Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing .package files on Macs (the new way)

Zachemc2Zachemc2 Posts: 1,817 New Member
edited February 27 in Nominated Threads
Installing .package files on Macs (the new way)

We all know that the new patch is messing with our .sims3packs. However, there is an alternative. It is called 'Mods' or 'packages'. These mods can also add features or tweak stuff. You can get these by installing the 'framework'.

There have been several guides to do this before. But the Ambitions EP updated the way to make the framework, so the posts are outdated. The new version even comes with some support by EA. Even better, no transgaming or Bin folders to mess with!

First: Find Your Mods (Folder)
First, go to Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3. create a folder called 'Mods'. Inside create a folder called 'Packages'.
screenshot20100705at402.jpg

Second: Get Your Resource(.cfg)
Second, get the *NEW* resource.cfg file (secondary click and download linked file: resource.cfg (It won't be nice if you get the old one.)
Open it in TextEdit and make sure the first number is 501, NOT 500.
screenshot20100705at408.jpg
If appeared resource.cfg.txt, rename it in finder by secondary-clicking on it and then clicking 'Get Info'. Then go to Name & Extension, take off the .txt part, press enter and click 'use .cfg'.
screenshot20100705at716.jpg
Place it in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods
screenshot20100705at415.jpg
Now install some CC.

Suggested sites:
Mod the Sims
More Awesome Than You
Fresh-Prince Creations
The Simmers Club
Bog Sims
Stylist Sims
The Sim Supply

Third: Where do I put the Files?
Place the .package files in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages.
screenshot20100705at740.jpg

Fourth: What Now?
Open up your game, if you downloaded a mod (something that tweaks the game, e.g. faster nectar making) it will pop up when you start the game. If it is an object, it will have a folder in the right-bottom corner in Buy Mode. This never happened in older versions of the framework.
screenshot20100705at750.jpg

Well, that's all folks!

Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• ChemicalwibsChemicalwibs Posts: 6,345 Member
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for posting this - will give it a try :wink:
    wibsandthesims.tumblr.com
  • DylannyDylanny Posts: 468
    edited July 2010
    What is confusing/disturbing is that if you DON"T have ambitions installed this does not work.

(I had ambitions, played a while then decided that trampolines weren't worth laundry-- and the game felt slower to me, so I uninstalled it.)

I have the base game and HELS installed. My resource file is 500 and it's in the following folder.
    Show contents: Contents/Resources/transgaming/c-drive/program files/Electronic Arts/Sims 3
    A folder earlier than the new method.

When I replaced my 500 in the same location with 501, the CC did not show up.
    When I deleted the 500 file and put the 501 file in the mods folder, the CC dids not show up.
    I also tried both. The 500 file in the Sims 3 folder and the 501 file in the Mods folder (so that when I install the next exapansion, it would be in place.). The game would not open at all.

So for now, I am ok with the 500 folder in the Sims 3 folder.....I will just freak out when the next expansion comes :)
  • Zachemc2Zachemc2 Posts: 1,817 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I think it does work. It's just that you have resource.cfg in your transgaming-sims3 folder. If the new method was attempted, resource.cfg would go in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/.
    edited July 2010
    no, that's what i did... i realize you place the resource file one layer deeper....
    edited July 2010
    I placed the resource file in the MOds folder and CC didn't show up.
    I only have base game and HELS installed, but my patches are up to date.
    edited July 2010
    Take out the 500 file in transgaming bin. Also, make sure to take out the d3dx9.dll.dll file in the bin folder.
    edited July 2010
    I did. I will go test it again.... but I did it exactly as you instruct and the CC didn't show up. I'll let you know the result of test 2.

:)
    edited July 2010
    do you mean d3dx9_31.dll
    in Sims 3/Game/Bin?
    edited July 2010
    Yes.
    edited July 2010
    I think the problem might be you have the old resource.cfg file and d3dx9.dll in BOTH your Sims 3 and HELS folders.
    edited July 2010
    Well... I hate to be the barer of grim tidings. but it didn't work.
    I deleted that file and put the resource 501 in the new place... no CC.

Sorry
    edited July 2010
    From both TS3 and HELS folders?
    edited July 2010
    HELS has neither ofd those files anywhere.

I put it back the way it was.... it's working ok. I bookmarked your instructions and if I install an expansion of a new patch (my launcher says up to date, after refresh) I'll try it again.

I don't know why, but the old method is working and this isn't....for me. I'm not suggesting it doesn't for other people.
    edited July 2010
    BTW, I don't mean to be ungrateful...I do appreciate the time you took.
    edited July 2010
    It's cool dude. This will save time for other people without Ambitions.
    edited July 2010
    BUMP
  • SimAsh866SimAsh866 Posts: 448 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I'm having the same problem too :-(. I did everything right and my cc won't show up either
    edited July 2010
    Do you have ambitions?
    edited July 2010
    yep, and my game is up to date and I have deleted the old stuff... but still no luck
    edited July 2010
    Have you checked buy mode for objects?
    edited July 2010
    yes,i did. it's just not showing up. but thanks for your help. I'll continue to look how to fix this
    edited July 2010
    Strange. Is your game version 4.0.87.006001? (Check launcher)
    edited July 2010
    Yep,my game is up to date. I've even resulted back to the old way and it's not working anymore. oops!
    edited July 2010
    Hey! I just wanted to tell you thnx for trying to help. I am so mad because I deleted so many cc that I really wanted and they were all .package files, well it turns out that my package files WERE in fact showing up in the game. I had to go through the files so I could know which ones were showing up and which weren't. All of the package files were, but it was the sims3packs that weren't showing up. I thought that I had only downloaded .package files recently,but there were just a few sims3packs too, and I never thought that was the problem. Well I found which one was making ALL of my sims3packs not show up in game. It was this one church and I don't know if it was not compatible with the games I have or the newest patch, but I sure am mad that I didn't delete that along with the others when I first noticed the problem. Now my cc are back, and the mods folder is in the new location and everything is working fine. Just thought I'd let you know.
    edited July 2010
    Thank you for telling. I was just about to close down the article.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top