Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's A Good Way To Get Extra Money? (w/o cheats)

2...Next

Comments

• JaanaDruidJaanaDruid Posts: 1,116 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Ahhh. So this opens up the possibility of a whole new career--at least in my game---The Philantrophist! The Landgraabs are the paradigm of what happens to a family that has so much money, they end up being their own worst enemy.

Take a goody-goody two shoes sim like Malcomb Landgraab. I quit playing that household out of shear irritation with that fiscally clueless $385k trust fund baby. Because every other day, the little pimple would get some vainglorious wish to "donate to charity" :roll: It was really cute at first when he was a kid. But when our tubby Richie Rich matured into a teen then YA, this trickle of charitable wishes became a flood! :shock:

As wealthy as he was, Richie Rich never had enough money to keep up with his crazy 1,000 simolean/day charity donations habit AND meet the expenses of his vast 60x60 lot estate. This was further compounded by the fact he insisted on being unemployed--I'd get him a job and he'd get a wish to quit it :? But now that a net worth of 20 million is attainable, Lord Malcomb the Good can realistically achieve his philantrophic dream to renovate Sunset Valley without going bankrupt. :-o

In a hostile real estate takeover, he'll evict those upstart Altos (the bloody peasants) and reclusive Goths (those creepy morbid bluebloods). He will rezone their palatial 60x60 estates, tomb raid exotic WA locations for relics and establish art museums in his name! :twisted: Muhahahaha

Then when Sunset Valley is completed, I'll move him to Twinbrook and make him the town's Lord Chancellor. Fire the town mayor. Then throw a community party in the big park and make all the town's firefighters pay homage to him. Because that Bayou neighborhood is definitely one community in dire need of a free architectural upgrade....

What a truly horrific waste of simoleans! :P And somewhere in the rustic hills of Champs Les Sims, the sceptre of Landgraab the Elder is rolling in its grave... :lol:
  • Mahogany_RoseMahogany_Rose Posts: 729 Member
    edited July 2010
    I was surprised how much special seeds are worth. I had a sim who had about 10 or 12 sitting in his inventory until he'd gotten enough skills to plant them and when I sold them they were worth a few hundred dollars.
  • DarkFireFlyDarkFireFly Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited July 2010
    Great story, JaanaDruid! I confess i never played the Landgraabs, but I really like hearing about them-especially the way Malcolm throws a wish to quit his job as soon as he gets one. That fits so well!
  • Zachemc2Zachemc2 Posts: 1,817 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Master the inventing skill and wait for a phone call from the science lab. I got 230k from it.
  • EndearedEmilyEndearedEmily Posts: 14 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Anything I say has probably been said before, but if you don't like collecting things and such (Or doing stuff like fishing) I think the easiest way is patience.

Just have your sim get a job, and Work Hard until it gets a promotion. It's surprising how cheap a lot of the necessities are.
    Along with this, you can use the skill your sim has to learn for their career to your advantage.

Logic- Save up and get a telescope, then while your sim is learning logic make sure they are 'Searching the Galaxy'. The sim will be able to name stars and such, and get's money for finding them.

Writing- Self explanatory really. Just write. I think Fiction novels are the quickest, my sim can write a couple of them in 1 Sim afternoon.

Gardening- Don't restrict yourself to learning the skill from the books, plant and grow your seeds, keep the produce (Or sell it), that way you don't have to pay for meals.

Fishing- Same as above really. Just sell or keep all of the fish you catch.

Guitar- Go and play for tips! Sims make friends really fast this way as well.

Painting- Paint a picture, sell it, and repeat.

Athletic- With all the skills, especially this one, Sims get given loads of Opportunities that give you money. You'll get a phone call that will say something like 'SimName needs to run, swim and work out this much.'

Handy & Charisma are the only skills that I can't think of anything for. I don't usually use either of them.

Photography (If you have WA)- Sell the pictures you take. Pretty simple.

Martial Arts- I think if you break special boards on the Board Breaker you get valuable gems to sell. I'm not sure though.

