Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The BUILD-N-SHARE community celebrates HEROES--WEEKLY CHALLENGE

addict1220addict1220 Posts: 3,778 New Member
I am SO sorry. I have been working on contest entries all evening for my News kids and finally decided to stop for the night about 15 minutes ago. Opening my comp, I remembered it's WEDNESDAY!

With bedtime (yes, I'm lame...but I DO teach high school, so hours are early) in 14 minutes, I don't have time for the full post tonight.

But I can give you the basics:

This week's theme: Your personal hero

The assignment: Create a lot that embodies the "spirit" of this person (what they're like, what they love, what you think of when you think of them,etc.)

Rationale: I wanted something to recognize all the heroes in our lives, not just those fantasy guys with capes (though you can make one of those if you prefer). With Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday this week, all of the heroism taking place daily in Haiti, and the recent loss of two of my personal heroes, it seemed like an appropriate time.

Budget: Have at it! (Not something you'll often hear from the lover of starters :))

Again, I apologize. I'll be back tomorrow with the official post, but this is pretty much the challenge. Create a lot for your hero. Maybe create your hero, too, if you get into it. And as always, the English teacher in me would love a few good stories. :mrgreen:

Take care,
Addict

Comments

• RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    edited January 2010
    Thank you Addict. No worries. This is a great idea! :)
  • fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    edited January 2010
    Wow! no idea what I am gonna do, but I'll give it a wack.
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
    Another goodnight bump. Take it easy Addict. :) See you tomorrow.
  • FreynasFreynas Posts: 1,289 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Entry list
  • Kitkat7145Kitkat7145 Posts: 1,018 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Awww...warm fuzzies, Addict! I remember writing a paper on my hero in elementary school - my grandmother. She wasn't expected to walk again (and surviving was touch and go for a bit) after a devasting accident (struck by a car) when I was about 5. She moved from a wheelchair to a walker to a cane after many long hours of physical therapy. Even after moving beyond the walker, she faithfully "took her exercises" every morning for 20+ years to keep her hard won use of her legs. We sadly lost her presence in our lives two years ago, but she's still definitley my hero. Such a super idea, and so many ways you can go with it...
    edited January 2010
    Results
  • Aragona09Aragona09 Posts: 103 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi friends

I will try to make a challenge this week. Not sure were I belong anymore, so I will leave that to the judge. Alredy pickt my hero, our adopted daughter. I will build a house for her. She was borned in India 2005 and came to the orphanage when she was 1,8 years old and her weight was only 5,68 kg. She is a surviver and I still learning to be a mother. Me and my husband went to India september 2008 to bring her home after 10 months of waiting to be clear to travel to India. She is a little hero, leaving her homecontry, learning a new language in a few months and having in her bagage lost of birthparents and friends in India. Now she is blossom with us her new family and friends in daycarecenter. She is our precious pearl from India. She is our daughter.

Aragona
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    edited January 2010
    I have two Ideas I am going about, not sure which one I will end with.
  • addict1220addict1220 Posts: 3,778 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Welcome back, Aragona! :D And what a lovely choice for your build.

Kitkat, thank you so much for your kind words and an inspiring story!

To all who bumped...much thanks!

I hate to do this, but I'm actually swamped again. I've only taken a break for food tonight and now I have to write plans for tomorrow and finish our awards submissions. I think this is going to have to do for the challenge specifics. I'll try to check back in before bed. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Addict
  • Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited January 2010
    Kitkat7145 wrote:
    Awww...warm fuzzies, Addict! I remember writing a paper on my hero in elementary school - my grandmother. She wasn't expected to walk again (and surviving was touch and go for a bit) after a devasting accident (struck by a car) when I was about 5. She moved from a wheelchair to a walker to a cane after many long hours of physical therapy. Even after moving beyond the walker, she faithfully "took her exercises" every morning for 20+ years to keep her hard won use of her legs. We sadly lost her presence in our lives two years ago, but she's still definitley my hero. Such a super idea, and so many ways you can go with it...

Oh wow! That is a very moving story! I can't wait to see your entry!
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited January 2010
    Aragona09 wrote:
    Hi friends

I will try to make a challenge this week. Not sure were I belong anymore, so I will leave that to the judge. Alredy pickt my hero, our adopted daughter. I will build a house for her. She was borned in India 2005 and came to the orphanage when she was 1,8 years old and her weight was only 5,68 kg. She is a surviver and I still learning to be a mother. Me and my husband went to India september 2008 to bring her home after 10 months of waiting to be clear to travel to India. She is a little hero, leaving her homecontry, learning a new language in a few months and having in her bagage lost of birthparents and friends in India. Now she is blossom with us her new family and friends in daycarecenter. She is our precious pearl from India. She is our daughter.

Aragona

Another powerful story! May I ask what your little girl's name is? I hope it's Indian, they have beautiful names.

Hm... I may try this. If I do, this will be for my neighbor who passed last year on Father's Day. She was an amazing inspiration. She was given 3 months to live 2 years before she died. She fought hard, right up 'til the end. Even kept her insane humor too. She was very close to all of us and she is sorely missed. I think if I did this, her spirit would appreciate all the hard work I put into it.
    23uvol1.jpg
  • LandaXLandaX Posts: 229 New Member
    edited January 2010
    My inspiration will definitely be my Grandfather. He was a college professor during the time of the Cultural Revolution, which meant that he was persecuted for having nothing more than a brilliant mind. He lived a life of hardship for most of his life, involving being sent to jail as a political prisoner more than once. He and my grandmother had to get a divorce in order to protect my mom and her brother. In the end, though, he lived a very long life and passed away a few years ago.

This is dedicated to him :)
  • gldkellygldkelly Posts: 57 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi addict1220,

Hope all is well! Long time no type to, Hee, hee.

I think I will dedicate this build to my husband. He is a wonderful man, served
    15 years in the Army, fought in Desert Storm, is an amazing father to our 8 year old son Dylan, and is my very best friend! We've been together for almost 20 years, and there are times when I feel like the luckiest woman in the world!

The build should be easy, because his favorite thing to do is fish! :lol:

So count me in addict,

your friend,

Lynda

Oh, one more thing before I start, for simmers that can't use there Launcher ( That would be me ) is there any other way for me to upload? I'm still waiting for EA to fix this problem.

I have to usual, 4share, mediafire, megaupload, photobucket, and yes can't even upload a story!

Let me know!
  • addict1220addict1220 Posts: 3,778 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi, Lynda. So glad to "see" you again. :mrgreen:
    Not sure about uploading here, but if you wanted to upload elsewhere via just the file on your comp, that could work. Sorry I'm not more up on logistics. Perhaps one of our other members will chime in.

Addict
    edited January 2010
    Attention!!

Hello everyone! Since Addict is having some problems with free time, she gave me permission to post the official thread for this week’s challenge. So we are moving to:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/163595.page#1941766

Please post your comments and Entry on the new thread. Thank you! And I will see you there.
  • gldkellygldkelly Posts: 57 New Member
    edited January 2010
    addict1220 wrote:
    Hi, Lynda. So glad to "see" you again. :mrgreen:
    Not sure about uploading here, but if you wanted to upload elsewhere via just the file on your comp, that could work. Sorry I'm not more up on logistics. Perhaps one of our other members will chime in.

Addict
    Not to worry sweetheart, this old lady know just what to do, just wanted the OK! Cheer up! Positive attitude brings you nothing but joy! Big Smiley goes here! Big Hugs also!

Your friend,
    Lynda