Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the update is now available

im not sure if this is everywere but i was about to open up the launcher to continue with my buildings before i get ambitions and the update is available

games>game update .. it should be there

just mentioning this because i keep seeing messages saying theres no update .. but there is isn't there .. :?

i have 2 questions ...

1. does anyone know what the Commemorative editions digital asset card downloads are yet ?

2. anyone from the uk thats pre-orderd with game ..have you also received an email ? any ideas when it might arrive :( oh the suspense !

Comments

• Emilywatson88Emilywatson88 Posts: 261
    edited June 2010
    hey i just got an email from game too. i'm guessing they will send it tomorrow as it's a bit late now, and then hopefully we'll get it on thursday!
  • drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited June 2010
    yess i know think some of the latest places for delivery is at 6:30 :(! i was so hoping tomorrow

least for now theres some new things with the update to keep me entertained for a while ..
    edited June 2010
    ah well thursdays not bad, especially as I assumed it would be friday!

I'm wondering about the digital asset card too. I'm not bothered about the other stuff (poster etc), only ordered the commemorative edition because it's the same price!

have fun with the new update, not long now!
    edited June 2010
    same actually, why go for the normal version when the commemorative is the same price :?

seems the website for the supposed content doesn't work i want to know what it is :(

oh i hope EA put new things on the store, i want too see new things now :(
    edited June 2010
    I think the site for the content will be updated on the 4th, as the commemorative edition is only available in europe (i think), so it would make sense to do it then.

as for the store, i think they normally update it the first thursday of the month, so looks like it will be a big day for us haha!
    edited June 2010
    really ? :shock: ohhh im going to like Thursday ! haha :)!
    how come its only available to Europe i wonder .. would that suggest the items would be Europe related like the little car they had up on the store .. mm

hope the store gets updated its just a shame they dont give any points with the expansion,

its just aswell it dont arrive tomorrow i suppose :( i have a very important assignment due in soon,
    edited June 2010
    i have no idea why lol, i could be wrong but people from europe were talking about it and others hadn't even heard of it.

yeah its a shame we don't get points but i still have a fair few from the base game and WA, just saving them for when something really good comes lol!

good luck with your assignment!
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited June 2010
    Downloading an update. Not sure what it's supposed to do though. There's no list like they always have.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
    edited June 2010
    oh disappointment :shock: only 4?!?! tattoos :shock: hope ambitions will add more :shock:

the world editor is great 8) now i can have all my little lots :)!

i don't have many points left at all but i don't see much reason in buying any if there's nothing new up ... yet ..

thankyou! i need it, sociology :shock: i understand the work fine, just writing about it is depressing
  • BranrBranr Posts: 410 Member
    edited June 2010
    To install this update, please start your game and use the “Updates” tab in your Launcher.

This game update includes:

This game update enables dynamic ad serving capabilities in The Sims 3. However, there are no immediate plans to activate any content of this kind. The Sims 3 EULA has further details. See http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas.
    Lights placed on residential and community lots will now properly display onto the neighborhood
    Sims may now walk and stand on bridges
    Players who play The Sims 3 with game modifications can now create a folder in which to place their game modifications. The folder should be located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourComputer\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods

When Mods are placed in the official Mod folder, a notification will appear to remind players that Mods are installed.
    Placing Mod packages into the Mod folder is an officially sanctioned way to bypass assembly signing verification. The Resource.cfg file must be placed in this folder in order for the modifications to work correctly.
    When Mods are installed that are incompatible, the player will receive a message notifying them of the error.
    Additional bug fixes to existing features

Edit Town Mode

Players may now add, delete, and move residential and community lots from the Edit Town menu
    Players may now add, delete, and move neighborhood decorative objects from the Edit Town menu
    Players may now purchase and upgrade neighborhood community lots using the new Real Estate system via the Computer
    When using the Library in Edit Town, lots will now display their venue type (i.e. Park)

Gameplay Changes

Story Progression has been improved to prevent Sims required to complete Opportunities from changing.
    Sim genetics have been improved so that children now better reflect their parents’ skin tone and hairstyles.
    Sims can unlock outfit choices and share them with household members when using the “Plan Outfit” interaction on the Dresser.

