Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your Island Living Rating

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Also, (and this is just a personal gripe) I wish there wasen't so much foot traffic on the natural island. I'd love to play a castaway or amazon challenge there but the random townies kind of ruin the feel.

You can use the private dwelling lot trait to prevent this, I think :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • NivyxNivyx Posts: 244 Member
    edited June 2019
    I was debating between 8-9, just because we can’t run resorts like in the sims 3.

Edit: Also no houseboats.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I don’t have it yet but am getting it today when I get home. I am very excited to play it. I’ll come back with a rating later 😁.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Alright I’ve played for a minute now. This may change over time but for right now it’s an 8.

CAS: wow! One of the best CAS guys out there for sims. I even found that I feel a lot of it is super versatile because of the plain colors on a lot of the clothing. The hairs are just incredible. There is a good amount for toddlers and kids compared to other packs. I give it a 10/10.

BB: another wow. Everything in it is beautiful and really well done. My building ideas are stacking up and I can’t wait to really build around with this expansion. I also feel like what style the did use goes well with other packs. I love love the wicker furniture. 10/10.

World: um can I live I Sulani? I never want my sim to leave it’s so incredible and I love how different it feels to the rest of the worlds. I love that the sims within Sulani aren’t random other world townies and that it is more separate. It’s the only world I can see myself sending sims to “vacation” in and I love that. I love that I can live there and never leave too lol. 100/10 😆

Gameplay: overall I think there is some fun stuff we can do here but I do have to agree it isn’t a ton. I feel like there is a big gameplay component missing already and I’ve only played a couple of hours. Do not get me wrong I love what we got just wish there was a little more to do. I will admit I have barely done anything so far besides a few new interactions and world exploration. I plan on using the new career with my new sims child who wants to see the world more clean and beautiful. I haven’t touched mermaids but I plan on doing so for sure. I just can’t find anything really big to do and am just kind of playing around right now. I love this pack for sure but I think the big game item is the world and I don’t know how to feel about that. I do love it though I really am enjoying myself. 7/10

I 100 percent adore this pack and do not regret paying full price. I honestly have seen so little in my game so far that I am just not sure what to think of the gameplay portion. Do I think it’s more gamepack like? Absolutely not. I think it’s worth it completely. I prefer it right now to sims 3 island living where I was completely bored in a day and I always really wanted to like that pack. I do not find myself bored. A little lost yes but bored not at all. I’m playing rags to riches on the volcano island which has been a fun experience in less than 48 sim hours. My sim is struggling and I’m having fun watching that. I’m squealing over everything happening in my game right now like when she gets in the ocean to swim lol. I’m working on fishing and living off the land which is really cool and different. Yay for off the grid. So far so good just a bit bummed there isn’t a huge gameplay thing besides the island itself.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    It’s ok as a pack it’s not my favourite ep but not my least favourite ep it seems to have caused a bit of lag in my game that I didn’t have before and for some reason dolphins keep going invisible but I like the world, build buy stuff and mermaids
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    You can use the private dwelling lot trait to prevent this, I think :)

Yes, but it only keeps sims from visiting your home lot, and I am currently using it. But there are still conservationists running around along with some islanders and anti-environmentalists. I'd like to use the whole natural island for my game, but in the middle of what is suppose to be a few sims stranded on a distant island, a sim in conservationist gear just comes strolling along. :D

It's not a big deal, but I wish there was a way to shut off walk bys. Maybe someone will make a mod.
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2019
    There are both pros and cons with this pack.

Pros:
    -The world is stunning. It is small but still mostly playable. Swimable oceans!!
    -The CAS is full and gorgeous. I love, love, love both the clothes, the hairs and the new tattoos. Everything is so well made and versatile.
    -The BB is beautiful and detailed. Again very versatile. I am going to get so much use out of these items. We finally have loungers and pool floats. I also love the ladder.
    -I love the little details. Sand can be used anywhere. Toddlers can play in the shallow water. Dogs can swim in the ocean. Monsoon storms and Mermaids.

