Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Downloaded stuff not showing up

Hello everybody,

I am new to this website and downloading content, but not new to Sims. I downloaded lots of content from the store, but none of it showed up in my downloads or installed content on the launcher. I entered the game and tried to change the appearance of one of my Sims to use a new hairstyle I got but it wasn't there. What am I doing wrong? Why aren't my items showing up in my downloads in the launcher?

Thanks!

Comments

• lmlittlelmlittle Posts: 5
    edited January 2010
    I'm having the same problem. So far I haven't gotten an answer.
  • leitenpergerleitenperger Posts: 6
    edited January 2010
    i can download stuff from the store and have it show up in the launcher but almost none of it shows up in the game. i think it has something to do with the latest patch, that's when it started happening. let's hope they fix it in the next.
  • SimGuruBrentSimGuruBrent Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited January 2010
    If these are objects from the exchange and they have modified content inside of them, it will result in you not being able to install them.
  • RenStrikerRenStriker Posts: 14
    edited January 2010
    I don't think customized objects are the issue.

I run S3, w/o WA, but when I play, nothing that I have bought from the store shows up, whether it was supposed to be part of a lot or available to buy/build. It shows up in the launcher as being installed, but during game play nothing from Steampunk Savvy, Thanksgiving, Halloween, or New Year's is showing up. And when trying to change appearance via a mirror in Create-a-Sim Mode, the hair button does not do anything when I click on it. Makeup still works though.

I am updated to version 1.8.25.003001
    edited January 2010
    Just thought I'd clarify, those things show up as being installed in the launcher, but don't show up anywhere or at any time during gameplay.
  • Birkettboy55Birkettboy55 Posts: 363 New Member
    edited January 2010
    This is the problem Im having, however this time i have some items that are installed, but others that arnt. Whats interesting is that they all my installed content is before I updated the game to 2.3.33. And as soon as I did that, some items dissapeared, others did not. they were all installed prier to the update, and now all show that they still are installed even when they are not visible in the game.

I am tempted to reinstall some of the items and see if that works.

Please keep this thread going till someone has an answer

BBoy
  • SimGuruCollinSimGuruCollin Posts: 173
    edited January 2010
    Birkettboy, do you have a list of the store items that appeared uninstalled after the patch, and/or a list of all store content that's currently giving you problems?
  • PhantomOwlPhantomOwl Posts: 2 New Member
    edited January 2010
    This is a common issue with the most recent patch, which so far EA hasn't acknowledged existing. When I installed the latest patch, all of my custom content disappeared, including free store items, all lots and sims I had downloaded from the exchange (all of them were base game only-no custom content), and custom content free lots that I had downloaded on some fan sites. Also missing from my game was Riverview. Additionally, there were some glitches with my sims. The one that made me realize that something was wrong was that many of my sims had had their favorite music changed to "French", which didn't have an icon. I don't have the WA expansion, so I'm assuming that most of the broken custom content and other issues with this patch have to do with the patch being meant to fix issues with WA.

Whatever the cause, I have received no help from EA on this matter. Several fan sites have figured out work-arounds that involve fiddling with subfolders in the Electronics Arts folder located in Documents. But those are complicated, not guaranteed to work and will probably break when EA finally decides to fix this issue with the next patch. I decided that the best option at this point was to simply restore The Sims 3 folder in my Applications folder and the Electronic Arts folder in my Documents folder to an earlier version using Time Machine. So I'm just going to wait for EA to solve it.
  • ReguilloReguillo Posts: 8 New Member
    edited January 2010
    After reinstalling the game and sniffing around in the options and files, i'm almost glad that i'm not the only one with this problem.
    The fist time i experienced it, was after the last patch (1.8.25).
    Right after the patch i loaded up the game, when i received an error message saying that it could recognize my cd as legal. (something like that)

I had some of the official downloadable content installed and some from fan sites.
    It couldn't load eighter. It just kept loading as if it was in safemode.
    Hope they patch it fast.
  • QCast_MichaelQCast_Michael Posts: 10 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Just chiming in to say that I, too, ham having the exact same issue. I'd like my downloaded content back, please!!
  • gldkellygldkelly Posts: 57 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Me to Q cast, Me to! I have WA, but when all junk started happening, I uninstalled it. Now I'm only playing Sims 3. I have zero CC, and I do not have a patch eather. I did have almost all store bought items, and there all gone! I tryed to download them from the store history, but the launcher is all messed up.
    It really is awful, because I like to join some of the challenges here on the forum, but my launcher will not upload! I'm doing Fidlers Cabin Fever Challenge, and have my build finished, but I can't upload it to my sim page. I can get it to upload from the game, but then when your suppose to tick your item, it will not upload! I have till Feb 7th, so I hope EA has a sollution before then!! :cry:
    edited January 2010
    So, does anybody know when this is going to be addressed? Not having stuff you downloaded or paid for is more than a bit frustrating... I mean, I've only ever downloaded stuff from the official Store, not other sites, but I'm starting to wonder which would be better...
  • WildflowerWildflower Posts: 11 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Hopefully this thread will continue to document other Mac user problems.

