Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Archetectural Design Career - Top 12 Tips for anyone having trouble

Comments

• Options
    EmmaKEmmaK Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2010
    thanks for this info!

NATURAL COOKS - even if you're doing a bathroom or a reading nook, go to their kitchen, and replace their fridge with the most expensive one. chefs will LOVE this!!!

:)
  • Options
    DenisimmsDenisimms Posts: 127 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I have 2 expensive cars stuck in family inventory from this career. You know how it takes everything in your personal inventory and places it in family inventory for the job? uggg...So now I pause the game when my sims arrive at the job and drag the car from personal inventory to home lot/parking space to avoid this.
    I finally figured out that if you delete the furniture in a room to redecorate, you get some bad review something about leaving them with nothing like you stole their stuff. I had a job that was an exterior renovation that asked for 8 windows and 2 doors. I messed up that job totally by replacing what they had. I guess I wasn't supposed to replace what they had?? But the house was too small to put more windows and doors and budget was really too small to build another room. Also on one job I forgot to put a roof, but they didn't seem to mind. lol..

Also, if they are athletic, put a football or gym equipment if budget allows in the room.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    edited June 2010
    Thanks so much for these tips! I had totally forgotten about adding own paintings and didn't realize you could add photos...especially ones with the family members. :mrgreen: Since my architect sim has the charisma trait, she knows most of the townies anyway and that really comes in handy. She's only on level 6 and still getting the "thanks for trying" comment. Also, I didn't know you could spread out the jobs. I was practically killing her trying to keep up. :lol:

The one thing I learned the hard way. When the game considers it the end of the day, no matter what time it shows, go home. My sim was starting a rennovation at 3 PM on a Friday when the que of her house popped up. I x'ed it out and did the rennovation anyway. There was no "turn in rennovation" tab at the end of the list when she got done. :shock: So that client got his rennovation for free. :x Lesson learned...when the game says you're done, you're done. :lol:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    RANCIDRANCID Posts: 500 New Member
    edited June 2010
    All of this is awesome thanks so much for the list! I pretty much gave up on that career cause I, for the life of me, couldn't figure out how to please my customers.
  • Options
    Scotty0Scotty0 Posts: 12 New Member
    edited June 2010
    HELP...I must be really crazy...I've been playing this career and am so frustrated.

Once I begin the renovation...I CAN"T see what I'm doing. How do I get my sim from the edge of the lot closer to house so I can actually DO the renovation...help please :twisted:
  • Options
    BranrBranr Posts: 410 Member
    edited June 2010
    The stuck vehicle (and camera) glitch is driving me nuts. On the other hand, got my first two great reviews today, at level 5.

If you lose the option to tell the sim the renovation is complete, go back the next workday. You can complete it then.
  • Options
    kenzi_23kenzi_23 Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    How do you start this career?
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    edited June 2010
    You can get it on the computer or at City Hall.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    CaddylingCaddyling Posts: 243 New Member
    edited June 2010
    From sims.wiki.com

Here is a list of traits that effect the outcome:
    Technophobe: hates electric devices
    Artistic: Likes objects with high Look-At score
    Bookworm: Likes bookshelves
    Can't stand Art: Hates every object with "look at" interaction
    Computer Whiz: Likes all computers except cheap ones
    Couch Potato: Likes all comfy objects
    Easily Impressed: Gives randomly a higher score
    Evil: Gives bonus points for every windowless room
    Frugal: Extra points for unused cash
    Hates Outdoors: Same as Evil
    Loves Outdoors: Extra score for every Window
    Natural Cook: Extra score for non-cheap food-preparation objects and appliances
    Party animal: Extra score for non-cheap stereos and party-objects
    Snob: Penalty for unused cash
    Virtuoso: Bonus for guitars and stereos
    Workaholic: Likes desks and computers

All other traits don't seem to effect the result as far as I see.
    Additionally the result is affected by:
    Sim's job level
    If dirty or broken objects are used
    Discussing the renovation with the client
    An "environment score" (this is rather complicated and looks at room size, if the rooms are lit, decoration, missing flooring and wall covering, etc.)
    If objects and surfaces are reachable
    Doing measurements
    Using homemade objects
    Extra score for plants and rugs
    Fulfill all requirements
  • Options
    debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited June 2010
    Very helpful thread. Thanks
  • Options
    JVENNJVENN Posts: 936 Member
    edited June 2010
    Denisimms wrote:
    I finally figured out that if you delete the furniture in a room to redecorate, you get some bad review something about leaving them with nothing like you stole their stuff. I had a job that was an exterior renovation that asked for 8 windows and 2 doors. I messed up that job totally by replacing what they had. I guess I wasn't supposed to replace what they had??

