Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sandpoint City Of Adventure Updated page 8

Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
Front.jpg

Welcome to Sand point, Not been around much since I uploaded my last world, had a little internet problem.

Anyway this is the world I'm currently working on, not much to look at yet, still in the early stages of development:-

Screenshot-7-22.jpg

Screenshot-3-42.jpg

Screenshot-4-40.jpg

Screenshot-5-33.jpg

Screenshot-6-27.jpg

Don't let this pic fool you the actual main bulk of the world will rest on the side of the sea. The town was once a save haven for pirates and you will see more of this when I build the harbor area.
Screenshot-6-19.jpg

So why a adventure world?
Many of the best spawners in the game you will need to complete mini quests to unlock them. The graveyard below contains a mini dungeon, if completed then you will unlock the death plant and special seed drops. This thou is only the tip of the iceberg.
Screenshot-8-23.jpg

Oh dear, is that something that will get removed in beta testing, you have a huge door blocking the Sports center?
You can see my test sim, desperately trying to join the Sports career, like the spawners many of the buildings will have little quests to make the building function correctly
Screenshot-9-21.jpg

Everything in it's place, much of EA worlds and own made world contain world spawners, this world will be very different and contain very few, instead they will be mainly placed in lots. A example of this, how often do you walk down the road and find a rainbow gem? How this will works in the world, should you want a gem, it will mean a trip to the pirates mine, a multi level dungeon with Gem spawners, so it could be possible if you choose, to develop your Sim into a miner.
The hospital below contains the life plants, but you will not get them for free.
Screenshot-10-14.jpg

My last world,"exotic world" was a big learning curve, I hope to improve on many area's in this world over exotic world, some of the improvement include, less lots to increase loading times and playability, Many of the lots I'm designing myself, it not that I don't like other people lots, it more a case of having full control on the world development, residential lots will not contain spawners, the world look and feel more like a base world.
Screenshot-11-19.jpg

That's the end of the preview of my new world, I will update this thread from time to time, so you can see the world develop, I estimate the time of completion to be about 8 weeks(current date 15th September).

Comments

• auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited September 2010
    Wow Stw, :shock: Looks like we're in for another extraordinary treat!

The whole concept is very intriguing. :mrgreen:
  • DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited September 2010
    This looks like another awesome world Stw! I look forward to seeing the finished version. Good luck.
  • SummerSong86SummerSong86 Posts: 2,090 Member
    edited September 2010
    Wow I'm really excited to see you start a new world already. This looks awesome. I am encouraged to see it looks "flatter". I loved Exotic World. I didn't have any performance issues with it. The only reason I couldn't keep it was because it gave me very severe motion sickness. The many peaks and elevations so near the residential lots themselves caused the camera to constantly fly up and down. For those of us prone to vertigo in real life, that can cause headaches and nausea unfortunately. Not for everyone of course. I know myself and Writin Reg were affected. Most people seemed to have no problems, so don't worry about it.

There was one other issue I noticed in Exotic World--I didn't report it because I considered that world complete and the problem wasn't game-stopping so I wasn't expecting you to fix it, but there was some strange routing issues.

For example, and I've experienced this in other worlds where the only access to a beach shoreline was down a steep incline, at one of your beaches the sim would end up walking THROUGH part of the ground to get down the steep incline to the shore. So it's best if you are going to have a community lot that's a beach, make sure the land that accesses it slopes down gradually to it. Otherwise you will see sims wading waist deep through rock and ground! It's unavoidable--they will do this immediately upon exiting a vehicle.

The other issue I saw was when my Sim left the Stadium and jogged to her home which was the broken down house, she jogged through some very awkward terrain, again ending up walking up steep vertical peaks and cutting through ground waist-deep. If you send a sim to jog from the stadium to that broken down house you probably will be able to see what I'm talking about.

There were also a few trees not properly embedded into the ground so they floated a little. And that's all I really noticed that I wanted to point out so you can keep an eye on it for this build.

I love what you do with the sky and all the colors in your world. It was so very beautiful. I will keep Exotic World to visit for short periods of time. And I'm hoping that Adventure World will be something I can play in for a long time. It looks so promising!
  • DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    edited September 2010
    I, too, am excited that you are already working on another world. Where I like puzzles to solve, I'm not big on adventuring as a whole but will maintain an open mind where this world is concerned. Your screens hold all the promise of another visual feast and I know I will be downloading when you think it's ready.

