Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    At least Rod Humble was honest from Day 1.

No trailer with CGI like City Skylines 2 or imaginary gameplay like The Sims trailers, only the actual game was shown to us.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member

No trailer with CGI like City Skylines 2 or imaginary gameplay like The Sims trailers, only the actual game was shown to us.

Yes, I thought it was super cool how the devs "played the game together" to capture the footage and put that video together. Even though the video quality is really subpar and super amateurish, it was so much more endearing to me because they were so excited to show off their "baby".

I could just picture them sitting around someones home PC on a weekend having a few drinks and just laughing and having a good time while they decide what to show.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,645 Member

Yes, I thought it was super cool how the devs "played the game together" to capture the footage and put that video together. Even though the video quality is really subpar and super amateurish, it was so much more endearing to me because they were so excited to show off their "baby".

I could just picture them sitting around someones home PC on a weekend having a few drinks and just laughing and having a good time while they decide what to show.

And while they share ideas about what their vision is for the game. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. B)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Life By You Needs a Lot More Juice to Stack Up to Its Competition

Paradox has finally shed light on its Sims competitor Life By You, but the game seems to lack a level of charm to truly make it the Sims killer.

More here:
    https://gamerant.com/life-by-you-sims-competition-charm-design-aesthetic-problem/
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member

Paradox has finally shed light on its Sims competitor Life By You, but the game seems to lack a level of charm to truly make it the Sims killer.

More here:
    https://gamerant.com/life-by-you-sims-competition-charm-design-aesthetic-problem/

Can't say I disagree with this
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Right now, I am for Life by You 1st, then Paralives and finally Sims 5. I was really and still disappointed in Sims4. I seen some of the trailers for Life by You and I am really intrigued by them and hope the simulation lives up to the hype. I will not buy Sims 5 out the door as I was disappointed in it as it lacked a whole lot and still does today. Paralives, the features are great but not digging the graphics too much, but willing to give it a go.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

More here:

I find it laughable that LBY's graphics are being criticized while it's still in the early developmental stages. I'll save my judgement for when the finished product is released. B)
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Clearly, Game Rant doesn't actually read the feedback from actual Sims players - and Ron Humble has already said that the graphics need to be polished. So they also don't read interviews? Get your facts straight lol.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    It feels like the writer went into that article wanting to dislike Life By You and went looking for any reason to confirm their bias against it.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I mean sims were really cArtoony until the sims 4.Yes there was wacjiness in sims 2, but also releasticness same with sims 3.
    Well it's not going to have "charm and outlandish" characters because this game is geared towards a more realistic aspect of the life sim genre and for people who are looking for an in depth life simulator. The sims will still be here to give them that.

Those that don't want drama or real life situations/reactions in their game can remain loyal to the sims.

People who are sick of a visually pretty game with very little substance and repetitive gameplay will try LBY.

It's a win/win for everybody!

And, my #1 hope is that those people who are ridiculously demanding of things to be put in the game, taken out of the game, or that complain about every little thing, will not migrate over to LBY.

I think part of the issue with the look of the game is the lighting and once that's improved it will help.

I took a screenshot from the reveal footage and brightened it up in photoshop and to me it helped a lot to make the game look better. Of course it's not cartoony, so it's going to look less "charming". But to me personally it looks better brighter so I think the graphics can/will improve quite a bit by final release. (Oh yeah the UI is not from the game, I was bored and made a more cohesively colored UI Mock-Up and rearranged the icons/buttons into what I felt was a better and more user friendly location. The odd colors of the current UI was a little jarring, like they had these pre-defined placeholder type UI elements and just sort of tossed them in the game for testing purposes. Like the purplish tools near the character's name on the bottom left, yet the needs panel is all goldish colored. It was messing with my OCD.)
    xwkujtD.png

The characters do have really odd proportions, small narrow shoulders, super short T-Rex arms, and odd idle standing animation with sort of clenched fists.

But they really are not as bad as people are making it out. I think it's just jarring to some people because they are so used to the cartoony smooth look of TS4. Once the visuals are improved for the characters it will help tremendously.

Here's another close up of one of the Senior Designers character. I personally think it really resembles him and looks pretty good.
    tcmahub.png

I still play TS2 and TS3 so visuals aren't everything for me because I know I can improve them with CC. But gameplay functions, customization are a must and is what keeps me interested in playing.

edited April 2023

More here:

This article could tell the same thing about The Sims 3, these games are very similar.
    The design of the characters and the robotic animations were the weaknesses of TS3, LbY inherit these same traits.

