Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Victorian Bay 2.0: it is what it is

Comments

• NukapeiNukapei Posts: 88 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Mom50409 wrote:
    Someone (I couldn't find the message) found the 'work around' for the Save bug. I wanted to confirm that it worked for me too. When you play Victorian Bay 2.0 you can save if you send a Sim to travel. You can save the game in the travel city and then go back to it later!

I tried this, and it actually didn't work for me. Oh, I could save it in Shang Simla (the world my Sim went to) and it worked just completely fine and normal. But the second I came home and saved it, I was having the same problems as before. And it's just not possible to always be away traveling when it comes time to quit the game. If you're always away, when will you enjoy the neighborhood? Might as well play Sunset Valley or Riverview, and save myself the trouble.
    I had just 2 families as saved games. One in Sunset Valley and the other in Victorian Bay.
    As i said yerlier, the family from Sunset Valley was transparent. And I couldn't choose that family to play (on the screen with saved games that comes up right after the 1 loading when you start Sims 3).
    Then I selected the other family in Sunset Valley and pressed "delete" button and deleted tthis family completed. After that, the family in Victorian Bay appeared automatically on the screen automatically (cause I had just 2 families). The house where they live was still transparent, but I could still press "ok" button to load the game.

This is the method that works for me. It's a little cumbersome at times, but I don't mind if it means I get to play this beautiful world! :D What you do is this (assuming you have a previous saved version of VB that won't let you back in):

1) Start the game.
    2) The game will force you to create a new game. Do so.
    3) Go into that new game, and immediately hit the options button and select "Main Menu". It will prompt you whether or not you want to save. Do so.
    4) You'll now be taken back to the main menu, where you now have two games: your new game and your VB game. The new game will automatically be selected. Delete it.
    5) Now the game will select your VB game. Hit the check mark just like you would normally, and it'll load your VB game!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2010
    I took it out and just decided I'd wait until hopefully Ruthless gets it fixed. Work a rounds sometimes only work for so long then they cause trouble with the Sims 3. It's way too picky, so to keep from making the whole game wonky I will wait. I have 15 other worlds I play anyway and I am not about to delete them for just one world no matter how pretty it is.

I just feel awful for Ruthless - being such a kind person and having so much trouble just doesn't seem fair. I do hope she gets things sorted and not just because I want her wonderful world fixed. I want to see Ruthless able to use her pc again. She's so talented, it's just not right.

I will be most happy to see Ruth back here posting for herself, and when and if she gets her world fixed I will enjoy having it back - but for now we all should just be hoping Ruthless can get her pc up and running again.

I for one wonder what caused her pc to bite the dust. Makes me a bit leary to even want to try the CAW tool if that is what caused the problem. I just had this system built the end of May, and I surely don't want to have to invest money into it that I defintely do not have right now. So I am waiting to try the CAW tool myself until Ruthless lets us know what killed her pc.

A bit scary to say the least.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited February 2010
    Hi all! :D

I have a working computer again...I had to have a new hard drive and graphics card installed. Thank goodness for extended warranty plans and a husband who buys them. I am installing Sims3 right now so hopefully I will be up and running very very soon.

I do not know what made my computer die. I dont think it had anythng to do with the game...I think the problem with my hard drive just made it impossible to reinstall. Since I did have to get a new hard drive, I have no CAW at the moment and that means to correct Vic Bay, I would have to build it from scratch. Oh what a daunting idea! If the work around for the save issue seems to be working...and thank you for all the clever people who figured that out!....perhaps you all can still use the current version while I work up the courage to dive in again and redo the thing. I so wanted a flawless...or as close to possible....version of this world. So I am not giving up just yet.

I want to take a moment to thank everyone for the kindess and understanding and encouragement you have been showing me as I have been dealing with all of this. Words cannot express how grateful I am to be a member of such a warm and wonderful community. :):):)

• Diskette66Diskette66 Posts: 842 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Welcome back, Ruth! Glad to hear you have your computer running again... great to see you back :)
  • SkewedReality04SkewedReality04 Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited February 2010
    YAY!!!!! I am so glad you are back. I would check this thread everyday to see how things were going!!! I just wanted to say thanks for all the wonderful houses you have made, they are all I use!!! I am only patched up to 1.7 I believe because I don't want to risk using the other patches, especially the ones that take away all of the store content that I have, and I have all of it, so I am not able to play your world. However I am still a huge fan, welcome back!!!!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2010
    YAY!!! Ruth is back. So glad to see you're back in business Ruthless. I would go nuts without my pc - so it's really wonderful you are back.

