Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Moving - Build/Buy Mode

Hi everyone,

I've been searching around on the internet and apparently a lot of people have been having this problem: I moved almost a full sim day ago and I keep getting the error "Cannot enter Build/Buy mode while a move is in progress". Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried restarting and the reset sim cheat.

Thanks!

Comments

• DorkopotamisDorkopotamis Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    I'm having the same problem.
  • orengiskiesorengiskies Posts: 21 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I have the same problem!!!! (After installing World Adventures) Please EA Help!!!!!!!!!!
  • kirkwoodeagle07kirkwoodeagle07 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I'm having the same problem too!
  • IntentionalEyezIntentionalEyez Posts: 551 New Member
    edited November 2009
    It happened to me too and all I could do was wait it out after directing my sim to do something in the new house.
  • camilleone22camilleone22 Posts: 166 Member
    edited November 2009
    Experiencing this problem also. Anyone found a fix for this? I don't have the expansion but am up to date on the patches. Stupid patches. :(
  • ArdamaxArdamax Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    the same problem i have here.......fix this bug fast pls
  • camilleone22camilleone22 Posts: 166 Member
    edited December 2009
    Has anyone heard of or found a fix for this problem yet?
  • MeganoodleMeganoodle Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm having this problem too.. extremely frustrating. please fix this asap!
  • mercifullynewmercifullynew Posts: 103 Member
    edited December 2009
    I did testingcheats to keep my family alive and the baby from being taken from the social worker, but does anyone know a fix to this, or if it ever goes away? It is driving me NUTS. I actually really LIKE this family and would rather not start a new one.
  • Meesh_LMeesh_L Posts: 32
    edited December 2009
    same issue here too!!! what does testing cheats do?
  • XOX1XOX1 Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited December 2009

The dreaded can't do anything while move is in progress bug! I really hate this glitch! Can't access personal or family inventory, or escape to enter town mode.

I had heard that pressing the ESC key will do it, but that did not work for me. Try this first, it may work for you. Trying to "Save AS', and naming it as a new game, may or may not work.

The only workaround I have found so far that actually works, is to kill off the sims living on that lot. The game then kicks you back to edit town, where you can change active households.

Not the best solution. I had to make the hard choice of losing a sim I was very attached to, or saving a house that I had spent days building. I had to opt for saving the house, and killing the sim. I was not very happy about this at all, but I needed to save the house.

There are many other people that this has happened to. I am still searching for a better solution, as I am not a big fan of killing my sims off.

Needless to say, I am so paranoid about this, that I now save my houses, and backup my game progress on a folder on my desktop several times a day.

If you have a family in that house, it must be heart wrenching to find out about this, and I feel for all of you; but I just haven't found a better way yet.

• attaccaattacca Posts: 16
    edited December 2009
    Im having this problem too. My family is stuck in "Move" mode, for several days. They've gone to work/school from their new house, they've eaten meals at their new house, and when they are out and about and I tell them to return home, they return home to their new house. However, the game still thinks they are moving. Not only will Build/Buy Mode not work, but I can't even go back to "Edit Town" to switch households, because it tells me the move is still in progress. :(
  • attaccaattacca Posts: 16
    edited December 2009
    Anyone else have any luck finding work arounds for this?
  • breakyouxbreakyoux Posts: 465 New Member
    edited January 2010
    The same problem just now happened to me.
    I'm stumped. Because, this never happened before.
    It was when my sim married Lieghton Sekemoto and him, and his son moved in with my sim and her daughter.
    I'm frustrated. I go so far into the game. o_0
  • GemStarrGemStarr Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    Same problem here. I got married and she and her son moved in.. Now I'm stuck in move mode and can't buy another crib for their new baby! :(
  • UncleYammyUncleYammy Posts: 4 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I don't know if this is the exact solution to the problem but I did find a way to fix my own game with this "stuck in moving mode" glitch.
    Initially I moved two sims into my existing household and everything was fine. However after I did move them in it was stuck in moving mode, I accidentally saved, and it all went downhill from there.

I experimented with my game, trying to do anything that would fix it and I came to one thing: I had to kill off one of the sims that moved in. I don't know why it was just one of them and not both (I tried killing off various sims to try to this out) but it all lead down to getting rid of that one sim. Once I did the game went back to normal and everything was fine.

I initially didn't want to kill off that one sim, but I figured that if I did kill him and resurrect him as a ghost (the ambrosia dish)everything would be back to normal. It took a long time getting everything for the dish, etc. but I ended up bringing that sim back to life and everything was back to normal.

I don't know if this is the best solution, but from what I've read from various forums the only way to get out of moving mode is to kill off your sims (if you want to save your house) or just start a brand new game. I didn't want to lose my house or my sims so what I did worked for me.
  • lotrrotk1991lotrrotk1991 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Same problem Here except I moved into an empty lot, so my sims are dying slowly untill I can fix it.
  • GrammastolaRoseaGrammastolaRosea Posts: 92 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Yup! had read about it, now it happened.
    Continued to play, assuming there was a fix. THEN read more about it, and there is none!

Found one poster who speculated that it happens when you move a sim in who has a baby, which is indeed precisely my scenario. In his case, his cell phone still worked, to move out (and in moving again, that move finished, and fixed the issue), my cell phone still has move and travel impossible sadly.

Going back to an earlier save. Lost a few hours. From now on, I'm going to save immediately before any move, just so that I can redo it!

Was a bit irritated that the few 'helps' I ran into just had tech support asking for computer specs and saying it was a computer issue. Too many people are getting this for it to not be a game glitch, people with quite high performance computers.
    edited February 2010
    Well, crap; went to pre-move, tried again, same error.
    I've done many, many moves; and this actually is the very first where the person moving in had a baby in tow. Compounding the issue, maybe, is that they turn into toddlers pretty much at the instant of the move.
    Going back ONE more time, and if I get them to move hours in advance of the baby turning into a toddler, rather than having the birthday mid-move....

This time I did not save in the middle of the move --though that was never a problem before.
    edited February 2010
    OK-- used testingcheatsenabled true to raise the relationship bar, and thus get the "move in" option sooner. Worked.

Must have been the fact that the baby had its birthday mid-move that interrupted the move, at least for me, and prevented its ever being completed...
    Come to think of it, the action "meet up" with the multiple footprints, that happens in moves? Did not happen in the two failed moves.
  • Bente2001Bente2001 Posts: 1 New Member
    Yes people, 7 years later And i Found The solution. I think the main problem is the baby. When you move in by somebody else and you have a baby that's where it goes wrong. So I deleted the baby and I have my precious game back. I mean, I can make another baby hahahahah. I have a five star resort and all and I'm not ready to give that up. I'm really happy that i got my game back!
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Bente2001 wrote: »
    Yes people, 7 years later And i Found The solution. I think the main problem is the baby. When you move in by somebody else and you have a baby that's where it goes wrong. So I deleted the baby and I have my precious game back. I mean, I can make another baby hahahahah. I have a five star resort and all and I'm not ready to give that up. I'm really happy that i got my game back!

This is a very old thread from 2010 that was moved here from the TS3 forum. Yes the game can glitch up if you move with a baby or toddler. It can corrupt the game and will start a chain reaction if any more babies are born in the game. They won't age up and it's usually female babies/toddlers. Deleting the original baby you moved will end the corruption and all other children born should age up the way they should.