Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Shire: There's an update, 29 August, 2011

Because of time limitations all updates will be posted in a thread at Custom Sims 3. You can find that thread here.

To start:

- Requirements: World Adventures & Ambitions (please see added note below). (Also Supernatural, once we hit build phase.)
- Large Map
- Land-locked World

- Number of Lots: To be determined
- Rabbitholes: What I can work into the Shire with Jynx's rabbit hole rugs will be included, otherwise no (ie: no school, no stadium, no military; will definitely include a City Hall type building, inns as diners, etc.)
- Release a build template? Most likely in case anyone wants the world but without the Hobbity touch.
- Release World Save Files? Quite probably in case people would prefer to flatten the ground where lots are located, or to move the lot positions, etc.
- Textures: Many custom and customized textures are being used.

**NOTE about expansion packs: Originally I had planned on building the Shire to be base game compatible. Over the past several months I have barely had time to open C-A-W, much less work on my world projects. I have come to the decision that I am only going to be able to complete one version of this world and since it won't be as perfect as I can possibly make it without expansion pack objects I've decided to use objects from both World Adventures and Ambitions. I apologize to anyone who has been waiting on this for base game only.

My "main" world project started as a small seed as soon as I heard C-A-W would be released to the public. Once a date was announced I went to work gathering reference pictures of English countryside, downs, chalk cliffs, and just about everything else I could think of that belonged in The Shire.

Long before I read "The Hobbit" and long before I saw "Lord of the Rings" did I know of the Hobbits in the Shire. I can't remember when I heard about them--maybe I saw a cartoon as a child or maybe someone who had read the book told me about them. At any rate, it's always been the type of place I have felt myself drawn to. Naturally, I blame that on my British ancestry. There isn't any part of Great Britain that wasn't home to one of my ancestors, the The Shire was definitely designed after the beautiful English countryside.

I've edited to get rid of the original pictures but am including an updated overview:
Shire-Overview-06.jpg
Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)

Comments

• addverbaddverb Posts: 53 New Member
    edited February 2010
    This looks awsome! I love the white cliffs!

How did you build that bridge without WA? It looks like it would work, but I have no idea how you did it!
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited February 2010
    Thank you! That is actually one of the easier things I have done to that map. :lol:

Make land cutting across the water. It works best if it's on the straight of the grid. Since this is an old-style village type of setting, I put together a wood texture for the wooden bridge and created a custom road. Just pull the custom road across the "bridge" and connect it to the main roads.

I decided since they were wooden bridges they could have some sway in the center so I took the gentle valley tool and set it much larger than the bridge, then ran a valley across the center of the bridge. After that use a combination of the gentle flatten and gentle smooth to give the bridge the right slope.

The center top of the road should be as close to the water as possible (no high bridges, unfortunately).

After the bridge was all shaped I used my waterfall base texture to paint the side of the land under the bridge. The sides of the bridge are made with the rail fencing.

I uploaded that waterfall base texture to my website last week with some of my other textures. The link is in my signature.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,991 Member
    edited February 2010
    BSIRegina,

That map of yours looks great so far. Maybe you could post some more pictures when you're finished with some of the buildings.
  • GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited February 2010
    Regina they don't call you a goddess for nothing! :D

Looks great so far and I have to agree with the whole countryside thing. City life ain't for me.
    edited February 2010
    Thanks, guys!

Damien, when I get that far I will. That will be a while, though. I still have a ton of terrain painting and a few other things to do first.
  • GrilledCheeseGrilledCheese Posts: 1,089 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Wow, its beautiful. Well done, the last picture reminds me of France in WA!
  • ClawswpClawswp Posts: 470 New Member
    edited February 2010
    awww wow it looks lovely and the lanscaping looks fantastic i'm not sure what white cliffs are like close up ive only seen then from a distance but what you have looks good. i really like the mountains and the bridge is awesome. It all seems really lovely! :) It will be great to download the completed world.
  • diestlerdiestler Posts: 455 Member
    edited February 2010
    Wow Regina...That is just Amazing! It looks so realistic, I can imagine dust flying up off the road! What I like the most is everything! You have really done a fantastic job!
  • cccccccccccc Posts: 707 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Best world Ive seen ! XD
    I could just imagine my Sims living on a chalky-white cliff xD

And the waterfalls, oh oh oh the waterfalls :D
  • rae92rae92 Posts: 215 Member
    edited February 2010
    Wow this looks beautiful!