TS2/TS4 fans may dislike LbY and TS3 fans may like it.

In the end it's just a matter of taste. Minecraft is ugly but it has sold 238 million copies more than The Sims franchise.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member

More here:

This article could tell the same thing about The Sims 3, these games are very similar.
    The design of the characters and the robotic animations were the weaknesses of TS3, LbY inherit these same traits.

TS2/TS4 fans may dislike LbY and TS3 fans may like it.

In the end it's just a matter of taste. Minecraft is ugly but it has sold 238 million copies.

True, Sims 3 really dialed down the energetic and expressive animations of the Sims 2
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Yeah, I saw PEGI 16 somewhere. Definitely not for kids.

Unlike the current EA messterpiece. Said it back in 2014 will say it again, the T is for toddlers.
    NME - "‘Life By You’ studio manager tells players to take system requirements “seriously”"

This makes me wonder what type of specs Rene is going to be based on. Definitely lower, but the question is how low.

Enough low for mobile device :p

Just had an amusing thought. What if the game won't be recognized by Windows 10/11 computers? Sort of like how TS2 needs a lot of tinkering to run on them, only worse.
    edited April 2023
    Well you're not alone. 😄 I've seen comments on social media from people who seem to be wanting to stick it to EA. Gleefully anticipating the end of The Sims. I think they're going to be disappointed.

I don't want the end of the Sims Franchise. I want it better. But for me, Sims 4 is unplayable and unenjoyable. It's dead to me...not because of these competitor games but due to EA executives' corporate strategy. I've moved on since Discover University (2019).

My primary installation stops there at DU. Secondary/experimental installation stops at Cottage Living. Enough was enough, and the app fiasco has only made it worse. My trust of EA is gone, not another cent will they get from me.

Like many others here, have put in a preorder.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    It feels like the writer went into that article wanting to dislike Life By You and went looking for any reason to confirm their bias against it.

I feel the same as they may favor EA out of habit and therefore may be prejudicial to anybody that dares to challenge EA/Maxis.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited April 2023
    There is something that we don't know about Project Rene. How will the sims be in Unreal Engine 5 ?
    I remember it was a disaster when BioWare moved Mass Effect from UE3 to Frostbite.

A new engine and mobile device are big changes, the sims and the creation in CAS will be different from the previous games.

I'm not fan of the Bratz doll style from The Sims Mobile.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member

More here:

I read this article earlier today but lost it. Thanks for posting. I’ve replied by Twitter that one thing was all footage was in game which is a good thing. I am hopeful the art concepts improves.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞

More here:

I read this article earlier today but lost it. Thanks for posting. I’ve replied by Twitter that one thing was all footage was in game which is a good thing. I am hopeful the art concepts improves.

Not only was it in game, the devs literally got together and played the game and recorded it together. So they could have literally been playing on someone's home machine during the weekend or the video capture software might not have been the best. It was not a professional recording done by a videographer or marketing team. I am confident the overall aesthetics will improve greatly by the time the final game releases.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

More here:

Not only was it in game, the devs literally got together and played the game and recorded it together. So they could have literally been playing on someone's home machine during the weekend or the video capture software might not have been the best. It was not a professional recording done by a videographer or marketing team. I am confident the overall aesthetics will improve greatly by the time the final game releases.

This was a big announcement, I doubt they didn't do their best to show the game in best possible light. It's a big studio with lots of good equipment and I'm pretty sure big conference rooms where they could have got together, eat pizza and make good quality videos.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

I feel the same as they may favor EA out of habit and therefore may be prejudicial to anybody that dares to challenge EA/Maxis.

There was a feeling of defensiveness in it. I did go back and reread it and there is a case to be made that there were maybe some unrealistic expectations for the reveal on the writer's part that boiled over. Just because they might have been expecting more doesn't mean that 'more' isn't coming.
    edited April 2023
    Life by You and Paralives are far from The Sims (2000) spirit created by Will Wright.

Will the players enjoy to burn or drown the characters in these games ? I'm not even sure if that will be possible.
    Life by You and Paralives are far from The Sims (2000) spirit created by Will Wright.

Will the players enjoy to burn or drown the characters in these games ? I'm not even sure if that will be possible.

Killing sims wasn't exactly my cup of tea. :o
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    For those who have pre-ordered is access to the Discord available immediately or will that happen at release?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top