Cons:
    -The world is still small. It does not feel as claustrophobic as Del Sol Valley but I need more lots. It needs both more community lots and some larger lots. The fake buildings and backdrops are restrictive to story telling. I am not a fan of all the fake buildings that I can not visit or edit.
    -The conservation career is not my favorite. I am on level 8 and it is slow and feels very grindy. It is also hard to take a vacation day because the work options disappear to quickly.
    -Many little details are lacking. Some things feel unfinished or have missing animations. Napping on lounge chairs is an example. The festivals feel incomplete and unfinished so I am confused as to their purpose.

Missed opportunities:
    -There is not much for sims to do. I love the world but an Expansion Pack needs to have more then just pretty things. I love the items and clothes included but I also want more for my sims to do. I do not want expansions turning into giant stuff packs.

-I love the boats but I would like to be able to take a couple or small family out on the boat. Imagine cuddling on the boat in the middle of the ocean while under the stars.

-The biggest missed opportunity is the natural island area. It would have been the perfect place for castaway stories, a crazy hermit or just a family wanting a private island life. It is too crowded with sims. I would like to be able to shut them out of this area completely. The private dwelling trait only works to keep sims off of specific lots. It does not stop the invasion of conservationists and litter bugs that plague the area.
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    edited June 2019
    Still have yet to purchase, but things I am excited about: odd jobs, corrugated metal roofing, volcanic activity lot trait.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    michelei wrote: »
    There are both pros and cons with this pack.

Pros:
    -The world is stunning. It is small but still mostly playable. Swimable oceans!!
    -The CAS is full and gorgeous. I love, love, love both the clothes, the hairs and the new tattoos. Everything is so well made and versatile.
    -The BB is beautiful and detailed. Again very versatile. I am going to get so much use out of these items. We finally have loungers and pool floats. I also love the ladder.
    -I love the little details. Sand can be used anywhere. Toddlers can play in the shallow water. Dogs can swim in the ocean. Monsoon storms and Mermaids.

Cons:
    -The world is still small. It does not feel as claustrophobic as Del Sol Valley but I need more lots. It needs both more community lots and some larger lots. The fake buildings and backdrops are restrictive to story telling. I am not a fan of all the fake buildings that I can not visit or edit.
    -The conservation career is not my favorite. I am on level 8 and it is slow and feels very grindy. It is also hard to take a vacation day because the work options disappear to quickly.
    -Many little details are lacking. Some things feel unfinished or have missing animations. Napping on lounge chairs is an example. The festivals feel incomplete and unfinished so I am confused as to their purpose.

Missed opportunities:
    -There is not much for sims to do. I love the world but an Expansion Pack needs to have more then just pretty things. I love the items and clothes included but I also want more for my sims to do. I do not want expansions turning into giant stuff packs.

-I love the boats but I would like to be able to take a couple or small family out on the boat. Imagine cuddling on the boat in the middle of the ocean while under the stars.

-The biggest missed opportunity is the natural island area. It would have been the perfect place for castaway stories, a crazy hermit or just a family wanting a private island life. It is too crowded with sims. I would like to be able to shut them out of this area completely. The private dwelling trait only works to keep sims off of specific lots. It does not stop the invasion of conservationists and litter bugs that plague the area.

@michelei said

I am unhappy to hear this I love the sailboat and was looking forward to taking my Sims couples and families out in the boats.
    Sims is rarely a single player game, I do not understand why they would give us beautiful boats that we can not have our couples and families go out together in them. Very disappointing. :(
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • RebeccaLynnRebeccaLynn Posts: 79 Member
    Could be better, could be worse.

The world is amazing, but there are a lot of bugs right now.

