Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New World. Ridgestead. In the works. (5 Updates so far)

2...Next

Comments

• BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited February 2010
    I HATE painting, lol
    I don't think you're alone in that. I have a love/hate relationship going on with it. I experiment and I test and I do and I re-do, and I tweak textures so I can get them just the right color and that usually results in having to change at least three other textures because then they don't match or look wrong and on it goes. Then when I find a setting that works really well for something I don't just save that brush, I write it down so I can remember what it was I used that setting on. I also hated childbirth, but in the end it was worth it. :lol:

That is just a tough, tough decision on which color looks best. It's also one that probably can't be made with that close of a picture. Granted, it has to look right close-up, but I think it's easier to gauge color from a distant view, like what we see in map view.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • KidVicious359KidVicious359 Posts: 841 Member
    edited February 2010
    Well so far, I'm thinking I do not like the browns at all. Maybe i'll throw a tiny TINY bit of brown in as dirt spots, but thats all. I guess I'll go with a lighter granite color. =P

Hopefully the paint doesn't take forever this time. lol
    I feel like absolute crap today, so idk whether I will work
    on it today or not.
    zv7sly.jpg
    Twitch.tv/MirPanda33 .... Etsy.com/shop/MHillCrafts ... Come say hi!
  • NukapeiNukapei Posts: 88 New Member
    edited February 2010
    KidVicious, I absolutely adore your new world! It's a nice idea, and I can't wait to see the finished product.

That being said, I think you're kind of going the wrong way with the mountains. I don't know how "realistic" of a look you're going for, but here's the thing: trees don't grow very well at all on rock. So when you look at a mountain, it's either going to be dirt-covered with trees, or rocky without trees. Or some combination of the two. I can't tell how high your mountains are, because all you've given us is views straight down on your map, but if you'd like some variety and your mountains are high enough, you might try having a dirt-covered base and then the rock juts out from there, and maybe even have the very tops snow-covered. Like url=http://www.softpedia.com/screenshots/Mountain-Lake-Animated-ScreenSaver_1.jpg]this[/url.

Also, because I already have it up, url=http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=385025]here's[/url the link to Martine's extracted textures. Like Regina said, they're a huge help.

Another thing ... I love your screenshot in your signature, and would love to see your completed world! What a lot of people have been doing is uploading them to third-party websites, like url=http://www.mediafire.com/]MediaFire[/url and url=http://www.megaupload.com/?]Megaupload.com[/url.
  • onmyown1986onmyown1986 Posts: 149 Member
    edited February 2010
    trees don't grow very well at all on rock

You are so right! Nearly every world has rocky mountains covered with trees, and I never noticed it.
    edited February 2010
    Which is exactly why people should spend thirty minutes or so doing web searches for images of what they're trying to re-create.

I have over sixty images saved to my hard-drive for my main world. Whenever I lose my way I pull one up and take another look at it. In the end my world won't look like any of the screenshots as I tend to end up with a few creative twists on things, but the terrains should be plausible.

I hope you're feeling better soon, Kid!
    edited February 2010
    I hate painting.
    CAW is frustrating.

lol Sorry, my feeling bad automatically
    comes with me being in a bad mood.

The fact that nothing in my Etsy shop
    has sold or been noticed doesn't help
    much either. =P See, I am VERY into
    art & crafting, and my town sucks if
    you're into that. There are NO craft
    fairs, or conventions, or museums, or
    anything around here....

I just get really annoyed when I spend
    soo much time on my jewelry, drawings,
    photography, etc.. and no one is interested.

Oh the pain of being an artist! *sigh*
    (haha just kidding ^_~)

But anyway... I am currently deleting a
    whole lot of trees from the tippy tops
    of my mountains. Then I'll go over the
    terrain coloring again. =]
    zv7sly.jpg
    edited February 2010
    bevqcm.jpg

Trees went bye bye.
    I made the mountains taller.
    This is a view from the valley floor..

I do NOT want to use snow terrain at all.
    Until they decide to put seasons back in
    the game, I am not going to do it. By then
    I probably wont have to anyways because the
    snow will cover the mountains by itself.
    **I hate snow, and hate cold, that is why I
    don't want it in my world**

I am going to go ahead with the granite color
    rock for the mountains, since I think the
    brown doesn't look good at all. Looks more
    like a lot of dirt than rock terrain.
    zv7sly.jpg
  • GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited February 2010
    waiom9.jpg

NEED HELP!

I can not decide on a mountain color..

What do you all think would look best??

Maybe paint with all the grays so it's not just one solid color. It will add some depth.
    edited February 2010
    The fact that nothing in my Etsy shop
    has sold or been noticed doesn't help
    much either.
    Right now is a bad time to be trying to sell frivolous items. A ton of people just don't have the money to spend. Before Christmas I made a budget. I had some choice websites from which to shop and I was astounded at how much I managed to buy for the amount of money I had to spend. The lower the demand, the lower the prices go which was good for me because I actually had some money to spend, but it's not good for people who are trying to sell the stuff.

