Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

***Creative Designing with Darkside266

Comments

• PINKLADY1PINKLADY1 Posts: 142 Member
    edited April 2010
    Welcome to mysticblue and Kquinn-Humm.

DS: Yes DS it has been a while hasn't it.
    Lovin it already. Especially the kitchen "stove", very mediterranean.

Cera: Love those colors I like the half wall design on the house.

Well I have worked on my modern at a bit.
    28sstv4.jpg

5angxv.jpg

2drvq02.jpg

inbf44.jpg

1figt5.jpg

dourer.jpg

It is still very much a work in progress.
  • darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited April 2010
    Well first thing..welcome to any new simmers checking us out and returning members..good to see everyone.

Kquinn..i looked at your thread for your stair issue..i am pretty sure this can be resolved by placing floor tiles on the lower floor,i have the same issue from time to time when using CFE..now another thing you could do for your stairs..instead of using 2 staircases,center 1 staircase,but make it 4 tiles wide,that way it comes up and is inline with the upper stairs,then in your corners you can place,statues,fountains or plants.Here is an example of what i'm suggesting.
    10eihbn.jpg

Cera..i have seen your modern progress..at this time i do suggest doing something with your chimney.it has a section missing.so far i do like your interior,i did post about your kitchen at TSS..i'm not great at trying to get a minimalist look either,so i go for modern luxury..lol

Pinklady..so far i like the layout and design of your modern..the first thing i notice that could use some attention though is your windows.My personal opinion is..with the darkness of your stucco and trim,i would go with white trim on windows and doorframes,let them stand out a little.if they end up being to bright,just tone them down a bit.BUt i say this because i like the white trim on your downstairs doors and the white fencing.I also like your gardening and koi pond..so far besides casing trim,i dont see much i can offer in changes.I like it.
  • kquinn1990kquinn1990 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited April 2010
    ok should i put floor down with cfe on or off? and if that does not work what else should i try
  • Walden95Walden95 Posts: 3,089 Member
    edited April 2010
    *Added to the Walden95 Post Directory. :wink:

I'll see how this thread goes then. If it continues to be successful for a while, I probably will convert the sig into a photo Ad.
    edited April 2010
    Kquinn..if you are done using CFE,then turn it off until you need it again..place your flooring with it off and even the stairs should place correctly with it off..if your CFE is on,that could be another reason your stairs are going thru the foundation.

Walden..thank you very much for adding us..as far as the siggie pic..your welcome to add it whenever you want.we have been active since mid january,we have just hit a slow period since the forums acted up,but i'm positive with new members ,it will become active again.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks DS for all the suggestions

I redid the pool flooring and just added a small fence around the fireplace because they looked got of crazy there like that.

250pmdf.jpg

A small game room
    2aeqhya.jpg

4tvnkx.jpg

Not so sure about the living room but here it is
    ehij4.jpg

2mf15if.jpg

2nl4hfs.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Pink..still liking your home..your new fences look good around the firepits,but i would simtest to make sure they are still usable. now for your living room..as much as i like the huge painting behind the sofa.with the coloring in the room,it kind of disappears,personally i would use something that stands out..next thing i see is i would CASt the window trim to match the rest of the trim in the room..and those large inset windows,are they CC/store items or have you figured out how to build some custom looking windows??because they look so cool.
    edited April 2010
    The firepits: I'm not sure if they work or not. I had another firepit on the lot that is usable so would be okay if those are just for decor purposes only.
    Living Room: You are so right about the painting, everytime I viewed the living room in the back of mind I just kept saying the painting has to go. Ignoring my thoughts because I like the painting so much. The windows came from the store. They were included in the Bah Haus Set.

DS: Go check out your page. I left you something.
    edited April 2010
    Pinklady..first of all let me say Thank You for the gift..it wasnt necessary,but greatly appreciated..now as for your firepits..i have made plenty of things in my builds strictly for decor purposes and had a usable item on lot..but part of what would make your firepits so cool would be their ability to light up at the ends of the pool.that would be the biggest reason to have them usable,just for the effect,so please test them.Those low fences may not hinder there performance,i dont know..i do know there are some of our small fences that do not hinder sims from walking over them,i hope these have the same effect.
    edited April 2010
    well here are some updates to my home i started a couple of days ago,so far just working out the exterior.

front entryway
    25h1dtt.jpg
    6575o1.jpg
    30xg6js.jpg
    2jvbqe.jpg

back yard
    347cx05.jpg
    efgxfr.jpg
    2hz0bp2.jpg
    34gu4hj.jpg
  • Cera13Cera13 Posts: 891 Member
    edited April 2010
    Pink-I like it a lot so far! The only thing I would change is the picture in the living room. I love it too, beautiful, but is getting lost in the room.