I think when the kinks are worked out it could be a solid 8, but right now it’s like a 6.5 to me.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    michelei wrote: »

I agree. It make me hope neighborhood traits will someday be a thing, cause than I could choose to make it an isolated neighborhood.
  • TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    edited June 2019
    I'm going to break this down into sections before I give an all around score;

World: 9

Sulani is a beautiful world. The Sims team has an amazing habit of giving us beautiful worlds, and Sulani is no different. I like the amount of lots we were given and the sizes because while the world itself isn't huge, it gives me enough room to build community lots if I choose while still having room for families. I had no issues with undersea diving and houseboats not being added. As much as I loved those two additions in TS3 Island Paradise, the lag that came with it was annoying. So unless the team finds a work around, I don't want them in my game. My one gripe is the cave. I'm not opposed to rabbit holes being used in game play (i.e. work, school, holiday celebrations etc.) but it was pretty disappointing learning that the cave didn't lead to a mermaid grotto. There's a map on the wall next to the map that you complete, but that's it. There's nothing beyond that. I read the reasoning behind secret lots no longer being made was due to players not using them, and while I do understand not wanting to spend time or money on something you weren't sure would succeed as evidenced with past iterations, I don't think that would have been the case here. It would have been perfect addition to this world and I believe it was a missed opportunity. It just feels like it was left out at the last minute. I really think this should be something added in an upcoming patch like Newcrest was, or is added on Realm of Magic is released.

CAS Items/Build&Buy Mode: 8

The CAS items that came with this pack are amazing! Everything was so well done, and I was particularly impressed with the hairs released. Those have been the best collection of CAS hair I have seen since TS4 dropped. However, the items for males, children, and toddlers was still lacking, with toddlers not getting much at all. Same with the Build/Buy items. What we were given was beautifully executed, but it did lack certain items like island counters, and I would have loved more wall decorations. Not only that, but the sunscreen you buy isn't usable. I don't know if that was an oversight or if it is just meant to be a decorative bottle, but I see no point in its addition if we can't put it in our Sims inventory for personal use when sunbathing.

Mermaids: 8

I. LOVE. MERMAIDS. Hands down my favorite occult in and out of the Sims. That said, they could've been fleshed out a little more. I would have loved it if they had a power tree like vampires, even if it wasn't as expansive. There should be a power tier when it comes to mermaids. I'd love to see something like that added in the future.

New Careers/Activities: 7

I am happy that we finally were given the ability to give our adult Sims part-time jobs, it adds some realism to the game. Lifeguards should've been an interactive job though, much like the ones in GTW. I do love the new activities. I've had my Sims sunbathing and swimming in the ocean for the last week. I liked that the Sims team introduced a new system where we can clean up the island and that affects how the island looks, something that should be added to all the worlds in my opinion, or in the next generation. I'd like the jet skis and boats more if they weren't meant as single Sim use. I would have loved to take my Sims on a romantic boat ride.

Sulani Culture: ... Where's the rest of it?

We have ancestor spirits, banana leaf pits to cook, festivals...at some point, but where is the rest of it? Where is the dance that is specific to Sulani? Where is the ability to learn how to make food dishes by eating them and having the required cooking skill? Where are the stories specific to Sulani? The greeting? The skill that you acquire once you take part in the culture? These are things we got in Jungle Adventures...a game pack. Rounding back to the festivals, there should be notifications and invites for when those take place like they are in City Living. I shouldn't have to look for balloons or walk into a certain area at a certain with the hope that something may happen. This part of the expansion was such a huge disappointment, and it should have been a big part of it. I'll give it a 5 because I don't hate what we do have, but we don't have much as far as culture is concerned in my opinion.

