Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life By You/ Paradox Tectonic [How to Manage a Household. PG. 5]

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm missing something, but while the customization options look wonderful, I'm not seeing how "my stories" go beyond Dramas and Rom-Coms. It may offer more control, but I'm not seeing any stories I can tell in Life By You that I can't tell in The Sims.

And honestly, if I have to do that much work to set it up, I may as well just write a TTRPG adventure... or a book.

First of all, "stories" is not the issue here, NO version of the Sims have been able to do more than Dramas and Rom-Coms, I am not sure why you expected this game to do more than that, and in that case what "more" exactly? Splatter horror? Space travel? Racing game?

The issue here are things that you are not interested in, like freedom of movement, freedom of creation, open world etc etc. Plus already in the trailer you can see a more detailed system for workplaces, cooking etc. Reminds me of Sims 2.

As for the graphical style: Not to my liking, but then It DOES look very close to what a lot of CC creators go for for the Sims 4. Plastic doll look instead of cartoon look.

I am still very hyped for this game.

Paranormal stuff exists - I can tell ghost stories. Get to work Police career exists, I can do investigations. (it's shallow as all get out, but it exists). Jungle Adventure exists, I can explore jungle ruins. Heck, I can explore (a small, mostly lifeless corner of) Sixam with the Scientist Career. I can certainly do more than tell Rom-Coms and Dramas in the Sims 4.

I'm not saying I'm not interested in creating thngs or customization., but I run TTRPGS. I write Stories, I make Graphic Novels using both existing assets from Daz Studio and my own creations. I'm a storyteller. It's part of my very existence.

And they Are selling Stories. My stories. It's in the trailer. Quest creator and Story Creator, though they don't go into any detail, they're just words on a screen. So what they need to sell me on is if Life By you is an interesting alternate medium to the venues I already have for telling stories.

So far, I'm curious, but not sold.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2023
    It doesn’t look fun to me. Graphically it looks like it’s stolen from earlier sims game, and gameplay-wise it just looks too real world and serious. I like the cartoon element of the sims, save the environment, be a vampire, live in a cottage with bunnies.. I’m not looking to recreate my 9-5 and chat with scripted coworkers about how boring their scripted job is. I prefer to use imagination with these things.

My biggest hope for it is honestly that most of the really negative aspects of the sims community will just go and be paradox’s problem instead. I’m not talking about people on forums with a few specific complaints, but the people on YouTube/Twitter etc who are never going to be happy at this point. But I think that’s wishful thinking.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited March 2023
    I'm sure I'm missing something, but while the customization options look wonderful, I'm not seeing how "my stories" go beyond Dramas and Rom-Coms. It may offer more control, but I'm not seeing any stories I can tell in Life By You that I can't tell in The Sims.

And honestly, if I have to do that much work to set it up, I may as well just write a TTRPG adventure... or a book.

Their story system reminded me of Sims 3 World Adventures where we could create our own tombs.
    The only problem with that was you couldn't really enjoy them because you knew where all the traps were, so there was no surprise at all in playing them.

This will have the same problem:
    You know the script.

I think my joy will be mainly in the creating of it and the first one or two times I play it.
    I will probably find myself creating stuff for others to play.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited March 2023
    I figured I would wait until the official announcement trailer before giving an opinion, though I will say initially not the game for me and I still feel that way. Regardless, I'm sure there are many who will find this amazing and fun to play.

The graphics and art style aren't the only things important to me but I am visually stimulated in what I see and am always amazed how far video gaming has come up until now such as: Asteroid, Pac-Man, Gauntlet (1985), all the way up to the most impressive to me like The Order 1886, Detroit: Become Human, Horizon Zero Dawn/Forbidden West, and an Unreal Engine 5 experience The Matrix Awakens. Now I'm not saying I would expect Life by You to possibly be a CPU intensive life simulator to be on par with graphics and a realistic aesthetic like Cyberpunk 2077. For one, the target audience of this niche life simulation most likely doesn't have gaming computers or may not even play those kind of intensive games if they play any other games besides The Sims at all. An observation to some here saying they don't play other games or if they do, it's mobile usually.

The graphics and the aesthetic in TS3 is what I would like to see greatly improved upon and while I do read or hear some others opinions about preferring a more realistic look and approach to the life simulation genre, unfortunately I don't think this niche group will ever see that come to fruition. Personally, I am not interested in anything less than graphic and/or aesthetic wise than TS3. Also, I'm just not into that certain cartoony/mobile aesthetic.

