Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life By You/ Paradox Tectonic [How to Manage a Household. PG. 5]

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I'm on the preorder train too! I know you shouldn't preorder games, but at this point I just want a life sim that's not made by EA. The bar for TS4 is so low right now that it would be hard for Paradox to make something worse IMO
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    As someone who played SimCity from the late 1990s to when SimCity 4 was usurped by Cities Skylines, I'm looking forward to Paradox giving EA a run for its money. I hope it doesn't bury TS like Cities Skylines did SimCity, because I like TS's lore, but if it's as superior to TS as Skylines was to what remained of the SimCity franchise....hey. Life moves on.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I personally am not a fan of the art style of this game, but the gameplay, customisability and supported modding tools from the outset definitely have me interested.

I pre-ordered via Epic Games to get in early. UK price is £34.99.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited March 2023
    As someone who played SimCity from the late 1990s to when SimCity 4 was usurped by Cities Skylines, I'm looking forward to Paradox giving EA a run for its money.

This is kind of interesting. :)
    I was experimenting with Bing AI chat and I highlighted your post and transferred it. And it set about explaining your statement:
    The text expresses the anticipation of a new life simulation game by Paradox, a rival company of EA, which has been making the popular SimCity and The Sims series for decades. Some key points and additional facts are:

*SimCity is an open-ended city-building game series that started in 1989 and was designed by Will Wright [1].

*The Sims is a spin-off of SimCity that focuses on simulating the lives of individual characters rather than cities. It was released in 2000 and became a best-selling franchise [1].

*EA acquired Maxis, the original developer of SimCity and The Sims, in 1997 and continued to publish new titles and expansions for both series.[1]

*Cities Skylines is another city-building game that was released in 2015 by Paradox Interactive. It was widely praised as a superior alternative to SimCity (2013), which had a disastrous launch due to technical issues and online-only requirements [2].

And then Bing AI chat suggested further questions:
    How does Paradox plan to compete with The Sims?

So I clicked on it and it answered.
    Paradox plans to compete with The Sims by creating a new life simulation game called Life by You, which will offer more customization, realism, and modding options than The Sims. Some details are:

*Life by You is being developed by Paradox Tectonic, a new internal studio led by Rod Humble, who previously worked on The Sims and Second Life.

*Life by You will allow players to design and live out the lives of their created characters in an open world without loading screens.

*Life by You will feature real language conversations instead of Simlish, and players will be able to craft their own dialogues in-game.

*Life by You will have extensive customization tools for building homes, businesses, characters, and mods. Players will also be able to switch between third-person and direct control gameplay modes.

*Life by You will launch in early access on September 12th on PC via Steam and Epic Games Store.

Another suggested question was:
    How will real language conversations work?
    Real language conversations are a feature of Life by You that will allow players to interact with their characters and other NPCs using natural language instead of Simlish. Some details are:

*Real language conversations will be generated based on the characters’ unique situations, such as their personality traits, moods, relationships, and goals.

*Players will be able to choose from multiple dialogue options or craft their own responses using a text input system.

*Real language conversations will affect the characters’ emotions, opinions, and actions, as well as the story progression and quests.

The conversation generation seems to be more detailed than what I picked up from the livestream.
    I don't know if the AI is exaggerating or has found some additional information. If conversation generation is determined by personality traits, moods, relationships, and goals then it will be truly interesting to have Life by You "cims" interact.

I asked the AI a question that came to me:
    People are objecting to the art style of Life By You.
    Can you elaborate on this?

It Answered:
    Some people are objecting to the art style of Life by You because they find it too bland, generic, or cartoonish compared to The Sims. Some details are:

The art style of Life by You is influenced by Paradox’s previous games such as Cities Skylines and Crusader Kings 3, which have a more stylized and simplified look than The Sims.

Some critics have argued that Life by You lacks personality and charm in its character models and environments, and that it fails to capture the diversity and expressiveness of human life.

Some fans of The Sims have also accused Life by You of copying or imitating The Sims’ features and gameplay mechanics without offering anything original or innovative.