I won't have my feelings hurt if you don't put snow on your mountain tops. Most mountains don't have show twelve months out of the year. That's one thing I like about Sims without weather. The weather in Seasons ruined a lot of the game play for me and actually put me off playing the game for a long, long time. It wasn't until about a year later that I decided to play again and found that Squinge had been back to modding and had managed to kill all the side effects of the weather. I didn't mind having the different weather so much, I just minded the effects it had on my Sims' lives. I had so much fun with OFB having my Sims run businesses and usually had a nursery business in my neighborhood. When the weather came along that totally killed the nursery business. It also killed the Mashuga's outdoor hot tub venue business as well.

Anyway, I see mountains with snow on them for close to six months out of the year (at least when I can see the mountains--can't see them so well from my house). I don't need to see that in my Sims game all the time, either. Of course most of the time in play mode you're not going to see it, but it's still there when going into map view.
    edited February 2010
    Well it isn't so much the selling as it is the noticing.
    This town wouldn't know art if it smacked them in the
    back of the head.. But hey, I'm just venting. lol

The last and ONLY craft fair was in December, and it went
    okay. It was only 20 bucks for 4 days. (two weekends) My
    sister and I went and sold a few things. Made about $70
    bucks or so. I would LOVE to go to it again, but the idiots
    in charge of the fair for spring are expecting people around
    here to pay up to 1000+ bucks for 4 days, for a table / tent.

How do they get off going from TWENTY to a THOUSAND.??!

Makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, but hey, maybe
    that is why I'm not in charge of a craft fair. =P

Yeah, seasons was fun, except for when my house would catch on
    fire from lightning, or when my sims got electrocuted. I always
    hated when my garden would get ruined too. That was the worst.
    Maybe if they make seasons for The Sims 3, they'll tone it down
    a little bit. I mean really, how many people, in one neighborhood,
    get there houses burnt down from lightning? It happened almost
    all of them time in my game lol.
    zv7sly.jpg
    edited February 2010
    I actually really liked Seasons for TS2, because it really made gameplay much more dynamic in my opinion. The weather changed from day to day, and it would affect your Sims' lives. Plus, I liked watching the weather channel -- the popups were HILARIOUS. Then, again, I wasn't really big into gardening in TS2 (which is funny, because I'm obsessed with gardening in TS3, and my Sims always have huge gardens, and actually my current Sim is working on a lifetime want to have the perfect garden). Probably because it didn't have as much practical application as in TS3 -- I grow a lettuce plant, then my Sim takes the lettuce harvested from that plant and makes a salad out of it, or pancakes out of apples, etc. And what gardening I did do involved a greenhouse ... :D

I like your Etsy page, will definitely have to pick up some of those cute earrings next payday. :D

And I can't wait to see your mountains after you put vegetation on them! I like the shape you have going here, reminds me of the Rockies.
    edited February 2010
    Then, again, I wasn't really big into gardening in TS2 (which is funny, because I'm obsessed with gardening in TS3, and my Sims always have huge gardens, and actually my current Sim is working on a lifetime want to have the perfect garden). Probably because it didn't have as much practical application as in TS3 -- I grow a lettuce plant, then my Sim takes the lettuce harvested from that plant and makes a salad out of it, or pancakes out of apples, etc.
    The whole gardening set-up in TS3 is so much more sensible than it was in TS2. I'd send my Sim to tend their garden first thing, then have them go about their other stuff when all of a sudden their garden was at risk of dying and needed tending again. It was ridiculous and nearly impossible to take care of without mods or a greenhouse.

Kid, you must have had some vicious lightning storms! My Sims only ever had trees catch on fire and those promptly went out. I felt like the side effects from the weather (getting too hot or too cold) made my Sims too house-bound. I'd have one Sim outside trying to dig up stuff and before long he's about to have a heat stroke. Of course the shower didn't have anything but hot water (until I got a mod). It was just too much like my life where I can't go outside in the summer and do what I want because I get sick from the heat. Back in the day when I was healthy as a horse I could work all day in 100F degree temperatures just by grabbing a hose (our well water is tepid, not cold) and wetting down my hair and shirt. When I got done I'd come in the house and take a cool shower.

I am hoping that since they made gardening a lot more sensible in TS3 they will make weather more sensible as well. I'm afraid it'll be another expansion pack I'll be thinking hard whether or not to buy.
    edited February 2010
    BSIRegina wrote:
    Kid, you must have had some vicious lightning storms! My Sims only ever had trees catch on fire and those promptly went out.

