Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

possible reason for the CAW crashing

dkingdking Posts: 24 New Member
This is just a guess but may be the developers were in such a rush to release this new expansion that they didn't finish the caw part and are going to release the caw parts later after it shipped because i don't see how they could have over looked this problem, its too big. Any Ideas

Comments

• aaronrogers8i3aaronrogers8i3 Posts: 555 Member
    edited June 2010
    Maybe CAW is being updated to support new features because in twinbrook there are two seperate sea levels and lots of new objects to add to the tool. This is making me think that either caw will be updated soon or it will come out of the beta stage.
  • dkingdking Posts: 24 New Member
    edited June 2010
    if your correct then i can't wait till they do release it. I also hope they put even more features in.
  • EletronicSimEletronicSim Posts: 44 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't hold my breath.

Most probably they thought no-one would want to use CAW to create new worlds because of the new ability to edit worlds with Ambitions/BG patch.

A new patch for CAW won't make it have new items, it'll make it recognize the objects from Ambitions/accept different codes.

Also, about that beta... Remember those tools to create wall/floor for TS2? They were beta and never final version. They label it beta so you might expect strange behaviors and not complain.
  • ShallaeShallae Posts: 3,166 Member
    edited June 2010
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Maybe CAW is being updated to support new features because in twinbrook there are two seperate sea levels and lots of new objects to add to the tool. This is making me think that either caw will be updated soon or it will come out of the beta stage.

I think EA has been working on the next major revision of CAW for quite some time. I mean, it's obvious that EA knew Ambitions was going to break CAW, and that CAW has to be updated in order to support the objects/code used in Twinbrook. An update of some sort is imminent; my guess is that EA will release an updated version of CAW when they release the next patch to fix the bugs that the recent patch and Ambitions introduced. (E.g. the "bulldoze/crash" error.)

I hope CAW will come out of the beta stage, and I hope that it will receive Mac OS X support as well. The fact that several "CAW for Mac" threads, including mine, are being moved into the CAW forum and out of the Mac discussions forum is also somewhat promising. There's really no reason CAW should be marked as a beta anyway; it's no more/less buggy than what EA has sold us in the form of EPs and SPs, so I don't see why they're hiding behind the "beta" moniker; it's not like the World Adventures EP, which was arguably more buggy than CAW or the new Ambitions EP was labeled a "beta," and if anything from TS3 deserved that tag, it was certainly WA.

@EletronicSim, The ability to edit worlds with the Ambitions/BG patch was likely a response to the fact that A) Ambitions requires the editing of worlds if you want to add the new careers to existing saved games, and B) the fact that many people were already using the game itself to perform some of CAW's "Edit-In-Game" functions to avoid sitting through extraneously long load times. The "World Editor" is a nice addition to the game, but until I can use it to create worlds from scratch, it's no substitute for CAW. If EA built CAW directly into the "World Editor" itself, that would admittedly be perfect, but I know that they probably won't, at least not until they release "The Sims 4" in a few years. (Which is really a shame, because it seems like the reception to world creation has always been quite positive, and I've personally thought it should've been included in the TS3 base game from day one.)

You're right about what the patch will do, although accepting items from Ambitions could be considered adding "new" items if we use "new" to describe items that CAW doesn't currently have. Of course, there's no reason why EA couldn't add "new" items as well if they thought there was a reason to do so.

I didn't play TS2, so I can't comment on the Wall/Floor tools, but it's my understanding that EA has taken a rather different approach to TS3 than they did with TS2. For example, they don't seem to be burying us in stuff packs, the content from the store is different from that of said stuff packs, and from what I understand, EA is giving a lot more a way, such as the basement tool, with the game updates/patches for TS3 as an incentive to purchase the EPs, rather than attempting to restrict the game as much as possible and essentially forcing people to purchase EPs that they may otherwise pass on. What's more, it appears that they've listened to their customers regarding SecuROM DRM on the DVD version of the game, and opted to use a disc check instead. (The direct download still utilizes SecuROM from what I understand, which is admittedly why I won't touch it.)

