Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    Httddy7Httddy7 Posts: 122 Member
    edited January 2010
    Double post. Sorry
  • Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2010
    I just sat and read about 15 pages, didn't have my notepad so didn't make notes as I went along. Most questions were answered and some were raised. On the survey there was a question that asked something like 'do you think your builds have improved', I think everyones builds have improved immensely. If you look back at your early builds and consider what you are doing now - the change is astonishing. That 'you' is everyone btw! Even those builders who were building well at the beginning have improved.

Now I have a question, chimneys (my latest bugbear). If you want to cas them you have to rebuild the walls right? I got that bit, but if I try when my house is built, the game won't let me so is it really a case of planning in advance? If so, I may never get it as I have never learnt to plan in advance, I never have known what I want my result to be except in a vague sense. This is true in this game as well as painting.

I decided last night to watch tv for a change. So what was I doing? drawing a plan of a house I was thinking of building. Sigh. I said that I had lived in Victorian houses and I thought I would like to try and reproduce one. Then I realised it was a terraced house, therefore shared a roof with neighbours so therefore we could have attic rooms.

Where is Merry?

In the challenge, it says 'Link to media(required)'. Wassat? More than a few tinypics and 4shared or will that do?
  • Options
    JackmontcJackmontc Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2010
    Wolfspryte- i fell in love with that outdoor kitchen that you made- and i have built my own- can i use it in one of the challenges??

just felt i should ask..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm having a go at a victorian house for the creators island project and thought I would share some shots with you to check I'm on the right path.

Now the previous owners had started this refurbishment and had put a new roof on the property, but they couldn't afford to do the veranda so opted for a trellice roof instead (yes - I've got the same problem as wolfspryte!)

Two outside shots
    Screenshot-12.jpg
    Screenshot-13.jpg
    my internal pallet
    Screenshot-14.jpg
    The lounge
    Screenshot-15.jpg
    Screenshot-16.jpg
    The hall
    Screenshot-19.jpg
    Screenshot-20.jpg
    The internal hallway
    Screenshot-17.jpg
    Screenshot-18.jpg
  • Options
    WickedKnightWickedKnight Posts: 189 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, I was 40 pages behind and there is no way I can sift through them all.

Just wanted to say hi, I think I'm just gonna hide in the background for now. I haven't even opened my game in like 2 weeks.

Hope all is well and see you soon... ish.. :P
  • Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited January 2010
    Good morning everyone! :) I'm hoping to get my second floor done today! Yay...it's my last day off and then school starts again for me tomorrow...I only have 1 class so far but I need to pick up a couple more if I'm to keep my student loan so I'm hoping my schedule won't be too demanding...afterall, I can't let it interfere with my sims! lol

Another piece of news I wanted to share with you all is that today is my last day on the nicoderm patch and then I am 100% smoke-free! Whoohooo! :)
  • Options
    darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited January 2010
    Julia...typically green isnt a color that i get excited about..But you have done a great job of getting those colors to go well together.Furniture placement is looking great also.

Bre..i gave your rustic cottage a well deserved rec.Its a very nice home..love how you can see the texture in the stucco exterior.

Nam...The very first pic i saw,i was thinking this home is gonna be another square one.But as i keep scrolling,you have a really cool design here..great use of CFE and MOO.I'm not sure how you got the one roof all the way to the ground..or how it doesnt disappear since there is a roof over it..so great job on getting that right.Interior..i love how you got so many MOO combos in there..i even love how you got your fridge at the angle.OK..so there are alot of amazing things going on in this house,so i not gonna keep commenting on each individual thing..I love furniture placement and design..now it just looks like you need to get busy with CAS.Awesome job overall.

*EDIT* Nam congrats on becoming smokefree..i am on day 7 ,going cold turkey...in the past i tried the patches and lozenges..but was never successful..so this time it is strictly will power and my desire to no longer smoke.Wish me luck.

Jaded..thank you so much for all the new CC..i know i am a CC Junkie..and its making it hard for me to enter other challenges that say no CC...so i guess its just gonna have to be their loss..lol..cuz i love cool new stuff.

Jake..your WIP is coming along very well..even the yellow exterior is growing on me.While you are doing well with your terrain paints..something i would like to see is maybe some tiny hills around your trees...as a tree grows,alot of the time the roots push the ground upwards..so maybe try giving your land a little more depth..anyone who knows me well though..just knows i'm not crazy about flat land..unless its a very formal looking landscape,then i guess it acceptable.That is all just personal taste though.I usually just give the raise terrain button a little bump around trees at the very least though.

Cera..your WIP is looking great..i'd like to give you same advice though about bumping the terrain up a notch or so around your trees.Nothing drastic..just a little dimension..otherwise you have done very well with the terrain paints and landscape decor.

Smoky..if i understand your question about fireplaces and walls correctly..i assume your fireplace is set and now your trying to build a wall around it???If this is the issue..then grab that fireplace set it outside or where ever it will set..then build the walls you need and then replace the fireplace where you wanted it..if it doesnt want to go there because of the walls then use MOO and it will go in there then.I hope this helps you.basically.move fireplace,build walls,replace fireplace.

