This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Toddlers make the game harder?

«1
So I love that they changed the toddlers and made then more complex but my goodness it's a lot of work! My first time having them I ended up with twins and I'm finding it surprisingly difficult :( I wanted to try get as much done as possible before the new pack arrives but I find I keep quitting the game as trying to hold down a job and teach the toddlers everything seems impossible :s

Any advice?

Comments

  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    Twins make it exponentially harder. When it's getting too hard for me, i abandon the high chair and let them eat out of the fridge by themselves. That cuts way down on the care time and workload.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Toddlers can eat out of the fridge!? I drag the plate of food in front of them so they just grab it
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    You can shift click and cheat them happy (if you use cheats). I do this from time to time when I take shoots for my stories and it's too stressful otherwise.
    Before you stop playing because it's no fun anymore, maybe think about if it's really that important that they have all the skills and just age them up? Play the way you have the most fun.
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 916 Member
    Infants/Toddlers can be a challenge.
    I tend to try and have adults outnumber them, so at least one of them can take care of them. Otherwise, my Sims do their stuff when the kids take a nap. Or have parents take a nap, and an aunt/uncle will step in to take care of the babies/toddlers in the meantime. Most of my new parent Sims are working from home as well, especially if they are single parents. That way they are close by to take care of toddlers, as well as not over exerting themselves. Twins and triplets make it a bit harder.
    When I do have my fill of infants/toddlers, I have my Sims bake a cake, and age them up to the next stage.
  • Options
    Ninja-Dan22Ninja-Dan22 Posts: 118 Member
    I recently had twin toddlers AND twin infants at the same time, I found I could ignore the toddlers apart from food becuase they could fill each others social need. I certainly couldn't focus on anything other than childcare though!
  • Options
    SweetBexiSweetBexi Posts: 148 Member
    Thanks everyone, I really wanted to try and experience as much as I could with the new toddlers but I think I might just age them up and try again later on and hopefully only have the 1 :D I love family play but with a single mum and even thr grandparents staying over it's just too overwhelming :D
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 490 Member
    Toddler tips!

    I never put a toddler in a high chair. Put the plate of food on the floor or on a counter/table and they can grab it and eat sitting on the floor or on a couch. Actually, I like to keep one chair slightly pulled away from the dining table so they can sit there while everyone else is at the table.

    In a pinch or when travelling, put some produce in their inventory and they can eat that.

    One toddler can watch another being potty trained and gain potty skill that way.

    Toddlers can gain thinking still just from watching other sims. This is a lifesaver if you don't have time to actively teach them the thinking skill, and then once they reach level 2, they can finally use the blocks to continue raising their thinking skill.

    My toddlers always have a tablet in their inventory. It's not the fastest way to gain skills, but it comes in handy when you just need to keep them occupied.

    If a toddler wakes up crying at night and you don't have time (or patience) to deal with it, they can nap on their bed instead. By the time they wake up from the nap, the sleep option will be available again.

    Anyone else have more tips?
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    SweetBexiSweetBexi Posts: 148 Member
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    Toddler tips!

    I never put a toddler in a high chair. Put the plate of food on the floor or on a counter/table and they can grab it and eat sitting on the floor or on a couch. Actually, I like to keep one chair slightly pulled away from the dining table so they can sit there while everyone else is at the table.

    In a pinch or when travelling, put some produce in their inventory and they can eat that.

    One toddler can watch another being potty trained and gain potty skill that way.

    Toddlers can gain thinking still just from watching other sims. This is a lifesaver if you don't have time to actively teach them the thinking skill, and then once they reach level 2, they can finally use the blocks to continue raising their thinking skill.

    My toddlers always have a tablet in their inventory. It's not the fastest way to gain skills, but it comes in handy when you just need to keep them occupied.

    If a toddler wakes up crying at night and you don't have time (or patience) to deal with it, they can nap on their bed instead. By the time they wake up from the nap, the sleep option will be available again.

    Anyone else have more tips?

    This is amazing! Thank you so much!
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 5,028 Member
    Another tip.

