Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LAA (Large Address Aware) Questions

In a previous thread, I was informed about, what appears to me to be a game mod that is used to increase the size of available memory for the Sims3. I went to MTS and read about it but am suspicious of this LAA because it appears to be a mod and I do have the ability to download patches. Hopefully Big Guy or someone else that is knowledgeable can clarify exactly what LAA is, how safe it is and if it is even necessary. It seems odd that third party content would be required to run an EA game's program correctly.

Comments

• NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited September 2010
    Hi,

Electronic Arts has not checked the source code for any third party programs, such as the LAA utility. As such, we cannot provide any support for them in Technical. If you should have problems with operating the LAA utility, please contact the author of the program directly. Use at your own risk.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Robert_AF709Robert_AF709 Posts: 486 New Member
    edited September 2010
    Thank you Nichaedemus. I will not be using it. I had enough of MTS with the Installer Monkey and WA. They do not support their mods and they punish anyone who asks for help. My opinion of them is :thumbdown: and I would recommend caution to anyone that wants to use their content.
  • simjettsimjett Posts: 5,254 Member
    edited September 2010
    Yes it is a Mod. No it doesn't have anything to do with the ability to download patches.

Google large address aware and or virtual memory for loads of info.
    Modern games and other programs using / requiring lots of virtual ram are coded with it, mostly to the benefit of 64bit operating systems.

What it does is increase the virtual memory available to the game.

This is a snippit of a Sims 3crash log, where the game crashed when it ran out of virtual memory.

"Total page file memory: 16591 Mb
    Available page file memory: 12068 Mb
    Total virtual memory: 2047 Mb
    Free virtual memory: 96 Mb
    "

Large Address Aware is coding to make the programs total virtual memory approx 4000Mb or 4GB.

Necessary? No. Helpful if you're crashing like this? Yes.

For the most part the Game stays within its virtual memory 2047Mb

For the other than most part. Large Address Aware.

• MickieFoxMickieFox Posts: 2,928 Member
    edited September 2010
    Thanks, Simjett. That was very informative. :thumbup: :D
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for the additional information simjett. However, it seems that if this mod was completely safe and system compatible, Microsoft and EA would not need the help of MTS in developing this "enhancement".
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for the additional information simjett. However, it seems that if this mod was completely safe and system compatible, Microsoft and EA would not need the help of MTS in developing this "enhancement".

Making a program large address aware is some kind of programming code, whatever the game is written in, C++, Visual Studio. I'm not that much of a techno nerd to understand it or easily explain it. Ideally EA would have added a couple lines of code in the beginning. Be assured any program with the need of, or benefits with greater than 2GB virtual memory would have it programmed that way. Welcome to 64bit computing :)

So, in my opinion, it is completely safe and compatible. Minor tweaks needed for 32bit operating system though.

ok Im babbling, am still late for work, and need to go. Bye :)
  • hippiedippie927hippiedippie927 Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited September 2010

This is not just a program for gaming and if you don't trust MTS you can
    read about the 4gb patch at NtCore. http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

This is the one I use...it is for 64bit systems. The only difference in the
    one at MTS is that they have made it work for 32bit systems.

I won't comment on Microsoft but EA, apparently, doesn't care to "enhance"
    our games to work properly. Just look at the FPS issue which EA still has
    not addressed!

Anyhoo, the program is completely safe whether downloaded from NtCore or MTS!
    edited September 2010
    I did the same thing as LAA by changing the virtual memory in my computer's settings. Perhaps this LAA is nothing more than a script file that does the same thing.
    (Windows XP)
    left click "Start"
    right click "My Computer"
    select "Properties"
    select "Advanced"
    Select "Performance" "Settings"
    select "Advanced"
    select "Virtual Memory" "Change"
    reset the value to your system's maximum
    This change did very little for me however, my computer's inadequacy is with the CPU.
    edited September 2010
    I did the same thing as LAA by changing the virtual memory in my computer's settings. Perhaps this LAA is nothing more than a script file that does the same thing.
    (Windows XP)
    left click "Start"
    select "Properties"
    select "Advanced"
    select "Advanced"
    This change did very little for me however, my computer's inadequacy is with the CPU.

I don't think that this will effect your game. The game is coded to only use
    2gbs and you must modify the game executable in order to use more than 2gbs.

In your other thread were you not looking into a new computer?

I just checked the other thread and you mentioned a Dell that has 8gbs of RAM.
    But the game will still only use 2gbs if you don't modify the game executable.