Like SS86, I experience some vertigo in Exotic World and have to limit my play there. Exotic World is not the only world I have had that problem with. The camera controls in Sims3 could sure be better. Some worlds just accentuate that drift more.
  • Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited September 2010
    With exotic world, much of the world was a test to see what I can and can't do. This world promise to include the experience I got from building that world, I've been playing about with exotic world the last few weeks, I can see the area's that need improvement. One of them areas is to keep more of this world on a level footing, less messing about with camera settings the better. I remember back when I started to learn to build, I built a lot that was more a testament to building, with domes and many other things going on, I surpose exotic world was my equilvant of this lot, but in world format. This time around I want to take the good points of that world and start something that will include them.

One big change to the way I'm designing this world, is that I'm building one section at a time, when I section is completed it will be beta tested. It will all fit together like a big jigsaw, this will help me test the lots in much more better fashion. Some of the unlock lots are rather complex and will need a full test.

The adventure world idea, the world will play similiar to any other worlds, the only diffrence will be, the rare spawners will need to be unlocked by doing a small dungeon, quest or use a trait skill to get past something blocking your way. Once the quest is completed it will unlock the location for all time. A example, if you wish to get into the junkyard, you will need to blow up a few objects to get inside. The quests are not tricky and you will complete most of them in 30 second game time, more complex stuff will be the need to purchase them keys from world adventures or find them and just unlock certain areas of the world. It's give you a sence that you are actual doing something with the traits you have and give you something to do with the spare keys from the holiday locations, you will unlock all the locations in the first few game sessions. Of course this will get play tested and is open to change.

edited September 2010
    Stw, you've got an innate ability to build worlds, I do believe. I don't doubt for a second that you'll pull what you like best from Exotic World plus know what you want to change for the better. At this stage it's a plus for you to say things are subject to change because I'm sure as you move along with the project that very thing will happen. Sometimes, creations take on a life of their own :)

edited September 2010
    Many thanks DD :mrgreen:

Here a few of the latest pics of the world

Screenshot-70.jpg

Screenshot-2-39.jpg

Screenshot-3-30.jpg

Screenshot-13-16.jpg

Screenshot-19-10.jpg

Screenshot-20-11.jpg
    edited September 2010
    A new update for you:-

You can start to see the world starting to take shape, but something you can't see is the network of uber divewells that are hidden in the world, they connect the world up, much like the subways will in nightlife.

Screenshot-4-27.jpg

I've started to build the old docks area, this will be built in 3 stages, you live inside the old boat or one of the waterfront house's.
    Screenshot-3-31.jpg

Screenshot-71.jpg

Screenshot-11-20.jpg

This is inside the military base, the Sim is hacking the computer to unlock a door, I wonder what the reward will be.
    Screenshot-10-15.jpg

Beach lovers can relax surrounded by a deep blue sea.
    Screenshot-8-24.jpg

Screenshot-6-20.jpg
  • MATZMATZ Posts: 1,854 New Member
    edited September 2010
    A W E S O M E !! i play with your old world all the time, its fun :) this loosk good too
  • N3mb3rN3mb3r Posts: 2,432
    edited September 2010
    Bookmarked I keep trying to find some more adventure lots but theres none out there :( (that I can find)
    edited September 2010
    MATZ Thanks mate :mrgreen:

N3mb3r - This world contains a number of small mini adventure area's, it will take a long time to find everything, depending on your play style, if your the type of person who does not like the adventure side of the Sims, this world will play like any other world, with just a minimum of effort to unlock a few area's. Thou if you love dungeons & traps then you will find this world will have them. It will make you go holidays to purchase keys to unlock rooms. It uses a number of new methods to unlock stuff, it will make you think. The ultimate aim is unlock all the treasures and the Rare Spawn points.
    I will be leaving room for you to add your own dungeons into the world.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited September 2010
    Stw, this looks absolutely amazing! Even though I'm not big into adventuring, I am super excited about your new world. I am loving each and every pic you post. Watching you breathe life into your newest project is fascinating. Thanks for keeping us updated!
  • N3mb3rN3mb3r Posts: 2,432
    edited September 2010
    I need some tombs that make me think :)
    the harder the better
    just make sure its not cheap treasures
    I hate it when i find a hard tomb I get it done and only get a treasure worth 100 simloians.
    edited September 2010
    I'm sure you will happy with the treasures in the tombs, that's if you can find them :lol: .

I'm planning few bigger tombs, later in the design of the world, I hope to include some designs using the tomb building processor, if I can get my head around what the thing does.

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/index.php?title=Tomb_Building:_The_Processor

Anyway I better get back to building, going to do one more hour before I go bed.
  • Cyberqueen13Cyberqueen13 Posts: 2,835 Member
    edited September 2010
    Wow I have this book marked!
  • estyle36estyle36 Posts: 1,338 New Member
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry to post here Stw, but i still can't understand how i can recolor objects from CAW (the bridges for example). I read your tutorial thread, but i still don't get it. I also tried to find tutorials on Google, but i didn't find anything :( . So if you have time for it, would you please give me your MSN adresse and then help me for the first object ? Then i might be able to do the other ones.

