This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Automatic Holiday Bunting

The_MercuriaThe_Mercuria Posts: 163 Member
Y'all know the decorations that apply automatically to the outside of your house? How do I keep that from happening? I love the idea of decorating for holidays/seasons but I want to choose where it goes and how it looks.

Right now, on December 1, I have Valentine bunting on my fences and foundations. How does that even make sense?
Help me get rid of autogenerated outdoor deco please.

ETA: I just realized I'm in Spring in my game. That would explain the plethora of pink and red hearts. LOL
Post edited by The_Mercuria on

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,382 Member
    Prevent: When you create a holiday, uncheck the box that says "decoration". I think choosing "decorate" as a tradition is harmless. If you play with the premade holidays, you'll have to edit each of them.

Get rid of: Create a simple holiday with as little as 0 traditions. Make sure that the "decoration" box in the preparation screen is unchecked. After the holiday any stuck decorations should be gone.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    Prevent: When you create a holiday, uncheck the box that says "decoration". I think choosing "decorate" as a tradition is harmless. If you play with the premade holidays, you'll have to edit each of them.

Get rid of: Create a simple holiday with as little as 0 traditions. Make sure that the "decoration" box in the preparation screen is unchecked. After the holiday any stuck decorations should be gone.

That's good to know but I didn't create a holiday, Maxis stuck this bunting onto the exterior of houses such as fence and rooftops, and I've never seen a house decorated for a holiday or anything that's scheduled in the calendar.
    This never used to happen but I think it came with Seasons. I can't remember.

I'm in springtime in The Sims and I've got all this Valentine bunting stuck to my fence and I really don't want it there. So how do I turn off this Maxis setting? 😭
  • Options
    As I said, if you have the premade holidays in your game, you will need to edit them. You go to your calendar and click the pen icon on every single holiday. That lets you edit the holidays. There should be a check box reading "holiday decorations" somewhere in the upper right corner (near the "day off" checkboxes iirc). Now you uncheck that box.

That was the first step.

The second step is to create a placeholder holiday at the earliest day the game allows. Set a single tradition, for example cleaning. Make sure to have the "holiday decorations" box UNCHECKED. Wait for this holiday to run its course and afterwards the neighborhood should be free of Maxis deco.

Now the bad news:

You will most likely have to play this placeholder holiday in every affected neighborhood. It's a pain, but unfortunately the only reliable way :(
  • Options
    The holiday I have for the day my game is on is a football team sports day. There's no pencil to edit and I have hearts stuck to my fence.
    Tomorrow (game's tomorrow) is talent show - no pencil or even a way to delete it.

Two weeks in the Sim's future, there's Harvestfest which gives the option to decorate exteriors from the holiday storage box object.

I don't have a Valentine's holiday anywhere yet my house looks like a Cupid threw up on it. 🤣
  • Options
    Football game and talent show are safe holidays. Only those that came with Seasons will cause decorations popping up.

I'll take a screenshot to help you find the editing function. Or hopefully someone else will chime in who can explain it better.
  • Options
    Step by step visual guide to editing premade holidays

Open the calendar. It should look like this:

1gbiwl.png

2a6ciq.png

screenshot15116-kopiegjf8l.png

Repeat step six in every neighborhood that has stuck decorations. (I've had the pub covered in decos from three different holidays one time. It looked terrible.)

Note: It is normal that you don't see Love Day if it was just a couple of days ago. As time progresses, it should pop up again on the bottom of the calendar.
  • Options

Holy cow! This whole time I thought it was a Maxis thing rolling out to everyone. I can't believe they don't have a clear explanation of how to get rid of this stuff.

I never knew the decoration boxes were interactive, I build more than I play. I really appreciate your help and patience. I learned how to use a new toy!
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 985 Member
    edited December 2023
    Y'all know the decorations that apply automatically to the outside of your house? How do I keep that from happening? I love the idea of decorating for holidays/seasons but I want to choose where it goes and how it looks.

I am not sure how to change how the outdoor decorations look. From the docoration box you can choose to remove all decorations. Then you can take it from there.

You might even keep the existing outdoor decorations and add indoor decorations until that goal is fullfilled.

• Options

I am not sure how to change how the outdoor decorations look. From the docoration box you can choose to remove all decorations. Then you can take it from there.

You might even keep the existing outdoor decorations and add indoor decorations until that goal is fullfilled.

I honestly wanted to remove ALL decorations and then, when the attic box was mentioned, I learned how to decorate only portions of my exterior. I decorated the two most played households I have and didn't have to look at anything on the foundation, just the eaves and fences, exactly how I want it. I never knew I could choose from lights, bunting, whatever, to customize my houses. This makes me so happy!!!

• Options
    Holy cow! This whole time I thought it was a Maxis thing rolling out to everyone. I can't believe they don't have a clear explanation of how to get rid of this stuff.

I never knew the decoration boxes were interactive, I build more than I play. I really appreciate your help and patience. I learned how to use a new toy!

You're welcome. Have fun with your new toy (it's one of the highlights of the pack)!
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Do you play rotationally? If you do, and you play one household for a holiday and have them decorate, if you don't remember to have them manually take down the decorations (by interacting with the decoration box), then the next household you go to in that neighborhood will automatically have decorations up for the next holiday.

I just make sure that if my active household puts up decorations, they always take them down at the end of the night or the next morning, and then I never have that problem.
  • Options
    Oh, thanks for that tip! I'll be sure to use it!