I'm really getting into country Worlds with farms and such these days so I'm very excited for this! :D Keep us posted and can't wait to see the finished result!

• Jackque17Jackque17 Posts: 103 New Member
    edited February 2010
    You know, I've never seen white chalk cliffs before. Wow, those beautifully sculpted cliffs of yours are the probably the coolest things I've seen in a while. Awesome! I knew you weren't all talk!! :lol: Oh and that pic of the river was just beautiful. Very good looking river! I bet that had to take some time. Just wanted to say what you've done so far looks awesome!
    edited February 2010
    Oh, wow! I am totally gob-smacked by all the great comments here.
    Best world Ive seen ! XD
    I could just imagine my Sims living on a chalky-white cliff xD

And the waterfalls, oh oh oh the waterfalls
    Are you serious? I've seen some absolutely great worlds here--not a ton of them, but some that are really outstanding. This leaves me a lot to live up to with the rest of the world, but then again I knew from the outset that I have much to live up to with this world if I want it to be good.

The waterfall has one more short level that can't be seen in the image. I had the choice of either zooming in on the waterfall or getting some of the mountains. :lol:
    It looks so realistic, I can imagine dust flying up off the road!
    That is good to know! I am still not 100% sure if I will stick with the current color of the road or darken it up a bit. I did spend a good part of my life in an area with a lot of dirt roads but trying to recreate realistic dirt roads in C-A-W is a bit of a trick. Dirt roads don't have sidewalks, for one thing. :lol:
    i'm not sure what white cliffs are like close up ive only seen then from a distance but what you have looks good.
    Having someone comment who has seen the real thing, even from a distance, is very reassuring. I can save pictures and use them for reference until the cows come home, but in the end I can never reproduce something exactly as I see it. There is always going to be a bit of whimsy or creativity that goes into it that the real thing doesn't have. I feel like that with the chalk cliffs. I know it will help when they have some foliage added, but of course it won't be very visible without being fairly close to them.
    I could just imagine my Sims living on a chalky-white cliff
    There will be housing near the cliffs. It may mean that the ocean behind the hills there will be slightly visible from in-game. The way the original map laid I couldn't scrunch it any more and have enough room to build properly. I checked my camera routing in-game the other day and have been able to fix most of the issues with it.
    I'm really getting into country Worlds with farms and such these days so I'm very excited for this!
    As I said, I love the country. I don't much care for the country represented in "Country Life" magazines and such, but instead what it's really like. Those magazines just glamorize everything. :lol:

Thanks to everyone again for the comments. There are days it seems I will never get this finished, especially on days like yesterday where nearly the only thing I did was to go into Wireframe View and spend hours smoothing out the bottom of the water ways. That work will never be visible but it might help overall performance so I feel that it's an important step.
  • DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    edited February 2010
    Your world looks lovely. The fact that it is a "labor of love" shows. Thanks for sharing the pics! I will look forward to seeing more as you progress.
  • JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited February 2010
    Oh I say Regina...your use of terrain paint is second to none! Absolutely lovely. Sometimes a world instantly conjures an natural ambience and I think if you stick to your guns your world will possess that in bucketloads. I can`t face looking at my own world now thanks to you. Oh by the way Regina, I tested my world in game this evening and it looks great (well, kinda bland in comparison to your terrain texture using abilities :() and it`s just fantastic to actually see a sim walk around your world for the first time.
    So, take as long as your world needs Regina, I know it will do you proud. Just to add, I know you say it`s not a bridge but your `bridge` is perfect for rural towns and looks perfectly rustic. Awesome :wink:
  • Cjdamon042Cjdamon042 Posts: 133 Member
    edited February 2010
    BSIRegina wrote:
    Riverway1.jpg

I absolutely love that picture. The cliffs on the left remind me of an anime or some form of Japanese video game, mostly due to the texture work. Great job :)
  • teakersneakersteakersneakers Posts: 1,967 New Member
    edited February 2010
    My favorite picture is the last one! Can't wait to see the buildings and houses!
  • mattgeo1988mattgeo1988 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited February 2010
    :shock: I love it. When you post it I will be downloading it. It reminds me of one the Firefly worlds. So it is amazing. All of your worlds keep to geological features so well. Sorry, geology major :roll:. So just to say I love it. :D Good Luck with your world and Happy Mardi Gras!
  • SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited February 2010
    It's absolutely gorgeous.