Httddy7 ...I'm not sure if trellis's are acceptable on victorians..but thats not my decision..one thing you and spryte could try is using the halfgabled roof on those outsides and lower them as much as possible..the main issue there is the odd little corners you will get when you join them..but that is how i did my porch on the victorian i built.Now i have to admit the exterior color doesnt work for me..but that is personal taste.i hate seeing that color used on real homes.Now your interior..i see a mix of cultural influences in there..since i can relate to not having enough time era decor..i want to suggest CASing your planters to something more suitable to the rest of your decor(asian flair mixed with victorian)Use some woods for those planters.Also CAS you staircase.it looks egyptian at the moment..i think just changing colors may help that.i also see an egptian chair,so again try CAS and see if you can get it looking more time friendly..the point i'm trying to make..the structure need to fit the build..but decor items could have picked up on vacations,etc..so that is acceptable..just make sure your showing that in your work and decor.Overall though..i am loving it.
  • Options
    bergcrysbergcrys Posts: 659
    edited January 2010
    Okay people have asked where to get my landscaping cc ...and some have aked about roof beams and windows....

Here are lots with nothing but transferable cc (which means you can use in town challenges) Pick what you want.. or download all of them--- some from TSR some from foreign sites that use the same tools TSR does... all of it gathered in one list.

Jaded I think I love you *droolz* *wipes away happy tears*
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Congrats on quitting smoking DS and nam!! I quit a couple years ago and I'm so happy I did. Not just for the money I save! The first week is always the hardest so hang in there.

Everyones WIP look so good and I can't remember who posted pics or not but I plan on looking at some of the pics tomorrow in more detail. Today I think I'll work on my ranch house so I'll be here periodically.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol need some advice- doing hotel challenge and not sure about outside colour, i am using Victorian Palette, and slats and not sure which one to use- Duke of Earl- grey colour
    Light red - pinky colour

wanna no wat you think.

P.S. there are white frame windows and doors
  • Options
    wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Jack.. not going to comment as I might take a stab at that challenge too.
    Jack... WOW - sort of a honor that you like that outdoor "kitchen" and want to use it! :D Thanks.. and be my guest! If someone likes something I do and wants to recreate it.. it's a wonderful thing! :D {Although, I'm probably not the first person to think of it!}

Jake... its lovely.. maybe try using MOO to move the porch columns into the porch railing??

Berg... Dark answered your question! :D

Julia.. really pretty!

Brenna.. I like it.. d/l and rec'd

Simshine... it's lovely - same suggestion as bre

Nam.. That's what I figured to do about the roof.. explain it away! :D Not sure about house style, but it looks good! Congrats on the quit! {maybe someday I will quit too!}

Jaded... are these all placed w/o a Mods/package file? Did they all come as Sim3packs? Or, do you have to have the Mods/packages and config file in place?

Httddy: LOL Sorry, that roof is a pain in the butt! Looks nice, but will have to defer to Merry/Jaded/Magician about okay or not.

Darkside... Good Luck with the quit!

Okay.. I think that concludes this "chapter".. lol Hope I didn't miss anyone! All lots/stories rec'd and d/l!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks wolfspryte- and if you try the challenge good luck.

have kind of settled on colour for the moment but as "the competition" write on this page aswell i won't say anything, lol.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have a question about the kitchens in the hotel...it wont let me add certain kitchen appliances because it says that it's a commercial lot? How can I get around this.
  • Options
    jadedcat1983jadedcat1983 Posts: 401
    edited January 2010
    wolfspryte wrote:

Jaded... are these all placed w/o a Mods/package file? Did they all come as Sim3packs? Or, do you have to have the Mods/packages and config file in place?

90% of those are Sim3 packs....I think all of them are...but it might have 1 or 2 that aren't... so I will hedge my bets and say 90%...lol

If you download and install the lot using the launcher it'll put everything in the right place....sort of like when you download a house and get free cc stuff without ever installing seperately.

Jaded
  • Options
    Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited January 2010
    Gr! I hate you all! You are all amazing builders! I fail at building >_< I can decorate and landscape but not build.

BTW Mag- God this is OLD, but did you happen to see the landscaping on my Assignments? XD It was back on maybe... 260? 270? Somewhere around there. I was wondering if you had any feedback for me
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Options
    Cera13Cera13 Posts: 891 Member
    edited January 2010
    catching up from pg 291

Simtweek-revoted for you!

Craig-Awesome for the DLs!!! I like your new palette and can't wait to see it in action. I do admit that I really liked and was looking forward to seeing the golden/orange that was in the previous one.

Simshine-Your exterior so inviting, I just love it!

Jake-Wow is all I can say for the exterior, I can't wait to see the interior!

Julia-I really like your color palette! My WIP is very similar :)

Nam-I love it...makes me want to go start the CFE homework! Congrats on quiting, I know its tough. I quit last may and used the patches too. I thought they made it a lot easier than I expected quiting to be. I kinda miss the crazy dreams they give you though, lol!