    Nightlights can help preventing nightmares (the same nightlights that keep monsters away from under your child's beds), at least Parenthood nightlights. After that, I almost never had to deal with nightmares again (and monsters under the bed for children).
  • Options
    Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    So I love that they changed the toddlers and made then more complex but my goodness it's a lot of work! My first time having them I ended up with twins and I'm finding it surprisingly difficult :( I wanted to try get as much done as possible before the new pack arrives but I find I keep quitting the game as trying to hold down a job and teach the toddlers everything seems impossible :s

    Any advice?

    Well, with toddlers, I figure any problem(s) can be solved with CAKE lol.
    Cake is the be-all, end-all solution of problems with life stages 😝
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    SweetBexiSweetBexi Posts: 148 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Another tip.

    Nightlights can help preventing nightmares (the same nightlights that keep monsters away from under your child's beds), at least Parenthood nightlights. After that, I almost never had to deal with nightmares again (and monsters under the bed for children).

    OMG! What lights are these?? I swear I buy packs and never fully get into them. I'm forever having monsters under the bed :s
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited July 2023
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Another tip.

    Nightlights can help preventing nightmares (the same nightlights that keep monsters away from under your child's beds), at least Parenthood nightlights. After that, I almost never had to deal with nightmares again (and monsters under the bed for children).

    OMG! What lights are these?? I swear I buy packs and never fully get into them. I'm forever having monsters under the bed :s

    There’s a BG, not every pack comes with one. It’s a wall light and the description mentions protecting kids while sleeping.
    Not my post but the only pic I’ve been able to find of it
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comments/scl6d2/this_is_the_night_light_that_gets_rid_of_monsters/
    There are others from other packs but I don’t know their names. Check thru the wall lights description and it’ll tell you if it’s good for kids
  • Options
    FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,073 Member
    Get a butler. I have two households and both had twins and then another baby while the twins were still infants. It was a nightmare until I got a butler. He was a real gem. He didn't do much in the way of butler work - never could get him to open the door to visitors - but he was a wonderful nanny.
  • Options
    SweetBexiSweetBexi Posts: 148 Member
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Another tip.

    Nightlights can help preventing nightmares (the same nightlights that keep monsters away from under your child's beds), at least Parenthood nightlights. After that, I almost never had to deal with nightmares again (and monsters under the bed for children).

    OMG! What lights are these?? I swear I buy packs and never fully get into them. I'm forever having monsters under the bed :s

    There’s a BG, not every pack comes with one. It’s a wall light and the description mentions protecting kids while sleeping.
    Not my post but the only pic I’ve been able to find of it
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comments/scl6d2/this_is_the_night_light_that_gets_rid_of_monsters/
    There are others from other packs but I don’t know their names. Check thru the wall lights description and it’ll tell you if it’s good for kids

    Thank you! Oddly enough in an older save I used this light in a room with toddlers and they were all amazing (back when they were easier lol)
  • Options
    SweetBexiSweetBexi Posts: 148 Member
    Figwit wrote: »
    Get a butler. I have two households and both had twins and then another baby while the twins were still infants. It was a nightmare until I got a butler. He was a real gem. He didn't do much in the way of butler work - never could get him to open the door to visitors - but he was a wonderful nanny.

    I don't know if I can get a butler, didn't that come with a certain pack? I'll have to go on and look. My Sim was a relatively rich Vet practice owner before the twins came along
  • Options
    Ninja-Dan22Ninja-Dan22 Posts: 118 Member
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    I don't know if I can get a butler, didn't that come with a certain pack? I'll have to go on and look. My Sim was a relatively rich Vet practice owner before the twins came along

    Butlers came with the vintage glamour stuff pack. There's also the nanny in basegame but they don't tend to do much lol. If she has an active career (vet), couldn't you just follow her to work and leave the todds at 'daycare'? (I haven't played the vet career before, not entirely sure how it works!). I used active careers to get some time away from all the twins myself haha.
  • Options
    Princess of Da'varhPrincess of Da'varh Posts: 344 Member
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    So I love that they changed the toddlers and made then more complex but my goodness it's a lot of work! My first time having them I ended up with twins and I'm finding it surprisingly difficult :( I wanted to try get as much done as possible before the new pack arrives but I find I keep quitting the game as trying to hold down a job and teach the toddlers everything seems impossible :s

    Any advice?

