Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CRASH TO DESKTOP - My Solution - Updated

Comments

• chanel27chanel27 Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    When I enter TS3.EXE it doesn't find it :(
  • MissGabiMissGabi Posts: 43 New Member
    edited June 2010
    KC8FHS you are A STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After months of frustration I am finally able to play again!!! FX it never crashes again! I have been playing for 30 minutes! It used to crash within seconds!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mangogirl422mangogirl422 Posts: 1,222 New Member
    edited June 2010
    i tried the DEP soulution before..but it didn't work for me..my game does is i can play for 1 hour 40 min without the charger then when the battery is out it shuts off for no battery but if i have the charger on i can play for 5-10 min. and it shuts down..and i have to start it up again...
    I have windows vista home prenuiem
  • simjettsimjett Posts: 5,254 Member
    edited June 2010
    i tried the DEP soulution before..but it didn't work for me..my game does is i can play for 1 hour 40 min without the charger then when the battery is out it shuts off for no battery but if i have the charger on i can play for 5-10 min. and it shuts down..and i have to start it up again...

Laptop performance / power settings will vary. You'll need to check yours for both battery and charger settings. When battery is used the settings may be "balanced" or lower. When plugged in, it's possible the laptop is at a higher performance setting that could be "overheating" the laptop. If your plugged in settings are "higher" than the battery settings, try to lower to match.

Other than that, it's a odd situation :|
  • Drocker7Drocker7 Posts: 66
    edited June 2010
    Hey everyone,

I'm up to where you turn DEP on for all programs except for the ones I select but I just can't find this ts3.exe thing!

So far I've added S3Launcher and S3Launcher.exe. I've read all of these pages and I still can't find a solution! My game just started crashing today and I have no idea how to find this .exe file.

I only have WA, and ambitions if that helps, and I'm running on windows vista. Please help fellow simmers! I miss my game :(.

• mangogirl422mangogirl422 Posts: 1,222 New Member
    edited June 2010
    simjett wrote:

Laptop performance / power settings will vary. You'll need to check yours for both battery and charger settings. When battery is used the settings may be "balanced" or lower. When plugged in, it's possible the laptop is at a higher performance setting that could be "overheating" the laptop. If your plugged in settings are "higher" than the battery settings, try to lower to match.

Other than that, it's a odd situation :|

examples.jpg
    im on the power saver plan
    edited June 2010
    @ mangogirl422

The simplest method while plugged in is to select the "Balanced" or "High Performance" options.

A little more advanced is to select "Change plan settings" underneath the "Power Saver".

There should be a couple of side by sides for "Turn off display" and "Put computer to sleep"...and "Adjust display brightness".

The only changes I would make are to the "Plugged in" and selecting "never" for the first two, and maybe lowering the display brightness slider.

Under all that is "Change advanced power settings" The only thing I could see changing in there is "Processor power management" But it's easier just to select "Balanced" or "High Performance" option, as that will accomplish the same thing.

Edit to add:

If none of the above works, make sure to set back to Power saver mode.
    This problem is odd because one would think it would run better while plugged in.
  • PepperPotsPepperPots Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2019
    I have done all of the tricks
    Post edited by PepperPots on
    edited June 2010
    PepperPots wrote:
    I have done all of the tricks and jumped all of the hoops posted in the forums and in this thread about how to fix the CTD. Nothing has worked on either of my two computers that I play Sims on.

I do not know who to contact about getting a fix for this. I believe we have the right as paying customers to ask for a fix.

I'm running both computers on vista 32.

If you help me and I get to play again, I'll give you free cookies for Life!

You need to contact EA customer support, they will talk you through a few things you can try. Don't forget to add all your exe files, I only added the base game and it didn't work. Then I added The Sims 3, WA and Ambitions and it worked!
    edited June 2010
    Drocker7 wrote:
    Hey everyone,

I'm up to where you turn DEP on for all programs except for the ones I select but I just can't find this ts3.exe thing!

So far I've added S3Launcher and S3Launcher.exe. I've read all of these pages and I still can't find a solution! My game just started crashing today and I have no idea how to find this .exe file.

I only have WA, and ambitions if that helps, and I'm running on windows vista. Please help fellow simmers! I miss my game :(.

Ok, I found the files and added them, but I'm still having the problem. How many do I have to add?
    edited June 2010
    You need to add all the .exe files, there will be one for each game.
  • EcclesEccles Posts: 155 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I originally posted in this space to report that I was having the same issue, and that the above fixes didn't work. But it seems - after a complete re-install from scratch and a good hour of trial-and-error with content and mods - that some of you may be having this issue because of a HACK YOU USE!!!

