Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited March 2010
    New Project:

and that's it for now :)

It looks very promising. I can't wait to see more.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • laurenruth915laurenruth915 Posts: 4,102 New Member
    edited March 2010
    Here is my newest project. Having tons of roof problems... the dormer looks awkward and i want a roof above the porch where the wood flooring is now. oh wellz. here it is.

2q9w8l4.jpg
    302oxoi.jpg
    v5vpxe.jpg
    2r61yxe.jpg

Advice and feedback is welcome.

• SimEveSimEve Posts: 4,772 Member
    edited March 2010
    So sorry to intrude guys! I just need to get Magician's attention. Hey mag. I left a note for you in the thread for Tessa's Neighborhood. Please let me know what can be done. Thanks!
  • magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited March 2010
    SimEve wrote:
    So sorry to intrude guys! I just need to get Magician's attention. Hey mag. I left a note for you in the thread for Tessa's Neighborhood. Please let me know what can be done. Thanks!

Hi Simeve

You're not intruding. I ahve left you a message on the Town for Tessa thread.

Will get back to you asap
  • Buddy_ClydeBuddy_Clyde Posts: 85 New Member
    edited March 2010
    CFE Lesson 2 Beach Cottage WIP

Magic Man, MerryWidow and fellow builders:
    I’m not pleased with where I am at in this assignment, but have exhausted my small repertoire of tricks. I don’t know how to do dormers except with Hipped roofs. I have cheated and narrowed my upstairs rooms on the left. I have given my Vaulted Ceiling living room and dinning room partial ceilings. At this point, my Hipped and Half-Hipped roofs are as low as I can get them. Any suggestions or helps, welcome. Surely someone else has done this assignment. The following montages all have my work on the bottom.

CFE Lesson 2 Front Montage
    CFE2FrontMontage.jpg

CFE Lesson 2 Floor Plan Montage
    CFE2FloorPlanMontage.jpg

CFE Lesson 2 Elevation Montage
    CFE2ElevationMontage.jpg

Oh yes, my color palette is:
    CFE2ColorPalette.jpg

ps I'm proud that I have learned to create the montages without PhotoShop.
    edited March 2010
    Magic Man:

I have downloaded and rec your newest. Looks delicious as always. Look forward to going through it.

One note however. I don't know where you live that you can upload 33.6 MB but I need to move there.
    edited March 2010
    kquinn1990 wrote:
    yup, no prob. i guess that really does work changing your picture.you should see how many downloads i got on my latest house because of it :_

Yep it does. Congratulations on over 400 downloads.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited March 2010
    Here is my newest project. Having tons of roof problems... the dormer looks awkward and i want a roof above the porch where the wood flooring is now. oh wellz. here it is.

Hi Lauren. Well let's see if I can help. I think you need to make the dormer smaller for the size of roof that you have there. Only 1 tile wide would probably work better. As for the roof over the veranda, you will have to temporarily remove the windows and do a roof over the entire first floor. The roof then will have to be made as short as possible and use MOO to replace the windows. The roof on the second floor will make the interior roof on the first floor disappear. At least it should. Give it a try and see how you make out. If you have any questions about this process, please ask.

If you need a tutorial for different roofs slope angles there are a few good ones in the 3rd post on the first page of this thread.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited March 2010

I’m not pleased with where I am at in this assignment, but have exhausted my small repertoire of tricks. I don’t know how to do dormers except with Hipped roofs. I have cheated and narrowed my upstairs rooms on the left. I have given my Vaulted Ceiling living room and dinning room partial ceilings. At this point, my Hipped and Half-Hipped roofs are as low as I can get them. Any suggestions or helps, welcome. Surely someone else has done this assignment. The following montages all have my work on the bottom.

CFE2FrontMontage.jpg

CFE2FloorPlanMontage.jpg

CFE2ElevationMontage.jpg

CFE2ColorPalette.jpg

In my opinion you have done well with the roof. The dormers look good, however, it is very difficult to see them from the side with the picture. It does look to me like the roof of the dormer does not go all the way back into the main roof. Is this true? If so, you really need to have the roof drawn right back into the main roof.

You have interpreted the floor plan slightly different than the original, but it looks good and probably suits your needs better. Overall I think you have done a great job.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • kquinn1990kquinn1990 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited March 2010

merry, magic
    hey here is village manor.

its completed but not uploaded it yet.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/182774.page#2180138
    edited March 2010

merry, magic

edited March 2010

CFE2FrontMontage.jpg

CFE2FloorPlanMontage.jpg

CFE2ElevationMontage.jpg

CFE2ColorPalette.jpg

Hi there

Thank you for the comment on my Build, for the Rec and the Download.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this build so far. I agree with MW in respect of the Dormer roofs. The rest looks fine to me.

Well done and keep up the good work.
    edited March 2010
    kquinn1990 wrote:
    merry, magic

I will be giving this a rec when you upload. It deserves one. It is very well done.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited March 2010
    kquinn1990 wrote:
    merry, magic

Hi there.