And then it came back with another suggested question:
    How do you think Paradox will respond to these criticisms?
    Paradox may respond to these criticisms by acknowledging them and explaining their artistic choices, or by ignoring them and focusing on their own vision for the game. Some possible ways are:

Paradox may point out that Life by You is still in early development and that the art style may change or improve over time based on feedback and testing.

Paradox may emphasize that Life by You is not trying to copy or imitate The Sims, but rather offer a different and more realistic approach to life simulation that appeals to a different audience.

Paradox may argue that Life by You’s art style is intentional and consistent with their previous games, and that it allows for more customization, modding, and performance than The Sims.

Paradox may disregard the criticisms and focus on their own creative vision for the game, trusting that their fans will appreciate their work regardless of the art style.

The AI has spoken.
    Interesting times. :)
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,645 Member
    Conversation generation is pretty interesting, as well as the rest of the features I've been wanting for years. I like that if you don't like the conversation choices given, you can type in your own. Love it!

I tried to preorder on Epic Games the other day, but it didn't seem to work. After a few days have passed, and I'm sure I haven't been charged for it, I will try again. 40 dollars is well worth it from what I'm reading. Even if it turns out I don't like it, which I highly doubt from what I've read, I'll only be out 40 dollars which isn't all that much to me. I'm pretty excited about LBY and can't wait to explore it's open world and meet it's characters.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    As someone who played SimCity from the late 1990s to when SimCity 4 was usurped by Cities Skylines, I'm looking forward to Paradox giving EA a run for its money.

This is kind of interesting. :)
    I was experimenting with Bing AI chat and I highlighted your post and transferred it. And it set about explaining your statement:

The AI has spoken.
    Interesting times. :)

I'm honored, considering that I've been playing with Bing (and now the much-inferior Bard) for a few weeks now. I think EA has taken The Sims too much for granted, and hope it learned its lessons from the death of SimCity!

The thing says my body is 4 characters too short, so here you are.

• rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    I wonder if we can only play in one world with Life by You or if we can go to multiple worlds. This is one thing I really love about TS4, more so than having an open world and not being able to travel to other worlds. TS4 has many worlds, and being able to travel to them just adds so much excitement to the game. I wouldn't want to give that up if we are confined to one world just to have an open world.
    rjssim wrote: »
    I wonder if we can only play in one world with Life by You or if we can go to multiple worlds. This is one thing I really love about TS4, more so than having an open world and not being able to travel to other worlds. TS4 has many worlds, and being able to travel to them just adds so much excitement to the game. I wouldn't want to give that up if we are confined to one world just to have an open world.

That's what I am wondering too.
    The Sims 3 had singular worlds, but it did have two worlds that you could visit with a loading screen: Shang Simla and Oasis landing from World Adventures and Into the Future expansion packs. Modders made it possible to visit any world and use them as vacation destinations as well. The Sims 3 did allow you to move to other worlds, but you broke off all connections with sims living in the world you moved from.

I am curious to know how large this world or worlds are.
    The developer from the live stream mentioned that there were two neighborhoods that she built.
    From the UI you can see that there are Neighborhoods/ Regions/ Sub-Regions.

What I would like to know if the Neighborhood is considered the world, or is the world divided into neighborhoods.
    I hope the world is divided into several neighborhoods so I can create districts for residential, business and retail, industry, etc.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2023
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    I can't speak for DaWaterRat but I think some simmers prefer for things to come packaged and ready to play. I think it was on Twitter I saw someone else say they prefer Sims 4 worlds because all the decorating is done. You can just plop down a family and play. Nothing wrong with that but other simmers much prefer to be given the tools to create their own jobs, worlds, etc. exactly how they want.

I love that Life By You seems to be scratching that itch for those who really like to get under the hood. I find myself somewhere in the middle. I find Sims 4 worlds to be beautiful for the most part. But they're waaaay too small for my play style. In which case I would expand them (if I had the tools) add a little pizzazz here and there, and perfetto!