Put your hand up if you are having this issue and are using the "DynamicAvoidance" hack (by setting the DynamicAvoidance_* settings in "Game\Bin\Sims3.ini" to 0), like so:

DynamicAvoidance_FieldRadius = 0
    DynamicAvoidance_InactiveFieldLength = 0
    DynamicAvoidance_MinNonIntersectingDistance = 0
    DynamicAvoidance_FieldLengthPad = 0
    DynamicAvoidance_StopDistanceMultiplier = 0

This wonderful little trick was used a lot by people like myself who hated the congestion issues, with Sims bumping into each other, wasting precious time complaining, then trying to move at the same time only to have it start all over again. This trick allowed Sims to walk through each other, which stopped the congestion and allowed our Sims to use their time (a little) more wisely.

The trouble is, something has changed in the latest TS3 version which stops this trick from working anymore, and even if it isn't the sole cause of this particular type of crash (for those who DON'T use this trick), it's probably the most likely culprit for those who do. Yes, I have tested this thoroughly, and I have confirmed that this is the exact and only cause of my particular crash since installing Ambitions, and restoring the settings to their defaults fixed it.

So, if you are like me and automatically changed these settings upon installing Ambitions and your game crashes whenever you enable 'Live' mode, do yourself a favor and change them back. The original settings (if you were silly enough to not make a backup of Sims3.ini) are as follows:

DynamicAvoidance_FieldRadius = 0.12
    DynamicAvoidance_InactiveFieldLength = 3.0
    DynamicAvoidance_MinNonIntersectingDistance = 0.24
    DynamicAvoidance_FieldLengthPad = 0.6
    DynamicAvoidance_StopDistanceMultiplier = 1.85

As for the DEP 'fix' and which files to exclude (assuming the above is not the case for you), a number of people seem to have trouble finding them, so here's a list of the files you're looking for:

* TS3: "The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.EXE"
    * WA: "The Sims 3 World Adventures\Game\Bin\TS3EP01.EXE"
    * HELS: "The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff\Game\Bin\TS3SP01.EXE"
    * Amb: "The Sims 3 Ambitions\Game\Bin\TS3EP02.EXE"

This assumes you have installed to (somewhat) default paths, with the paths being in the "Electronic Arts" directory of your operating system's default program installation path.

While these fixes did not work for me (refer to above idiocy) they do appear to have worked for a large number of people, and hopefully this will go a long way towards a real fix in the next patch so that we - the consumers - don't have to resort to cheap hacks to make our games work as intended.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2010

As for the DEP 'fix' and which files to exclude (assuming the above is not the case for you), a number of people seem to have trouble finding them, so here's a list of the files you're looking for:

* TS3: "The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.EXE"
    * WA: "The Sims 3 World Adventures\Game\Bin\TS3EP01.EXE"
    * HELS: "The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff\Game\Bin\TS3SP01.EXE"
    * Amb: "The Sims 3 Ambitions\Game\Bin\TS3EP02.EXE"

This assumes you have installed to (somewhat) default paths, with the paths being in the "Electronic Arts" directory of your operating system's default program installation path.

While these fixes did not work for me (refer to above idiocy) they do appear to have worked for a large number of people, and hopefully this will go a long way towards a real fix in the next patch so that we - the consumers - don't have to resort to cheap hacks to make our games work as intended.
    [/quote]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok I definitely added each one of those (minus HELS cause I dont have it) but the game still crashes! Is there no solution to this at all?!
    edited June 2010
    BUMP
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited June 2010
    How Ironic a long time ago, I had major problems with DEP closing my game & I learned about DEP & how to shut it off.
    Ambitions came out since then & I bought it.
    After installing Ambitions I had to uninstall Sims 3 from my system & re - install it. Then I wanted to play River view so I tried to download that & had problems with that.
    I finally got River view to download on my system the other day but now I am having major problems with CTD.
    Of course DEP was one of the first places I visited when that started happening & every exe file of all three games is on my list, yet, I still have the CTD prob.
    I'm at a loss.
    Anyone else have any ideas to stop CTD?
    BTW I've tried the deleting files from world cache fix & the turning off the UAC (user account control) fix. Neither successful for me.
    The game runs fine for about 3-5 mins after deleting the world cache files, but then crashes again & when I look in the world cache folder immediately after the crash, the files are in there again.
    After turning off UAC my system really got messed up - the download to the game was choppy, my desktop windows would open very slooowly, & basic computer commands I gave really took a long time to execute.
    I almost forgot to add that I also increased my Virtual Memory to 50000, which is more than enough.
    I'm beginning to wonder, is River view a cursed town? LOL
    Or on the serious side is River view a corrupted file?
    I wonder since it has caused so many problems. It caused my sounds to stop as well.
    It really saddens me to think I may have to totally uninstall River view because River view is a beautiful town & I am tired of Sunset Valley (for now anyway since I've been playing for a while)
    Anyhoo does anyone else have any other solution I might be able to try to stop these crashes? I have no mods in my game, no cc that I'm aware of (unless you call changing various items styles (furniture & stuff) with the style tool custom content). All I have are some hairstyles & furniture items I bought from the STORE.
    EA are you there????
    After looking on the web, this seems to be a serious problem that a lot of people are experiencing. EA are you working on it?
    The system I'm trying to run Sims 3 on is Vista 64 bit, dual quad, ATI vid card. It's the same system I had when I started playing in early 2009. I can't play at all now. :cry:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2010
    Just wanted to let everyone know I kept the River View files in the world cache & uninstalled EA Down loader from my system, then I used the TS3.exe file from the Sims 3 base game to open the game & I haven't had a crash yet.
    Usually it would crash after I opened my family & clicked on something for one of the sims to do.
    But it didn't happen this time.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Maybe there is a conflict with EA Down loader & Ambitions?
  • FordGT90ConceptFordGT90Concept Posts: 355 Member
    edited June 2010
    First, for the record, DEP is disabled by default:
    http://img.techpowerup.org/100628/dep_disabled.png

