Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How-To-Install CC/Mods "The New Way" Guide. Update: 04/23/2014

blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
edited February 27 in Nominated Threads
10/18/2011: Latest Patch... I have made a post here, so please read. If you're already aware of the issue with the RIG/Slots change on 3PCC, links to the tools to fix have been added to the bottom of this post.

2lcn3oo.jpg

Update: Added 04/23/2014

I now have a video that shows How to add Mods to your Sims 3 game.

My YouTube video link...
How to add Mods to your Sims 3 game

2lcn3oo.jpg

BEFORE YOU POST!!!

1. DO NOT break the pages on this thread or in someone else's (posts/listByUser/<member number here>.page! If you post an image make sure to re-size it. The average pixel size for images on this type of message board is ("width=640" "height=480"). Also quoting is fine but don't quote so much that it breaks the threads or others post. There are help threads listed in Walden's Directory that show you how to re-size images. Simmers should use it more and it's got a sticky for a reason!

NOTE: 04/18/2011
Just because images now resize at the forum level does not mean they do at the post level. If you post over-sized images I will ask you to remove or resize them. Your listByUser page cannot be fixed unless the post itself is fixed.

2. Make sure you have read and understand the TOS and the Forum Rules posted by SimGuruHydra.

Specifically, this one...
- Do not link to, request, or discuss content that may raise the game rating to an "M". This includes linking to teen pregnancy hacks, nude hacks, etc.

33w9stj.jpg
Update: Added 06/28/2011 - ATTENTION MAC USERS!
The link to the Resource.cfg file in Zach's guide is no longer valid. You can use the link for Windows (below) just make sure follow the same instructions he has listed as they should still work.

December 13, 2010
I added a link to Zach's guide for Mac users at the very bottom of this post so I only have to post the link to my guide when I can't remember the link to his.

33w9stj.jpg

Anyway, others (on and off this forum) have asked me to post a separate thread.
This only took me one try and I got it to work.
Hope this helps so here you go. Happy Simming!

33w9stj.jpg

FYI ~ Operating System:
This is my OS, Windows Vista™ Home Premium Service Pack 2, but the folder structure is the same for Win7 (located under Library), XP just says MyDocuments instead of Documents which is located under Documents and Settings.

NOTE: YOU CAN NOT HAVE TWO FRAMEWORKS, NEITHER WILL BE RECOGNIZED!
If you still have your CC/Mods setup under Programs the old framework, you will need to remove that framework and any file or automated installation program associated with it BEFORE setting up the new framework under Documents.

If you are running Windows XP, you should check to make sure you have .NET Frameworks installed. This is something that comes with later versions of Windows Vista and Win7. Earlier versions of XP may not have this and you need at least 2.0 and you can check your installed programs via control panel. If you do not have this, you will need to download it from the Microsoft site. I do believe the latest version for XP is now 4.0.
5bw5j4.jpg

Okay setting up a framework is just allowing your computer to accept the .package files. You must have your files set up like in the picture (below).
(i.e. Mods, Packages - make sure to use the same case)
Packages is a subfolder of the Mods folder.
Location: \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages
2d6li1c.jpg

Update: Added 06/28/2011
Step 1. *Click here, to download the NEW Resource.cfg file.
Step 2. Sroll down the page to Resource.cfg Contents? and click on the link for the file.
Step 3. **Choose Save As, and save it to the Mods folder.

* Verified the Resource.cfg file is most current as of 06/28/2011. The content is the same only the link to get to the file on MTS has changed.
** This process will vary depending on the browser, it's version and settings you are using. I'm now using MSIE9 but the examples shown are with MSIE8.

Now you have your Packages folder and the NEW Resource.cfg file in the Mods folder (like picture above).

Update: Added 06/25/2011
NOTE: IF MTS IS DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE!

The above link is to the original Resource.cfg file from MTS. However, if the site is down you have two other options.

Option 1) You can download a different version of the file here from a Mediafire link provided by Crinrict. :wink:

If option 1 does not work...

Option 2) You can still manually create the Resource.cfg file by doing a copy/paste of the the original file from the code window by following the instructions in my post on page 21.

