Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things from older Sim Generation you DO NOT miss

Comments

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Toddlers drinking from the toilet. 😱

i must not have played the other games much i don't remember that.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,077 Member
    Toddlers drinking from the toilet. 😱

i must not have played the other games much i don't remember that.

I hated that. 😄 There's always talk about Sims 2 animations but after a while a lot of them just became annoying. I had so many no autonomous behavior mods in my game. Organized by pack.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 968 Member
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    That cow mascot knocking on your Sim's door at 3am screaming "Chowla!" just before finals in Sims 3. That was quite annoying.

Oh my llama, you just brought up the repressed memories I had of that miserable cow running around The Sims 2 pulling pranks on everybody. Add THAT to the list.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,256 Member
    Sims 2 sims dying the moment when theirvmeter hits zero
    Sims 2 personality points .The trait system is way better.
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 565 Member
    Most Sims 2 stuff packs being less value for your money than Sims 4 kits, even if you don't take inflation into account. Agree about most occults being pointless in the Sims 2. Not being able to multi-task. Having less control over aging.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,978 Member
    edited June 2023
    From Sims 2 (I didn't play sims 1 or 3)

Spend time on a community lot. Go home. No time has passed on home lot.

Townies don't age, so multiple generations of your played families play with the same children in elementary school and date the same teens in high school

You have to waste time playing played sims you're no longer interested in playing, just so they will age

No same-sex marriage, it was just that "commitment ceremony" nonsense

Friends come over to your house, play a musical instrument all night, never say hi or anything, then leave

I could go on. People rave about sims 2 gameplay but there were so many annoyances. These aren't even bugs, these are apparently all by design
  • Options
    Jotaerre3DJotaerre3D Posts: 954 Member
    edited June 2023
    I will never miss the disrespectful misrepresentation Ea did of people with African, Asian and/or mixed ethnic heritage in TS2, it always looked to me more like a tasteless mockery than a good representation of people with those roots, if you see Stephen & Wanda Tinker or Mary-Sue Pleasant and compare them with real people you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Feel free to call me J.R., all my friends call me in that way.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,256 Member
    Jotaerre3D wrote: »
    I will never miss the disrespectful misrepresentation Ea did of people with African, Asian and/or mixed ethnic heritage in TS2, it always looked to me more like a tasteless mockery than a good representation of people with those roots, if you see Stephen & Wanda Tinker or Mary-Sue Pleasant and compare them with real people you'll see what I'm talking about.

They look a bit sharing, but it dosen't scream disrespect.It was just limited graphics and cas.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited June 2023
    Having to care for the décor plants outside the home.
    Being restricted to one world unless going on vacation or mods
    The heart bed from TS1. I laughed when I saw it in pieces in that new kit.
    Townes not aging
    Time not moving if you were on a community lot
  • Options
    momelimberhammomelimberham Posts: 75 Member
    The music sting when a raccoon showed up in Sims1

I actually never had problems with burglars much, I read somewhere that the lawn flamingo wards them off and it always worked. But the Sims 1 burglar music sting just like the raccoon one... ugh.

People always dying on community lots in ts2. I think I had one lot that was just cursed, someone would always get struck by lightning on it. Haven't had anyone die on a lot in ts4 this whole time.

100000% having to rotate play with households to get everyone to age up. I like that sims 4 gives up the option to have the whole world age up but you CAN still do it the old way if you want.

The Platinum Aspiration from Sims 2 permanently changing that sim's plumbob to platinum so you couldn't tell right away if their needs were low.

Definitely don't miss needing friends for promotions. At least it was HOUSEHOLD friends, so you could have your other sims work on friendships while the employed sim was at work. But I always had my sims pick the least social jobs so they wouldn't need as many friends to get high in the promotion chain.

Very limited color options for clothing from ts1 and ts2! I mean some of the stuff in 4 still doesn't have many swatches, but I feel like most the clothes in 2 only had like 3 swatches. And of course in 1 it was one color per outfit (I think maybe the colors were different if you picked a different skin tone?). People complain about there not being a color wheel in 4 but it's way better than it was in 1 and 2.
    Can one awkward man find love when nobody knows what he looks like? Check out Joe Baghead season 1
  • Options
    Jotaerre3DJotaerre3D Posts: 954 Member
    edited June 2023
    They look a bit sharing, but it dosen't scream disrespect.It was just limited graphics and cas.

@Horrorgirl6 when I created my sims, I had a lot less graphics and experience than them and only had a basegame's bodyshop to make them, but I think my results, not being perfect at all, are a lot better and respectful than theirs, maybe because I gave my chars something that no corporation can give, love.

Images are raw, the only poswtwork I did, was cut them from their wider screenshots.

