Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To improve CAW, this is what I vote for...Cast your ballots and add nominations!

ElmawaElmawa Posts: 2,281 Member
I'm going to try to summarize what I had nominated initially.
-Make rotating objects with those circles easier, more accurate, and predictable. They make me very angry when I use them because they seemingly do whatever they want instead of what I'm trying to do.
-Make the steps for exporting your world more obvious! When we click on the "Choose world to export" option under File, it should bring up the boxes we need to fill in such as Name, and Description, then give directions for obtaining a thumbnail to use. It should not tell us, "Cannot export world, no name, no description, no thumbnail" then nothing, no links to help, no hints as to how to accomplish those things, nothing very helpful at all actually.

Is anyone else having trouble with anything? Maybe we can compile a list of things that need more work for CAW so that the Sim team knows how to make it more user friendly?

Add your idea for your own improvement and or vote for something already suggested, I'll do my best to keep a tally of the suggestions. :D

First read through the below, you can quote the ones you want to add your vote to, or ask for something to be added.

Nominations: number of votes currently is in the ()
(2) No more OR more accurate rotational circles
(1) More clearly labeled export steps
(1) Make compatible with Ambitions (some people still having trouble?)
(2) Ability to move mass numbers of objects between layers at once.
(2) Different shaped lots (circles, oval, etc...)
(4) Different Shaped Intersections to use as intersections or cul-de-sac ends.
(2) Different Shaped Fences.
(2) Different shaped walls. (Curved, Sloped, etc..)
(2) Land surround option over the default water surround
(1) More even terrain paint overlaps, no change in opacity when not wanted.
(3) Random map generator.
(4) More distant terrains, panoramas.
(10) Make Rabbit Holes Customizable and add the ability to create Custom Rabbit holes and import them into the game.
(2) Variety of different water choices
(2) A way to exclude CC that comes with some downloads of sims, lots, worlds etc...so that they can be included in a game sans the CC.
(3) Ability to edit the skies, water etc... all directly within CAW
(3) quicker updates for EP/SP releases for compatibility.
(1) Easier spawners
(3) More spawners (i.e. fireflies)
(2) Different "modes" based on difficulty ranging from Beginner to Expert to include more creators at different levels of expertise.
(4) Tool to add water above the sea level, i.e ponds/lakes/waterfall terraces...
(2) fix broken rabbit holes
( 8 ) Ability to designate worlds as Vacation/Adventure/Home
(2) Make available for Macs!!
(2) ability to make shops similar to those in TS2 Open For Business.
(3) Fix bugs!
(3) Ability to add fences and like objects segment by segment or the way we can in game, click, drag, and draw, and the fences adhere to the ground however it flows.
(1) Better compatibility with store items, no slow down.
(2) more objects i.e. bridges, docks, etc...
(2) more terrain paint types/options
(2) Keep routing paint visible while placing objects
(4) Be allowed to have sims in the world upon upload.
(1) Sim Generator to add randomly named/generated townies.
(1) More AI controlled sims
(1) Subway System (I think I remember reading something about this in Late Night though? Correct me if I'm wrong.)
(1) To be able to mark a Portal Spot on the world for Leaving and Arriving to vacation worlds.

Comments

• ElmawaElmawa Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited July 2010
    Bump
    edited July 2010
    C'mon, I'm the ONLY one who has suggestions for improvements for CAW? I don't believe it for 1 sec.
  • dasanodasano Posts: 9
    edited July 2010
    I would post mine but Ive never been able to use CAW since i guess it doesnt work with ambitions =| but the thing about the rotation bugs me so much on the game :P needs to be less sensitive or something
    edited July 2010
    Yes! A voter! :D Maybe I'll make a line for "Make compatible with Ambitions"...though mine seems to work fine? I have Ambitions and CAW working in harmony. :( sorry that you don't and I'll add 1 vote for rotation fix?

I have to scidattle to work right now, I'll try to check while I'm there but the computer at work may block this site. If I can't I'll check back in the morning. Please keep casting your votes and adding new ideas. I'll update ASAP
  • WyndhaneWyndhane Posts: 383 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I'd like to be able to mass-move objects from one layer to another. :-/ I know I can select multiple ones at once, but every time I try moving them, with whatever combination of buttons, but a single one is transferred. Or maybe I just haven't found the right combination yet? I wonder at this.

... also, I want round lots, and round intersections, and round fences, and round walls... but I think for these I will have to wait 'til Sims 4 or Sims 5 :x no, really, everything is box shaped. box shaped.

::terrible pun about thinking outside the box::

::ba dum psshh::
  • ChriscmmChriscmm Posts: 106
    edited July 2010
    Instead of a water surround, I would enjoy a land surround. A cul de sac would be nice, as well. For those who do not know, a cul de sac is one of those big circles at the end of a road.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2010
    I really want the ability to move more then one object from layer to layer.

Also-

~Terrain Painting- I should be able to set the opacity/fall and use the Individual Layer Mode- it should stay at that color level. Not add/subtract it if it's at that level. Not go thicker/thinner but keep it even as we add so that we can go over with the paint and not make thick lines where they meet. If you know what I mean. :lol:

• JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited July 2010
    I'd like a random map generator, more distant terrains, a way to recolor and mod the rabbitholes, custom rabbitholes, bluegreen water color, a way to include custom sims with our world with no custom content... Not that I'm asking for much. :)
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • WyndhaneWyndhane Posts: 383 New Member
    edited July 2010
    ... HEY! Now -there's- an idea - integration of the .ini files into CAW, so you can edit the skies, the water colors, all that stuff, of a world directly within CAW!

and yeah, I never understood why EA didn't make small, inconspicuous rabbithole placeables either. :O They could've been doors or something. That players would immediately want to set upon making their own community buildings should've been pretty obvious. :x
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2010
    ~They need to keep it updated for each expansion- better connected so I don't have to download textures from the game to use in CAW.