Thanks in advance,

Estyle

PS : Your world is absolutly amazing !
    edited September 2010
    I was making you guide, while you where posting here, oh well :lol: , listen if you have any problems, just let me now, I just need to now what your recoloring I will update the guide I made to include that object.

• BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited September 2010
    Stw, Stw, Stw I have hard wonderful things about your creations and I'm sure your worlds are absolutely superb but I'll NEVER get to know if you don't quit squishing and skewing your pictures. I TRY to look at the screenshots and they make me sick and dizzy so I have to just leave the thread. :oops:
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    edited September 2010
    Squishing and skewing your pictures, I will do no more Squishing for the rest of the preview.

Not 100% sure on what size to use, I'm currently using 512X512, which is the size of pictures I've used since the year dot. I suppose that we are in the age of wide screen, so I will switch the next preview pics to 620X512, I'm just worried about knocking the forum thread off the screen, so I don't want them to be to big.

• SummerSong86SummerSong86 Posts: 2,090 Member
    edited September 2010
    Resize to maintain the ratio of the original screenshot, just make sure the width is no more than 640 pixels. Anything more than that breaks the forum. Somehow when you're resizing you lose the original aspect ratio and it does give a strange effect. Doesn't bother me but seems to induce vertigo in some. I DO have that problem when my husband insists on stretching movies on our DVD player to fit widescreen or some such thing. Nausea! :mrgreen:
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited September 2010
    Yep, Stw, squished. :lol: It looks like you took a regular sized screenshot and resized it to 512x512. Like Summersong said, resize maintaining the original ratio. If you set the width to 600 the height will be 450 pixels.

The skewing thing and the shots taken in fish-eye mode are even worse than the squishing. I hate being such a wimp, seriously I do, but for some reason looking at pictures like that make me dizzy. You should see me when I'm trying to build multiple-story houses, er, well you probably wouldn't want to see me. I nearly make myself sick every time I work on one. :oops:

I do look forward to seeing some REAL pictures of your world. :mrgreen:
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    edited September 2010
    A massive update for you, the world is starting to take shape, some of the tomb area's are complete, many of the area's link up by Uber wells.

Also I can say, I'm currently planning two versions of the world:-

DIRECTOR CUT VERSION
    Contains
    Custom lighting
    Custom Sea
    Custom Graphics
    Sims

CLEAN CUT VERSION
    None of the above

Screenshot-29-3.jpg
    Not all unlockable places you can visit will be dungeon based
    Screenshot-37-2.jpg
    But some will be
    Screenshot-36-2.jpg
    High quality graphics will be included in the Director cut version
    Screenshot-34-1.jpg
    The clean cut version will be built for speed and playability, both version will be compatible with each other
    Screenshot-33-4.jpg
    Screenshot-32-1.jpg
    Screenshot-31-4.jpg
    Be the first to unlock the secret word and win 500 Sim points and unlock the Walkthrough, Hint and tip guide for rest of the world.
    Screenshot-27-5.jpg
    B-Movie week at the cinema, I wonder if you can find the phantom cinema?
    Screenshot-25-6.jpg
    Screenshot-21-12.jpg
    Screenshot-17-8.jpg
    Living in the old dock area
    Screenshot-13-18.jpg
    Screenshot-28-3.jpg
    Screenshot-19-11.jpg
    Screenshot-20-12.jpg
    Screenshot-18-9.jpg

I consider the world to be 40% complete

Many thanks for viewing

edited September 2010
    It will be the director's cut version for me. Looks incredible! When you say it will contain sims, do you mean a save game as you did for Exotic World, or do you mean to prepopulate? I'm hoping for prepopulation myself but whatever works for you will be fine.
    edited September 2010
    DOLLDRMS1 wrote:
    It will be the director's cut version for me. Looks incredible! When you say it will contain sims, do you mean a save game as you did for Exotic World, or do you mean to prepopulate? I'm hoping for prepopulation myself but whatever works for you will be fine.

Many thanks DD, you will be able to use both version of the world with one saved game, you will need to copy the saved game file to your desktop and if you feel the need for speed you can always install the clean cut version, both version will be compatible with each other.
    The direct cut version will come pre-populated with about 10 Sim family's to get you started, this might change if I have any problems.

• MercuriaMercuria Posts: 63 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Bookmarked ;) Looks awesome!