Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Asking a sim to "move in"

Twice now I had sims that were romantically involved with eachother and I never got an option for my sim to ask the other sim to move in with them. I only got the options for propose marriage & the get married. Is this the same with just friends also? How do you get a sim to just "move in". I'm getting frustrated. Thank you! P.S. I do know that you have to be having a real good conversation so that is not the problem.

Comments

• saricaelinorsaricaelinor Posts: 422 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Move in is a friendly interaction, not romantic.
  • Sim_OutlawSim_Outlaw Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2009
    Make sure you only have one romantic Interest. If you have more than one you may not get this option.
    edited June 2009
    That's not actually true Sim_Outlaw :P

You can have as many romantic interests as you like, just only one boy or girl friend/fiance/spouse at a time.
    edited June 2009
    That's not actually true Sim_Outlaw :P

You can have as many romantic interests as you like, just only one boy or girl friend/fiance/spouse at a time.

Hmm I had six romantic interests and never got the option for one girl I wanted to move in until I broke it off with the other five. I spent hours of clicking the same action until my sis came up and said you have to break it off with the other five first.

Now if you are married this may be true but me having six girlfriends at the same time I never got the option to move one in until I broke up with the other five.
  • SimsAddict09SimsAddict09 Posts: 127 New Member
    edited June 2009
    So you can only have "friends" move in and NOT romantic interests? This is dumb...
    edited June 2009
    No, you can have anyone move in. What I mean is that instead of doing a chain of romantic interactions with your romantic interest you do a chain of friendly interactions.

And I've had no problem with the moving in sims, Sim_Outlaw...I tried it with my heartbreaker sim. She had four romantic interests at the time and managed to get one of them to move in.
    edited June 2009
    So you can only have "friends" move in and NOT romantic interests? This is dumb...

I have no idea now but I can tell you when I only had one romantic Interest I was able to get her to stay the night first but as I said I had to break it off with the other ones. So whether or not it is true you will just have to try it.

I did not get the option to have my sim move in until I broke it off with the other five. I tried everything and just never had the option.

So just try whatever works for you.
  • SimsAddict09SimsAddict09 Posts: 127 New Member
    edited June 2009
    No, you can have anyone move in. What I mean is that instead of doing a chain of romantic interactions with your romantic interest you do a chain of friendly interactions.

And I've had no problem with the moving in sims, Sim_Outlaw...I tried it with my heartbreaker sim. She had four romantic interests at the time and managed to get one of them to move in.

Gotcha, thanks! I just kept doing romantic interactions so I never saw it become available in any interaction type.
  • kellywestkellywest Posts: 899 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The move-in thing is annoying. I've seen it appear the second someone falls into the best-friend category and other times it never appears and I get fed up and just evict them from their household in edit-town mode and merge them with the household. It seems to appear less with romantic relationships (even if you're repeating friendly interactions. Once there's a heart, I've found I can't get the 'move in' option.

It's a flaw in the game (glitch or not) that it seems so random. The option should be there for 2 Sims whose relationship is maxed out in the green. You shouldn't have to marry a Sim just to get them to move in.

I think I've gotten the "move in" option when I actually wanted it like one time since I started playing the game.

edited June 2009
    kellywest wrote:
    The move-in thing is annoying. I've seen it appear the second someone falls into the best-friend category and other times it never appears and I get fed up and just evict them from their in edit-town mode and merge them with the household. It seems to appear less with romantic relationships (even if you're repeating friendly interactions. Once there's a heart, I've found I can't get the 'move in' option.

It's a flaw in the game (glitch or not) that it seems so random. The option should be there for 2 Sims whose relationship is maxed out in the green. You shouldn't have to marry a Sim just to get them to move in.

I think I've gotten the "move in" option when I actually wanted it like one time since I started playing the game.

So just cheat.

shift + control + c, type in testingCheatsEnabled true, shift click the sim you want to move in and select 'add to active household.'
    edited June 2009
    Yeah but I don't think you should have to rely on cheats for an option that should be there. To me that's no different than going to edit-town and splitting/merging to get the Sim moved in. It breaks from the flow of the game. There's just something more satisfying by being able to invite a Sim to move in and having them say yes. To me that's a part of the game. Establishing and developing relationships. Forcing an action like that is just annoying. If they're on the best terms possible, either romantic or platonic, they should always have the move-in option.
  • FlyingLizard2005FlyingLizard2005 Posts: 108 New Member
    edited June 2009

Ahhh no wonder I couldn't get it to work...gotta love the forums :D
    edited June 2009
    Well....the option is there. For the vast majority of people, the reason the option does not come up is because they do not do a straight chain of friendly interactions unbroken by other types of interactions on a sim with high enough relationship points. Admittedly, I don't know whether you're doing this or not. If you are, then that does ****.

I only suggest the cheat because it takes less time then evicting/merging.
    edited June 2009
    As I said, in my experience the only time I've seen the option is as soon as the two Sims become best friends. It disappears after that. If there's a romantic interest before they reach best friend status, I don't see the move in option, even with a string of friendly interactions and an excellent (maxed out) relationship. If they're on good terms enough to propose marriage they should be on good terms enough to move in.
    edited June 2009
    saricaelinor if you use the cheat do you get the option to move in other people from the Sim's household?
    edited June 2009
    I agree....my guess is that because move in is a friendly option you need to max out your friendship level, and because proposing is a romantic option you need to max out your romantic level.

I would like to have move in always available though.

Edit: shift click on any sim ANYWHERE- the maid, all of the sims from that sims household, a random baby you find in the park. You don't have to be at home to do this for it to work.
  • kayleigh1306kayleigh1306 Posts: 36 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I got the move in option once i invited the person to stay a few times , also they where my best friend and romantic interest , then i invited them over while my sim was in a high mood and the option there , it takes a long time though ! :-)
  • saraandchestersaraandchester Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    From my experience you have to do a bunch of friendly interactions in a row without any romantic, funny, ect. interactions in between, when you see "(other sims name) thinks (your sims name) is being sociable" thats when you can ask them to move in.
  • sims3geekssims3geeks Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    I am currently playing the sims. I had two people on a boyfriend/girlfriend maxed out relationship. I didn't see the move in option on either romantic or friendly. So, after reading through these on how to ask a sim to move in, I decided to try a stein of friendly interactions. Sure enough, it worked. All you need to do is a lot of friendly interactions after one another, make sure your sims relationship is maxed out, and you should see the move in option under friendly. I don't think they need to be romantically involved to have this.
  • maxthekingtheboymaxthekingtheboy Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Listen guys, there is actually a way to get a Sim to move in when they become friends or higher.

I recommend Solace In Sound's Move In Mod, downloadable off Mod The Sims at this link: http://modthesims.info/d/356510 :D

This mod will make it so much easier for your Sims to get another Sim to move into the active household without cheating.

I got my Sim to move his girlfriend in. The only thing you have to do:

1. Have a Sim that wants to move in another Sim (DUH)

2. Have your Sim be a Friend or higher to the other Sim

3. Do any Friendly interaction

4. The option will pop up to move in when you go to do a Friendly interaction!

I hope this helps!

MaxTheKingTheBoy :D

P.S. If you don't know how to download mods or don't have a mod folder, visit this link: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files#Setup_Folders_.26_Files
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited June 2014
    Look out for what they think of one another. You should be able to ask them to move in when you see 'friendly' pop up in their interactions bar.

For example "Charlie thinks Miranda is being friendly." It should be available then! :D
    giphy.gif