6xCWiGL.jpg

8xyWx7I.jpg

Cc91XE8.jpg

Feel free to call me J.R., all my friends call me in that way.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,468 Member
    - having to try days in a row to get the job I want for my sims (sims 1 and 2)
    - not being able to edit townies (sims 1 and 2)
    - being stuck in one world and not able to travel back and forth between worlds from different packs
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 968 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    - having to try days in a row to get the job I want for my sims (sims 1 and 2)
    - not being able to edit townies (sims 1 and 2)
    - being stuck in one world and not able to travel back and forth between worlds from different packs

You could sort of modify townies if you had Open for Business, and a Sim who had the makeup chair. I used that more than a few times! The other part of your comment made me remember I used to have some kind of hacked object so I could just choose from any one of the careers. The one merit of being forced to go through the newspaper and computer (which gave you 3 options instead of 1, as I remember) was that it added a little to your Sims's story -- their having to defer their dreams, or develop skills they wouldn't otherwise have done because they needed the money.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    NPC sims not aging up with natural story progression (TS2)
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    The difficulty of The Sims 1. Like I remember making relationships was so difficult and sims would complain and not do anything if needs were too low. This seriously turned me off from doing anything but building for a long time.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Not being able to visit your neighbors in Sims 1 and 2. Coming over to someone's home in TS3 was a game changer for me. Especially when I had my sim stay over at his girlfriend's house
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 893 Member
    In sims 2 the things that bothered me I don't miss was having to have your sims manually turn off the computer before you could put it in their inventory and having to have them manually skip a song or tune to a different station on the radio, if they were doing anything else you had to stop them and then they would go do it. I don't miss not being able to move the stereo when it is on in the Sims 3. I have to have them turn it off before the game would let me move it. This object is in use message drove me up a wall.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,347 Member
    edited July 2023
    NPC fights every 5 minutes in The Sims 2. However it was very nice to see them to be mean with their rival/enemy.
  • Options
    PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    No day offs in TS1. Nope, never again.
  • Options
    Miahaglund44Miahaglund44 Posts: 3 New Member
    I remember loving Sims 2, cause I had a ton of mods and stuff, skin, eyes, clothes, furnitures, everything in different styles. Medieval, historical, etc. and hiders, for ingame stuff.
    But as you mention visiting wasn't easy in other n-hoods, I tested three or four versions, including UBER-hood om MTS2 with all 3 n-hoods in one big thing. And you were able too add the others as shoppingdistrikts. But my game broke down when I tried to play them.
    I want to do the medieval/historical thing again, searching my old sims 2 DLs as we speak. but I will not have a DL-folder bigger then 7 gig, it all lag a lot then. I downloaded a lot of fixes, and used simblender at simbology too. the rotational play was doable if you play legacys.

Sims3 came with the design-tool. I love it, still do. The open world is great too, bigger worlds lags more, but I build more then play, cause I want everything to match... off course I downloaded many beautifull things to Sims 3 too, and mods and fixes.

Sims 4 is fun too, I started play daily when the toddlers came, before that it was boring... Cause I love toddlers in Sims! so the new life stage before toddler is a great thing according to me at least. the CAS I love, I can make the form of my sim that I like.

In all sims games there are to little variations in hairstyles, I often download different hairstyles, clothes, skintones and eyes. And makeup.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    Fairies
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,105 Member
    I like some of the things other people don't miss. :D I like the simplicity of Sims 2 Aliens. I wish I could delete the disguise like the vampire dark form because I never use it, and I wish there was a toggle to turn off the whole "discovered an alien" thing. I don't want to be surprised, I don't want to have trouble finding an alien if I want one, and I don't like how it can ruin a relationship that was perfect in one second. And I've never used alien powers.

I also like that other Sims don't age in Sims 2 because I'm a control freak, but I am glad they gave us a toggle for that for people who want aging. Hopefully that's how it will be implemented in the future too.

I don't miss routing failures. It's weird seeing Sims walk through walls, furniture, and each other, but it's better than the constant hand waving and canceling of queued actions because they can't walk around something.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    • Astrology signs are very stupid and I'm glad it's gone.
    • Needing to buy groceries from the fridge in order to cook items.
    • Job hunting. You don't need to get a job from looking at a newspaper anymore, you can just click apply for any job you like and bam you get it.
    • Gender restrictions being lifted. I love cross dressing.
    • "Comfort" as a need is idiotic and I'm glad they removed it.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,105 Member
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    • Astrology signs are very stupid and I'm glad it's gone.
    • Needing to buy groceries from the fridge in order to cook items.
    • Job hunting. You don't need to get a job from looking at a newspaper anymore, you can just click apply for any job you like and bam you get it.
    • Gender restrictions being lifted. I love cross dressing.
    • "Comfort" as a need is idiotic and I'm glad they removed it.

I missed needing to buy groceries and am glad they added the lot trait. All my lots use it.

As for the others, definitely! It was especially aggravating how it would sometimes take days for the job you wanted to come up.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    wickerpeachwickerpeach Posts: 16 Member
    sims 1
    scary fast need decay
    no weekends
    no aging
    no family relations

sims 2
    need decay a bit better but still pretty tough
    no way to customize lifespan
    no young adults outside of uni
    being stuck with the alien baby after an abduction

sims 3
    performance issues
    way lazier car animations compared to sims 2
    pudding faces

also, in the sims 4, toddlers are SO MUCH EASIER TO DEAL WITH!! the fact that they can grab food and go to sleep by themselves? what??? if you had told me that back in 2008 it would've blown my mind