And with that ATI Radeon HD5770 graphics card you will need an FPSlimiter if you
    don't want to fry it when playing sims.
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for the education hippiedippie927. Would you please clarify the statement:
    And with that ATI Radeon HD5770 graphics card you will need an FPSlimiter if you

Also, The issue of ram is not my gaming problem, it's the CPU. LAA is not that important to me, I am just curious about it.
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for the education hippiedippie927. Would you please clarify the statement:

Also, The issue of ram is not my gaming problem, it's the CPU. LAA is not that important to me, I am just curious about it.

Ati graphics cards do not have a means of setting v-sync like Nvidia cards
    do. And since the sims games do not have that option within the game options,
    your ATI card will run at very high framerates which will fry your card. This
    is usually more of a problem with the higher-end ATI cards.

I have the ATI Radeon HD4870x2. When WA came out my game starting crashing to
    desktop. Turns out Windows was shutting the game down to protect my computer and
    my graphics card. I installed the FPSlimiter from MATY and it keeps my game at
    30fps. This stopped the crashing and over-heating. Before the limiter my fps
    rate went as high as 450!
    edited September 2010
    (Windows XP)
    left click "Start"
    select "Properties"
    select "Advanced"
    select "Advanced"

The Systems "Virtual Memory" also known as the pagefile and the games "Virtual Memory" is not the same thing. Where and how the game stakes out its virtual memory I don't know. Generally speaking, the pagefile shouldn't be messed with too much unless reading up on it beforehand.

Bottom line regarding Large Address Aware is if you're not crashing because of running out or the games virtual memory, there's no reason to use it :)

Regarding the FPSLimiter and frying of graphics cards, another forgetful programmer left out the Vertical refresh rate limiter, also known as Vertical Sync.

Higher end graphics cards will run at very high frames per second, meaning the card is working harder than necessary and possibly increasing the gpu temperature to the point of meltdown. Nvidia graphics cards have a Vertical sync "force on" option within its Control Panel. ATi cards need a 3rd party program (FPSLimiter-3booter) to accomplish the same. The bottom line is, with any graphics, watch your frames per second and more importantly the gpu temperature.
  • NiNjahawkzNiNjahawkz Posts: 7,538 Member
    edited September 2010
    simjett read my first thread , i know your smart with those things lol
    o7yo879
    < CLICK to J0in >
    edited September 2010
    I did a Google search on "ATI Radeon 5770 compatible with Sims3" and found one blog at Tom's Hardware repeating what was said above about the "Fry" danger. But I found a video at You Tube that was about 2:20 minutes that seemed intended to dispell this fear. The text was italian, so this must be a worldwide issue. Radeon has no live chat, unlike Nvidia, so I am not yet able to resolve this fear about the Radeon's compatability with the Sims3. Maybe I should just continue to play Dawn of Discovery (absolutely beautiful!) which is trouble free. I was not intending to return to the Sims game until the Late Night EP anyway. I will update my thread if I learn more about the incompatability issue.
  • jkmartinez2jkmartinez2 Posts: 2,858 Member
    edited September 2010
    I installed this mod into my game because I was getting intermittent freezing when playing for an extended time.

I have Win 7 Professional, dual core 3GB, and 8GB RAM.

This mod made my game play flawlessly with no freezing even when I played 4 hours non-stop.

It literally saved my game and made it playable, so for me it worked flawlessly.
  • SymantecoSymanteco Posts: 235 New Member
    edited September 2010
    Holy smoke, did you just say Dawn of Discovery? You are right, that is one beautiful game. I forgot I had it LOL...shame on you for mentioning it here :-) Now I'm gonna have to go back and visit it again.

As far as this LAA problem, I've been trying to get EA's attention on this matter for a year, before we knew about the memory limitation issue. They HAD to know, but were totally tight-lipped about it, for a year mind you, while we players just sweated in our own juices with a non-working $50 game.

I finally found the solution and patched the game with the memory fix (LAA as it is now called) and voila' the game plays flawlessly.

A new computer won't solve the problem either, you'll still need the LAA fix.

