Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Patch and EA's Suprise

Comments

• julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited June 2010
    EA intend to put the adverts on the hoardings around the neighbourhood although they will look ridiculous seeing as the sims have their own unique language .
    At leaset we have the option to go into town edit and remove any billboards if they do use them for that ever.

And the data logging is there if you open your game options it is unchecked but they want people to check the box and let them know EVERY single thing you do ingame

Maybe its also their way to catch people who are getting the store stuff free by finding out every single object file you have ingame so they can do more to stop them .
  • BalefireBalefire Posts: 23 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Firstly, the advertisements are not wanted. They are not breaking any laws adding them but given that it's a paid for game they really have no right to use advertisements. Generally, advertisements are linked to free games not ones that people have paid for.

If they add advertisements then I will simply disable my internet while I play the game. I am not interested in any adverts. If I get adverts in game from other means then I will quite happily send adverts to the support team.

Secondly, Data Collection to me is not really an issue so long as its only logging what I do in game. I am very happy to create books called "EA Games Sucks" and "EA Support Are USELESS" whilst typing and renaming town stores to "BioWare Are Awesome", etc.

If the Data Collection system is actually data mining deeper and linking this to my personal details then regardless of if I have agreed or not agreed to their terms and conditions its still breaking my countries "Statutory Laws". They would need to give a very good reason for why they are doing it.

I have already taken on Zynga over privacy issues with Petville and beat them senseless and received both an indepth apology and had my demands met. I have no problems whatsoever with threatening EA Games also. Usually when I explain that I work for the most powerful legal association in the UK which is headed by the Lord Chancellor, they back down very quickly :P
  • MissJennaKateMissJennaKate Posts: 10,778 New Member
    edited June 2010
    double post grr
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2010
    horrible, horrible idea. are they trying to make themselves seem like total sell outs and ruin the game in the process?
  • drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited June 2010
    to the person above.. Balefire .. out of curiosity now you seem to have friends in high places .. what's your opinion on things like the economy bill and that whole google thing ?

as for disabling internet its possible they could include these advertisements in updates or future expansions so it might be impossible to avoid them, if they wanted to make it so, unless there was some other way/mod of disabling them

unless we know what information their receiving its hard to know what can be done about it, it may just be like Microsoft do with these 'reports' were if there's an error it just gets automatically reported to them, i wouldn't like if if they we're receiving information on what i did in the game or anything else on my computer though

mm :?

• drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited June 2010
    to the person above.. Balefire .. out of curiosity now you seem to have friends in high places .. what's your opinion on things like the economy bill and that whole google thing ?

as for disabling internet its possible they could include these advertisements in updates or future expansions so it might be impossible to avoid them, if they wanted to make it so, unless there was some other way/mod of disabling them

unless we know what information their receiving its hard to know what can be done about it, it may just be like Microsoft do with these 'reports' were if there's an error it just gets automatically reported to them, i wouldn't like if if they we're receiving information on what i did in the game or anything else on my computer though

mm :?

• ToppenzapToppenzap Posts: 773 New Member
    edited June 2010
    To me it depends on where the advertisements are- if they're things like Toyota cars, etc. That's totally fine with me. Also, if they're 'simmified' commercials on TVs and billboards that's also okay with me, though I'd be a little annoyed. However, if it's in English and blatant than no thank you.

As for data logging- no thanks. Why do you need our information about 'how we play' and such? You can just poll us or read our posts since many talk about it anyways.
  • ImperialsimImperialsim Posts: 265 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I know people would like, if we had to have ads ,that it would be Simmifed but I don't believe that would happen, because Ad providers would want their advertisements to be readable and since Simlish is not a readable language, ad providers would not like that and thus it would not be in Simlish. :/
  • blueangelz11915blueangelz11915 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2010
    That is dumb of EA to add advertisements into The Sims 3. One, what happens when someone plays a game for so long that the Indiana Jones advertisement is a couple years old? And people who don't have Internet won't care about going to that dumb dating site advertised.

Adding advertisements to the game would only cause annoyances for EA's customers.
  • LostGuyLostGuy Posts: 61 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Well done ads could be totally cool. Imagine having the choice between Dominos and Papa Jhon's. If you order Dominos all your sims get sick. But if you order Papa Jhon's they get a good meal moodlet.

You could also have non-product specfic items made free. I would definately look fondly on a company who would sponser the Steam-Punk clothing set to all we simmers. I'd perfer their products to all the others.
  • NeverentNeverent Posts: 478 Member
    edited June 2010
    LostGuy wrote:
    Well done ads could be totally cool. Imagine having the choice between Dominos and Papa Jhon's. If you order Dominos all your sims get sick. But if you order Papa Jhon's they get a good meal moodlet.

You could also have non-product specfic items made free. I would definately look fondly on a company who would sponser the Steam-Punk clothing set to all we simmers. I'd perfer their products to all the others.