Build/Buy Mode

Players may now use Create a Style on Ceilings or add and delete them when in Build Mode
    Players may now use Create a Style on the edges of floor tiles
    When placing walls, rooms, foundations/decks, floor tiles, roofs, pools, fences, and basements the measuring tape tool will display to aid in more precise building.
    Wall Covering sets can now be found in a tab in Build Mode
    Players may now manipulate the roof pitch for individual roof sections when in Build Mode
    Sculptures can be found in a new Sculpture sorting category when in Buy Mode

Create a Sim

Players may now use the Tattoo feature to customize Sims when in Create a Sim
    Players may now select the Fiancé, Girlfriend, and Boyfriend relationship settings when in Create a Sim

UI & Controls

The user-interfaces for Sim View and Map View have been merged to provide more control and consistency between the two modes.
    The Opportunity interface has been improved to clearly outline the fiction, gameplay objectives, rewards, and Opportunity location for all Opportunities and Adventures.

World Adventures

Certain Adventures and Opportunities will properly display in the Opportunities Panel when traveling between worlds

Before installing an Update for The Sims 3, an Expansion Pack, or a Stuff Pack, it is a good idea to run through the following checklist to ensure your game continues to work smoothly.
    If you have any questions about the below steps, please visit the Technical Support forum on the official Sims 3 community found at this URL: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/forums/show/10.page

Step 1: Disable Custom Content

Custom Content is all Sims content that did not come from an official The Sims 3 Update, The Sims 3 Store, Expansion Pack, or Stuff Pack. Custom Content is created by 3rd Party Developers that are not regulated by Electronic Arts or The Sims 3 Development Team and may not work with new updates. Custom Content may cause the game to behave unexpectedly or not function entirely.

To disable your custom content, undo whatever you did to install this content to get your game back into an unmodified state. If you placed it in a Sims 3 directory folder, move it to a new folder that is outside your Sims 3 file directory. Your Sims 3 file directory can be found using the paths listed below:

Windows File Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

Mac File Directory: User/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims/

Once you have installed the official update you may re-enable your custom content. If you experience problems, disable it again until the 3rd party developer updates their content to work with the official Update, Expansion Pack, or Stuff Pack.

Step 2: Back Up your Save Files

It’s always a good precaution to back up your save files before installing an Expansion Pack, Update, or Stuff Pack. To do this, copy the “.sims3” folders found in the Saves folder onto your desktop or another file directory.

Your Sims 3 Saves folder can be found using the paths listed below:

Windows File Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves

Mac File Directory: User/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims/Saves

After the Update is installed, run the game to verify your saves still function correctly.

Step 3: Let the Update Complete Entirely

Updates can sometimes be rather large and may take a while to download and install completely. Cancelling the update before it has completed may cause unexpected problems, so it is always best to let it finish entirely. Do not close the Launcher until you have confirmed the update is completely installed, as this will cancel the update.
    edited June 2010
    thanks to the person above :)!

mm im still looking around to see what is new, but the world editor 8) oh its great!

• PixieStixPixieStix Posts: 1,956 Member
    edited June 2010
    I just installed it even though I don't have Ambitions yet and now it wont let me download anything I purchase in the store :(
    LadySmitanbanner_zps7eszqcmq.jpg
    YouTube:Lady Smitan Twitter:@LadySmitan Gallery:LadySmitan
    edited June 2010
    oh no :shock: i hope that crazy thing that happened last week wont happen again :(
    seemed that loads of people couldn't download from the store then
    perhaps there updating it :( hope that's all it is
  • PixieStixPixieStix Posts: 1,956 Member
    edited June 2010
    Me too I had saved up my sim points for those items and now I still can't have them! I hope this doesn't mean I have waisted them :?
    LadySmitanbanner_zps7eszqcmq.jpg
    YouTube:Lady Smitan Twitter:@LadySmitan Gallery:LadySmitan
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited June 2010
    Oh, okay I did find the List but thanks for posting it.

And now, I'm wondering what this is going to do to my mods folder. I may have to end up uninstalling everything. We'll see.