Maybe, EA will have finally fixed the issue by the time Late Night comes out (one can only hope), but until then, we're stuck with the DEP and LAA dance.
  • JaanaDruidJaanaDruid Posts: 1,116 New Member
    edited September 2010
    As far as this LAA problem, I've been trying to get EA's attention on this matter for a year, before we knew about the memory limitation issue. They HAD to know, but were totally tight-lipped about it, for a year mind you, while we players just sweated in our own juices with a non-working $50 game.
    Well said Symanteco! Well said. :D

Robert_AF709,
    this is a very helpful link on LAA/DEP, should you ever decide to change your mind about wanting to use all the RAM on your motherboard in the future
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/242984.page

Happy Simming!
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited September 2010
    Fried graphics cards due to high FPS? Maybe this is true of lower end cards not geared to run games with any kind of graphics. But I suspect it is truer of people who do not know how to properly ventilate their game cases. I have a Radeon HD 5850. The graphics card fan kicks into high when the card undergoes any kind of heating. Do people not listen to their fans and pay attention? I don't run my car when it starts smoking from the hood either.

In my case I use no FPSlimiter. I allow the game to do what it does and the fan never kicks up because my case is properly ventilated.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • KaneMagusKaneMagus Posts: 20 New Member
    edited September 2010
    Ever since I applied this LAA patch directly to my Sims 3 .exe files, I have had no problems whatsoever with the game crashing after that point (currently running on Win7 64-bit with 4GB RAM). Before that, it was crashing every day, sometimes two or three times per day, almost always when I tried to save it, which was incredibly annoying.

When I loaded the game today for the first time in a couple of weeks, and it tried to download and install the 4.3.4 patch for Ambitions (the only .exe files on which I had applied the LAA patch), it broke the patch update and caused this to happen. This was the first Sims 3 patch that I'd tried to apply since using the LAA application. Luckily, I had made copies of the original .exe files before I had applied the LAA patch. When I deleted the LAA modified .exe files, renamed the copies to the original, and then re-ran the 4.3.4 patch, everything worked fine. I then reapplied that LAA patch to the newly 4.3.4 patched .exe files (after making copies of them again, of course), since I don't want it to start crashing on me again.
    edited September 2010
    I said that I would update this thread when I knew more about the issue of the Radeon HD 5770 "frying" with Sims3 and below is the response from AMD which is the parent company of Radeon.
    Thank you for your request. Based on the information provided, we understand that you have some concerns about the Radeon HD 5770 with performance in Sims3.

Generally, all Radeon HD 5000 Series use ATI PowerPlay, which ramps down the frames per second when not required in order to conserve power. As well, idle wattage drops from ~110W to 20W automatically when additional performance is not required. In actuality, the Radeon HD 5000s are well ahead of the nVIDIA GTX 460/470/480s in temperature. Refer to many reviews on maximum temperatures and subsequent overheating failure caused by nVIDIA graphics through hothardware.com, tomshardware.com, maximumpc.com, pcworld.com.

In addition, the issues compiled are related to an incompatible motherboard, which is only able to support PCIe x16 1.0/1.1(a). As long as the Radeon HD 5770 is installed in a motherboard that supports PCIe x16 2.0 or higher, no issues as those described will occur. For vertical synchronization, the option is available in the ATI Catalyst Control Center to use for adjustment of vertical blanking or motherboard timing/frequency issues with PCIe x16 1.0/1.1(a). Therefore, FPSLimiter-3booter is not required.

Please contact us if you require additional information. If we do not receive a response back from you within 10 days, the Service Request will be closed, and you will need to open a new Service Request if your issue is not yet resolved.

Thank you for choosing AMD!

• JaanaDruidJaanaDruid Posts: 1,116 New Member
    edited September 2010
    When I loaded the game today for the first time in a couple of weeks, and it tried to download and install the 4.3.4 patch for Ambitions (the only .exe files on which I had applied the LAA patch), it broke the patch update and caused this to happen. This was the first Sims 3 patch that I'd tried to apply since using the LAA application. Luckily, I had made copies of the original .exe files before I had applied the LAA patch. When I deleted the LAA modified .exe files, renamed the copies to the original, and then re-ran the 4.3.4 patch, everything worked fine. I then reapplied that LAA patch to the newly 4.3.4 patched .exe files (after making copies of them again, of course), since I don't want it to start crashing on me again.
    KaneMagus,
    since you're using FordGT90Concept's LAA fixer, you didn't need to do all that work in replacing the exe files. The EA game updates will automatically override the LAA fixer (FordGT90Concept's explicitly mentions this in his intruction text file that is part of the zip file download). All you had to do to re-enable Ford's LAA fix, was to update your game to 4.3 and then re-run the LAA fixer on the ver 4.3 patched TS3EP02.exe. Just something to consider in the future! :)