Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing .package files on Macs (the new way)

Comments

• KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited July 2010
    What does your resource.cfg look like? Is it directly in Mods, not in a sub-folder?

Mine is only four lines, and it works just fine:

Priority 500
    PackedFile \*.package
    PackedFile \*\*.package
    PackedFile \*\*\*.package

I have folders named 'Mods', 'Objects', 'Test', 'Patterns' directly in the Mods folder, without the additional layer of having a 'Packages' folder.

Note: my cc showed up before I installed Ambitions, and it's still showing. But all the Sims3Pack stuff from the store had to be re-downloaded. :(
  • Zachemc2Zachemc2 Posts: 1,817 New Member
    edited July 2010
    You can keep your old mods setup if you would like. However, the new setup gives you a pop-up at the start of the game for script mods and displays a blue folder icon in the corner where objects in the mods folder are.
  • DylannyDylanny Posts: 468
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone know.....
    Will I need to switch to this new configuration, which I've yet to really get right, moving forward?
    edited July 2010
    You don't have to. However, it is better.
  • QueenDivettaQueenDivetta Posts: 1,332 Member
    edited July 2010
    Thank you so much for posting this!!! It helped me immensely!! My only question now is that my Macbook Pro (which I'm pretty sure is the newest version, I got it at Christmas) is not auto-unzipping .rar files. It'll unzip .zip files right off the internet without me doing anything, so I assume it's got a program somewhere on it. But I don't know how to make it unzip the .rar files. Help please?
    edited July 2010
    you can get RAR expander (free) at http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/index.shtml
  • dolcevitaax3dolcevitaax3 Posts: 24
    edited July 2010
    You're a lifesaver! I couldn't get the story progression mod to work on my macbook forever. and when I tried it this way it worked! :)
  • coleyfelixcoleyfelix Posts: 9 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Thank-you so much for this, I followed your instructions and my game loaded a lot faster and the screen did pop up saying I had downloaded the game modification. I'm still having trouble with a few things, though. All the the hairs I downloaded are there, but when I select them in CAS they show up as bald or broken. Same with certain clothes.

I'll go over everything once more, though, and see if anything is wrong with my downloads. Thanks for putting all the effort into this for us, it's really appreciated. :D
    edited July 2010
    It seems that it is not compatible with ambitions. You might want to check where you got them as some mods will not work.
    edited July 2010
    I reinstalled ambitions (just so i could install the "kill running everywhere" mod. And your method did indeed work.
    (I then unistalled ambitions cause the "same sex pregnancy" mod kills all sim interaction in ambitions.

sigh.
    edited July 2010
    Yep. It's a pain. One time, I installed this fire mod and it crashed my whole computer. If only the Indie Stone Mod Compatibility program could be used for macs, and trust me, you do not want to run that in wine.
    edited July 2010
    Zach.... you had told me to delete the d3d file.
    I never did and everything worked fine.
    Why do you think I need to do that?
    (I friended you by the way-- it's the only way I had to thank you for all your work and patience.)
    edited July 2010
    Well, I have no idea. I just thought they would conflict. Plus it also saves a couple kilobytes of disc space.
    edited July 2010
    By the way, Dylanny, do you have the Tiki set? Just wondering.
    edited July 2010
    no, no tiki set..... why do you ask?
    edited July 2010
    Zach.... since you seem to be a genius, can I ask you something? Is it me, or does the game simply play slower with a larger house.
    I have one house with 7 sims and tons ofd CC. (only one mod, btw) and I feel like the wait between actions is much longer than in my other houses that have 4 sims and no CC.

As is the time to load both the game and the graphics of the house. By that I mean... well, the game takes ages to load, i guess that was clear. (I actually think it's related to both the CC and the history of the game, now in it's third generation.) But also if I'm in the house, all is good.... if I zoom back to the house from the park or something, there's always a few seconds of sims floating in gray while their surroundings load. Do you think that's all the CC?

(I have a pretty souped up machine. MacPro 1.1, ATI 4870 and 12 gigs of ram, so I feel like it should play without lag.)

Just curious as to your thoughts.
    Thanks.
    edited July 2010
    Dylanny wrote:
    Zach.... since you seem to be a genius, can I ask you something? Is it me, or does the game simply play slower with a larger house.
    I have one house with 7 sims and tons ofd CC. (only one mod, btw) and I feel like the wait between actions is much longer than in my other houses that have 4 sims and no CC.

As is the time to load both the game and the graphics of the house. By that I mean... well, the game takes ages to load, i guess that was clear. (I actually think it's related to both the CC and the history of the game, now in it's third generation.) But also if I'm in the house, all is good.... if I zoom back to the house from the park or something, there's always a few seconds of sims floating in gray while their surroundings load. Do you think that's all the CC?

(I have a pretty souped up machine. MacPro 1.1, ATI 4870 and 12 gigs of ram, so I feel like it should play without lag.)

Just curious as to your thoughts.
    Thanks.

It's most likely the CC. You should use CC sparingly. I used to have over 400 mods and it took forever. But now I only have 2 mods (objects) and used twice at my house. It seems the more CC you use, the slower your game is. 12GB RAM seems like it could render an 8-sim and large household quickly. Also, for some reason, store items don't slow down the game that much. I'm just taking Tiki for.. err.. Records.
    edited July 2010
    i have about 200 pieces of cc, all clothes and hair really, no "things." About four mods.
    .....it's like an ugly addiction. You start with one or two and you can't stop!
    (I expect to be featured on an episode of "Intervention" soon.)
    edited July 2010
    ..Just like towelie.

Before, I deleted them all, I had about 4000 cc items. And 400 mods as I stated before. It's also a real battery hogger on laptops.
    edited July 2010
    So 200 is nuthin'!
    edited July 2010
    It's something. But I had been collecting objects and mods for over a year.
    edited July 2010
    If you use too much CC, you game is going to crash. No doubt about it. It make take 10, 20, 50, 100, 1000, 5000, 10,000 or 100,000 but it will crash if you use too much. I can't stress this enough on slower machines.
    edited July 2010
    Has anyone tested this with 4.2? I refuse to update with all the problems.
  • ChemicalwibsChemicalwibs Posts: 6,345 Member
    edited July 2010
    I finally tried this, and it works! I am finally able to use all those hairstyles I never got to work before. So thank you so much for this, you can't believe how happy you've made me :D I always thought installing package files was so complicated, but you made it so easy with your guide. I have the 4.2 update and so far I haven't encountered any problems :wink:
    wibsandthesims.tumblr.com
    edited July 2010
    No problem! Thanks for the add, BTW!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top