Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Apocalypse Challenge! Adapted for The Sims 3!

Comments

• Options
    simplayer100simplayer100 Posts: 98
    edited July 2010
    I think a good idea would be to make a scrap town of either Sunset Valley, Riverview or Twinbrook (if Twinbrook is allowed, THATS a loophole, buy a cheapo lot from Twinbrook!!!!! :twisted: ) Evict EVERY HOUSEHOLD, go into a Create A World hood, move them into little huts, make your founder and VIOLA! A new Sunset Valley, just a desert wasteland!!!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Greetings all :) I've spent the entire day reading through this thread to make sure I've got it all down.

I played 2 apocalypse households all the way through in Sims2. One before Pets and one after.

One thing I noticed here - you can get leftovers from the fridge for the sims3 AC, but in Pinstar's original, getting leftovers out of the fridge for one sim counted as your 1 meal of the day. I'm cool w/ it though :P I always thought that rule was very frustrating.

Some suggestions for Ambitions restrictions - instead of painting level 10, do Davinci Sim in that place. It's harder, yes. Very much harder - but we have more things to skill with. (covers painting and handiness skills as well as sculpture and inventing)

I like the idea of no calling the fire department or fire alarms till Firefighter is cleared.

Also INSTEAD of befriending a ghost - clear ghost hunter career for the supernatural restriction.

No mirror interactions except charisma till you have a Stylist reach 10.

No buying anything over a certain simolean amount in buy mode, or using anything but a specific set of paints/floors/panelings in build until Architecture is cleared.

Something else from Pin's original challenge - if you hadn't had a sim clear Education, your teens could not go to High School. You might incorporate that?

I'm building an apocalypse world (complete with burnt out cars, scorched trees and barren landscape. Since we now finally have some neighborhood editing available to us - like placing new lots, trees, ect - it will only have 12 non-challenge townie lots and 8 challenge lot spaces. All rabbit holes will be included and there will be space for building hang outs, gyms, libraries and art galleries within challenge restrictions (yay, a solon that is only 8x8 :P).

A hint if you wish to skip selling everything and re-buying it - go to buy/build mode and look at how much your property costs furnished vs. unfurnished. Subtract the furnished from the unfurnished and multiply that result by .6. That will give you the total simoleon amount to subtract in FamilyFunds cheat (if that works for you) or to buy and stick it in your sims family inventory.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Update (if anyone is reading this thread any more) on my Apocalypse Challenge world. It's called Viper Valley, based on the Viper Canyon map from Sims2, and it's going to be cool :D (yeah yeah, they all say that).

There are 8 challenge lots. 4 are pre-built ad very close to $16500 furnished and come with a bed, book shelf, table with 2 chairs, grill,fridge, counter, toilet, sink and a cheap car. I've put in 14 lots for townies, and the 3 pre-builds you don't move in will be used by townies as well. All rabbit holes and career lots are included, but you have to build them up after you are allowed to build and after you have a sim clear that particular career path. There is room for over 40 large lots you place yourself in game too.

I'll have it done this week, or pretty close any way. I'll post a link when it's ready for download if anyone is interested :)

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    lberen00lberen00 Posts: 15 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I am reading still & very interested in your town. I look forward to it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It should be ready soon - I'm in beta testing right now :)

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    fireflier75fireflier75 Posts: 99 New Member
    edited July 2010
    There is a little problem with clearing the building restrictions you will have to lift the politics restriction before accepting the Architectural designer career. because I tried out the new career on a test game and found that one has to go to clients homes and redesign rooms, or add rooms. which may be hard to to with the 8x8 shelter size. It is also hard to please some customers. I am not using the ambitions careers in my challenge yet. My challenge so far has lifted a lot of restrictions and i would like to see if Asleigh does change anything. I have already lifted the ghostly encounter restriction I wonder if she does change that restriction if I will have to start it over.

Edit
    I am using a world created by tzsims in which I replaced all the houses with 8x8 shelters, Sunset Valley: the Aftermath. Its a little grey but it works for there is not much plant life around and with the new expansion I was able to remove them.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I just posted new thread with an update and rewrite of the Legacy Challenge rules along with a link to download Viper Valley and the challenge associated specifically with my world. You might like to utilize that concept if you like :).

Something you might consider with Architecture - you can go up (4 floors) or down (5 floors) for a total of 9 floors of expansion space for your redecorating and rebuilding projects. If you haven't cleared political and athletic, however, things could be tough.