I love your ideas though. We also can create quests if you wanted to add a little Strangerville story to different worlds. I'm excited to see what the community comes up with, I might need another hard drive come September. 🥳

This is exactly how I feel. I don't have the time or desire to design my own game. I got a headache just listening to them talk about changing text scripts and objects. :D I am glad those features will be available for those who want them and hopefully it will be shareable.

Me too. Building a lot every now and again and making the sims that live in them really is the extent I want things to be.

I have tried more ‘serious’ strategy games and I enjoy them for a weekend but lose interest. I think the simplicity of sims is part of which keeps me coming back. It’s very easy to put on for just an hour or two after work and doesn’t stress me out.

Also just like paralives, everyone focuses on what this has that the sims does not... but they’re not considering what it doesn’t have that the sims does.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member

For Sims 3 I had to play Sunset Valley for a couple of years before I got a PC that could cope with the expansion packs. I still have a great time playing the world.

I don’t mind one world 🌍 on launch.

TS4 worlds need sorting. I don’t like everyone being able to travel. Such as vampires visiting desert worlds, Henford folks strolling round San MyShuno etc.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
    edited March 2023

I wish these guys the best of luck, and it's nice to see some competition, but the characters are just not to my liking at all. It will be a pass for me unless they do something drastic with those characters to make them look good. I am really looking forward to seeing what the sims will look like in TS5.

For Sims 3 I had to play Sunset Valley for a couple of years before I got a PC that could cope with the expansion packs. I still have a great time playing the world.

I don’t mind one world 🌍 on launch.

TS4 worlds need sorting. I don’t like everyone being able to travel. Such as vampires visiting desert worlds, Henford folks strolling round San MyShuno etc.

Each to our own, but to me, it would just get so bland and boring to just be confined to one world. Being able to travel to all the worlds in TS4 just adds so much more for storytelling. I don't mind the NPCs traveling wherever they want myself. It just adds more opportunities to meet different characters for my story. Of course, if we can have an open world and travel to different worlds like we can in TS4, then that would just be awesome.
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,049 Member
    Interesting. I'm not sure what to think of this game just yet, but do agree with others that it's a good thing for EA to have some competition. The screenshots of the customization options don't look all that bad to me, though there's always room for improvement. Anyway, hopefully it will turn out to be a really successful game.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member

How will Life By You compete with The Sims? Deeper role-play

https://www.polygon.com/23657952/life-by-you-paradox-sim-game-rod-humble
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,645 Member
    @simgirl1010 Thanx for sharing that link! B)

Roleplaying characters would be really cool. It seems that LBY will have characters with individual personalities and traits that actually mean something and effect how they interact with other characters in the game world. Excited to see how this plays out. Hopefully, a lot of interesting drama! B)

Gets a bit boring when sims act the same way over and over regardless of their meaningless traits, likes, or dislikes.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    My main concern is that does it allow rotational play? The major lack of it still keeps turning me away from The Sims 3 a little.
    EgonVM wrote: »
    My main concern is that does it allow rotational play? The major lack of it still keeps turning me away from The Sims 3 a little.

I played rotationally in The Sims 3.
    I just kept story progression turned off.

That's a good question though.
    Are they going to have story progression? And can you turn it off?
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member

@EgonVM this is from the article I posted above. Not really sure how it'll work.

Life By You’s character creation will be limited to one “household,” which Humble said will be around 8 or 10 people. However, you can right-click on any character you see in the world and immediately have access to them: their memories, their likes, their dislikes. From there, you can follow them through their lives.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    It could be an interesting sort of game play. Imagen starting the day with Nancy Landgraab meeting up with Bella Goth, switch character and follow Bella to the Pancakes house and then switch to Bob...
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member

@EgonVM this is from the article I posted above. Not really sure how it'll work.

Life By You’s character creation will be limited to one “household,” which Humble said will be around 8 or 10 people. However, you can right-click on any character you see in the world and immediately have access to them: their memories, their likes, their dislikes. From there, you can follow them through their lives.

I read that too and it confused me. Isn't that how it always is? You only create one household at a time? I mean in TS4 you can create households and save them to your library, change out the people and re-save as another household to your library but you can only actually bring 1 household into the world at a time.