As nice as Victoria Bay is, I wouldn't fret about feeling obligated to dive right back in and fix it, especially if you have to do the whole thing over again. Enjoy just having the pc and game back. You deserve it. You are good enough when you do get the overwhelmong desire to dig back into creating without it being a chore forced on you,I'm sure things will go much smoother and happier. If people can't understand, then too bad for them. You are a top creator here Ruth and anything you make is worth a wait.

Anyway, so glad to see you back and running again. Now I feel better.

Even if I had kept the world and had tried the work around I know I would not have enjoyed it knowing you couldn't even use your pc. It's just the kind of person I am I guess.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• vanilijavanilija Posts: 3,411 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I'm downloading right now. Sooo excited. It looks great! :)
    Thank you for your hard work.
    Rec'd your story :)
  • Mom50409Mom50409 Posts: 95 Member
    edited February 2010
    Welcome back Ruthless!! Like Skewed, I have checked this frequently awaiting your return. Sometimes a new start can be a good thing. (I always try to look on the positive side :wink: ) At least you can download your own creations! I am looking forward to whatever you create. I have downloaded and enjoyed many of your houses and even created a family using your Ruthy Ruth! I hope you don't mind! I love Victorian homes in real life and never will be able to live in one for real, so my little friends will have to life that life for me. Glad to have you back!!! :-)
    edited February 2010
    FOUND A WAY TO RECOVER YOUR OLD NON-USABLE SAVES - YAY!!! :D

Personally, I think this is easiest of all methods as you can then save your game normally and don't have to mess with removing other world files. In the end, all that will be required is overwriting ONE file before each play session.

**Before doing this, make a full copy of your old unusable saved game and put it aside somewhere. While I never had any problems using this method, it is always a smart move to back up your files.

PREFERRED method:
    1. Start a "new game" of Victorian Bay 2.0.
    2. Create one sim (you won't be keeping him so don't spend too much time)
    3. Use "motherlode" cheat and immediately send him on vacation (anywhere)
    4. The minute the vacation area loads. Save and then exit the game.
    5. Go into your "saves" folder (in My Documents) and open the save folder you just created. Make a copy of the file called Meta.data. Save it to your desktop as you will need it each time you want to play Victorian Bay.
    6. Locate your previously unusable Victorian Bay saved game. Open the folder and overwrite the old Meta.data file with the new one that you copied.
    7. Load the game and have fun playing!

NOTES: (Two things)
    1. When your game is loading, you are going to see the name of that dummy sim you created, don't worry about it, once the hood fully loads, it will be as if he never existed. Only your recovered saved game data will be there as normal - just like you want it to be.
    2. Each new time you save, it will still appear grayed out in your "Main Menu" - but no worries, next time you are ready to play, just overwrite that same Meta.data file and you will be good to go.

I tested this with about 20 various "grayed out" saved games and it worked each and every time flawlessly. Your old save games will still contain everything they had before - your sims do not lose relationships, skills, jobs, lifetime happiness, inventory, etc - everything will be exactly how you left it.

I also tested with adding additional skills and other changes then saving and using the Meta.data replacement on the new saves - everything was retained by the game without issue.

If you don't have a previously unusable saved game, you can start a new game, knowing that you will be able to play them by simply replacing the Meta.data file before each play session.

NOTE: You CAN simply use another world's Meta.data file and it does work. However, I feel less comfortable merging two different world's data so that's why I recommend going the vacation save route to generate a new Meta.data file specific to Victorian Bay and using that one.

For info, It seems that the minimum number of files created during a save game are:

Neighborhood file (this records the current state of the map, including who lives there - do NOT replace this or you will lose your families!)
    Traveldb file (this seems to record your overall hood progress in the vacation areas - not necessary to replace)
    random letters file - I believe THIS is the file that maintains your actual sim data for each save - never overwrite this file.
    Meta.data file (this seems to be the general game info, exp packs, patches applied, etc)
  • NukapeiNukapei Posts: 88 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Diskette66 wrote:

