lot size might be to big, don't panic yet, edit the lot again, instead of taking out the main uploaded pic, make a 512 by 512 pixal blank pic and export that blank png picture into the lot over any other picture other than the main upload picture or medium or small picture, don't forget you will need to commit and save the lot again. You can repeat this, to reduce the size of the lot, blank png file are only about 18kb each.
    Should you not wish to reduce your lot this way, the alternative method would be to remove objects from the lot, to reduce size of the upload, I recommend starting with trees.
    If the lot size is less than 4000kb, exit the game and open the launcher and delete all failed copies of the upload, restart the game and then try to reupload. I would actual try this method first, I've actual seen a 5000kb lot on the exchange, the size limitation seem a little random.

• KloristixKloristix Posts: 147 New Member
    edited July 2009
    thank you :D .. my PNG picture is 512x512 pixals .. I changed the other 512x512 pictures with blank , transparent png files (512x512, too). And now i want to upload the lot.. First i open sims 3 and upload the lot to launcher. then I try to upload it from the launcher.. but it's 4.08 mb and the same happens like before :( .. Maybe I'm too silly for this... and i can't delete more objects from the lot :(
    edited July 2009
    Thats strange, but if the base lot is 4.08mb, it might be over the limit, just try this, try a test upload under a diffrent name and leave the description blank, a long description adds to the upload size, it might be the description is just tipping it over the edge.

If it uploads then then delete the test upload go back in the game, reupload with a very small description, I think the actual max upload size is about 4.20mb(not 100% sure about this size, just thats my guess due to the number of tests I did.
    It works something like this, when you upload the total size= Lot size+PNG pic +description of lot.

• fieryfemalefieryfemale Posts: 1,593 New Member
    edited July 2009
    hey stw, the lepid llama thing is not giving me a preview of the 0x0000000 file, so I can't preview the image to import a new one. Any ideas?

I have tried save it to library a few times, but am having no luck.
  • max7773max7773 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Hey Stw, thanks for the guide. So far I've downloaded and installed the correct version of Java, then installed the Postal program. All is fine, until I try and start Postal, then I get this message:

postalerror.jpg

It is apparently referring to Java, but I don't know what the issue is, as I have Java installed. If you have time, could you please shed some light on this? Much appreciated.
    edited July 2009
    fieryfemale I think you already fixed this, sorry about the delay in getting back, just make sure you give the mouse a good double click to get the pic to come up :wink:

max7773 This is the version of Java I'm using Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.14
    Just to be sure this version works, I remember somebody else haveing a similiar problem, so just double check you have the correct version
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/tech/

If that fails to work, the problem seem to me to be java related, perhaps google on how to fix this, I did read something about Java not being found in windows problems, but I hope just a clean install of the same version I'm useing will fix this problem.

Please reduce the picture size of your pictures, cheers
  • JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited July 2009
    max773, I get that error too. Instead of running it from the start menu, go to
    the start menu, find the link to the postal.bat in the start menu, then right click
    on it, and choose open file location, then run the postal.bat from there.

That is what I did and it solved that message for me on Vista 64 bit.

PROMOTE THIS: JALIDA GETS 72 HOUR SUSPENSION FROM EA FORUMS BECAUSE I WROTE A (CLEAN) JOKE
    IN A THREAD THAT EVERYBODY ELSE WAS JOKING IN BECAUSE THE EA CENSORSHIP TOOK CONTROL AND
    CUT OUT ONE OF THE OPS WORDS.

SO THEY SAY I ATTEMPTED TO MAKE PEOPLE BELIEVE THAT I AM AN EA EMPLOYEE IN SOME REGARD WITH MY
    JOKE AND SUSPENDED MY ACCOUNT.

SO WORD TO THE WISE, DON'T JOKE, DON'T EVEN GO OFF TOPIC, DON'T ATTEMPT TO BYPASS ANY
    CENSORED WORDS EVEN IF IT ISN'T THE DARK AGES ANYMORE, DON'T BREATHE TOO HARD, DON'T BLINK
    YOUR EYES, IN FACT, DON'T EVEN POST AT ALL.

IF I HAD ACTUALLY TRIED TO HIDE WHO I WAS IT MIGHT MAKE SOME SENCE, BUT SINCE IT WAS POSTED
    ON MY JALIDA ACCOUNT, IT WAS OBVIOUS THAT TELLING SOMEONE THAT THE MAC AND CHEESE THEY SENT
    WAS YUMMY BUT HURT MY TUMMY WAS A JOKE AND NOT AN ATTEMPT TO PORTRAY MYSELF AS AN EA
    REPRESENTATIVE IN ANY WAY.

THREAD IN QUESTION IS (MAYBE WAS, I COULDN'T ACCESS IT) AT
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/60856.page#538762
    JULY 9, 2009

SEE YA THIS WEEKEND.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top