Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Junkyard salvage items?

My sim is an inventor, still low level, and was curious what I might be able to do with these things in the future, if anything.

Comments

• kirajmpkirajmp Posts: 385 Member
    edited June 2010
    My inventor sim is at level 6, and all he can do with them is blow them up. I read somewhere that eventually they can repair them, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. He has fun blowing them up though!
  • Niklasma2Niklasma2 Posts: 138 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Press Salvage on the piece of furniture, go in to Buy mode, go in to your sims inventory and the piece of furniture will be there.
  • wkhammwkhamm Posts: 228 Member
    edited June 2010
    I'm really having fun blowing things up with my inventor. Be careful though, don't blow up anything in (or too near) your house. I blew up a salvage item in front of the house and caught the whole thing on fire. lol! :P
  • fran666fran666 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2010
    hey guys would one of you be able to help us out on this thread as you all seem to be inventors :)http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/207768.page
  • GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited June 2010
    I also have an inventor but he's only level 1 right now. I'm loving the inventor job though, I really like going ot the junk yard. My sim salvaged a bunch of old firnature but since I didn't know what to do with it I had him sell it all.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • saitayasaitaya Posts: 126 New Member
    edited June 2010
    The first time I salvaged some items I put them in my house since my sim was very poor at the time. A while later they because un-grimy. I'm not sure what caused this =/. I had picked up a dishwasher, phone and couch. All unusable except the couch. And then one day they just started looking like new and worked.

Since this I have gone back to the junkyard and have picked up a bunch of stuff but so far magic hasn't happened to any of the numerous items I have collected =/

Does anyone know what happened?
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I've mostly been detonating them, once I got my invention to level 6.
  • bven49bven49 Posts: 10
    edited June 2010
    Calling over the repair technician will restore salvageable items... at least this has been working for me. Whenever something I have bought on my lot breaks I call them and then they repair the one broken item and then stand around for a bit before announcing they are leaving. Then *poof* instantly restored.
  • Torquemada01Torquemada01 Posts: 20
    edited June 2010
    The only way to advance this career is to sale any items you create from eather your back pack icon or the family items (under the buy items icon which is the box)
    just eather grab the item and place it in the square to the left OR hold the item and press Delete key on key board.
    Each item you sale goes toward your career, just like with any career it does go to level 10 I think at 10 you build the robot, BUT you have to do ALOT of item gathering.
  • srknurbeinsrknurbein Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Do you think it's a glitch that we can't repair salvaged items? What's the point of collecting it if we can't repaire/reuse...
  • saitayasaitaya Posts: 126 New Member
    edited June 2010
    bven49 wrote:
    Calling over the repair technician will restore salvageable items... at least this has been working for me. Whenever something I have bought on my lot breaks I call them and then they repair the one broken item and then stand around for a bit before announcing they are leaving. Then *poof* instantly restored.

Worked. Thanks :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2010
    My inventor could not fix salvaged items until he had his handy skills to 4, nearly 5 and his inventor skill was about the same. I recall he had to fix three items for people in town or the rabbitholes in town, and upgrade 5 items in his own house, and then he could fix any salvage. The higher his handy skill the better the item ends up being. He fixes up some unbelieveable things now, he's just a hair shy of a 10th level Inventor, his handy skill is level 9, and he's in just under the boss at the science facility where he only has to work from 9am-1pm three days a week and gets megabucks. But everything he salvaged is self cleaning, unbreakable or super comfortable, and looks like the highest priced items with perks now. He just reached this point tonight when he also turned adult from a YA. So it happen real fast with becoming an inventor via the science lab.