That's exactly what happened with my game -- lighting always came with rain, which promptly put out the fire. It got to the point where if a tree got struck by lightning, I would shrug and go about whatever it was I was doing, because I knew that it would be out within a few short minutes. That's assuming I hadn't previously purchased a lightning rod ...
    BSIRegina wrote:
    I felt like the side effects from the weather (getting too hot or too cold) made my Sims too house-bound. I'd have one Sim outside trying to dig up stuff and before long he's about to have a heat stroke. Of course the shower didn't have anything but hot water (until I got a mod). It was just too much like my life where I can't go outside in the summer and do what I want because I get sick from the heat. Back in the day when I was healthy as a horse I could work all day in 100F degree temperatures just by grabbing a hose (our well water is tepid, not cold) and wetting down my hair and shirt. When I got done I'd come in the house and take a cool shower.

I am hoping that since they made gardening a lot more sensible in TS3 they will make weather more sensible as well. I'm afraid it'll be another expansion pack I'll be thinking hard whether or not to buy.

I never had that problem. Then, again, unless they were sunning themselves by the pool, my Sims didn't do too much outside during the summertime. Most of the time, my Sims were (purposefully) into indoor activities -- with the Hobbies EP (which, rumor has it, will be the next TS3 EP) my Sims were always really heavy into music and dance, and always played the violin obsessively. Or danced. Or cooked. Or raised other skills via the TV/bookshelf/computer. I guess this is just a really good example of how different people play the game differently, and IMO it's really great that we have a game that's so flexible that different people can explore different facets of it and still be "satisfied".

Kid, I brought a few of your earrings. They're adorable! And exactly what I've been looking for! :D Thanks for drawing attention to your Etsy shop; saved me a trip to the store.
    edited February 2010
    Thank you soo much Nukapei!! lol I just saw that you did on my etsy shop.
    I have to go to my bank first thing tomorrow and get my account# so PayPal
    can do all that confirmation stuff, then I will send them out to you. xD
    I'm glad you liked them!! I actually have a LOT more sitting at my crafting
    table, (at least 30 pairs) along with some other goodies. I should have a lot more items up by the end of March.

BSIRegina -

Well your sims were luckier than mine! lol Lightning hated my sims.
    And heat, I just dont like the heat. I mean, I'm all happy for summer and whatnot, (my sims always were too) but it has gotten up to 117 degrees here
    before. lol Oh, and ya know, I've actually never had a sunburnt sim. Almost always got one that froze outside, but never sun burned. haha And yes, gardening
    on TS3 is sooo much easier. That is why I actually like doing it. Hoping the weather will be just as easy haha

On to Ridgestead!!

I haven't got to update one gosh darn stinkin' thing on my world at ALL.
    Reason - My boyfriend and his little brother play this game called Aion and Friday was the start of the "double XP" weekend. So they have had the computer. lol
    Hopefully after Monday I'll get to work on it more, since it ends Monday morning.

BTW - Hope you all are having a good weekend!! I'm going to go take my dogs on a walk later, then me & my boyfriend are going to go look for a hamster. lol
    zv7sly.jpg
    edited March 2010
    - Okay so more errands for me today lol

I have to get off this darn computer and go take a shower & get ready..
    Then I've gotta do laundry, go to the bank, go to the gym, go by my insurence
    place, go to petco, mail off your earrings, email this guy back about a craft
    show in May and a job in April, and then... I think that is it. Hopefully. lol
    Was going to take the dogs for a walk, but I'm almost 100% sure it's going to
    rain soon. =P

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get around to updating Ridgestead today.
    zv7sly.jpg
    edited March 2010
    FINALLY, THE FORUM IS WORKING AGAIN!!!

Sorry to spam your page, KidVicious, but I wanted to tell you that I got your earrings a few days ago, and they're beautiful! I already have had occasion to wear one pair, and got compliments on them.
    edited March 2010
    YAY FORUMS!!! TOOK LONG ENOUGH!!!
    haha YAY AGAIN! I'm glad you like them Nukapei!!
    & that makes me happy that you got compliments on them! lol
    =D

I actually just made 10 new pairs on earring and two new necklaces.
    I can't put them up yet though because I have to put money
    in my bank account first.

The weather is getting a lot warmer here now too, so I'll be
    able to work on my resin jewelry soon. xD

Onto Ridgestead news -

Got my trees and terrain done! Got a few community lots put in!
    I have to put some decorative items in, (lights and signs) then
    finish off the rest off the community places, and add a few houses.
    I built my lake side cabin, but that's all I have done house wise.
    zv7sly.jpg
    edited March 2010
    It sounds like you're making good progress!
  • goligy08goligy08 Posts: 277 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Nice little world you have yourself here great work

BSIRegina - Could you plz have a look at this post i found on the forums soemone needs help with terrian paint so i suggested you where the only person for the job

[url] http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/186712.page#2233051 [/url]