Sarcasm detector is going wild, but could be on the fritz. False alarm?
  • MPSaiMPSai Posts: 185 New Member
    edited June 2010
    In-game ads are stupid, but it's tolerable if we're talking about like billboards in racing and sports games, but The Sims has it's own spoken and written language. Personally I'd just tell my firewall to block the program from the internet to keep them from coming in.
    edited June 2010
    In-game ads are stupid, but it's tolerable if we're talking about like billboards in racing and sports games, but The Sims has it's own spoken and written language. Ads would be distracting and detrimental to gameplay. Personally I'd just tell my firewall to block the program from the internet to keep them from coming in.
    edited June 2010
    In-game ads are stupid, but it's tolerable if we're talking about like billboards in racing and sports games, but The Sims has it's own spoken and written language. Ads would be distracting and detrimental to gameplay. Personally I'd just tell my firewall to block the program from the internet to keep them from coming in.
  • IllumeiaIllumeia Posts: 43 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Wait, you can't disable the data collecting thing? That would just be like, outright lying to customers wouldn't it? They can't collect personal data without my consent! and I specifically did not give my consent when I said "no" to their stupid data collecting crap crap by unchecking that evil box.

I might possibly stand advertisement if the future expansions are free. And that depends on how they're planning to have the ads, if they're gonna pop up like the events and notifications that will be really annoying. I'm getting annoyed enough already having to close all the notification now with their new "never go away till you close it" system. I am going to assume this is how the ads are gonna come cos there is no point otherwise to changing the old system and making it more annoying. Having said that, I'd still buy their games if the ads are simified. In fact, I will be really happy about them. They're never gonna do that though because it'll be like giving us free sim stuff like ad billboards or a can of coke to buy. Seriously, if it remotely sounds like we're having stuff EA will want us to pay for it. I'm sure they would give us just one set of clothes and hair and no make up and put everything else in the store if they felt they could get away with it.
  • ImperialsimImperialsim Posts: 265 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, someone said you can try and disable it under options but it will still try to transmit data.
    "Although the option to disable it appears under "options" it doesn't ever turn off. It still tries to transmit data whether or not the box is checked."
  • DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    edited June 2010
    So, EA has taken away our 1000 free Simpoints for registering Ambitions, wants to add unwanted adverts to our game and is "logging" our information which they will no doubt be selling to some random third party. Wow. They have pulled off the Triple Crown of getting paid and only with the release of one EP.

@DarkMirage,
    You are not being paranoid, you are being smart to distrust this "information logging." Just the words themselves make my skin crawl. Information is the new currency in this day and age and I am sick of feeling like there is always a bounty on my head. I thought I could at least escape this relentless hounding for information while I was playing my game but it looks like even that is too much to ask.

*sigh*
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • JFolcik009JFolcik009 Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2010
    Honestly, I'm not sure how to feel about this. If it's just gonna put ads into my game and real world product placement then FANTASTIC. However, if they're going to take data from my computer or do market research by reviewing sites I shop at or visit then FORGET IT.

There is a fine line between cool and invasive. Don't cross it EA...
  • lee_3000lee_3000 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited June 2010
    All im going to say is.....

GOD i wish the sims never was brought by the greedy EA company.
    Although Sims2 + the EP's were good, EA has now seen how much customer there can grab "hike up the price" and once again forget about us and what we want!
    Typical business in some sense but still cmon EA!

Ads will just annoy the hell out of me!

This Data log crap?? if it is true then goodbye Sims3, il just uninstall, sent it back to EA with some s!*^% and play the game how it used to be SIMS2

I wont be buying any EP's until we know what exactly they plan to do to ruin this game anymore.
  • kaloesche68kaloesche68 Posts: 815 Member
    edited June 2010
    They are talking about this data collection thing on the website we can't talk about or put links to in this forum. The general concensious is to shut down your internet through your firewall while you play. There's speculation that this program is just logging info to better help the Sims team know our wants-by how we play.

Or, this has been mentioned as possibly being more invasive, and actually being able to weed out illegal copies of games and Store Stuff.

This is the file that is thought to be what they are gathering-it is in your Sims 3 folder in your documents-"Sims3Logs" it can be opened with notepad.

There is the option of turning this collection thing off, through your game options. But someone noted that even after they did that, the game was still trying to "phone home".

No matter why data is being collected, I like the shutting down the internet while I'm playing idea. If they want to know "how I play", they can just ask.
  • Elilie101Elilie101 Posts: 1,367 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Hey, what? Data logging? :shock: SCARED!

If EA puts ads into TS3, then I want it posted to me for free two days before official release EVERY time without me having to remind them.
    There'll be a mod to get rid of them, anyways.

How do I eject this data logging thing from my laptop? I don't even send reports to microsoft when my laptop does something weird, so I'm afraid EA aren't getting my data. It's mine. Not for them.
  • Matty16Matty16 Posts: 387 New Member
    edited June 2010
    EA add ads, I stop buying. Simple as that.
    edited June 2010
    I hope more people agree with us and they see this and reconsider cause I honestly think if they add ads they are going to be taking the game to the grave
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited June 2010
    I'm trying this again. Nerd keeps eating my posts. I've been against this since it first came out before TS3 was released. Over on the TS2 BBS I and several others posted our opposition and were put down harshly by those that wanted the new and shiny.

Well, who's having the last laugh now, me hearties? <grin>
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • CasperwCasperw Posts: 42
    edited June 2010
    Signed for not wanting any ads in a game for which I've paid and that data logging really bothered me as well.

Maybe the author of this post should put this into the general discussion forum for more exposure. Maybe EA needs another lesson, like getting "Spored."