I need clarification on that. Like does it mean, we can't create more and more and more "townies/residents" and place them in our world in that same save?

I'm so confused.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    @CK213 @EgonVM

I found another article, that might help explain more about "rotational play". I've never really played that way so I'm not totally sure how it works. But Rod did go into a little more detail about how you can pause your current person to start playing someone else if you wanted, or you could have them be controlled by the AI while you're playing that other person.

https://venturebeat.com/games/how-life-by-you-takes-a-fresh-look-at-life-simulation-rod-humble-interview/

But, it doesn't sound like story progression can be turned off from how I interpretted everything I read.
    Humble: Every person in the world is always being simulated, even when you’re not looking. That’s a key difference for any life simulator. When you see somebody go to work and go into a building, they really go to work. You can follow them there and watch them do their work.

GamesBeat: Does the world go on when you’re not there?

Humble: Yes, it’s all simultaneous, all the time.

GamesBeat: Your character isn’t an exception to that?

Humble: No. It’s a single-player game, so if you quit the game, the world stops until you load up the game again. But while you’re playing, everybody is being simulated at exactly the same time. If I right click on this person I can then take over that person and live their life. My person would then be AI-controlled if I chose. Or I can say, “No, don’t do anything until I get back.” You can do that as well. But everything is being simulated all the time in all of these buildings. You can mouse over that, the roof will disappear, and you get to see the people in it doing their things.

@CK213 @EgonVM

I found another article, that might help explain more about "rotational play". I've never really played that way so I'm not totally sure how it works. But Rod did go into a little more detail about how you can pause your current person to start playing someone else if you wanted, or you could have them be controlled by the AI while you're playing that other person.

https://venturebeat.com/games/how-life-by-you-takes-a-fresh-look-at-life-simulation-rod-humble-interview/

But, it doesn't sound like story progression can be turned off from how I interpretted everything I read.
    Humble: Every person in the world is always being simulated, even when you’re not looking. That’s a key difference for any life simulator. When you see somebody go to work and go into a building, they really go to work. You can follow them there and watch them do their work.

Humble: No. It’s a single-player game, so if you quit the game, the world stops until you load up the game again. But while you’re playing, everybody is being simulated at exactly the same time. If I right click on this person I can then take over that person and live their life. My person would then be AI-controlled if I chose. Or I can say, “No, don’t do anything until I get back.” You can do that as well. But everything is being simulated all the time in all of these buildings. You can mouse over that, the roof will disappear, and you get to see the people in it doing their things.

That's how The Sims 3 is.
    People have their schedules going off to work or going out to certain places.
    I'm fine with all that, but what I don't want is sims I consider mine changing jobs, ending/starting new romances, having babies, adopting pets, or moving out of their homes when I am not playing them. I'm sure Mr. Humble is aware of that as there was quite a lot of blow-back about story progression and they allowed us to turn it off.

I am hoping one of their tools, perhaps Story Creator, let's us mark certain sims/households as sacrosanct from the changes by the simulation.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    edited March 2023
    @CK213 @EgonVM

The processing power must be high if everyone is being simulated! I wonder if you can tweak that, so only those you want to move about can? Is there a time limit on your household being immune to major changes when selecting ‘don’t do anything until I get back’?

I’m glad it’s single player and the world is paused when you turn the game off.

I wonder how the ‘gallery’ will work when you want a share your creations with others? Will that be in the game or a separate website? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Lilia1971Lilia1971 Posts: 391 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    @CK213 @EgonVM

That's how The Sims 3 is.
    People have their schedules going off to work or going out to certain places.
    I'm fine with all that, but what I don't want is sims I consider mine changing jobs, ending/starting new romances, having babies, adopting pets, or moving out of their homes when I am not playing them. I'm sure Mr. Humble is aware of that as there was quite a lot of blow-back about story progression and they allowed us to turn it off.

I am hoping one of their tools, perhaps Story Creator, let's us mark certain sims/households as sacrosanct from the changes by the simulation.

Hi. There’s a long article in the Project Rene thread about Life By You and it seems you can tell the game to put a hold on advancement if you want to play in rotation.