His wife became a ghost hunter through the science lab also, but she never has to go to the science lab, she only has one -2 houses or businesses to clean of ghosts a night, and one of her perks now is the ghost become her permanent friends so it has made hermax the charisma skill without even trying, among other things. She is a 10th level ghost hunter and gets big money for each trip to a house, plus she gets sent a weekly stipend pay check from the lab every Sunday as well.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• XxAdnamaxXXxAdnamaxX Posts: 24
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure if it has been fixed or not, but there is/was a glitch on salvaged items. If you take all of your items out of your inventory (it won't work if you leave them in there) and place them anywhere around your home lot, then call a repairman,once he leaves you things will be as good as new. All he does is stand there, he doesn't touch any of your items. Its weird but it works. Once the items are fixed they are worth the same as the identical item in the catalog.
    I haven't found any other ways of fixing them and I'm not sure if you are supposed to. I belive the main purpose of them is to detonate them for scrap.
    Hope this helps! :D
  • muffingirlmuffingirl Posts: 16 New Member
    edited March 2011
    I've tried the repairman thing several times... It has yet to work for me....
  • XxAdnamaxXXxAdnamaxX Posts: 24
    edited March 2011
    Huh, guess they fixed it. I havent tried it in a while so i didn't notice.
  • egyptcheeregyptcheer Posts: 7
    edited April 2011
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    My inventor could not fix salvaged items until he had his handy skills to 4, nearly 5 and his inventor skill was about the same. I recall he had to fix three items for people in town or the rabbitholes in town, and upgrade 5 items in his own house, and then he could fix any salvage. The higher his handy skill the better the item ends up being. He fixes up some unbelieveable things now, he's just a hair shy of a 10th level Inventor, his handy skill is level 9, and he's in just under the boss at the science facility where he only has to work from 9am-1pm three days a week and gets megabucks. But everything he salvaged is self cleaning, unbreakable or super comfortable, and looks like the highest priced items with perks now. He just reached this point tonight when he also turned adult from a YA. So it happen real fast with becoming an inventor via the science lab.

His wife became a ghost hunter through the science lab also, but she never has to go to the science lab, she only has one -2 houses or businesses to clean of ghosts a night, and one of her perks now is the ghost become her permanent friends so it has made hermax the charisma skill without even trying, among other things. She is a 10th level ghost hunter and gets big money for each trip to a house, plus she gets sent a weekly stipend pay check from the lab every Sunday as well.
    I think ur lying! you cant become an inventor via the science lab! its a self employment thing! and BTW I tried to do what you did and it doesnt work! sorry but ur wrong!
  • GoldDogfishGoldDogfish Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    ...You do realise you can learn the inventors skill from classes at the Science Lab?

Also I am so disappointed that you can't fix this stuff, great oversight EA.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • piddlesimpiddlesim Posts: 3,251 Member
    edited October 2011
    If you don't mind using mods, Twallan's Master controller can repair salvaged items. There is an option to repair all the items on the lot.

I have my poorer sims collect items from the junkyard. When they get a matched set of something ( like tables and chairs or matching sofa and chair ), I set out all the items that I want fixed. Then I use the Master controller to have them repair all items on their lot.

edit to add: I then use the familyfunds cheat and take out a repair fee. Soemtimes if the item is worth a lot, I have my sim "pay out" about 25% of its worth. So it is kind of like getting a used item.

It works really well.
  • Lolindir_FoxLolindir_Fox Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    my sim's handiness level is at level 10 but i can't repair the salvaged items, i was level 10 before installing the expansion so I don't know if that's it or not, because also I did the firefighter career and had a body of level 7 and I'm at the bottom of the line, but when I leveled up my body twice to get to level 9 i got to level 3 of the profession, so I don't know if the expansion doesn't know I'm that high in handiness or what, I'll try to get my inverter level up and see if that helps.. but I would think I should be able to so I dunno
  • Lolindir_FoxLolindir_Fox Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    ok I have an invention level of 10 a handiness level of 10, and a logic level of 10, I still can't do anything with salvaged scrap except set up a fun detonation chain reaction, so I have no clue what's up with that
  • AHR404AHR404 Posts: 564 Member
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, Lolindir_Fox, you used to be able to call a repair guy and fix the broken items, but EA fixed that "glitch" a while ago.

I don't think our Sims ever had the ability to repair items themselves. A definite miss by EA.
  • marten415marten415 Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    are you trying to repair the burnt looking items or the damaged items?

if it's the burnt ones then you need to replace them, but if it's the damaged ones then you can just repair them like you would an object you break at your house. course you still need to salvage them first
  • IjinIjin Posts: 27 New Member
    edited November 2012
    This is a really bad oversight of EA..

Whats the point letting you collect if you can't fix ? :?
  • DawnmccarthyDawnmccarthy Posts: 58 Member
    edited December 2012
    I just wish they'd fix the problem with statues and globes from the junkyard being perma-stuck in the inventory.
  • xLisa1986xxLisa1986x Posts: 211 Member
    edited March 2013
    I was wondering this as i picked up a couple of things from the junkyard hoping to restore and clean the items so i could make a bit of money by selling them to the consignment store.
    But i have only the option to replace the items when i click on them. I'm guessing by this post i need to get my inventing skill up to be able to do this?