Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Edges

Is it possible to have the off screen edges be land instead of ocean?

Comments

• rambleramble Posts: 70 New Member
    edited August 2010
    From what I've heard, I don't think it's possible. There used to be a tutorial on how to make an inland town, but the post on this forum has been erased and I don't remember what tricks they used to block the ocean from view (other than mountain ranges). If anybody can find a good tutorial on this, I'd really appreciate it.
  • tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited August 2010
    Is it possible to have the off screen edges be land instead of ocean?

If the edges are off screen why do you need for it to be land? I would like to know too, because when I test a world in game, even with the camera non routing, it still shows the dang ocean. O.o
    edited September 2010
    I still haven't figured that out. Does anybody know more about this?
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited September 2010
    I wanna know the same thing.
  • secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited September 2010
    to what i have seen when i used the CAW isn't there camera no route as well as sims no routes, i know when i made my world i did both and camera only went as far as i put the route for it but that was before new one and amb.
  • johnscott10johnscott10 Posts: 157 New Member
    edited September 2010
    The way to create an inland world is to cover 2 of the 256 blocks with camera route paint. it only works on medium+ worlds that im aware of

EXAMPLE
    (Each O is a 256*256 grid, ull be able to denote the 256* square when using CAW)

OOOO
    OOOO
    OOOO
    OOOO
    .....^^
    Cover those 2 Columns and the top 2 rows with the yellow paint and you should have 2 sides where u cant see the ocean.

Larger map with 3 sides covered

OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOO
    ^^...........^^

same again cover the top 2 rows and the selected columns.

This is very quickly done without any real testing.
    But i feel it is what you wanted.

I apologise if it doesnt work

EDIT: Added . because diagrams wernt working properly
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited September 2010
    Hi,

It only works on Large worlds plus hills or mountains need to be made to block the view. Or put the town in a Valley- which would make the out area hills. :mrgreen:
    edited September 2010
    I'm currently working on a desert valley with mountain ranges on all sides. It's a pity I can't make a "real" desert with little or no mountains and a vast horizon. I hope the game developers will address the problem with desert landscapes soon, because it can be a pain to create a city with no shores by using camera routing in all directions...