Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the game run well on macbooks?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    darkgoddessdarkgoddess Posts: 1,372 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have a unibody macbbook, the reg entry level line. it works very well , i havent had any issues at all.
  • Options
    AltoidAltoid Posts: 27 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have a 2 month old MAXED OUT MacBook Pro....

I am so disappointed :(
    It's horrible.
    The graphics absolutely **** and the textures look insanely fake.
    The >>> is the same as the >.

I basically got this computer to be ready for the Sims 3.
    It sucks.
    I'm soooo bummed.
    Like seriously ARGH $#*&($#.
  • Options
    WhiskeycloneWhiskeyclone Posts: 162 New Member
    edited June 2009
    AdmETPiett wrote:
    I've managed to get it to run fine on my Macbook without lagging too much by turning down all the graphics sliders and turning off anything that might force more render time. Maybe it's not as pretty, but smoothness of gameplay is more important than some pretty textures for me!

Very true. Follow this.
  • Options
    jessimaejessimae Posts: 22 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have a 2.4ghz macbook, 4gb ram, Intel GMA X3100 video chip & my game runs fine for about 30min & then crashes (even on the lowest settings)..
  • Options
    simbilN99simbilN99 Posts: 273 Member
    edited June 2009
    i have a new 13 inch 2009 aluminum macbook. 2.4 ghz intel duo core processor and 2 gb ram. game works great. graphics could be better, but i'm not complainin

Same here and have 4 GB of RAM. I have most of the settings on high. Big downer is where are the shadows??? even though I have the shadow setting on max?????
  • Options
    mands423mands423 Posts: 36 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i have a mac book.. its actually from my college.. so not really "mine" but anyway it doesn't have all the top specs or anything and it is running the sims 3 pretty good. at first i was bummed about the graphics but then i realized all the settings were on the lowest end... now that i upped all the graphic settings everything looks amazing.. and it's still running pretty good. my only complaints are that the fast forward speed isn't faster than the slow speed and that there is a small lag when i choose things for my sims to do.. like they just stand there for a minute before doing stuff... but i'm sure some patches will come out eventually and all will be wonderful :)
  • Options
    LillienLillien Posts: 50 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I bought an aluminum Macbook in November (love it!) and installed sims 3 yesterday, it runs great for me.
    I haven't read all of the comments, but it looks like most people having problems with the game are running older white or black macbooks.
    I've kept it on the default settings (haven't tried higher detail yet), most everything is on medium, and although it's certainly not the highest detail it can go the game runs just fine, no lag at all for me, even when going across town.
    So maybe this is just an issue with older macbooks?
    I have experienced the disappearing mouse issue like some of the other posters. Not sure why that has happened, but when it has I just command-q and save and exit the game. When I start it up again the mouse is back. Maybe a patch will fix this in the future, but it's not a huge issue for me as the game loads very quickly- much faster than sims 2 did, although maybe that's just because I was playing it on an older windows machine.
    Anyway, all in all it runs quite well and mine is only a 2.0 ghz processor with 2GB ram, the minimum specs on aluminum macbooks.
  • Options
    Kmarshall1990Kmarshall1990 Posts: 66 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i have a 13" widescreen macbook and its lags alot.... but i think its cuz the games new so they'll have problems to work with and stuff.. i think its gonna run laggy on all computers till they start doing some work to the game cuz i doubt everyones computer makes their game lag
  • Options
    lowenbajowenlowenbajowen Posts: 61 New Member
    edited June 2009
    lag, glitch, lag, glitch. Is that all you can ever do, Sims 3?
    oih.
    Again, the new features are awesome, but the game performance on my mac is HORRIBLE, and so are the graphics.
    I'm surprised to hear it works on any of the macbooks.

I also have spore on my macbook and it works 100% fine. Good graphics, no lag. Woot.
    But for some reason Sims3 is just horrible. :/
    Very disappointed, going to attempt to install it on my PC, if they'll even let you install it a second time and register the same username on another computer.
  • Options
    simbilN99simbilN99 Posts: 273 Member
    edited June 2009
    ... if they'll even let you install it a second time and register the same username on another computer.

Yes you can. I have it both on a Dell 8400 dimension as well as my macbook. I am going to try with bootcamp on the PC side some time.
  • Options
    Eulalie1977Eulalie1977 Posts: 70 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Not yet. I am hopeful it will in the near future.
  • Options
    magmoodmagmood Posts: 8
    edited March 2010
    I have a Macbook Pro with 4GB ram and everything, but it still runs pretty slowly. I mean, sometimes it works like a dream, but the longer I play it, the slower it gets until I have to quit. Sometimes if I just start the game again, it will start to run well, but such is usually not the case. I just have to wait a few hours.
    Considering the way Apple peddles Macs as the computers that are made to handle graphics and all of that, they usually end up with problems like these. And using sims on my desktop PC is not an option, because my PC has all of the documents and such things that are more important to me.
    Does anyone know if there is a solution to Sims 3 sluggishness or have a link to a thread with suggestions for the same?
  • Options
    xcin100xxcin100x Posts: 51
    edited March 2010
    Hey i would really like it if u simmers would come check out my sims blog at

www.xcin100x.wordpress.com

Id appreciate it if you commented
    thanks for the support
  • Options
    AniRemiAniRemi Posts: 43
    edited March 2010
    Well, I'm running on a last-gen white 13" MacBook. And the game runs all right so long as I keep the graphics turned down to their near-to-lowest settings. If I try to bump them up, frame rates go downhill (even though you would think that 4 GB of RAM would be enough for that little 9400 M to fall back on) and sometimes the terrain even turns black and I have to delete the options.ini file to fix it. If I leave those settings down and avoid running in widescreen, it doesn't look pretty at all, but the frame rate is almost perfect.

If you're gonna play Sims 3 on a Mac, get one of them with the more powerful graphics chip. But even if you're willing to give up a little of the performance in favor of price, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the game.