DS-Wow! That is really coming together quite well! I really like the backyard pool and dining area. Looks wonderful!
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited April 2010
    Hi Darkside & everybody else,

I would love to have your feedback about my latest build. This French lot is specially built for Ricslady world Colcastle Ridge. It is called Chez Nous. Here is the link to the thread where the lot was originally posted:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/193957.page#2346663
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited April 2010
    well here are some updates to my home i started a couple of days ago,so far just working out the exterior.

front entryway
    25h1dtt.jpg
    6575o1.jpg
    30xg6js.jpg
    2jvbqe.jpg

back yard
    347cx05.jpg
    efgxfr.jpg
    2hz0bp2.jpg
    34gu4hj.jpg

Darkside, WOW! Your lot is looking gorgeous! Specially love the two stairways leading to the house! The landscaping looks extraordinary! I wish I had your talent! I am sure going to recommend it once you upload it to the exchange! :D
    edited April 2010
    Cera and yanti..thank you for the compliments

yanti,i commented on your thread about your home.You always compliment me on my landscaping,sometimes i am just taking someone elses ideas and pushing them one more step.i liked your wall ivy's,i may be using that somewhere..BUt when your landscaping.please show your pics here or TSS and i will see if there is anything else i would add.as for your interiors..well not sure i would be much help there,you already do much better than i ,in that area.BUT on yours landscaping ,i did see a couple of things i would have done differently,i would have CASt the planters to wood tones to fit the era,and in almost every section of the flower/rose areas,i would have thrown in groupings of smaller flowers,brought in the reds,blues and yellows..kinda like what i did around my pool.it helps add color and gives a more full look to those areas.
    edited April 2010
    Well as May fastly approaches us,i guess anyone wanting to get involved in Mays project may want an idea of whats going on..well its called Aquatic Architech,or floating houses.I have provided a link on page 1 for inspirational pictures..The style you choose is completely up to you,since its your neighborhood your filling.So you may choose a modern,houseboat,boathouse,cabin on lake,Venetian Style home,or even the Boat looking homes you might find in parts of Asia.The main criteria is that your home is surrounded by water on 3 sides,and please include a decorative boat somewhere.Lot choice and size is completely up to you.you can even convert one of the community lots to a residential if you wish so that you have surrounding area to fit your theme.The main thing is to try something new and to have fun with it.
    Inspirational site
    http://www.trendir.com/house-design/floating/

Now if you finish and need something else to do. Fidlerten has his Victorian Challenge open now,so check out his thread.You may find it interesting also.It is open to Pro and Amateur builders.One of the greatest benefits to his challenges,besides experience,is the cool medals you can add to your siggies,compliments of Garbuckle.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/107261.page#1241418
    edited April 2010
    hey, i tried the floor on the bottom and it did nothing. also i went down to the foundation i did not see the stairs. it is playable but it looks weird. is there anything else.
    edited April 2010
    Kquinn...it sounds as if you have tried everything i would have..you may just have some kind of glitch..i keep thinking i remember you commenting over at Fidlertens thread that you have disappearing sims when they go down stairs..so if that was you,then you may have a glitch that needs tech support to help you figure out..I know some others have had disappearing sims before,but i dont know how it was fixed..so if your stairs are usable,then you may have to settle for that..

Another thing i have read that simmers do when they have a glitchy house is save a copy to library,bulldoze and replace on same lot or different lot and sometimes that also helps fix glitches..BUT i'm not positive if it fixes everything.

*EDIT* when you placed your flooring on bottom floor.did you remove and replace stairs?if you didnt then maybe give that a try.
  • cinsinncinsinn Posts: 179 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Hi, totally new to the forums and this thread, and its my first ever attempt at posting pics, so if I do something wrong, let me know how to fix it. Thanks!

Anyways, I'm working on a new house and would love some feed back and creative critisism. I'm still a noob at building but I'm learning. Thanks again!