Darkside-For the terrain, you mean not so level right? Congrats to you too on quitting! I used the patches because I just about sent myself into a panic attack when I thought about going cold turkey. One thing that helped me a bunch was writting out a short list of pro's and con's of smoking. My pro side had I thing one it...I like it! My con side had the smell, the cost, going outside when its cold, stopping at the store all the time. I just kept reminding myself how inconvenient I discovered it to be (once I made my list). I kept a lighter in my purse like a security blanket (it's actually still there) and my last pack (missing 2) was up in a kitchen cupboard for a couple months (another security blanket) before my husband ran out and was desperate enough to smoke them. I'm happy I did...TS3 was my gift to myself for quitting :) Good luck to you!

On a personal note, my hometown suffered a major earthquake yesterday. There was lots of damage and several injuries. I've gotten a hold of some of my family and friends, but there are many more I have yet to hear from. I'm sure its just because the power is out in several places, but not knowing is a bit nerve racking. Cross your fingers that they are all ok for me please.
  • Options
    Jake110889Jake110889 Posts: 41 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Nam and Dark congrats on quitting.

Cera I am crossing fingers and toes for you.
  • Options
    craigst39craigst39 Posts: 434 Member
    edited January 2010
    Cera i tried the other color palette and it just didnt look right in game so thats why i switched to the new one. And on a personal note my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Im sure they are ok.
  • Options
    Buddy_ClydeBuddy_Clyde Posts: 85 New Member
    edited January 2010
    MW and all:
    Re New Covershot Upload -

First I had to determine why I had uploaded without replacing the covershot and then get a new upload with replaced covershot.

I have been working non-stop except for sleeping and making sandwiches for my son and I. My basic problem is that I work from a laptop and a 2nd monitor. The laptop is only 3 years old and was top of the line when I bought it. Sim2 worked fine but it doen't handle Sim3 well at all. Graphics are too much for it.

I have been having big problems getting this house handled. Last night I turned to my computer geek son for help. He is in charge of Quality Assurance for Bridgestone Americas (I think that is the official name) and a former developer. He said I had a corrupt file and needed to try blah, blah, blah... or give up. This morning I started doing what he suggested and at 11:39 CST I got it up loaded with new covershot BUT I couldn't post on the forum. Finally cried. But it quickly opened up the posting and here I am sharing my tale of woe and my new lot address.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1833904

New computer when his bonus comes thru but that is not until Feb. Until then, I will be very, very careful.

Will thank all for their comments after bath and chores are done. Thank you for your patience.

Incidentally, had 6.4 in of new snow this week and last night was -9 deg and we only lost water in the bathroom. All this is exciting to a So California girl.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cera I hope everything will be ok... I'm even crossing my eyes!
  • Options
    Buddy_ClydeBuddy_Clyde Posts: 85 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Forgot to ask if I can move on to CFE?
  • Options
    SimShineSimShine Posts: 308 Member
    edited January 2010
    Gr! I hate you all! You are all amazing builders! I fail at building >_< I can decorate and landscape but not build.

BTW Mag- God this is OLD, but did you happen to see the landscaping on my Assignments? XD It was back on maybe... 260? 270? Somewhere around there. I was wondering if you had any feedback for me

When I first started building (Sims 2) it was pretty awful. Try using floor plans to get you started or give you some ideas...that's what I did =]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Darkeside - thanks for the input. I'll have another go at the roof and I get your comments about the other stuff.

Cera - fingers crossed I hope everybody is all right.
  • Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi guys!

Oh Cera I hope everything is ok, and the aftershocks are not too bad. I Hate above all things earthquakes. I lived in Tokyo for 7 years and hated them all. Kobe was really scary it threw me out of bed, not so bad but I had friends in Kobe and they had an awful time. So my thoughts are with you.

I was happily building and playing Sim3 today, and had the thought gosh this is a very absorbing game for £29.99 - then I realised to play it involved:-
    1. New graphics card, NVidia Geforce, 9800 GT, which my computor is 25% underpowered for but it plays, extra memory- ok that was a cool £175 ish.
    2. WA at the same cost, ie £30.
    3. Subscription to tsr.
    So my game really has cost me around £250.

Wow.

And then ea has the nerve to have faulty access. wow.

humph.
  • Options
    BrennaWBrennaW Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited January 2010
    bergcrys wrote:
    I have a question about the kitchens in the hotel...it wont let me add certain kitchen appliances because it says that it's a commercial lot? How can I get around this.

Bergcrys I have two answers for you:

1. Since this is for the challenge you can only furnish the lot with what "commercial" zoning makes available to you in buy mode. I also assume for the challenge the interiors have to have period suitable appliances between 1800 and turn of the century, so that would mean no microwaves. :wink:

2. For non-challenge situations how to get all buy mode items is:.Change the lot to residential, furnish with what you like, and then change back to commercial.

Hope that helps.

Luv Bre

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top