Did I miss a skill? I think I got them all. :L

:D
  • AdelineToAdelineTo Posts: 28 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Buy real estate properties. Before Ambitions, my sims owned all of them in Sunset Valley and get around 85K weekly (can't remember exact amount). I always save up money to buy them early in my game. With 85K weekly, my sims in the family, and also the coming generations, can do whatever they want without worrying about money.
  • SIMIAN6SIMIAN6 Posts: 307 Member
    edited July 2010
    supernovium made my sims rich
  • SketchElderSketchElder Posts: 3,517 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Enter the weekly community events, especially the Grill-a-thons. Grill-a-thons pay 1000 simoleons for grilling 5 plates of food. You should be able to do that every time you enter one, unless you wait too long to start grilling. Eating contests and amateur olympics also pay 1000 if you are the winner but there's no guarantee of winning. Chess tournaments pay about 850, I think, for winning 3 games.
  • CanineGallowsCanineGallows Posts: 337 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Honestly, my sim spent £3 on clay and I gained atleast £137 from the sculpture I made, also once you get better enough to use rock you earn £1,000+ from most sculptures, assuming they do not fail. Im making constant sculptures now because I duped the Grim Reaper statue in the graveyard it costs £22,000 each time.

Or get a rich sim to move in with you.
  • obsessisimobsessisim Posts: 208 Member
    edited July 2010
    I've posted this in another thread but one of my families became millionaires from gardening. You need a large family, everyone needs a green thumb, and eventually the super green thumb from the lifetime awards. But once they have read the gardening book and have at least one skill point in gardening, it increases quite quickly. It's tedious though, they have to garden garden garden all the time, stopping only to take care of the most basic needs. Once they got their riches, I let the poor kids finally leave home and let the parents pursue other interests as well. I allowed the garden to decrease gradually. I also send someone to gather relics and other items on vacation and use the same method the other poster mentioned about gathering the rocks and gems requested.
    You want to watch the prices of the produce and make sure you don't accidently sell off, say, the last of your fire fruit or other expensive produce so you can keep replanting it.
    Make sure to harvest wild plants too and visit Han's Orchid in China, you can harvest lots of stuff there. also in Egypt there is a Pommegranite tree on someone's front yard, they don't mind if you havest that to take back home to plant.
    :twisted:
  • Only1whtrbbtOnly1whtrbbt Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited July 2010
    JaanaDruid wrote:
    But when our tubby Richie Rich matured into a teen then YA, this trickle of charitable wishes became a flood! :shock:

In a hostile real estate takeover, he'll evict those upstart Altos (the bloody peasants) and reclusive Goths (those creepy morbid bluebloods). He will rezone their palatial 60x60 estates, tomb raid exotic WA locations for relics and establish art museums in his name! :twisted: Muhahahaha
    :lol:

Truly laughed at these liitle morsels of entertainment. Awesomeness. I couldn't stand that Landgraab kid either. I thought that maybe if i forced his fat a** onto a treadmill he'd be passable and maybe up to the task of fathering my Gold Digger sims trustfund babies, but he had other ideas. Lazy b**tard.
  • EreiidEreiid Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 2010
    JaanaDruid wrote:
    As wealthy as he was, Richie Rich never had enough money to keep up with his crazy 1,000 simolean/day charity donations habit AND meet the expenses of his vast 60x60 lot estate. This was further compounded by the fact he insisted on being unemployed-

I feel as if I've tuned into a very special episode of Intervention.
  • JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited July 2010
    Salvage burnt items,place them in the yard, wait for something indoors to break, call repair man, sell now repaired burnt items (or keep them if you need them.

you don't even have to wait until something breaks....just do what DarkAmaranth1966 said...and when the repair person comes...they will stand outside
    ranting for alittle while...and when they leave all will be repaired for only 50 bucks.....
  • NukapeiNukapei Posts: 88 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I know someone's already said it, but one of the best ways I've found on TS3 to make money is simply to get a job. Go to Carl's career guide and click on the various careers, see how much each makes and what each career involves, then decide which is best for you. If you're starting out in CAS, the "Workaholic" trait is wonderful, because it allows your Sim to "Work Hard" almost all day with a great mood and without getting stressed. Doing it that way, you can expect a promotion (+raise +bonus) just about every workday. My current workaholic Sim is at the top of the Law Enforcement career (Special Agent track) and is nabbing close to $3,000 per day. And that number is only going up. Plus, workaholics can "Work From Home" on their computer, guaranteeing them that promotion when they do go in.