    Welcome to parenting XD

    Definitely let the kids feed themselves otherwise it is a lot of extra stuff your Sim has to do. Plus it's really cute seeing them eat out of the fridge lol 😋

    If all else fails, you could put them up for adoption😈
  • Options
    SweetBexiSweetBexi Posts: 148 Member
    Thank you everyone! So I've tried and tackled them a little more. I can't used things like the tablets? Are my toddlers broken because I can't select the skills section :s

  • Options
    SweetBexiSweetBexi Posts: 148 Member
    Oh my goodness! I am so stupid :D I've just realised my twins are still infants :D I couldn't understand why nothing for toddlers was working. I'm an absolute muppet :#
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    Oh my goodness! I am so stupid :D I've just realised my twins are still infants :D I couldn't understand why nothing for toddlers was working. I'm an absolute muppet :#

    You're not! We've had years with this game where infants were just interactable bassinets that took up a space in the family head count. Now that babies do stuff, the distinction between them and toddlers isn't as instantly clear.

    When they do age up, I'll add on one more suggestion. Have someone with the Fresh Chef trait donate a bunch of food platters. 12 servings of spaghetti that can sit out anywhere and never go bad is a lifesaver with toddlers in the house.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    Princess of Da'varhPrincess of Da'varh Posts: 344 Member
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    Oh my goodness! I am so stupid :D I've just realised my twins are still infants :D I couldn't understand why nothing for toddlers was working. I'm an absolute muppet :#

    It's a learning curve and don't worry, we've all been there! 😋
    I've been caught out like that so many times lol fun part of the Sims 😁
  • Options
    Ninja-Dan22Ninja-Dan22 Posts: 118 Member
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    Oh my goodness! I am so stupid :D I've just realised my twins are still infants :D I couldn't understand why nothing for toddlers was working. I'm an absolute muppet :#

    No wonder they were such hard work!
  • Options
    SweetBexiSweetBexi Posts: 148 Member
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    Oh my goodness! I am so stupid :D I've just realised my twins are still infants :D I couldn't understand why nothing for toddlers was working. I'm an absolute muppet :#

    You're not! We've had years with this game where infants were just interactable bassinets that took up a space in the family head count. Now that babies do stuff, the distinction between them and toddlers isn't as instantly clear.

    When they do age up, I'll add on one more suggestion. Have someone with the Fresh Chef trait donate a bunch of food platters. 12 servings of spaghetti that can sit out anywhere and never go bad is a lifesaver with toddlers in the house.

    Thank you! Honestly I completely forgot that these guys were still infants and now realising just how much was added to the infants which is great! But my goodness they are a lot of work!
    Thank you for the chef tip! Sounds like I might need it :D
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    Oh my goodness! I am so stupid :D I've just realised my twins are still infants :D I couldn't understand why nothing for toddlers was working. I'm an absolute muppet :#

    It's a learning curve and don't worry, we've all been there! 😋
    I've been caught out like that so many times lol fun part of the Sims 😁

    This has definitely been a learning curve! I can't believe how much the infants stage has! Lol. At least now I know my poor Sim mother isn't failing, bless her. I've always struggled to get into the sims 4 fully but these latest additions are really my kind of style!
    SweetBexi wrote: »
    Oh my goodness! I am so stupid :D I've just realised my twins are still infants :D I couldn't understand why nothing for toddlers was working. I'm an absolute muppet :#

    No wonder they were such hard work!

    You're not kidding! Lol! I only hope once those 2 are older and I decide to add other (not for a while now lol) that I might get lucky and just have 1!
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 360 Member
    I often buy the "free services" trait in the Rewards Store, and hire a nanny to help with them.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,215 Member
    I can share your pain I’m currently playing a single sim with 4 infants it’s a challenge already. 1 infant was easy so I decided to up the number 😬
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top