My rather new MacBook worked beautifully with Simms 3 and the WA pack with very few glitches. The few times it refused to load thru the EA Installer I would re-boot my computer and things loaded fine. Game play went smoothly and I was able to download content from the official Simms 3 site both from the Exchange and Store. I never used any other mod game parts as I heard of glitches early on. All the patches went smoothly and I was able to load the freebies from Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then I did the 2.3.33.003001 update and I can no longer load anything thru the installer even though I have purchased the items. Even the newest freebies will not load. None will even load into my Installer now. As far as I can tell none of the old content has changed but there are now some minor game freezes that a few seconds of waiting seem to fix.

I'm not sure what that latest Mac patch was supposed to fix but my gaming experience was definitely worse after my Installer did an automatic update. I have emailed EA my problem which I feel sure they are addressing. No response yet. It does seem to me that a courtsey response to us on the forums letting us know they are aware and working on it would be in order after all the monies they have received from us!
  • LDoCampoLDoCampo Posts: 79 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I too am having this problem. I just got WA up and running and right now I have 0 CC in my game, even though I've installed quite a bit of it.

Any chance EA can create a patch that won't make my game worse to play than it was pre-patch?
  • tdyraintdyrain Posts: 35 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I had his problem too. I installed World Adventures and downloaded custom content when they had the sale. Half of my items did not show up, and I had to download them again. They showed up the secon time. But I lost over 1000 points. I didn't play the game until yesterday, when miraculously my points showed up in my account. I was able to download from the EA store, but when I tried to download households from the exchange it will not complete the download in the installer. There is no custom content involved. I also keep getting an warning stating that I don't have the latest patch from the exchange, but my game is on automatic patch and when I select refresh it tells me that I am updated.
  • QCast_MichaelQCast_Michael Posts: 10 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Just tried re-installing my downloaded content from the store. Still doesn't show up. Sigh...
    edited January 2010
    This is a large problem effecting a lot of us. I think it's the patch. There's nothing we can do until they release a patch to correct the one they released to fix the other patch.

At least they fixed the disappearing hair thing? Silver lining maybe?
  • JazzyBoo016JazzyBoo016 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I click download to all the items i bought and they do come up in the launcher but they ALL say unable to download, try again later and i keep trying and samething.. PLEASE HELP!!
    edited January 2010
    There's nothing anyone can do. It's the patch. You just have to wait for EA to release a new one to fix it.
    edited January 2010
    GUYS! I found a way to get it working without breaking the game or whatever. :D
    *This is for mac users only*

Make sure you have a backup folder just to be save.
    The sims should be turned off while doing this.

Open Finder and go to Library\Preferences.
    Look for files called:
    com.transgaming.tginstall-sims3-sku2.plist
    com.transgaming.thesims3.plist
    com.transgaming.tginstall-sims3ep1-sku7.plist
    com.transgaming.thesims3ep1.plist
    com.transgaming.thesims3-uninstaller.plist
    (I have the expension, so you might not have all the above)

Select all the files i've named above and move them to your backup folder.
    Also move the folder called The Sims 3 Preferences.
    (I figured why not move it all to be sure)

Start the game and you should find your downloaded content again.
    For those who downloaded stuff from other sites, i wasn't able to fix that. At least not yet.
    Hope it woks for you all.
  • JessLei9JessLei9 Posts: 21
    edited January 2010
    I'm having this issue also! I've downloaded everything correctly like all the guides online say to (i'm new to mac!) and only the thing from the store show up but not all of the time and none of the custom content from other websites show up... I made sure I have the resource.cfg file and everything was put into the correct place =|
    Could I be doing something wrong or is it definitely EA??
    :(
    This is so frustrating... :?
  • LucibelleLucibelle Posts: 97 New Member
    edited January 2010
    There are solutions, but these are not for casual computer users and do require visiting other sites and using mods. I finally got ALL my CC back-EVERYTHING. Here's one... http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=382520

I know I've been pretty hard on EA on these boards, (I'm sure the gurus here hate me) but that's because one shouldn't have to be a rocket scientist to play this game! There are people out there that can fix EA's mistakes WAY before EA can, and that is just plain sad.
    edited January 2010
    It is sad isn't it. I also have all my CC back. Still some issues, but at least i got i running again.
    Thx for the post Lucibelle.
  • buntinggirlbuntinggirl Posts: 69 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I'm just adding my name to this. I understand it's the patch, but it's jolly frustrating.

I don't have any CC in my Sims that isn't from EA via the Store. I modded my Sims 2 and hated the end result so resolved not to 'mess' with 3. That said, I would really like to be able to play the game with the content I've chosen and paid for - oh and I'd quite like to play Riverview again too, as that disappeared.

Let's hope they patch this soon.
  • WildflowerWildflower Posts: 11 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Hopefully the new patch is working well for everyone. I just downloaded it successfully today and my Launcher can now download all the Holiday Freebies including the latest celebrations....and the stuff I had paid for previously. All is working well again!
    Thank you EA for fixing our Macs!
    Jane