I think it must have been something else you did as I regularly replace all their furniture (even if I'm just supposed to redecorate the outside) and still get good reveiws! for instance, if I delete their whole kitchen and put back new cabinets and better equipment (and soemtimes add in extras like a trash compactor or dishwasher) they don't seem to notice. For the exterior renovation I would delete all their doors and windows and add in new ones - the check list just checks what you've put in, not what you've taken out - that said, you must make sure they have all the things they need so you need to notice what you've deleted and replace it all. I use a lot of CC which is cheaper to buy but has high environment scores - so a plasma TV that costs $3 but still counts as an expensive TV ;)

I've noticed that when you put your own art work, photos and photos of them in their renovation that seems to be all they look at :)
    :D My Origin ID is Octavia Moon. I've made some celebrity sims and will be making houses soon :)
  • Options
    tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited June 2010
    I recently got my first horrible review and so I didn't save and found out what the problem was. I had put digital photos on their fireplace mantle that couldn't be viewed. There was some narrative about the room being cluttered and they couldn't use their objects. LOL..picky picky picky. I didn't have to use a cheat to place their photos but I then moved them to a wall and they were viewable.
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Options
    JAYSIMS2004JAYSIMS2004 Posts: 659 New Member
    edited June 2010
    this is one of my favorite careers so far! I didn't know there were cameras though. Where do you buy them?

There is a camera at the cosignment shop.
  • Options
    PeppaharrisonPeppaharrison Posts: 19 New Member
    edited June 2010
    JVENN wrote:
    Hi Peppaharrison:

I do think you have a glitch - I don't always get a popup but have you tried clicking on the breifcase in your work tab? if you click on the breif case it should take you to map view to show you where the jobs are - and make sure your filter shows ALL.

Do you have any CC in your game - I had so many glitches when I first installed Ambitions - I'd forgotten to remove the CC before installing so I did a clean install of the whole game and it's working perfectly now...

Ok so I started a new game in Twinbrook and I had no problem getting jobs pop up for me in that game...So is it maybe I cant get jobs in a diferent town? Or maybe because its a toon already in play?
    Its a challange Im working on so I dont want to start over lol
  • Options
    JVENNJVENN Posts: 936 Member
    edited June 2010
    It does seem to be that it's because the game was already started as I have played the archetect in Twinbrook and currently playing in Sunset Valley..
    :D My Origin ID is Octavia Moon. I've made some celebrity sims and will be making houses soon :)
  • Options
    Deborah67Deborah67 Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    Alisox wrote:
    this is one of my favorite careers so far! I didn't know there were cameras though. Where do you buy them?
    There are only cameras if you have WA as well. You can buy a cheap camera in any vacation location but the nicer ones are only available in Egypt.

The consignment store occasionally has one too.
  • Options
    gerbenlegacygerbenlegacy Posts: 122 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Have you tried the architectural designer LTW? My sim currently has it, but 100 perfect scores... Isn't that pretty much impossible? I've only done 2 renovations but neither of them wsa perfect, and my sim is already halfway through his young adult life stage...
  • Options
    ANNAPTXANNAPTX Posts: 3,742 Member
    edited June 2010
    Great tips! Thank you for sharing your experience! :D
  • Options
    chelsey_m23chelsey_m23 Posts: 86 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Thanks alot this will help me!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well just to let you know, I saved a copy of my family and moved them over to Twinbrook and then got jobs popping up all over town! WOOT!! Im happy now.
  • Options
    rodier1128rodier1128 Posts: 903 New Member
    edited June 2010
    KLorelei wrote:
    Thanks for the tips, I'm thinking of playing around with this career path next and this will no doubt come in very handy.

Same here. i'm taking the EP slowly.
  • Options
    TammyGrantSimTammyGrantSim Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2010
    Ok first i would like to thank everyone for the great tips! with that said here is the problem i'm having..... i made a sim in the new city and started her on her career and all seemed to go along fine until she got to lvl 8. now when i go to a home to do a renivation i place an item (like a couch they asked for) but its not getting checked off the list. like the last job i tried doing was to redecorate a bedroom cos they hated what they had, well the house has 5 bedrooms and no matter which bedroom i tried it would not update the check list =/ what am i doing wrong?
  • Options
    spartan1spartan1 Posts: 606 Member
    edited June 2010
    How to cheat extra money for the budget:
    In renovation mode, go to your family inventory, making sure you have plenty of stuff in there. Paintings you did are good because you can see the value of the item. Grab an item, then put it straight back into the inventory. It will give you the value of the item as "extra" budget.

I found this by accident, grabbed my Hikon camera and put it back, suddenly I had an extra couple of thousand dollars to play with!

Family-oriented likes pictures of their family on the walls. I usually do a big portrait of the commissioning person, and smaller ones of everyone else.
    Frugal likes cheap items, not much decoration.
    Snobs like expensive items, plenty of mirrors, and use all the money.
    Party animal likes a bar and stereo.
    Workaholic likes a desk with computer.
    Couch potato likes a games console in front of the tv, plus couch of course.
    Angler likes a fish tank, put a fish in too from your inventory if you can.

The others are already on here earlier.

Have fun! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    spartan1 wrote:
    How to cheat extra money for the budget:
    In renovation mode, go to your family inventory, making sure you have plenty of stuff in there. Paintings you did are good because you can see the value of the item. Grab an item, then put it straight back into the inventory. It will give you the value of the item as "extra" budget.

I found this by accident, grabbed my Hikon camera and put it back, suddenly I had an extra couple of thousand dollars to play with!

hehehe I only just found this out also. I had like 200 left but needed more and I was looking through my stuff then I suddenly had like 1000 woot woot
  • Options
    Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2010
    People say it helps to add your own artwork etc while renovatng, but my sim can't get into her inventory during the renovation.So what can she do?.