I love that you found a modified Sunset Valley :D

You can look at what I did with the paranormal restrictions for the Ghost Hunter Career if you like. I would never suggest you switch rules in the middle, and if you feel most comfortable with Ashliegh's rewrite, by all means stick with it :)

My rules are a LOT stiffer, however, than Ash's :P I tried to keep everything within the spirit that Pinstar wrote the challenge back in '04. It was very hard, especially before you finished culinary. I nearly had sims starve to death before I could feed them again!

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    SamanthaajaneSamanthaajane Posts: 12 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Hay everyone!
    I just found this page a few days ago.. and i must admit i had only heard about Pinstar's version for the Sims 2, but never got the time/ effort to look at it. Boy what have i missed!?!

I have spent the last few days reading as much as i can of this blog and all its comments. :)
    I'm quite disappointed that i missed this those few months back!

I really wanted to give it ago.. but i noticed Ashleigh's having some trouble adding ambitions into it.

So i'v decided to give it a whirl myself.. trying to add ambitions into it. Cause i'm dying to give this a go! But i no once Ashleigh releases her updated version i'll delete my family and start fresh with her updated rules :D

And by the way thanks so much for updating this challenge to the sims 3!
    I no i wouldn't of been able to do it :)

It may not of been your original challenge but you've surely have made an imprint on it. And thanks to Pinstar to originally making it :):)
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I really wanted to give it ago.. but i noticed Ashleigh's having some trouble adding ambitions into it.

Take a look at the rules I posted last night. Granted, my version is more restrictive than Ashleigh's (sim HAS to quit work if pregnant because of mandatory 5 days off and you have to unlock the ability to buy different lifetime rewards as you clear careers), but if you want to stick w/ Ashliegh's version, you can adapt my Ambitions rules to hers.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    @ Mikitta.
    I'v had a quick glance through yours. But i plan to fully read it some time tonight.
    Since i have never played this challenge before i might adapt some of yours into Ashleigh's version. Once i am familiar i will sure to try your harder/restricted version out :)
    Thankyou.

Sammi.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    sounds good to me :)

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    lberen00lberen00 Posts: 15 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I like it. Doesn't sound too strict!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ahh thank you :)

Hehe, I had to restart from a 3 hour save the other night. My founder was 1 day away from promotion to lift Hopelessness when he CAUGHT ON FIRE! I couldn't do anything but watch him burn :*( THAT was frustrating!

I've started saving every Monday, now, when they pay their protection money.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    @ Mikitta I'v looked through your version. very nice :) I have combined yours and Ashleigh's. Sorry to hear about loosing your game. I would of refused to even think about the game if i lost that much.

I have decided to start writing a blog :) Well attempt to anyways :P
    It will be in diary style similar to Asheligh's (Btw Ash urs is fantastic)

I Haven't actually started but i have been setting up. Would love for use to have a look. I made a different story up about how the apocalypse started too.

Link to it: http://hensleyapocalypse.blogspot.com/2010/07/side-notes-index-page.html

Sammi
  • Options
    Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited July 2010
    Hey everyone!

Drew, that sounds fine. ^^ Just if you take anything from this challenge and use it in yours, credit both Pinstar and myself, please.

For anyone confused about building your home on pillars, they can be found in the Build menu. It's the icon of the pillar beside the arch, I think.

Mhmm, Ambitions is proving to be difficult to update the challenge for, because it overlaps with so many other career restrictions. I may combine two careers into one restriction somehow, but I'm still not totally sure.

I also need to hurry and update before Late Night comes out. Then I'll need to start thinking about how to update the challenge to include that EP. Oi...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mikitta, your challenge sounds cool I might try it after finishing this challenge. Your rewrite of the apacolypse challenge does look really cool. I even might use your world for my next challenge attempt.
  • Options
    RowniaRownia Posts: 3 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Can someone please please post a link to download a 'barren world'? I saw the Aftermath-world on here, but I only have the basegame and this neighborhood makes my game crash while loading.

I downloaded the CaW-tool but I don't understand any of it...

Someone have a base-game compatible one for me? Doesn't need to be fancy, just barren-looking.