Thanks so much for the info, Diskette! The other way was rather cumbersome; your method I think will be far easier! :D
  • Mom50409Mom50409 Posts: 95 Member
    edited February 2010
    FOUND A WAY TO RECOVER YOUR OLD NON-USABLE SAVES - YAY!!!
    Diskette 66 thanks!! I can report that this is a more efficient method to save the game and it works!! :-)
  • orangeplumboborangeplumbob Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited February 2010
    Diskette 66 Thank you so much I was going completely crazy!!! After your work around I can get back to my new legacy. I really wanted to do a Legacy with this town, Ruthless your place is just pure gorgeous and I even put my restaurant I made that looks victorian and it looks more beautiful in your town than it did in Sunset Valley.
  • shipofsimsshipofsims Posts: 905 Member
    edited March 2010
    Thank you Diskette!
    Your way is much easier, I love this world.
  • MATZMATZ Posts: 1,854 New Member
    edited March 2010
    nice :)
  • DaSereneJediDaSereneJedi Posts: 24 New Member
    edited March 2010
    I have to try this workaround just in case I encounter another world that has the same problem!
  • MASONDMASOND Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Can you pleasetell me howto download Vctorian Bay, the pics look awesme and I really wanna play it.
    edited March 2010
    Diskette66 wrote:

If you don't have a previously unusable saved game, you can start a new game, knowing that you will be able to play them by simply replacing the Meta.data file before each play session.

This prompted me to do some further testing because my saved game was deleted when I uninstalled the world. I created a randomly generated Sim named Theresa Green and moved her into the world. I gave her the Photographers Eye and Artistic traits, which gave her the Visionary Lifetime Want. I moved her in, built up her cooking and charisma skills then granted her wish to go to Egypt. I saved the game as soon as she landed in Egypt and went to the main menu.

I repeated this process, only this time I didn't send here on vacation and saved the game while she was in the Victorian Bay home world.

The game file that I saved in the Victorian Bay home world was greyed out and unusable. The game file that I saved while on vacation in Egypt worked flawlessly the next time I restarted the game. So there is no need to manually keep copying across the old Meta.data file before each play session. Simply save the game while in the vacation world and then quit the game.

Give your Sims one of the traits from World Adventures such as Adventurous, Disciplined, or Photographers Eye which will encourage the Sims to travel frequently to the vacation worlds. Once all the tombs in all the hoods have been unlocked and looted, keep sending the next generation of Sims to China to learn the Martial Arts skill and have them compete in tournaments. Or send them to France for one day to learn the Nectar Making skill. Or even have them complete the career or skilling opportunities that send your Sims to the vacation worlds.

Just remember to keep saving the game as soon as they land in the vacation hoods.
  • Grranet31Grranet31 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited March 2010
    Ok first let me start out by saying I love this world Ruthless! My love for this world is what prompted me to want to play it despite running across the same problem I now see many others had, I couldn't load a save file due to expansion LOL. If any one else has posted this same fix I apologize for repeating it.

Well after many hours I have found a way to permanently fix this. PLEASE continue to read this before going to the steps. It will require some renaming of files, which if you do not know how to do can be very dangerous for your computer's health. So please don't attempt if you think you might mess something up. Also before I begin I wish to explain that when naming a file putting any extra (.) in a name is never a good thing and that my friends is what was wrong with Victorian Bay 2.0. Silly computers thinks its a version .0.world. Now for the fix

Step 1: Download the world if you haven't already
    Step 2: If the world automaticly installs UNISTALL it, file should still be on
    the download page of your launcher.
    Step 3: Click on the file from download tab so that it is check marked.
    Step 4: Click on show file from same tab, on the bottom right.
    Step 5: Windows explorer should open with Victorian Bay 2.0 highlighted, if not
    highlight the file, right click and choose rename file.
    Step 6: Rename without 2.0 in the name. I chose Victorian Bay. Then hit enter.
    Step 7: Now on the same file double click, the Launcher should begin its work,
    let it do so until its says file installed.
    Step 8: Now open windows explorer or your search program, and search for all
    files in C: (your computers main hard drive) that have Victorian Bay in
    the name. Several should pop up. The 2 files you need to rename are:
    Victorian Bay 2.0_objects.package
    Victorian Bay 2.0_sims.package
    Now rick click on each file (one at a time)and rename them to read as
    follows.
    Victorian Bay_objects.package
    Victorian Bay_sims.package
    YAY! you are now done with the hard part.
    Step 9: Close all the windows you opened earlier.
    Step 10: Start your launcher as you normally would.
    Step 11: Start a new game in Victorian Bay (may still read 2.0 that's OK)
    Step 12: Play, save and return to main menu. Your game file should now be usable!

I play tested, I guess you could say, by traveling, working, visiting, calling, you know all the good stuff. No matter how many times I played or with what character my file was always available to play when I wanted to. I would love to know if anyone else uses my method of a fix if it works for them as well. I hope it does because the world Ruthless created was well worth the hours it took me to figure out a permanent fix for me at least. :D Happy simming everyone!