As noted above, there's no need for EA to hide behind the beta moniker anymore, not when people can see right through it. If they say "beta" and actually mean "beta," that's fine, but there's no need to label something a "beta" that isn't when it's a pretty well-known fact that the game itself behaves weirdly at times, so we should expect add-on tools to do the same thing.
  • simsfanaholicsimsfanaholic Posts: 19 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I believe the Create-A-World tool has been crashing on people for two reasons, 1. because of current patches/updates that don't support the tool also it's not compatible with Ambitions. it doesn't have the new buildings and features the newer game offers. and when you switch coding in games and programs like that, it gets "confused" and can't run because the program just can't find what it's looking for or there is extra information that it doesn't understand.

I do agree that adding a patch will not add the new buildings into the tool, so not sure how that's going to work; I'm not much of a programmer.
    but they didn't make it a beta just to say "well, it's a beta it's gonna be buggy" if you think about the tools they made for The Sims 2 - they added it into the game... may not be the same but the took they same concepts. They also used those beta's to creates the creating tools we have for this game... TRUST ME, a game company would NEVER invest valuable time and money into something that doesn't mean anything to them or they don't care about! That one mistake could cause a company to go under very quickly.

What I think EA is doing with these beta's and with the release of all the Sims games is testing what people like and don't like and in the end they will reevaluate it all take the bits that were a success and create a massive Simulation game (possible online) don't really know but to me it seems it's going in that direction.

Anyways I'm sure EA will find a solution to the CAW problem and possibly add the new buildings... if not oh well, I just wanna create worlds again :P
  • JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited June 2010
    I don't really care if it stays with the name of beta or not, just fix the darn thing already.

Honestly, I play a lot of games, I have something like over 300 games that I've bought over the past 15+ years and the Sims 3 is in my opinion one of the worst franchises for putting out expansions that break other parts of the game and or contain bugs that a real solid testing group would have found before release.

If it's EA's fault that they are rushing the development team then shame on them, and if it's the development team that isn't good enough for the job, then step aside and give somebody else that might be more talented a try at your position.

What ever it might actually be, it should have been made a priority already and fixed, but my guess is that like most development cycles, after a release the development team goes on holiday to take a break and that's why we have yet to see a patch to fix CAW, theres just nobody at the office that can fix it right now, they're all out on holiday taking a break.
  • drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited June 2010
    @Jalida
    are you (or were :? up until this CAW problem) still working on that world ? i saw it a while back, the roads and sculpting looked amazing, but i haven't seen anything updated on it since, i cant actually find the thread, or have you moved on to something els ?

:( this CAW thing was not bothering me much at first, but now im getting irritated, im finding more and more issues with the "world editor" and i just want to get back to CAW :(
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited June 2010
    Um, how did they create Ambition's new world without their CAW?

They knew- they didn't care to tell us.
  • magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited June 2010
    Just another normal EA way of doing things! Backwards.

• JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited June 2010
    drowssap wrote:
    @Jalida
    are you (or were :? up until this CAW problem) still working on that world ? i saw it a while back, the roads and sculpting looked amazing, but i haven't seen anything updated on it since, i cant actually find the thread, or have you moved on to something els ?

:( this CAW thing was not bothering me much at first, but now im getting irritated, im finding more and more issues with the "world editor" and i just want to get back to CAW :(

I was working on it from time to time, until my 4 and a half year old standard Poodle (Weston) was diagnosed with cancer (the uncurable kind of course) and that pulled me away from gaming (and everyday life) in general.

My Doctor suggested that I keep my mind busy and on other things than my boy Weston so I was trying to get back into doing CAW since that used to occupy my mind pretty good when working in CAW.

I imagine by the time that they actually fix CAW, Weston will be gone and I'll be in a depressed stupor for several months so I guess it's going on the back burner again unless we are blessed with a miracle real soon for Weston.
  • drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited June 2010
    that's awful :( im sorry to hear about that, 4 years is young :( i lost my baby kitten few years ago, it was sudden,but its still not nice :(
    hope you'll be ok

iv been coping with some kind depression for a while now, not something i like talking about, but finding things to keep myself distracted helps, iv been applying to loads of courses and doing voluntary work, and CAW in-between,since docs gave me tablets iv been having about 2 hours sleep a night, and so there's even more hours in the day to try and find something to do :roll:

i think some people have had CAW to work by uninstalling sims ambitions/patch but its not ideal, i thought EA would of released a patch for CAW by now

you'r talented at CAW anyway, i remember looking at a photo of just a road being gob-smacked about how much detail and sculpting you put into it