Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Salvaging items from junk yard

(I'm new to ambitions) I went to the junkyard and salvaged a few items. I found them in my inventory and placed them in my house. The only option I get when I click the item is 'replace for XX simoleons.' Is there a way to restore the item and not pay the same price as a new one? Or whats the point of salvaging items when you can just buy a new one from Buy mode? Thanks for any help

Comments

• simsluvinsimsluvin Posts: 64
    edited June 2010
    If you salvage items, then put them some where (I use my side yard, lol) and then call the repair man (through services) he comes, stands around, then in a few hours he leaves, says I'm all done, takes his $50.0 and all the items are repaired. 50 is a small price to pay when I can pull 5k or more from just about every trip, lol.

On a side note, do you have problems picking some items up from the junkyard? Like your sims freaks out as if there is no way to get to it, even though she/he is standing right next to the item?
  • SweetCatastropheSweetCatastrophe Posts: 207 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I haven't had that problem yet..but I've only gone about 3 times because i dont know what to do with the junk that couldn't be used...ill try the repair technician..thanks!
  • savethetigers7121savethetigers7121 Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited June 2010
    simsluvin wrote:
    If you salvage items, then put them some where (I use my side yard, lol) and then call the repair man (through services) he comes, stands around, then in a few hours he leaves, says I'm all done, takes his $50.0 and all the items are repaired. 50 is a small price to pay when I can pull 5k or more from just about every trip, lol.

On a side note, do you have problems picking some items up from the junkyard? Like your sims freaks out as if there is no way to get to it, even though she/he is standing right next to the item?

i never knew that
  • SweetCatastropheSweetCatastrophe Posts: 207 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Calling over the repair tech worked! She stood around for a bit after fixing my computer and as soon as she lefted I checked my items and they were in working order! marvelous!
  • simsluvinsimsluvin Posts: 64
    edited June 2010
    There is tons of money to be made at the junk yard. My current sim bought her 30k house, and then her 68k house all from the junk yard. She's currently hit her 157k mark for her new home from just the salvage yard and a few PI jobs, since Inventing didn't pan out so well, lol.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,070 Member
    edited June 2010
    My town's inventor Clearance Morrison died when the inventing table set him on fire!
  • leelee77leelee77 Posts: 340 Member
    edited June 2010
    this reminds me I salvaged some things the other day, thanks for the tip about calling the repair technician.
  • NukapeiNukapei Posts: 88 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for this tip! I've been trying to figure it out, how to repair the items I find at the junkyard. At first I thought my Sim just didn't have enough handiness points, but after I maxed them out I decided it was something else, lol. I'll keep the repairman tip in mind.
  • MagicGurl09MagicGurl09 Posts: 14
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the tip!! Works great!

My only wonder is if your sim has maxed out their handiness skill and can repair some stuff, why can't they repair stuff from the junkyard like the repairman does? Just curious, not like spending 50$ is gonna kill my sims! haha
  • Hotty5009Hotty5009 Posts: 3,895 Member
    edited August 2010

My only wonder is if your sim has maxed out their handiness skill and can repair some stuff, why can't they repair stuff from the junkyard like the repairman does? Just curious, not like spending 50$ is gonna kill my sims! haha

Hiya & welcome to the forums
  • van1llabeeen87van1llabeeen87 Posts: 964 New Member
    edited August 2010
    your sims MUST have the ability to upgrade objects in order to salvage them. check out your skill journals.
  • blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the tips guys. :D My sim salvaged a bunch of stuff and I was like, "Now what?".
    YShQCz1.png
  • pretty_fabulousx10pretty_fabulousx10 Posts: 121 Member
    edited August 2010
    good tip :) thanks!
  • BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited August 2010
    I didn't know you could have the repairperson repair them. Thanks for that tip.I thought a Handy Sim could do it but I haven't had that option.

I do now get the option to blow those items up for scrap, once my simbot got to level 6 in the Invention skill.

Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • tori104tori104 Posts: 7,561 Member
    edited August 2010
    I've had the no pick up thing happen before. Thanks for the repairman tip, I'll use it!
  • simjettsimjett Posts: 5,254 Member
    edited August 2010

Yeah, Hi & Welcome to the Forums from me as well. It's a "known" glitch.

Another tip is to not salvage the statues or globes, as they'll get stuck in your inventory. :evil:
  • piddlesimpiddlesim Posts: 3,251 Member
    edited August 2010
    Another fun idea- use some of the items as is. :D

My sims have to work for everything. So some of them are really poor when they are starting out. I take the salvaged items that can still be used ( furniture ) and have them decorate their lots with that. Eventually they will have earned enough money to repair all the salvaged items in the house and inventory.

But it is kinda fun to use these items for homeless sims who live off the land.
  • JasanneJasanne Posts: 213 New Member
    edited August 2010
    And of course if your sim has inventing skills (altho I've forgotten how high they need to be) you can have a lovely time blowing up all the salvagable items at the junkyard. Especially those nasty statues and globes that get stuck in your personal inventory.

In case you haven't noticed, I love blowing up stuff.
  • SketchElderSketchElder Posts: 3,517 New Member
    edited August 2010
    simsluvin wrote:
    That mostly happens with the long dining tables. They have to be on a diagonal to be picked up. I have no idea why.