Looks like they're fixing to sneak ads in on us as well.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • kaloesche68kaloesche68 Posts: 815 Member
    edited June 2010
    Gosh, while I love new expansions, another update may just do my game in. It still doesn't work since the updates last November broke everything, and I have to use 3rd party programs to get my game to work. I'll be crossing my fingers here, LOL.
  • BranrBranr Posts: 410 Member
    edited June 2010
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Oh, okay I did find the List but thanks for posting it.

And now, I'm wondering what this is going to do to my mods folder. I may have to end up uninstalling everything. We'll see.

Looks like they're fixing to sneak ads in on us as well.

As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the few games where in-game ads would fit (on billboards and posters in-game, for example). Now if they offered such ads, as an example, as a discount for Sims points (download latest ads and we give you 500 points!) I'm sure they'd have a lot of people taking the offer.
  • kaloesche68kaloesche68 Posts: 815 Member
    edited June 2010
    And another thing I just noticed, this update once again did not fix the FPS problems many Simmers have experienced since Sims 3 first came out.

And the ad thing, that was supposed to be in the Sims 3 base game, but so many people complained they took it out.

And Branr, don't take this wrong, but your post made me laugh, EA giving free Sim points, good one! LOL no actually it is a great idea.
  • TheWrongLaneTheWrongLane Posts: 70 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I tried to update the game, but the update failed. I tried to bring up the launcher to try again, but it gave me the version incompatible error message and now all the buttons are blocked out and the launcher isn't fully loaded. I've tried deleting the Version.tag file like the EA help section told me to, but it didn't work. :/ Anyone have any advice?
  • electricfeelelectricfeel Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2010
    I dunno if this is the right place to post this but the forums keep crashing when I try and start a new thread so this'll have to do...

Anyway, I just went to play the Sims 3 (w/o Ambitions) and saw that the new patch was availible to download so I decided to get it. When I started playing the game as 'normal', there were loads of notable new features, for example my sim could 'check real estate' using their mobile phone, and I could add lots to Sunset Valley which has never happened for me before.

Basically, I'm wondering is this normal?! Has this happened to everyone else?!
  • electricfeelelectricfeel Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2010
    I dunno if this is the right place to post this but the forums keep crashing when I try and start a new thread so this'll have to do...

Anyway, I just went to play the Sims 3 (w/o Ambitions) and saw that the new patch was availible to download so I decided to get it. When I started playing the game as 'normal', there were loads of notable new features, for example my sim could 'check real estate' using their mobile phone, and I could add lots to Sunset Valley which has never happened for me before.

edited June 2010

yes that is what the update is :)
    if you have a look at the list someone posted on the first page of this thread you will see the other changes too
    edited June 2010
    i found it shocking when there was an update to change the stair colour, but yes, unlike sims 2 these update are not only noticeable but amazing 8) haha

but i think if you have ambitions .. the update is included with it :? is it not ? because in ambitions things like tattoos are already included

also i dont mind what anyone posts on here, provided its not completely irrelevant and contains hundreds of adds

i think everyones experiencing problems with the forums, i keep getting the trouble page and double posting

and @ TheWrongLane mm im not sure, i think this happened to me before i accidentally closed my pc during an update, i cant remember what i did to fix it though, have you tried to re-start your computer and re-open the launcher,
    i wish i could be more help,

do you plan on getting sims ambitions ? or are you getting it soon, if its only a day or so you'll be waiting maybe when you try and install it the issue will resolve itself ..
  • TheWrongLaneTheWrongLane Posts: 70 New Member
    edited June 2010
    drowssap: I've restarted my computer and launcher. I don't have Ambitions yet, but I do plan to get it soon. I called technical support and they told me to do a clean boot, which I did, but sadly the launcher is still broken. Thank you for trying to help, though. :)
    edited June 2010
    one thing i would suggest, might seem strange, but download something from the store .. even its its free, or you've already downloaded it, because i have a suspicion the store items might not be working, and last time that happened the launcher wasn't either,

mm :? worst case scenario your looking at uninstalling and re-installing,but i hope the support team will get back to you with a better idea, have you messaged back to say it didn't work ?

this might be one of those complicated registry issues which, i seem to come across every 5 mins, especially with some er compatible vista programs, but i havent a clue about the sims 3 in there, and i wouldn't recommend going near those files,

one thing though, disk clean-up and disk defragment .. it might not do anything but its better than nothing