Next you want to download your CC and place it wherever you place your downloads.
Placing the file on your desktop is probably easiest.
In my example, I made a folder on my desktop. I normally do this in my downloads folder.
2wp095w.jpg

Now you're ready to Extract the (.package) files from the (.rar or .zip) compress file.

If you're on a PC running Windows, WinRAR is free you just get annoying pop-up depending on how you use it. You don't get them if you right-click and choose Extract Here. Find your OS at the link and download. I prefer WinRAR and that's what I use in my examples.

You will need to know the type of computer you have in order to download the correct version the software. It's either 32-bit or 64-bit which you can get from your System Information. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Information. Then on the System Summary check the System Type (i.e. x64-based PC). This is the path for Windows and I do not have the information for Macs.

Example: System Information.
vdztkm.jpg

Example: WinRAR download choices.
a45w.jpg

If you're on a Mac, I recommend using Unrarx which is also free.

DO NOT INSTALL EITHER OF THESE APPLICATIONS IN YOUR GAME FOLDERS!
Install them under Programs with rest of your operating systems Programs. Normally, the default path will already be selected when you go to install the application.

Next, right-click on the file, then click extract here.
This will extract all the files that come with that particular CC.
3127kec.jpg

The only file you care about is the .package file.
Cut/Copy (which ever you prefer) and Paste that file into your Packages folder,
in the Mods folder under Documents.
212wppx.jpg

*** NOTE! ***
1. You don't have to install anything in the launcher. Just find your new item in CAS.

Update: Added 04/21/2011
2. In order to find your content you WILL have to restart your game in order to see it.

3. Also, you'll want to delete the four cache files in "The Sims 3" folder under Documents.
CASPartCache.package, compositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, and simCompositorCache.package
FYI - You cannot do this while your game is running as these files are in use, so turn it off.

Note: If you have Showtime, you can also delete the socialCache.package file.

Just any sim in CAS. See her with original hair. Notice new Peggy hair to select.
15hkcaw.jpg

Select new hair and you're good to go.
jtp5ht.jpg

New hair also shows up in your current games.
ml386g.jpg

EDIT:
This guide is for PC only as I don't use a Mac. :?

This is IMPORTANT!
You will need to remove your Mods/Packages folder and place it somewhere else when you install a new game or a patch/update. I would suggest if you haven't already, uncheck automatic updates in you game launcher so you have time to remove this folder before you patch/update or install. If you don't, you will definitely risk ruining your games!

NOTE: THIS IF YOU STILL INSTALL YOUR CC THE OLD WAY UNDER PROGRAMS.
Update: 07/03/2011 Warning:

Delphy's Installer Helper Monkey is no longer available and has been archived over at MTS. I HIGHLY SUGGEST you uninstall this mod or any other mods that are obsolete. You also need to remove the d3dx9_31.dll hack file from your base game, any EPs or SPs from the Game/Bin folders. I also suggest you clean your registry to remove any remaining remnants of these obsolete mods.

The new way that Mods/CC are installed was posted back in Game Update for 1.12/2.7/3.3 on 05/28/2010.

I suggest if you haven't setup your framework under Documents by now and you're still installing mods the old way under programs, you run the same risk below. There are many mods/cc that are just simply becoming obsolete and are starting to cause issues as this game progresses.

The Gurus/Mods in the Technical Forum have taken note of the particular obsolete mod causing the below for future troubleshooting reference. This obsolete mod that is still available for download on MTS and automatically does setup in using the old framework. It caused the below to happen to the user's load screen. So use at your own risk!

LoadScreen_by member Hawgatha (with permission)
20sabl4.jpg

Update:
As of 11/12/2010, I now currently have my CC installed the new way. It was so I can use NRaas Mods to get a better handle on some of the issues with LN (i.e. Cars). It took but about two minutes to change it from the old way to the new way. :wink:

More Stuff
12/13/2010, Added link to guide for Mac users.
    Installing .package files on Macs (the new way) *Ambitions Only* By Zachemc2

01/17/2011, Updated backup procedures.
      Backing up files/folder on page 3.

02/20/2011, Added link to both tools on MTS.
        Dashboard and Custard Tools on page 13.

03/13/2011, Added links to guide for WinRAR and Unrarx.
        WinRAR for Windows and Unrarx for Macs

04/21/2011, (Clarification Update)
        Miscellaneous information regarding deletion of cache files and restarting game after adding new cc/mods.