The river reminds me of some of the places where I live. All I would need are cows next to it and couple of copperheads on a rock and it would be home. :D

The country road could be anywhere around here. I can almost smell the pigs in the pig barns (seriously stinky, turkeys are worse!)But hey, we know which way the wind is blowing by the smell...or lack there of lol.

I love it! It looks to me like your hard work has paid off.
    edited February 2010
    Aw, thank you all once again! I am just overwhelmed by the positive response over these few screenshots.
    Oh I say Regina...your use of terrain paint is second to none!
    I'm not so sure about that but I thank you very much for the compliment! :)
    I can`t face looking at my own world now thanks to you.
    I'm sorry! :cry: Your world is so nice, though! I'm so happy you're finally getting to test it--that must feel so great after the weeks of work you have put into it.
    The cliffs on the left remind me of an anime or some form of Japanese video game, mostly due to the texture work.
    Hm. That's interesting. There are some screenshots of video games that I use for reference for designing this. It works well to use real pictures, but TS3 is a video game and as such it also helps to pull reference from other video games. There are some absolutely beautiful ones out there.
    All of your worlds keep to geological features so well. Sorry, geology major
    Don't apologize for critiquing from that angle. I have no formal education beyond high school but geology is something that fascinates me. I love looking at rock formations and upheavals and so on. One of my daughters studies geology as a hobby and if I try putting something in there that doesn't make sense she gives me a good chewing. It's good to hear from someone studying that subject that it's looking realistic.
    All I would need are cows next to it and couple of copperheads on a rock and it would be home.
    I'll go for the cows but not the snakes! :lol: We have rattle snakes here--at least they don't let you sneak up on them. We have cows, too. Lots of cows. I'd rather smell cow manure than exhaust. :lol:
    I love it! It looks to me like your hard work has paid off.
    Not yet. There is still so much to do! There are massive hills (two bounding boxes wide in most places) around the entire map that I haven't even begun on and right now am not even sure where I'm headed with those. Then there's a pretty good-sized lake to the north under the waterfall and a bunch of riverbank that still needs finished, and those are just for starters.
    My favorite picture is the last one! Can't wait to see the buildings and houses!
    I can't wait to see buildings and houses either! If I can pull off what I have planned it will be the best part of the entire map. IF, even though it only has two letters is a VERY big word!
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited February 2010
    I have been looking forward to seeing your World and it looks great! I love the way you've created the river so it just naturally meanders through the landscape, and I couldn't even tell the bridge was not suspended over the water, but a solid chunck of land. Kudos Regina!
    edited February 2010
    Thanks, Auntielynds! I think those bridges may be the bane of my night. :lol:
  • Heather062613Heather062613 Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2010
    Any idea when you will be done? I tried to create my own world, but the lots didn't show, neither did the water fall and light house.
    edited February 2010
    Any idea when you will be done?
    Unfortunately, no. I try to work on it at least a little most days. At times I get quite a bit done then other times I feel like all I did was beat my head against the wall. I was sick when I did the chalk cliffs so could devote most of my time to that and that alone took me nearly two days to finish. (I am both slow and nit-picky. :lol: ) If I could speculate about a time I'd be guessing toward the end of March or the first of April, but that's only a guess.
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    edited February 2010
    It looks wonderful so far! I love the idea of it being the countryside, and hopefully will have architecture and buildings to match that feel.

Can't wait to see more pictures as you keep on working.
    edited February 2010
    Thank you! If I have my way, the architecture will definitely match the setting. There won't be a full compliment of jobs in this town because it isn't practical for what it is. I'll use Jynx's rabbit hole rugs for those that are appropriate, though. :)

I'll be glad when I have some more screenshots to post too. Mainly I've been busy on tweaking and texturing water ways and tonight doing some work on the surrounding hills.