Disabling DEP when it is already disabled obviously won't do any good--it's a placebo effect.

Second, how much RAM do you have? How high are your settings in the game? What display resolution do you play at?

Crashes are often caused by non-EA custom content. If you have any, I recommend disabling it.
  • simbody872simbody872 Posts: 828 Member
    edited June 2010
    I was getting game freezes and total system lock ups after installing Ambitions. I was beginning to think I was having hardware fail again, I just had the HDD and Graphics crd replaced in April. It turned out to be Adobe Arm. Iirc that was required with the new version of the EADM. After disabling the EA Core and Adobe Arm my system no longer locks up. I've also not had the game freeze or CTD.
    A Legacy Challenge. The Benton Legacy
    A Prettacy Challenge It Ain't Easy Being Green
    edited June 2010
    Oi! Confusion Alert! :hunf:
    The EADM is basically ok, since it's DEP Enabled by default.
    But if Sims 3 and the EA Core Serv App are disabled by default already...... :oops:
    Capture.png
  • starlightkcstarlightkc Posts: 3,186 Member
    edited July 2010
    please can someone tell me how to cang the DEP in Windows 7????
  • FordGT90ConceptFordGT90Concept Posts: 355 Member
    edited July 2010
  • mjpennja91mjpennja91 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I've tried to do the DEP thing but everytime i type in TS3.exe is says that the file does not exist. I have windows vista and I've trie reinstalling it im not sure what else to do now from this point. PLEASE if anyone knows what i should do it would be great!!!
  • DraxVonbDraxVonb Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 2010
    This solved my auto quit problem so far with ambitions. Thank you very much.

For those who are still confused in what to do or where to find the TS3.exe here is how to find it on Vista.

As in a previous post copy systempropertiesperformance <<<<Without arrows, and paste it in the search window in the start menu. The search window is at the bottom of the start menu if you are not sure where it is. Open the program and go to Data Execution Prevention. Third tab from the left on top.

Click on the ADD tab and a window opens. At the top is a file with a lot of EXE,s in it. But sims is not located here. Its says Look In: [_____________] Click on the down arrow to the right of it. Open up computer> local Disc :C> Program Files> Electronic Arts> Sims3> Game> Bin.
    You should see several files here (bin, gameplay, HelpPages, Jazz, Resources, StaticPages, UI, S3launcher, Sims3Launcher, TS3) ETC. Click on TS3 and then open. You should now see it the center window of the DEP. Make sure that it is checked with a check mark. Click on the Apply button and you are done.

Close the program and start SIMS 3 using the Base game short cut. It does not matter what Ep or stuff pack you have. You can use the base game short cut to start the game. That is what i use and it keeps the clutter of short cuts down on my screen.

I hope this helps.

edited July 2010
    I've been playing my game non stop since I uninstalled the EA downloader/installer, & no crashes! :lol:
    It's been fun. Maybe EA should look into possible conflicts.
    To find the TS3.exe file I go to Programs(86)- Electronic Arts -
    Sims 3- Game - Bin & scroll down.
    Sorry not sure how to turn off DEP on Windows 7, I have vista, but I'm sure its probably similar.
    I found it by going to the little start icon in the left corner, settings- control panel (not classic view the other one, control panel home) - system & maintenance system- & to the left there are a list of items, one of them being advanced system settings - when you get that window open click the advanced tab - then click settings under performance - you will see 3 tabs at the top of the window, one of them is DEP (Data Execution Program)(the last one)open that & then select the second choice turn on DEP for all programs & services except the ones I select.
    Then go to the bottom of the window & click add. Now you can look for the program you want to add. Most of them for the sims 3 game are in programs(86).
    You will be looking for Sims3 launcher for the base game AND the EP's & for Sims 3 for base game & each EP you may have.
    My computer wouldn't let me add the TS3.exe file, not sure why.
    But make sure you add the files for each game you have.
    Hope I've helped you!
  • greeneggshamgreeneggsham Posts: 8
    edited July 2010
    My game keeps crashing as soon as i go into live mode. i have tried the DEP but it didnt work i have all the expansion packs and latest patches. i have just reinstalled the game with no custom content or mods but it still crashes.i would really appreciate if someone could help me solve my problem. Thanks