*Also, I have a question about the Evil restriction. When it says we can only have one of each type of crafted item on the lot, does that mean items we've crafted ourselves? Or does it apply to all items? For example, can I have only one book in my bookcase/inventory at all times? Or can I have multiple books, but only one I've written myself?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    rambleramble Posts: 70 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Rowenia: I'm afraid there aren't many barren worlds in the exchange - or at least not ones that work with the base game only. I tried to find one by searching for a couple of days, but most of them required WA (which I don't have) or crashed before I ever could enter the world. I had to cheat and just pick a normal world and make my sim live in an outer corner with less trees and houses... :P

---

I'm rather worried whether my sim will have time to have children in time, as I'm playing with normal speed. I remember having problems with this in the Sims 2 version of AC (I had to strat over twice because my founder died before being able to have a woman move in). This time I'm trying a different approach by having the sim become a doctor. One of the most annoying things is to try and keep the sim clean by washing hands, and once the babies come along, it would be impossible to keep the sims happy. Sooo, I decided against going to the military which used to be my number one choise in TS2.

I'm also playing by the more difficult rules (introduced by mikitta) and therefore had less money to begin with but I was smart enough to bring a car (which I of course lost to the criminals after the initial seven days). I used it to bring home two friends from work, one of whom was my sim's boss. Then I made them fall in love to enable my sim inviting his boss over whenever needed (to get promotions more easily).

So far my sim has just turned adult and is somewhere on stage 4 in his career. I haven't had enough money to buy a double bed yet, so my sim will have to hold on a while longer before getting married or moving anyone in for that matter.
  • Options
    wawawa7wawawa7 Posts: 46
    edited August 2010
    Wow! If anybody wants to read my legacy, here is the link: http://crystalblue42.blogspot.com/2010_07_25_archive.html
  • Options
    rambleramble Posts: 70 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, my first attempt didn't work out. I realised that all my spouse possibilities had already turned elder and I couldn't find a new one wihout a car... Not to self: do NOT try to play this challenge with normal lifespan -.-

I have a question about the Military restriction: Is my sim allowed to roam the neighbourhood if they won't go to a community lot? Or is my sim allowed to stand in front of their work place after work to try and find a mate? I'm guessing this is not allowed (as it would have been impossible in TS2, and it would make the challenge too easy).

Does anybody have a good combination of traits if I try to lift the Military restriction first? How do I make the sim not care about a messy house and a smelly self? It seems that these two things affect the sim's mood so much that it's nearly impossible to do anything once at home... And also, which is the easiest way to gain athletic points and not break any rules (i.e. leaving the lot to go for a jog etc)?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Roaming the neighborhood is, as far as I know, not allowed.

I lifted Military first as well, and I used this set of traits, which worked out just fine for me:

- Athletic (needed for career)
    - Handy (needed for career)
    - Inappropriate (so sim can take a spongebath at the sink)
    - Workaholic (so sim gets the 'likes work'-moodlet and can work from home)
    - Brave (so sim can wrestle burglars and put out fires)

Messy houses weren't so much a problem for me; I needed to train my handiness-skill anyway so I made the plumbing self-cleaning.

The easiest way to raise athletic is sadly just to use the 'work-out'-option on the radio. I did go jogging though, if that would come up in the wish-panel, but I would just jog around my own house, never leaving the lot so as not to break the Military Restriction. I would also let the sim jog anywhere I could instead of walking. Need to go outside to pay bills? Jog. Need to go upstairs to use the bathroom? Jog. It only helps a little bit, but every little bit is welcome.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Making a world that is base game compatible ... I need to look into it a bit and see if I can adjust Viper Valley so it doesn't have any expac content at all, or perhaps just make a new desert world and make sure it only has base game stuff. That's the difficulty - a lot of the decorations environment things, spawners - are hard to discern what is base and what is expansion for the sake of compatablity.

But I will give it a try :)

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey all its been a while, I know But I finally posted the next chapter in the Kinjou Trails.

http://fireflier75.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/kinjou-trials-4-2-lifes-little-complications/

The Aftermath world needs world adventures, because of the excavating sites, nectary and some of the landscape items that was added. I am not good at making worlds sorry or I would have tried making one base game only.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    mikitta47 wrote:
    But I will give it a try :)

That would be awesome, thank you :D
  • Options
    bunnyofdoombunnyofdoom Posts: 15 New Member
    edited August 2010
    @Ramble
    Instead of the suggested inappropriate trait, I think slob works pretty well. Your sim may not ever shower, but they won't mind. My founder has yet to bathe even though she's now an adult who has reached the top of the military career, but she has no negative moodlet (or at least a deduction from mood) because she's a slob. Same thing goes for a filthy environment. Slobs can also eat spoiled food without getting sick, so that one meal a day isn't a big deal. Thank god her hubby ended up being a slob as well!