Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Edit in Game option hangs up?

Every time I try to use the Edit in Game option, it goes to a black screen and hangs up.
The game never loads :(
What am I doing wrong? Anyone else having this problem?
How do I fix this?
Thanks,
Shadowglass

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2010
    Hi, :mrgreen:

Yes, I have to remove the DCBackup and DCCache Folders to be able to run Edit in Game.

Do you have downloads installed or Store stuff?
    Have you waited about 30 minutes the first time for it to load?

I have to remove Riverview from the Downloads and install before I run edit in game but after removing the folders~ I really like Riverview stuff. :D

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/152074.page
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited March 2010
    Also, if you remove your DCCache stuff and it still doesn't load (it should take roughly five minutes with no CC), it may be an issue with your roads. I'm heading off to eat dinner, so search the forum for EIG not loading and such. I've posted the process for checking for road problems in several threads already. :)
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • MeresimPMeresimP Posts: 2,134 Member
    edited March 2010
    I don't know where to put this comment - so I will try here?
    I am having some problems with the Edit in Game and DCCache that I heard many others have too.
    I can't use EIG unless I move the DCCache folder away from C:\Documents \Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 as recommended here
    BUT
    that leaves me with very limited possibilities in the buy and build mode.
    Not only third hand CC disappears - so does all store items
    And the things you use to decorate your houses disappear if you put down a lot from another world in your new CAW project
    An example:
    I build a house in Sunset Valley and wanted to use it on my island and after being put down on the Island in EIG it looked quite different – many things where gone or changed .
    So note:
    You will only be able to upload a world with base game items in buildings
    You can’t use all the houses you have spend time decorating - I can understand it because that way you would give away Store items for free.
    But I only wish they where there to see if people who downloaded your world possessed them - like in TS2
    Any ideas or comments on that?
  • johnscott10johnscott10 Posts: 157 New Member
    edited March 2010
    in regards to the last post, the giving away store items is indeed false

if a user downloads a world with such content then the item will either be replaced with something similar or removed, thats only if u dont remove any files from their correct places.

its the same with WA items, place them on the map and a basegamer downloads it then they will be replaced by something else or removed (bridges being removed iv seen)

im sure i read that on a post about CAW from EA or something or might have been a vid on utube cant remember which
  • JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2010
    MeresimP wrote:
    I don't know where to put this comment - so I will try here?
    I am having some problems with the Edit in Game and DCCache that I heard many others have too.
    I can't use EIG unless I move the DCCache folder away from C:\Documents \Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 as recommended here
    BUT
    that leaves me with very limited possibilities in the buy and build mode.
    Not only third hand CC disappears - so does all store items
    And the things you use to decorate your houses disappear if you put down a lot from another world in your new CAW project
    An example:
    I build a house in Sunset Valley and wanted to use it on my island and after being put down on the Island in EIG it looked quite different – many things where gone or changed .
    So note:
    You will only be able to upload a world with base game items in buildings
    You can’t use all the houses you have spend time decorating - I can understand it because that way you would give away Store items for free.
    But I only wish they where there to see if people who downloaded your world possessed them - like in TS2
    Any ideas or comments on that?
    MeresimP, I know exactly what you mean and it happened to me when I created my world. To hasten the loading of Edit-in-game I moved my DCcache folder and all the houses I`d created in Sunset Valley using store purchased items were gone and replaced with default base game items thus rendering the houses rather odd and (in an aesthetic way, at least to my eye) unattractive.
    I really had to move the DCCache folder else loading would take up to half an hour and working in Build mode in EIG suffered terribly from lag making it impossible to create or work on lots.
    The worst part of it is that upon replacing the DCCache folder to your game the houses in your world still show up with those default base game items. Once my newly created world was installed in my game I had to go through all the lots and houses in my world manually removing the base game lots and replacing them (from my lot library) with the store items purchased lots. A hassle but as far as I know it`s the only way.
    I`m aware that not all people will have the store items or sets you may purchase and upon downloading your world will see the houses and lots you create with store items replaced with default base game items. It`s unfortunate but you really just have to put up with it as it is (at least for now).
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • MeresimPMeresimP Posts: 2,134 Member
    edited March 2010
    Yes Johnywr- that was exactly what I meant.
    I just wished the items would be visible for those who had them in their game

And johnscott10 - I have no idea what you mean about "in regards to the last post, the giving away store items is indeed false " ?? In fact I wrote that if they would come along it would be giving them away - but obviously they don't
  • PrettyBluLuvPrettyBluLuv Posts: 44 New Member
    edited March 2010
    Dang it I just know removing that file and it loading so fast was too good to be true... I wanted a couple of things from Riverview and I can't get them unless I put that file back.... I wish someone would fix that thing because it drove me nuts until reading this I thought the new patch for CAW was what removed the Riverview items...
    edited March 2010
    You can have a separate Sims 3 directory that you use just for building with only Riverview installed. Just rename your Sims 3 directory in My Documents to something else, start up the game and let it generate a new one, then install Riverview again. When you want to play with all your CC, rename the one you're using for building to something like The Sims 3-build and rename the other one back to The Sims 3. I have a minor amount of Sims3Pack format content installed including Riverview, and EIG usually takes under five minutes to load.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2010
    That is one of the reason I don't build with Store stuff. Besides the fact that not everyone has the items and I put the basics for others to add to.

I used to so hate removing all the stuff some people would pack into houses to try and make the look cool. Now I just don't download. :lol:
    edited March 2010
    I know when someone sets out to build a house they have something in mind and it's just my opinion, but way too many of them rely on custom content. When I download houses I'm not looking for houses to play, I'm looking for houses for the Sims I'm not playing. If they don't have the latest and greatest painting on the wall I couldn't care less, and they sure never notice.

The funny thing is, building houses I stick with the same rules and it's made me appreciate custom content less and less. Sometimes I'm looking at something in my game that I wouldn't mind sticking in a house I'm building but I won't do it so I start asking myself why I have it in the first place. I can really only use one household of furniture in each town I'm playing and while I enjoy decorating those houses differently, I don't need 500 different objects for them.

I even downloaded a mod the other day from MTS that puts a little icon on in-game objects just so I can make double-sure not to add CC to anything I build.

For all my grousing about CC in downloaded houses, though, when it comes to finishing The Shire I'll have to use CC or it just won't look right at all.
    Post edited by Unknown User on