Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grandparents having grandkids stay over

I am not close to having any babies yet with my main couple, but I was wondering about something that maybe some of you have done. My born in game babies will have both maternal and paternal grandparents living in their own homes. These homes include a second bedroom dedicated as a guest bedroom that can be set up for babies, infants, toddlers or kids as they age up. I was thinking about how it will work if the grandparents invite their grandkids to come for a visit and stay for a few days. Maybe the parents of the grands need a break and want to go on vacation to go skiing and snowboarding, do some rock climbing, or just take some time out from their busy family life for a romantic getaway to the city. If the gandkids are in the care of their grandparents, will that allow me to play the parents and thus make them the active played household rather than the grandparents' household? Or does the game only allow the grandparents to stay at the home lot where the grandkids live? I can see that being the case if the child is a newborn, but can infants and toddlers be invited to stay with grandparents at the grandparent's home lot?

Comments

• RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    I haven't been able to test too much, but as far as I know you have to at least load up the grandparent's house to prepare the sleep over and they are only supposed to leave the house for school or work until it is over. You might be able to do it from the main house but when I tried it was planning for that household not the one they were inviting, if I'm wrong somewhere someone will let you know that is only what I saw.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    That was the way I understood how the invite worked. The kids, babies, infants would have to be at the grandparent's home and after their arrival, I would need to save the game then go to Manage Worlds to play the vacationing parents. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I was curious as to how that could be done because with two sets of grandparents per Sim baby in this save, my new parents (once the babies arrive) can look forward to a lot of free babysitting. I play with aging off on a rotation through many households, and I wander in and out of their lives in no particular order. But for some reason, perhaps happy memories of spending weekends with my grandparents when I was a kid, when I saw this was a new feature in GT, I was thrilled. Now I can't wait to get to that point in my current save. Thank you for making the process more clear. :)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    Well, if it doesn’t work being able to save and change houses, I know you can actually move you grandkids into the grandparents house and then when you want them back home, move them back to the parents. It would be interesting if it can work the way you are trying though. I’m interested to find out if it works for you.
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    What’s the age for stay overs anyway? Is it only YA Sims and up from the menu to choose from?
    Kids are able to have sleep overs at their home or at the rec center, I believe. But in none of the live streams have I seen a toddler or infant being able to stay at someone else's home. I guess I could always invite the grandparents to stay over for a few days then have the parents just go on a vacation and leave the grandparents in charge. But I, of course, wanted to make things more difficult by having the grandparents live in different worlds, living different lifestyles that will give the grandkids unique experiences when they visit. One set of grandparents may live on a mini farm complete with chickens and a llama. Another set of grandparents love the rustic lifestyle in Granite Falls and might introduce the grands to fishing and nature walks. I want each set of grandparents to bring something unique into the lives of their grandchildren.

Setting up this save has been a joy and a lot of fun. But the process has also brought on some soul searching because I want it to be totally different from anything I have played before. But this pack will finally allow us to play a generational game in a way that makes sense to me. And I don't want to miss any opportunity to encourage deep relationships between all the family members. Thank you for taking an interest in what I am doing. I will keep you updated once I find out more. :)
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2023
    The sleepover event is different from stay overs. The sleepover is like a party. As for stay over, I had one by switching to the grandparent's house, then having their 2 grandkids stay over. 1 infant, 1 toddler. They stayed for 2 or 3 days, and it was pretty cool. I didn't try switching back to the parent's home though, to see if the babies would remain with the grandparents... Now I definitely have to try that.

*From what I've gathered, if you try to switch back, it'll cancel the stay over? Your best bet might be to temporarily move the kids in with the grands, and move them back home later.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Future wrote: »
    What’s the age for stay overs anyway? Is it only YA Sims and up from the menu to choose from?

I had an infant and toddler stay over together. I haven't tried a newborn, yet. So at the very least, infant and up.
    Many thanks @IceyJ for the info. I guess the grandkids can stay with the grandparents, which was my first wish. But the parents are kind of stuck at home on a staycation while their kids are away. Either way, it's going to be fun and new, and definitely a refreshing way to play. :)
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    oh glad you got your answer I was curious and went to check while it was on my mind ha.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png