04/24/2011, Added link to post for manually creating (Resource.cfg) file.
          Follow the instructions in this post
        on page 21, if you for some reason can figure out your browser settings to save the Resource.cfg file.

06/25/2011, Added two options to get Resouce.cfg file if MTS site is down for maintenance.

06/28/2011, Resource file info due to MTS server changes.
        Updated link to Resource.cfg file verified file content is unchanged.
        Clarification on how to download Resource.cfg file based on browser.
        Notification on dead link for Resource.cfg file for Mac users in Zach's guide.
        Verified links to Dashboard and Custard are still valid.
        Verified all other links in guide.

07/03/2011, Updated notice about using obsolete Mods/CC.
        Add image of what can happen to ones game if simmers continue to use obsolete mods, especially those that automatically install the old framework.

04/23/2014, Updated to add link to How to video.

Note: I will clean this guide up in the near future. I really should have reserved more space. :?

2lcn3oo.jpg
        PETS
        Fixes for your third party custom content after patch 1.26 PC/1.27 MAC

Update: 11/05/2011 - Tools to help fix your third party custom content in (.package) and (.sims3pack) file format.

TSR Pets CC Bug Fixer
        http://www.thesimsresource.com/fixyourgame/

MTS RIG Fix
        http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorial:Fixing_Object_RIGs_for_Patch_1.26

Grant Hess
        Custom Content Fix for PETS (Updated 10/20/2011) (Testers Needed)
        http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/index.php/topic,1298.msg1995.html#msg1995

Procedure for Correcting CC Beds for Patch 1.26/Pets
        http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/index.php/topic,1472.msg2225.html#msg2225

2lcn3oo.jpg

Updated 04/18/2011,
          Added rules for posting in this guide.
        PLEASE FOLLOW THEM! I do not want all the hard work to create this guide deleted. :wink:
        Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
        DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
        US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
        Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• nvmplznvmplz Posts: 63 New Member
          edited June 2010
          The files I downloaded don't end in .package or anything like that. Should I add it or not?

Sorry if that's stupid or silly, I haven't played The Sims 3 in months, and I forgot some things lol.
        • ameliuh321ameliuh321 Posts: 3,767 New Member
          edited June 2010
          So we don't need any of the d3dx9_31.dll in our bins?
        • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
          edited June 2010
          nvmplz wrote:
          The files I downloaded don't end in .package or anything like that. Should I add it or not?

Sorry if that's stupid or silly, I haven't played The Sims 3 in months, and I forgot some things lol.

What file extension do they have?
          Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
          DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
          edited June 2010
          blunote00 wrote:
          nvmplz wrote:

What file extension do they have?

Well, none.

Example:
          10%Bills
          edited June 2010
          All I need to do is add .package at the end.
          edited June 2010
          nvmplz wrote:
          All I need to do is add .package at the end.

Do you have your file extensions turn on (i.e. hidden)?
          What is the name of this file? Give me the link.
          edited June 2010
          ameliuh321 wrote:
          So we don't need any of the d3dx9_31.dll in our bins?
          I did not put them in mine. If you feel you need dynamic link library in the bins then add the file. It also depends on the mod you're downloading. If it recommends that you add it then I would say yes.
        • LadyDarkSorrowLadyDarkSorrow Posts: 2,865 Member
          edited June 2010
          nice Guide blu :thumbup:
          edited June 2010
          nice Guide blu :thumbup:
          Awww Thanks. :wink:
          *hugs & stuff & thangs*
        • DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
          edited June 2010
          Thanks for doing this. I also still install my CC the old way but I'd like to know the new way just in case I change my mind in the future. I'll read this in the morning after a good night's rest. :D

*bookmarks*
          14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
          edited June 2010
          Thanks Darkling :P
        • CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
          edited June 2010
          nice guide Blunote. I am going to book this thread
          edited June 2010
          nice guide Blunote. I am going to book this thread
          Thanks Couriervaughan :mrgreen:
        • PistolkittenPistolkitten Posts: 5,413 New Member
          edited June 2010
          Bookmarked for when I get Ambitions, Thanks :D
        • bkyle55bkyle55 Posts: 35 New Member
          edited June 2010
          THANK YOU! Ever since I bought Ambitions NONE of my cc has worked! You are a life saver!!! :mrgreen:
          edited June 2010
          Bookmarked for when I get Ambitions, Thanks :D
          Thanks. I hope you find it useful. :)
          bkyle55 wrote:
          THANK YOU! Ever since I bought Ambitions NONE of my cc has worked! You are a life saver!!! :mrgreen:
          You're more than welcome. Enjoy your cc! :wink:
        • CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
          edited June 2010
          you are welcome
        • JBAG521JBAG521 Posts: 2,783 Member
          edited June 2010
          Thanks, blunote. Ive had so much trouble getting my .package files to work. I will definitely try this way.