I have 2 comments on the interior: The Blue Block like pattern on the bottom half of thee wall in the Lounge seems to be a bit off with the rest. Maybe try wood or just a plain paint.

Then the Chimney in the Bedroom: Build a wall around it to hide it.

Remember this is just my opinion.

Well done and I think you have grown a lot as a Builder and i really see you becoming a very good Builder if not a Great one. You have lots of Potential.

Keep up the hard work and you will reap the rewards.
    edited March 2010
    Happy 400 all.

Thank you to all of you who has made this Thread what it is and to those who stuck with us thru the difficult times and all the new people for joining us. Without you, this thread would never have been what it is today.

Thank you all very much and a Cheers to all of you. :D
    edited March 2010
    hey guys thanks, im having an issue uploading the house for somereason im not sure what it is i cant get the cover shot thing there and i think its something to do with the file size. im not really sure whats going on. and when i save it to to the empty house folder im having this problem that it is going away everytime i try to upload it.??? i dont know what to do.

and also i just got it to the launcher and hit the upload button and it says a message that its illegal ive gotten this before because i did not know how to do it one time and i think it has to do something that its over 5 mb or gb not sure what one. and this is not illegal.

i did it last night,

thats why the title says "almost" lol
  • SammidysamSammidysam Posts: 133
    edited March 2010
    Here is my house, Simple House! Awesome name, huh? I just recently put a ceiling on it. You put floor tiles over the house to make a ceiling, right?
    wmhta1.jpg
    ngzg4p.jpg
    kbpouh.jpg
    2ptchmq.jpg
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited March 2010

Hi Merry, Magician & everybody else,

As always, I would love to know your opinion about my latest build. Here is the link to the thread where the lot was posted:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/182944.page
    edited March 2010
    Sammidysam wrote:
    Here is my house, Simple House! Awesome name, huh? I just recently put a ceiling on it. You put floor tiles over the house to make a ceiling, right?

Yes a Simple House. Yep you are right about the ceiling. The interior is nicely laid out. Are you doing this on a budget? I would love to see curtains in the windows, toilet paper by the toilet, towels by the sink and maybe a rug in front of the tub. Did you decide not to put in a bookshelf? Guess they'll have to go to the library.

Just a side note. If you are taking your pictures in build mode and go into terrain paint the grid lines with not be there. Speaking of terrain paint, are you going to do the landscaping next? Remember terrain paint and ponds are free if you're on a budget. Looking forward to more pictures.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited March 2010
    yanti68 wrote:
    Hi Merry, Magician & everybody else,

As always, I would love to know your opinion about my latest build. Here is the link to the thread where the lot was posted:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/182944.page

My opinion is wow! You have really made the place look very cheery. I've commented on your thread and given you a rec and a download. Great job.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • laurenruth915laurenruth915 Posts: 4,102 New Member
    edited March 2010

Hi Lauren. Well let's see if I can help. I think you need to make the dormer smaller for the size of roof that you have there. Only 1 tile wide would probably work better. As for the roof over the veranda, you will have to temporarily remove the windows and do a roof over the entire first floor. The roof then will have to be made as short as possible and use MOO to replace the windows. The roof on the second floor will make the interior roof on the first floor disappear. At least it should. Give it a try and see how you make out. If you have any questions about this process, please ask.

If you need a tutorial for different roofs slope angles there are a few good ones in the 3rd post on the first page of this thread.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Yeah, thanks the whole roof going inside thing was bugging me, I didn't realize it would go away (or should, according to you) when I completed the roof. Thanks a bunch.
  • SammidysamSammidysam Posts: 133
    edited March 2010
    Sammidysam wrote:

Yes a Simple House. Yep you are right about the ceiling. The interior is nicely laid out. Are you doing this on a budget? I would love to see curtains in the windows, toilet paper by the toilet, towels by the sink and maybe a rug in front of the tub. Did you decide not to put in a bookshelf? Guess they'll have to go to the library.

Just a side note. If you are taking your pictures in build mode and go into terrain paint the grid lines with not be there. Speaking of terrain paint, are you going to do the landscaping next? Remember terrain paint and ponds are free if you're on a budget. Looking forward to more pictures.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    Too bad I moved someone in there already... It only costs around 12,000 (I'll just call it dollars) dollars and I was trying to keep it under 16,000 dollars. I'll just make a copy in the town, then move into it when I'm done. I have toilet paper and a towel rack there already, though it may seem hard to see. I'm not good at landscaping, so I don't think I will landscape at all on this house. Maybe a different one, perhaps.

-Sam
    edited March 2010
    Magic Man and Merrywidow:

I should have uploaded these yesterday. Forgive my delay. I checked and I believe that my dormer roofs are okay. I counted when I made them and on three, it appeared that my roof was being tucked under the main roof.

IMG]Screenshot-002.jpg

Thank you.

edited March 2010
    Somehow my post lost one of the photos. Am trying this again.

Screenshot-001-1.jpg

Screenshot-002.jpg
    edited March 2010
    yanti68
    I checked out your build and gave it a rec. You are a very creative and imaginative builder. Congrats.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top