Final Score: 7

The pack is somewhere between a GP and an EP. While it introduces some cool activities, a beautiful new world and great CAS/Build&Buy items, it feels incomplete. It isn't a bad pack at all and $40 isn't too steep for a game, but when you consider the fact that this isn't the only pack many players own on top of the base game, that's a lot of money adding up. With that money, you expect a certain level of detail. I do think it's worth the buy, but not at the price point given. I'd wait until a sale pops up to get this.
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    edited June 2019
    I’d like to change my rating to 4.75 . As much as I’m sure you wanna hear another rant about how Island Living is literal plum, I feel like enough people have already talked about it so there’s no point anymore.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I'd love to hear everyone's rating once you've played it for two weeks.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,844 Member
    This is one I won't be able to rate simply because I'm not a fan of beach/water activities. Not in real life and not in the game. I love the world and I'm busy renovating to incorporate it into my existing gameplay but I won't have any sims living there. My favorite features are the conservation career and features that came with the patch.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    edited April 2023
    Definitely a 10. Too late for me to vote though. Here is why I vote Island Living a 10.

The World is gorgeous.

The beaches and oceans are beautiful.

The numerous waterfalls plus the one you can bathe in,play in and woohoo in.

Sulani is one of only 2 worlds you can swim in the ocean with Tartosa being the 2nd. Other worlds are mainly swimmable lakes.

The Rentals. They look like real tropical builds everything from the doors,windows,ceiling fans etc.

Lots Being On The Water.

The Volcano.

3 Beaches

The 2 big empty lots. I'm planning on placing a Waterpark on one of them now that we have Splash Pads. Every beach get away should have a large waterpark.

Edit

I hope this isn't considered a necro thread cause it shouldn't be. I know it's old but I really wanted to point out some of the things I liked. I missed this thread until it was linked in the Growing Together Poll. If it is then I'll delete my comment. I don't want to get in trouble on here.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,123 Member
    Love Sulani, Mermaids, the Dolphin, CAS & Build Mode Objects. :p
    Island Living would've gotten a high rate, unfortunately there's no Boathouses like in Island Paradiso. :'(
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Love the world, gameplay and families are meh.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I really love this place and in my main saved game, Sulani is my go to vacationing world for my Sims. I also have 2 families living there, the Calientes and the pre-mades with the old woman and her grandchild. I do keep 2 rental lots in Sulani, one for big families/household and the other for single Sims and smaller families/household.

I put down a restaurant in this world too and I did a slight modification of the bar, to include a second story with a library/local community area for the locals. The restaurant also has a second story with a few skilling stations. With these two community lots, my locals have just about everything they need and rarely need to seek into other neighborhoods.

With the mermaids, this pack is truly 10 out of 10 for me.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Lovely place but not enough to do that would induce me to send sims there on a regular basis. This from someone who has been to Hawaii and loves the place. Thoughts for improvement: more lots, more plants to harvest, snorkeling and diving be more like TS3, be able to surf - with skill levels and more challenging waves to master as one levels up. Jungle Adventures provides a local culture and dance to learn, so why not Sulani? The Hula would be an obvious choice.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,844 Member
    This is one I won't be able to rate simply because I'm not a fan of beach/water activities. Not in real life and not in the game. I love the world and I'm busy renovating to incorporate it into my existing gameplay but I won't have any sims living there. My favorite features are the conservation career and features that came with the patch.

Haha After four years I'm finally voting. I don't have any Sims living there but I've come to love Sulani for day trips to the beach, date nights at tropical themed seafood restaurants and the events.
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    edited April 2023
    Sulani is the most beautifull and immersive world the team has ever released. I would get this pack just for the world. The gameplay is not nonexistant as a lot of people say. It is just very simple in its approach. Still, I like having beaches and the associated gameplay in my saves. Mermaids are visually impressive but ultimately boring. I think this one would benefit the most from a refresh because whats there is allready good and needed for my gameplay style.
  • TartosanVigneronTartosanVigneron Posts: 24 Member
    Island Living is one of my favorite packs. The world is soooo amazing. My first legacy lived on Sulani.

The only downside is that it doesn't add much for sims who live elsewhere. It almost feels like a separate game rather than an EP.
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    I keep the pack installed for the odd jobs feature.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,573 Member
    I love it when old threads resurface! I gave it a 10. If nothing else, I can load up a game, play as a mermaid, and enjoy a day swimming around, fishing and enjoying the beautiful scenery