Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Important - how do you pronounce 'Live mode'

Comments

• SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Since like Sims 2 days me & everyone I knew among friends & family said live as in alive. Even once I started watching Sims 3 videos on youtube I always heard people saying it like this. Lately I've seen a couple Sims 4 youtubers calling it the other way, but that's new to me. IMO it's always been like "you can pause, you can fast forward, and now we're live" for live mode.
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I pronounce it as "alive", an interesting question as I've never really given it much thought. :D
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited January 2023
    Live - as in 'alive'
    press button = game starts moving = is live

I do not live in the game
    well yet anyway maybe in year 4000 when they hook me up to some machine and transfer my long dead brain over to the virtual world
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited January 2023
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I started playing with Sims 1 and live (hive) just seemed right to me. Maybe, because growing up, live was more of a thing. Live radio, live tv, live shows. Going to live mode after having the game paused for any reason made sense. I've heard people use it in Sims and other games for years. The first time I ever heard anyone say live (give) was last year. I don't watch a lot of YouTube.

Googling the question and reading the answers here makes me think that it's maybe a 60/40 split in favor of the long i among players. I wonder what Will Wright called it?

At any rate, I've been saying live (hive) for 23 years, too long to change it now. It sounds too weird to me.

Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I have always said "live" to rhyme with "alive" in the 20 plus years I have been playing The Sims games.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I go by proper English grammar/usage. In this context, live rhyming with alive & hive. They are two different words, thus the two different pronunciations.

This right here. For anyone who's actually well-grounded in English grammar (I know -- thing of the past, I guess), "live," that sounds like "alive," is an adjective. "Live," that sounds like "give," is a verb. Adjectives are descriptive modifiers for nouns, verbs describe some manner of action. So the natural (according to English grammar) word to modify/describe the "mode" would be "live," the adjective, which sounds like "alive."
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Oh, I know what Ninja says, but live (give) sounds oh so wrong, so I'm sayin' live (jive dive into the hive - high five!) and he can't make me. I'll defend this hill with @EA_Cade. B)
    #Team Occult
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    both - this is the wrong answer
    I always said (a)live mode until I started interacting more with and watching videos of other simmers and learned that so many say live (laugh love). Now I find myself saying them both.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I thought everyone pronounces it like live in New York it's Saturday night.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited January 2023
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,103 Member
    Live - as in 'live, laugh, love'
    I've never really thought about it, but I guess I would call it Live Mode as in Live your life. There doesn't seem to be a definite right or wrong answer though.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2023
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I pronounce it like “live” in “alive”. Like the Sims are like a live studio audience that is going “on live”/“see it on live”, like being present on a tv studio set while the show is recording.

I think of it like with being a director with the camera mode in that I’m “recording” my sims in a live studio. (Or like a live reality show, lol.)

(I pronounce it that same way in “livestream” as well.)
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    Live mode bc the other modes (build, and Create) are verbs too.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    ^ Thank you @Luxury . Well put.
    gen3-banner.png
  • jadetchijadetchi Posts: 60 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Never considered it being said another way, huh. Interesting.
    b8xtb7d56xd3.png
  • FrancesWeryFrancesWery Posts: 56 Member
    This ranks right up there with the "which way to hang the toilet paper" discussion. :D

I say it like alive, live like hive sounds funny to me. Obviously YMMV
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    I say both and it isn't wrong it is called being an agent of chaos so there :p
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member

I clicked on that "live" by mistake in this vote, because I always think of it as though my little guys "are live" and playable, but this actually makes 100% sense. I'll still stick to how I say it naturally in my head though.
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • Branwen84Branwen84 Posts: 40 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    > @Chicklet453681 said:
    > I say "Live" - (rhymes with Hive" mode, as in you're Live and On the Air. Like you are the director of a movie production. I play characters and tell their story, I don't play simself, so I don't "live" in the game.

This - my sim isn't me, she's herself.
    Live - as in 'alive'
    > @WildIrishBanshee said:
    > Live as in five, not live as in give. Been that way since Sims 1, not gonna change it now lmao. Live (give) makes zero sense, grammatically speaking and otherwise - when we play, we are playing in live (five) mode, as the sims are doing their thing - they live (give) in a house, not on my screen! Pretty sure it was pronounced live (five) back then too, not this new live (give) thing. But that's a long time for me to remember back to lol.

And also this - Sims aren't self-aware, but even if they were, they probably still wouldn't be aware of living in a simulation.
    edited April 2023
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I tend to think of mine the same way. They are like little puppets in my play, they aren't me. Maybe that's why I don't get attached to them in general. I play a legacy, but with each new heir, I have a story I want to tell and I don't feel bad if that involves things like killing Sims off.

I have one Sim that I've had for over three years that I'm attached to, but it has more to do with all the aspirations she's completed, all the money she has, and how her being over 500 days fits nicely into my story telling then that it's her. She's the Sim that helps all my other Sims when they need money or someone with a high skill to help them out.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited April 2023
    It's abundantly clear that the only correct way to pronounce it is live rhyming with give.

l2929g7gnozc.png

Since Sims 1, the developers meant the three modes as to build, to buy, and to live. The parallelism makes this obvious. Moreover, live pronounced like alive doesn't make sense as it's NOT a live TV broadcast...you can pause and fast forward...definitely not live like alive!

Live like alive isn't an alternative, it's just incorrect. :smile:
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    Live - as in 'alive'
    It's abundantly clear that the only correct way to pronounce it is live rhyming with give.

l2929g7gnozc.png

Since Sims 1, the developers meant the three modes as to build, to buy, and to live. The parallelism makes this obvious. Moreover, live pronounced like alive doesn't make sense as it's NOT a live TV broadcast...you can pause and fast forward...definitely not live like alive!

... uh, what? Live like give only makes sense if you have a simself. So you're basically telling us that there's only one right way to play, and all of us who choose live like five/hive are playing the wrong way? Even though we're by far the majority??
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited April 2023
    Branwen84 wrote: »

l2929g7gnozc.png

... uh, what? Live like give only makes sense if you have a simself. So you're basically telling us that there's only one right way to play, and all of us who choose live like five/hive are playing the wrong way? Even though we're by far the majority??

1) I was being tongue-in-cheek. It's a silly, low-stakes debate.
    2) The majority of people pronounce it the correct, official way as in "give." I notice that this small thread has an unusual amount of people who say it like "alive"
    3) "there's only one right way to play" No, this is a silly ongoing debate on pronunciation, not about telling people how to play the game.

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Within that context, Live (give) is definitely correct. It's the same tense as the other two words. Build, Buy, Live!

But within the game, I think there's wiggle room for us to all be correct, because the games are ours. You see build mode, buy mode, and live mode. I see build mode, buy mode, and live (as apposed to paused) mode.

Interestingly, the Sims on console art (for the one I had) says "Create your Sims", "Build their world", "Control their lives" instead.