~Net
  • shipofsimsshipofsims Posts: 905 Member
    edited March 2010
    Oh, how clever of you!
    Gonna try it out.
  • ucareeucaree Posts: 281 New Member
    edited March 2010
    Grranet31 wrote:
    Ok first let me start out by saying I love this world Ruthless! My love for this world is what prompted me to want to play it despite running across the same problem I now see many others had, I couldn't load a save file due to expansion LOL. If any one else has posted this same fix I apologize for repeating it.

Well after many hours I have found a way to permanently fix this. PLEASE continue to read this before going to the steps. It will require some renaming of files, which if you do not know how to do can be very dangerous for your computer's health. So please don't attempt if you think you might mess something up. Also before I begin I wish to explain that when naming a file putting any extra (.) in a name is never a good thing and that my friends is what was wrong with Victorian Bay 2.0. Silly computers thinks its a version .0.world. Now for the fix

Step 1: Download the world if you haven't already
    Step 2: If the world automaticly installs UNISTALL it, file should still be on
    the download page of your launcher.
    Step 3: Click on the file from download tab so that it is check marked.
    Step 4: Click on show file from same tab, on the bottom right.
    Step 5: Windows explorer should open with Victorian Bay 2.0 highlighted, if not
    highlight the file, right click and choose rename file.
    Step 6: Rename without 2.0 in the name. I chose Victorian Bay. Then hit enter.
    Step 7: Now on the same file double click, the Launcher should begin its work,
    let it do so until its says file installed.
    Step 8: Now open windows explorer or your search program, and search for all
    files in C: (your computers main hard drive) that have Victorian Bay in
    the name. Several should pop up. The 2 files you need to rename are:
    Victorian Bay 2.0_objects.package
    Victorian Bay 2.0_sims.package
    Now rick click on each file (one at a time)and rename them to read as
    follows.
    Victorian Bay_objects.package
    Victorian Bay_sims.package
    YAY! you are now done with the hard part.
    Step 9: Close all the windows you opened earlier.
    Step 10: Start your launcher as you normally would.
    Step 11: Start a new game in Victorian Bay (may still read 2.0 that's OK)
    Step 12: Play, save and return to main menu. Your game file should now be usable!

I play tested, I guess you could say, by traveling, working, visiting, calling, you know all the good stuff. No matter how many times I played or with what character my file was always available to play when I wanted to. I would love to know if anyone else uses my method of a fix if it works for them as well. I hope it does because the world Ruthless created was well worth the hours it took me to figure out a permanent fix for me at least. :D Happy simming everyone!

~Net

I just tried this and it worked! Thank you so much!! I really love this world and was so disappointed when I couldn't reload any of my saved games.
  • DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    edited March 2010
    This works like a charm. It's so nice to finally be able to play and save as in all other installed worlds.
    edited March 2010
    Grranet31 wrote:
    Also before I begin I wish to explain that when naming a file putting any extra (.) in a name is never a good thing and that my friends is what was wrong with Victorian Bay 2.0. Silly computers thinks its a version .0.world.!
    ~Net

You're definitely onto something here. I tried your procedure on Victorian Bay and it worked like a charm.

I also tried the procedure on Mountain Ridge. The world file had been saved as and would install itself as Mountain Ridge-Base game and up! 2.0.Sims3Pack. When I saved and tried to continue to use the game in the Mountain Ridge Home World, the saved file was greyed out and unusable. I got the following message: "Cannot load this save game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system." I tried your procedure and renamed the world file to Mountain Ridge-Base game and up.Sims3Pack. It too worked like a charm and I was also able to play and save in this world as in all other installed worlds.

Thank you very much for posting this!
  • Grranet31Grranet31 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited March 2010
    I am so very happy that my fix has worked for some people! I was really nervous about posting it, because I wasn't sure if I would be breaking any forum guide lines. That and usually I just read forums and don't post hehe, but I am glad I did this time. I couldn't stand the idea of peoples hard work going down the drain when it was able to be fixed. Thanks everyone for letting me know that it worked!

:) :-) :D

~Net
    edited March 2010
    I kept trying and trying and could not get this to work but finally just did. I wanted to mention that I had to also go into "Installed Worlds" and change the file to Victorian Bay.world there also, losing the 2.0 part. After that final step, it worked for me also :D
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited March 2010
    Strange, I tried half a dozen or so times yesterday, even renaming the World File, but it simply refused to work for me.
    Bummer.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding