This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

"Trans" a bad word???

«1

I'm trying to upload my trans MTF Sim and gallery keeps rejecting the upload due to "disallowed word". Trans, the word is trans.

REALLY EA??? REALLY?

So much for inclusion. Trans flag is ok but trans Sim isn't? I'm disgusted and angry. This is not acceptable!

Comments

  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,556 Member
    There's a link to a survey in this post where you can report this.


    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1011564/the-sims-4-gallery-profanity-filter-feedback

    This form is to collect feedback about our new profanity filter that launched on Oct 31st 2023. Please let us know if you see it either blocking or allowing something that you believe it shouldn't, and we'll use your report to continuously improve the accuracy of this feature. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,058 Member
    Try typing it in with a space between. I had made some Bohemian sims when the movie pack came out with a traveling wagon house and they wouldn’t let me use the word GYP sy’s, well they did at first, but when I played them for awhile and then tried to upload them to the gallery again, I had to change the name. I know people in real life who are proud to be called that. Their ancestors traveled from place to place. I really don’t understand why those things get flagged, maybe because they think people might try to use it in a bad way. The people I know are proud of their heritage and use that word to describe themselves.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    I'm trying to upload my trans MTF Sim and gallery keeps rejecting the upload due to "disallowed word". Trans, the word is trans. Also, transgender is a naughty word.

    REALLY EA??? REALLY?

    So much for inclusion. Trans flag is ok but trans Sim isn't? I'm disgusted and angry. This is not acceptable! Maxis, you need to stop the transphobia right now.

    "Trans" simply means 'crossing over'. A Trans-Atlantic flight means crossing the Atlantic ocean. Trans-dimensional, going to another dimension. Transit, well... going somewhere or whatever.

    So no, I don't think the word "Trans" should be blocked. Transgender means changed gender. Or crossed-gender.

    It is odd that it's blocked.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png


  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,211 Member
    @The_Mercuria Let's hope it is a mistake!
    You can report the error here
    https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7583962/TS4-Gallery-Profanity-Filter-Feedback

    For the time being you could use the term MTF as that is a commonly understood term, and people will be using it to search for sims on the gallery too.
    Don't buy broken stuff
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,559 EA Community Manager
    I'm trying to upload my trans MTF Sim and gallery keeps rejecting the upload due to "disallowed word". Trans, the word is trans.

    REALLY EA??? REALLY?

    So much for inclusion. Trans flag is ok but trans Sim isn't? I'm disgusted and angry. This is not acceptable!

    Heya @The_Mercuria,

    Thanks for sharing this here. Please also be sure to report it via the link @simgirl1010 and @mightysprite shared above as well to alert the team that can look into this directly.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,128 Member
    Am I guessing correctly that the profanity filter on the gallery is different from the one on the forum? Or can you report oddities here too on the same link? I wrote quite a few post here before I realised that the word that starts with st- and ends with -upid was turned into those happy little frogs every time, which seems odd because it is not really that strong a word, especially when used in sentences such as "she would not let a ... war get in her way" where it cannot possibly be offensive. Can I report that too on that link or is there another place for that?
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,559 EA Community Manager
    JAL wrote: »
    Am I guessing correctly that the profanity filter on the gallery is different from the one on the forum? Or can you report oddities here too on the same link? I wrote quite a few post here before I realised that the word that starts with st- and ends with -upid was turned into those happy little frogs every time, which seems odd because it is not really that strong a word, especially when used in sentences such as "she would not let a ... war get in her way" where it cannot possibly be offensive. Can I report that too on that link or is there another place for that?

    Nope, I manage/inherited the profanity filter for this site. I'll get that fixed.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,128 Member
    @EA_Cade Thank you! Much appreciated.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,559 EA Community Manager
    Heya @The_Mercuria

    I've just confirmed that trans, transgender and (t)(r)(a)(n)(s) are not being filtered/blocked by the Gallery profanity filter.

    Could you share the entire text of what you're trying to upload so we can take a look?
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 1,009 Member
    I downloaded a sim from the Gallery a long time back (Miss Hell) and now every time I update the family I get a message saying I can't upload it to the Gallery (and I'm not intending to).
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,237 Member
    It's a good thing I save mine as robots, its & neutrals.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,256 Member
    At least it allows my name here . I couldn't on a another casual game I play. Gayle was censored LOL.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg
  • Options
    The_MercuriaThe_Mercuria Posts: 163 Member
    edited April 25
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Heya @The_Mercuria

    I've just confirmed that trans, transgender and (t)(r)(a)(n)(s) are not being filtered/blocked by the Gallery profanity filter.

    Could you share the entire text of what you're trying to upload so we can take a look?

    Heya, thanks for getting involved. This is what I currently have as her description:
    "Dahlia is my first MTF Sim. She's lovely and gracious, and has a great wardrobe! I'll upload a version that's base game too. "

    Originally it was going to be:
    "Dahlia is my first trans MTF Sim. She's lovely and gracious, and has a great wardrobe! I'll upload a version that's base game too."
    with the variations of 'trans'.

    This is the text on my base game version:
    "Dahlia is my first tr / @ / ns MTF Sim. She's lovely and gracious, and has a great wardrobe! She's base game compatible. For a multi-pack version search #mercuria"
    That's so awkward. LOL

    I haven't tried to upload her again to test anything but it's good that y'all are on it.

  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,067 Member
    Question for @EA_Cade Why Trans was an offensive word at first?
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,576 Member
    edited April 27
    Nevermind! I misread.

    EDIT: Okay maybe I didn’t misread.
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Heya @The_Mercuria

    I've just confirmed that trans, transgender and (t)(r)(a)(n)(s) are not being filtered/blocked by the Gallery profanity filter.

    Could you share the entire text of what you're trying to upload so we can take a look?

    Heya, thanks for getting involved. This is what I currently have as her description:
    "Dahlia is my first MTF Sim. She's lovely and gracious, and has a great wardrobe! I'll upload a version that's base game too. "

    Originally it was going to be:
    "Dahlia is my first trans MTF Sim. She's lovely and gracious, and has a great wardrobe! I'll upload a version that's base game too."
    with the variations of 'trans'.

    This is the text on my base game version:
    "Dahlia is my first tr / @ / ns MTF Sim. She's lovely and gracious, and has a great wardrobe! She's base game compatible. For a multi-pack version search #mercuria"
    That's so awkward. LOL

    I haven't tried to upload her again to test anything but it's good that y'all are on it.

    I don’t think that “Trans” is the trigger word. It’s possibly “MTF” as it can mean different things outside the context of your description.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    edited April 28
    "MTF" is an acronym that could stand for many things. That's the problem with acronyms.
    Examples of what "MTF" could mean:

    Modulation Transfer Function
    My Tractor Forum
    Monitoring The Future
    Move To Front
    More Than Friends
    Male To Female
    Medical Treatment Facility
    Multiple True-False
    Military Treatment Facility
    Memo To File
    Mobile Task Force
    Magnetized Target Fusion
    Mean Time to Failure
    Message Text Format
    Manual Transmission Fluid

    More To Follow...

    ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png


  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,105 Member
    edited April 28
    Oh yeah, maybe they think MTF is shorthand for a certain two-word insult.

    If not, another one for Admiral's list: Mother to Fdragons.

    EDIT: WAIT why are the dragons in my signature so huge now
    Did my love make them grow?
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 257 Member
    I see the main problem here being the reliance on that fool thing called AI and Algorythms.

    And @Gordy, that saying is usually shortened to 🐸🐸🐸🐸, which as all farmer folk know is a Massey Ferguson tractor.

    Now back to our normal station and programming.
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,559 EA Community Manager
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Question for @EA_Cade Why Trans was an offensive word at first?

    It never was.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    ValravnWitchValravnWitch Posts: 97 Member
    @The_Mercuria what's the sims last name? Could it be something in there?
  • Options
    acdoob18acdoob18 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @SheriSim57 said:
    > Try typing it in with a space between. I had made some Bohemian sims when the movie pack came out with a traveling wagon house and they wouldn’t let me use the word GYP sy’s, well they did at first, but when I played them for awhile and then tried to upload them to the gallery again, I had to change the name. I know people in real life who are proud to be called that. Their ancestors traveled from place to place. I really don’t understand why those things get flagged, maybe because they think people might try to use it in a bad way. The people I know are proud of their heritage and use that word to describe themselves.

    It's considered offensive to use the word 🐸🐸🐸🐸, because it's slang for someone who (gyps) you. Basically, a group of people who come through town and take people's money and then leave before they can get their money back. It's an insult. People in my area use it for pavers who travel up and down the east coast and do crappy jobs at discount and don't leave their phone numbers when the driveways begin to fall apart.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,711 Member
    acdoob18 wrote: »
    > @SheriSim57 said:
    > Try typing it in with a space between. I had made some Bohemian sims when the movie pack came out with a traveling wagon house and they wouldn’t let me use the word GYP sy’s, well they did at first, but when I played them for awhile and then tried to upload them to the gallery again, I had to change the name. I know people in real life who are proud to be called that. Their ancestors traveled from place to place. I really don’t understand why those things get flagged, maybe because they think people might try to use it in a bad way. The people I know are proud of their heritage and use that word to describe themselves.

    It's considered offensive to use the word 🐸🐸🐸🐸, because it's slang for someone who (gyps) you. Basically, a group of people who come through town and take people's money and then leave before they can get their money back. It's an insult. People in my area use it for pavers who travel up and down the east coast and do crappy jobs at discount and don't leave their phone numbers when the driveways begin to fall apart.


    Dude, that's not slang. The bad behavior was so constant that it got associated with the group of people in a bad way. Calling them by a different name is just re-branding, doesn't mean they will start doing a better job.
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,559 EA Community Manager
    Hey all,

    Not a huge update, but right now we're operating under the assumption that the "MTF" text triggered some version of "🐸🐸🐸🐸" filter and we're continuing to look into that.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,559 EA Community Manager
    Well then. Today I Learned that the profanity filter applies to me as well.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,559 EA Community Manager
    @The_Mercuria Good news! We identified the issue and resolved it now, you should be able to post your sim now with the text you were using originally. :)

    Thank you again for letting us know about this!

    For additional context, our assumption about "MTF" being viewed as an attempt to bypass the profanity filter that I shared above was indeed the culprit, and should no longer occur.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top