Screenshot.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Screenshot-12.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Screenshot-11.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Screenshot-10.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Screenshot-9.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Screenshot-7.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Screenshot-6.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Screenshot-5.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Screenshot-4.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Screenshot-3.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Screenshot-2.jpg"height=450""width=600"[img][/img]
    edited April 2010
    ive tried all and now im trying to see if you can see what going on by uploading it but im getting this expection raised thing. I have no cover shot and its coming up and ive uninstalled the cover changer thing and its still doing it.

and also that was me who said the sims were sinking into the bottom floor, i never finished that house because of it.
  • Cera13Cera13 Posts: 891 Member
    edited April 2010
    Yanti-Beautiful lot, I commented on your thread :)
  • j4142000j4142000 Posts: 61 New Member
    edited April 2010
    I have a cheat that can give you stuff that you can't usaly buy!
    buydebug on
    For example,if you have world adventures,you could buy tomb stuff with this cheat!
    Am I writing this correctly?Am I doing something wrong in writing this?
    Anyway,you could also by object spawners,or you could buy other cool things!
    edited April 2010
    Cinsinn...Welcome to the thread..keep in mind,the advice we give on decorating and style is merely personal taste and opinions.we offer a new set of eyes to help gain perspective in each other builds.and when we have tech advice we can share,we do that also.when it comes to interiors,i try not to pick the apart,because i encourage creativity,but if something really stands out,thats what i will point out.
    Now for your build,i see your a fan of CC,(so am i).just keep in mind when sharing that not everyting always transfers and in your description,you need to include that your home has CC,because some people dont want it in their games.
    I like the design of your home and i only see a couple of minor flaws with interior.One of the main things that sticks out to me are the door and window trims,i would CASt them to match the trim in each room,(if the walls have dark trim,then the door frame and window frames should match,IF they connect to base or crown molding).I see you know how to use MOO and create your own pieces,thats a good thing.Your fridge looks like it could use another color,either CAS it to match counters or stove,whichever you prefer.Other than that,i dont see anything that clashes,its hard to blieve your a "Noob".
    Now for your landscaping.The front yard seems to be lacking just a bit.experiment with terrain paints alittle.around flower beds,use either light or dark mulch.If you place trees without flowers around them,then use mulches around base of trees to show leaves on the ground below them.Even if you go back a couple of pages here,you can get an idea of alot of my landscaping and possibly get some ideas.I see a privacy fence around backyard,thats fine,but with this style home,it feels like the front yard deserves the white picket fence.Well thats about all i see that needs tweeking,i hope to see you continue posting your pics here.

Kquinn..sorry your still having issues..another alternate source for uploading to that many of us builders have resorted to is 4shared.com it is free..all you have to do,is ingame send your lot to upload as usual.BUT dont send it to EA yet.Go to your 4shared account..click for upload and you should find your file in doc/ea/sims3/exports.it will have whatever name you give it..if you use 4shared,dont worry about coverpics as there are no coverpics there.another benefit is you can upload files up to 200 mbs without a timeout period(or at least i havent had one yet) and i have lots that are as much as 186 mbs.

j4142000..thank you for your cheat suggestion..you do have to remember there is a cheat you use before you can use buydebug though and it is testingcheatsenabled true
    most of us knew it,but it was welcome anyway,since there are new people checking out the thread that may not have known about it.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks tons! I didn't even think about the window trims, and now that you mention it the fridge does stand out. lol I haven't even started upstairs yet, but wanted to get a "feel" for the front yard I guess. The white picket fence sounds perfect for the front yard. I'm horrible with landscape paints but that sounds easy enough. I'll play around with it.

Yes, I'm addicted to CC lol. Most of my CC has come from other lots, but some of it is from TSR as well, so I will keep that in mind. I usually upload sims, but I've been trying to expand a bit. I'm going to give the aquatic challenge a go too. I appreciate any and all advice given. It will help me improve.
    edited April 2010

Ok, I've redone the windows and door and added dirt and redmulch around the plants, plus the fence. I also plan to add a small corner flower garden near the mailbox. Better?
    windows.jpg"height=450""width=600"
    fridgeredo.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    side.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    Front.jpg"height=450""width=600"[
    edited April 2010
    Cinsinn..your welcome in any ways i can help.the Aquatic project can be as easy or as difficult as you want..you can do anything from a starter on the lake to trying your hand at building a boat shaped house,that part is all up to you.A member of the fansite version of this tread already started a fantasy style glass castle surrounded by water.You are also more than welcome to join us at the simmersociety and post in the thread there.I spend more time there,mainly because posting is easier.