Happy Simming!
          edited June 2010
          JBAG521 wrote:
          Thanks, blunote. Ive had so much trouble getting my .package files to work. I will definitely try this way.

Happy Simming!
          Thanks. :D
        • Skip45Skip45 Posts: 19,876 New Member
          edited June 2010
          How come there is a "new" way?
          What happened to the old way?
          Just wondering why it changed.... :?:
          edited June 2010
          Skip45 wrote:
          How come there is a "new" way?
          What happened to the old way?
          Just wondering why it changed.... :?:
          It's listed in the last game update here. Some people find it easier this way.
          I still do mine the old way though as I have an issue with ASV. :wink:

edited June 2010
          So the old way does still work?
          I use the way FuryRed explained it...and it took me a LONG time to understand that. I couldn't imagine trying to figure out yet another way!
          And I haven't done that game update...so it should all still be cool :)
          edited June 2010
          Skip45 wrote:
          I use the way FuryRed explained it...and it took me a LONG time to understand that. I couldn't imagine trying to figure out yet another way!

Yes the old way still works. :wink:

The difference is that you are installing your cc in a new "officially sanctioned" Mods/Packages folder in your game data folder (Documents). All of your game data exist in The Sims 3 folder, which should be the only folder for the game in that location. Which is also the reason I think you don't need d3dx9_31.dll as you only have the one folder. However, some others feel differently.

Under Programs is where you would have folders for The Sims3 base game, eps, and sps which run the game. Having the Mods/Packages folder under Programs is confusing to lots of people, especially if you don't know how it works. If you mess up anything in your program folders you can actually destroy your PC/Laptop. Plus all this moving of the folders from the base game to the latest EP/SP is just asking for trouble. :shock:

I know I answered more than what you asked but I might as well explain it to everyone that reads this. However, there is a price to pay for not knowing how your PC/Laptops work. :? But I'll let you all figure that out on your own.

• LadyDarkSorrowLadyDarkSorrow Posts: 2,865 Member
          edited June 2010
          blu I've been passing out this help link you made, so you may be busy for a while :shock: you ask for it :XD: Hugs,kiss,and all that extra fun stuff !! :shock:
          edited June 2010
          blunote00 wrote:
          Skip45 wrote:

Yes the old way still works. :wink:

The difference is that you are installing your cc in a new "officially sanctioned" Mods/Packages folder in your game data folder (Documents). All of your game data exist in The Sims 3 folder, which should be the only folder for the game in that location. Which is also the reason I think you don't need d3dx9_31.dll as you only have the one folder. However, some others feel differently.

Under Programs is where you would have folders for The Sims3 base game, eps, and sps which run the game. Having the Mods/Packages folder under Programs is confusing to lots of people, especially if you don't know how it works. If you mess up anything in your program folders you can actually destroy your PC/Laptop. Plus all this moving of the folders from the base game to the latest EP/SP is just asking for trouble. :shock:

I know I answered more than what you asked but I might as well explain it to everyone that reads this. However, there is a price to pay for not knowing how your PC/Laptops work. :? But I'll let you all figure that out on your own.

I'm going to be completly honest. You lost me after the first sentence. I'm NOT good with computers at all. I put all of my CC under: "Progam Fils: EA: The sims 3". I then created a file called: "Mods." Then in the mods made a folder named: "Packages."
          All I have is the base game, no expansion packs or stuff packs. As great as they look, they would cause way to many issues for me.
          So, for this update, do I still need to get rid of all of my CC?
          Because I have no idea how to move files or have backups.

Haha, can you tell I'm a technically challenged person?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
        Emoji
        Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
        Drop image/file
        Return to top