Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing .package files on Macs (the new way)

Comments

• Zachemc2Zachemc2 Posts: 1,817 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Double post. Sorry.
  • ChemicalwibsChemicalwibs Posts: 6,345 Member
    edited July 2010
    You're welcome :wink:
    wibsandthesims.tumblr.com
  • NekoWolf37NekoWolf37 Posts: 1,400
    edited July 2010
    I've followed your guide down to the letter, and I have 4.2. Everything worked for a couple of days, now it's not working again.

--Yes, Resource.cfg does say 501 at the top.
    --I delete CASPartChache.package, compositorCache.package, simCompositorCache.package, and scriptCache.package before CC. I also delete them before I play, because I heard that when the game redesigns them, CC will work too.
    --The only files in the Package file are .package files.
    --I turn off the game and turn it back on in case it was a temporary thing.

So I really don't know what's going on! And it's only the hair that's messing up. Clothes and furniture aren't touched. I heard it was something to do with the fact that most (if not all) CC makers use a PC format so its not completely made for Mac, even though it shows up sometimes.

Ahh! I'm so confused and sick of default hair!
    edited July 2010
    Might wanna try to delete CASThumbnails and CASobjects in TS3/Thumbnails.
    edited July 2010
    I'll try. Sorry, I don't possess the Tech Touch. I'm completely useless with computers.
    edited July 2010
    Eh...didn't work....maybe it's something I downloaded?
    edited July 2010
    What have you downloaded since it worked?
    edited July 2010
    Nothing. Ok so that theory is busted. Anything else to make it messed up?
    edited July 2010
    Do you have any CC .sims3packs installed in your launcher?
    edited July 2010
    Yes, Newsea Hair. But I put them in the Downloads folder and they aren't in the Packages folder.
    edited July 2010
    When was that installed?
    edited July 2010
    7/17, but everything worked fine. I don't know if it's in the game now, since all I see are bald/barely-there hair pictures.
    edited July 2010
    First, move TS3/Mods to desktop.
    Second, go to TS3/DCCache and delete the just the .dbc files. Do not empty from the trash.
    Third, put back the Mods folder back into TS3 and try then.
    edited July 2010
    Nope. But I did notice something else. All the other CC is gone, except for the hair. Well, at least that's what I see. No patterns or clothes, but the guy's hair choice is there when I go to change appearance, since it's just a store bought one right now. I put the .dbc file back but I haven't restarted my game.

Good thing I backed everything up on a thumb drive so I can reinstall it all if needed x.x
    edited July 2010
    Try removing the items from your launcher that are CC.
    edited July 2010
    I'm really sorry, I must be taking up a lot of your time.

The hair didn't come back but some patterns and clothing did. I can deal with no CC hair if there's nothing that can be done to fix it.
    edited July 2010
    Yes. That is the case right now. I am deeply sorry.
    edited July 2010
    It's fine ^^ I'll figure out how to fix it somehow.
  • swilkenswilken Posts: 33 Member
    edited August 2010
    Dear Chemicalwibs,

I have been searching these forums for the last 3 days trying to find a solution to getting custom hair in the sims 3. I have noticed that you are also a mac user and have custom hair in your avatar. I was wondering if there are certain ones from certain sites that you know work? Maybe I have just downloaded a bad one. I loaded my game yesterday and I had the few custom hairs I downloaded for a bit but when I exited out to get more and then loaded the game again they were all bald... which has happened before.
    I have heard that this is something that is happening with all mac users with the new patch but I thought this new way would work as it has worked for you.
    If you or anyone could give me any suggestions (if allowed on here) I would greatly appreciate it!
  • meatloafpotatoemeatloafpotatoe Posts: 7 New Member
    edited September 2010
    I have read so much on installing CC on macs, and I seem to be doing everything right, but none of it shows up in the game. Am I supposed to do something else once I move the package to the mods folder?
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited September 2010
    swilken, the only 'secret' to get the cc hair to work is to re-start your game until you see it. The most difficult thing about the 'hair glitch' for those who have it is that it sometimes doesn't work, and that re-starting the game often will make it work.
    It's very hard to fix 'now you see it, now you don't' type of errors.
  • ChemicalwibsChemicalwibs Posts: 6,345 Member
    edited September 2010
    swilken wrote:
    Dear Chemicalwibs,

I have been searching these forums for the last 3 days trying to find a solution to getting custom hair in the sims 3. I have noticed that you are also a mac user and have custom hair in your avatar. I was wondering if there are certain ones from certain sites that you know work? Maybe I have just downloaded a bad one. I loaded my game yesterday and I had the few custom hairs I downloaded for a bit but when I exited out to get more and then loaded the game again they were all bald... which has happened before.
    I have heard that this is something that is happening with all mac users with the new patch but I thought this new way would work as it has worked for you.
    If you or anyone could give me any suggestions (if allowed on here) I would greatly appreciate it!

KarinL already answered this:
    KarinL wrote:
    swilken, the only 'secret' to get the cc hair to work is to re-start your game until you see it. The most difficult thing about the 'hair glitch' for those who have it is that it sometimes doesn't work, and that re-starting the game often will make it work.
    It's very hard to fix 'now you see it, now you don't' type of errors.

I agree with her. The hair doesn't always show when I open the game either, but after re-starting (sometimes it take a couple of tries) it shows. It's annoying, but there's nothing else we can do. I think when I replied in this thread the first time, I had yet to experience the missing hair. So it seems like I don't have this problem, but I do. Hope this helps :wink:

wibsandthesims.tumblr.com
  • MKhoninMKhonin Posts: 68 New Member
    edited October 2010
    I can't get this to work :(
  • hwayhway Posts: 30
    edited December 2010
    Well this did get my .package files to show up, so thank you for that, i was really worried about them :)
    but my sims are still bald.
    & i don't have any sim3pack hair anymore.
    i was just wondering if anything has changed or maybe a guesstimation of how many times you have to run the game before the hair isn't bald anymore?
    or if you deleted some .package files & that got the hair to not be bald anymore?
  • Lorna_08Lorna_08 Posts: 174 New Member
    edited December 2010
    I already had CC hair on my sims but I didn't remember hot to install new ones so I came here. I then found out that I had no folder named "Mods" and do wonder if it's because of the software update (it asked to upgrade today, I haven't used the game in months). I did all the steps but the blue window with all the package file names won't pop up. And I also wonder where are the files for my old CC hair? They appear on the game and the new won't. I'm a bit lost since It's been a while.

help?

WAIT! I don't have ambitions. What's ambitions? IS there a link for the regular way?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top