Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can the Sims 3 break a computer?

So, last year I bought a computer that I was absolutely sure could handle the sims. I checked out everything about it to make sure it would work, and even asked a sales associate, who said it was more than capable.

Since then, the computer has broken twice, and the hardrive has needed to be replaced both times. At this point, I'm getting a new laptop, but my parents are very nervous that playing the sims might hurt my new computer. They think it might've cause the issues.

I had no problems with the actual sims game (it ran wonderfully!), but is it possible that it did mess up my computer?

Comments

• IamMamainredIamMamainred Posts: 7,042 New Member
    edited July 2010
    No the game does not break your PC. But trying to play the game on a PC that does not exceed the min Supported specs will shorten the life span because you are trying to force it to exceed what the hardware on it is capable of.

If you are going to play on a laptop, it needs to be on a high end model with a Great ATI or Nvidia supported card. A new PC does not sure it has the needed specs & you NEVER take the word of a PC sales person, they are there to make a sale, few have a clue what is really needed to play these games.
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited July 2010
    Print the system requirements, then buy something that exceeds that by at least 10%, more if possible.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • mofursmofurs Posts: 87 New Member
    edited July 2010
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2010
    Jojo777 wrote:
    So, last year I bought a computer that I was absolutely sure could handle the sims. I checked out everything about it to make sure it would work, and even asked a sales associate, who said it was more than capable.

Since then, the computer has broken twice, and the hardrive has needed to be replaced both times. At this point, I'm getting a new laptop, but my parents are very nervous that playing the sims might hurt my new computer. They think it might've cause the issues.

I had no problems with the actual sims game (it ran wonderfully!), but is it possible that it did mess up my computer?

No, Sims 3 is not hazardous to your computer. However, if you are using a high end video card and your computer is not properly ventilated. Then you may have a problem, The framerates that high end cards produce can burn out your GPU. Sims 3 does not have an option to control the synch rate between the video card and the monitor there if computer is not ventilated properly it can burn out the GPU. Nividia cards you can force Synch off, I am not too sure about ATI. As far as hard drives goes Sims 3 definantly do affect. You may gotten defective hard drives and that happens sometimes. I work on computers and some people do not even blow out the computer. Clean out your computer at least once a month or depending on the area you live in, your computer will take care of you. Another thing heat is a computer worst enemy and ruined many computers and not just the video cards, it can damage PSUs, fans and hard drives. For your laptop make sure you get a laptop cooler, for they do get hot.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Jojo777Jojo777 Posts: 21,909 Member
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, everyone!

I'm pretty sure my computer had over the minimum requirements (plenty of free space, 4.00 GB of RAM, and a 2.00 GHz Core 2 Duo). But who knows, I'm not a computer expert, maybe I missed something.

• DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited July 2010
    Graphics card probably - that seems the thing most miss.

By the way, have been testing the HP NVIDIA 9100, and it works grat on medium to high settings, despite not being on the list and, actually being a rebranded for HP 9200 (uses 9200 drivers)
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • thegrumpthegrump Posts: 505 New Member
    edited July 2010
    No the game does not break your PC. But trying to play the game on a PC that does not exceed the min Supported specs will shorten the life span because you are trying to force it to exceed what the hardware on it is capable of.

If you are going to play on a laptop, it needs to be on a high end model with a Great ATI or Nvidia supported card. A new PC does not sure it has the needed specs & you NEVER take the word of a PC sales person, they are there to make a sale, few have a clue what is really needed to play these games.

Who said you needed ATI or NVidia to play The Sims 3?

I'm running TS3 on a laptop using an Intel chipset (GMA 4).
    It only lags when Trees and Lighting is set on "High"
  • Jojo777Jojo777 Posts: 21,909 Member
    edited July 2010
    The thing is, my game had no lagging. It ran perfectly. Oh well, I'll just have to be really careful with the new computer I'm getting.