And dang it~ easier spawners. Fireflies.... :cry:
  • mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I don't have a vote, really, as I'm still exploring the tool and learning new things every time I use it ...

But guys - this thing is a dream and runs like a shiny, new Cadillac compared to the dungeon builder they released with Oblivion! Anyone of you ever try to use that?

God Bless,
    mik
  • KenockaKenocka Posts: 18 New Member
    edited July 2010
    My suggestion, have two modes, an advanced mode for people who can really do things like programming and an "idiot" mode for people like me. Idiot mode could just basically be Build Mode. That's what I was expecting when I first downloaded this thing.

I am using the version that came out first so maybe things have changed. (Not my computer; no internet there.)
  • TrancepireTrancepire Posts: 969 Member
    edited July 2010
    We need a water tool for those above sea level pools of water. The Worldbuilder for the CNC series has one.

Although I think they'll have to throw in some bits of modification in the basegame before they can implement that in the tool.
    cnc4pew3.gif
  • kipperfan01kipperfan01 Posts: 152 Member
    edited July 2010
    The only thing I would like is to be able to customize the rabbit holes, I normally just use the ones they have because I am too lazy to mess around with putting them in basements and I don't like using CC so the carpets and signs are out.
  • emcnallyemcnally Posts: 44 Member
    edited July 2010
    Two things I definately want to see happen

1. I would like all Rabbitholes to work.

2. The ability to set worlds as Vacation or Adventure worlds.
  • MichabeanMichabean Posts: 452 Member
    edited July 2010
    1. Make it available for the OSX system :mrgreen:
  • EgmondvonSchitzelEgmondvonSchitzel Posts: 25 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Being able to make the shops just like they were in the sims 2 (With a cashier and all) and they really should get rid of that blue thingy zoom bug in edit in game because it's really annoying me now D:
  • GommeIncGommeInc Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited July 2010
    The best way to work with rotating and angles is to find out the angle of the item you're trying to go next to and insert the angle (usually Y axis I think) and pasting it in there. It's what I've been doing.

Also, remember to have roads in 90 degree angles. So:

And 45 degree angles:

It just makes it easy when adding new lots in Ambitions and the in-game world editor :) Roads need to be straight, but you have to do that manually rather than insert angles like you would lots, trees and game objects.
    edited July 2010
    Okay, everyone from Gommelnc and up has been added to the list. If you come back, check for your nomination and make sure I wrote what you meant. Tried to keep some of the lengthier nominations short to save space. Thanks for all your nominations for the betterment of CAW! Keep'em coming, those numbers are not nearly compelling enough yet. I just got off the graveyard shift, so I'm gonna go sleep, I'll check in and update when I wake. And, I think I'll be adding my own vote to a few of those too, good ideas!

Edit: OH! And thanks a bunch for the tip Gommelnc, I'll have to try that out later. Still feels like I have my training wheels on with this program sometimes, getting better though!

Added another of my own too, the option to click and drag fences like we do in game, or place them segment by segment like currently. Oh, and make them automatically adhere to the ground! :D
    edited July 2010
    Bump
  • diestlerdiestler Posts: 455 Member
    edited July 2010
    I think all the ideas presented are pretty interesting.

I feel the most important to me would be these couple:

Ability to customize rabbitholes.
    Ability to add lakes above ground level.
    Being able to create vacation destinations.
    Making fences by click and drag to flow with the ground level.

Interesting topic! Thanks!

• Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,992 Member
    edited July 2010
    Elmawa,

Nice list, most of those things, I would like them to add to the map editor. But there's something you should remove. The "Make compatible with Ambitions" needs to be removed, now people can get it to work with Ambitions. Since the last patch that problem has been solved.

One of the things I would really like them to do with Create A world now would be for them to eliminate the issues it has with store objects slowing it down.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,992 Member
    edited July 2010
    emcnally wrote:
    Two things I definately want to see happen

1. I would like all Rabbitholes to work.

2. The ability to set worlds as Vacation or Adventure worlds.

The ability to create Vacation worlds would be cool, but so far I've been able to get all the rabbitholes to work properly. Have you been having problems with any of them?
  • EgmondvonSchitzelEgmondvonSchitzel Posts: 25 New Member
    edited July 2010
    (2) ability to make shops similar to those in TS2 Open For Business.
    I meant it in the 'Custom rabbithole' way :?
    ... But Open For Business shops would also be pretty awesome :-)
  • KenseiRoninKenseiRonin Posts: 8
    edited July 2010
    1: water above sea level. I wasn't sure if you could or not, but this sorta answers my question.
    2: custom rabbit holes. Building a medieval town without this is...interesting.
    3: random map. To be honest, I wonder about the practicality of this when you hit large maps, but hey, those guys at EA are way better at this than I am.
    4: more bridges would be nice.
    5: setting as vacation worlds would also be pretty cool.
    6: add more terrain types to the options when painting. I'm a fan of the darker, lusher-looking grass and I love to put it all over the place. Also a better rock texture...the current one's repetition is painfully obvious.

Also, perhaps it's a little unrelated, but I always thought it'd be awesome to have something like SimCity, but then you could go in and build the buildings yourself and use those as templates. Then you could control your simdude in the city, which I suppose you could in SC4, but it wasn't nearly as good as the regular Sims (the individual sim controlling, that is). Rant rant rant.