While the gameplay and creativity in Life by You may likely give far more player control and freedom, I would not be able to get attached to the simulated people looking like cartoons nor the world. It's like doll collectors who prefer certain kind of dolls and buy or create their own doll clothes and/or accessories to create a more realistic photoshoot/storyline.
    Realistic
    IMG-0588.jpg

Cartoony
    barbie-doll-assortment-65203-0-1417083604000.jpg

=======

The way TS3 Sims look originally isn't bad to me.
    Screenshot-1924.jpg

Screenshot-1936.jpg

However, since there isn't a more realistic life simulator with all the best features of TS/TS2/TS3 then I'll just stick with TS3 and use mods/cc for more variety and realism.
    Screenshot-161.jpg

Screenshot-124.jpg

Screenshot-130.jpg

I'm fond of the more realistic environments in TS3.
    Screenshot-320.jpg

Screenshot-35.jpg

Screenshot-1061.jpg

Screenshot-57.jpg

=======

I definitely gained a preference towards realism in gaming. Though that doesn't mean I don't like or enjoy games like Minecraft, Fall Guys, To the Moon, Finding Paradise, Imposter Factory, Plants vs Zombies, Slime Rancher, etc. But I do have a penchant for realism for any possible new life simulators, otherwise I'm not the target audience. Yeah I know, I'm not easily impressed concerning life sims except TS/TS2/TS3 during its time though TS3 still looks amazing to me. Nothing tops TS3 so far to me. No one wants to target the high-end gamers but who knows, maybe there's a lot more interest for that kind of life simulator that doesn't hold back and uses real-time ray tracing and looks beautiful but still plays exceptionally well even if the RAM was upped to 32 or 64 GB being recommended, lol. And of course has all the best features of TS/TS2/TS3.

Still not enough of a variety of life simulators. Anyone up for a challenge that looks similar to these? Yeah, I won't hold my breath. I still have TS3. :mrgreen:
    photomode_10022021_181254.png

photomode_01022021_190345.png

20210501211852_1.jpg

20210501211642_1.jpg

photomode_27082021_152133.png

20211006232107_1.jpg

Horizon_Zero_Dawn_Sat_Jan_22_20-09-54_2022.png

screenshot_2022-11-30_14-11-17.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0gvPcc3jQ
    Post edited by Deshong04 on
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    edited March 2023
    In the live stream they said they need to smooth out the graphics and animations.
    Yes they do. The Cims, or whatever they will call them still need refinement.
    Life_by_You_-_Announce_Trailer.mp4_snapshot_01.05_2023.03.20_12.15.09_.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

They look better in the Character Creator, but I am concerned about our ability to shape faces and bodies.
    Sims 3 had this problem too where the sims looked better in Character Creator, but worse in the world
    Life_by_You_-_Announce_Trailer.mp4_snapshot_01.14_2023.03.20_12.16.19_.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Real Conversations?
    I'm not sure how I feel about that. There had better be a lot of things to say with different spins on each one, or it might feel repetitive.
    But we can always change or download new ones if we tire of them.
    Life_by_You_-_Announce_Trailer.mp4_snapshot_00.49_2023.03.20_12.14.14_.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Shopping? Great.
    I want my sims to buy their clothes, not get them for free.
    Life_by_You_-_Announce_Trailer.mp4_snapshot_00.51_2023.03.20_12.12.58_.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It seems more open than The Sims 3, with sims interactable at work.
    Life_by_You_-_Announce_Trailer.mp4_snapshot_00.56_2023.03.20_12.31.45_.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The conversation system is really needs a lot a depth for what they want to do.
    Announcement_Event_Life_by_You.mp4_snapshot_10.20_2023.03.20_17.44.06_.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Open and editable/modable are the big features for me.
    Anyway, I am glad they are making it. I hope this induces EA to address the remaining issues we still have with TS4.
    It's odd that they don't mention Steam.
    It's also listed on Steam as early access and with the Early Access date. The full game will be released next year.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited March 2023
    @CK213 wrote: »

If I remember well, Epic gives a bigger percentage to the studio than Steam.
    Many studios often push Epic as a first choice if you really want to support them.
    CK213 wrote: »
    It's also listed on Steam as early access and with the Early Access date. The full game will be released next year.

Many studios push Epic as a first choice if you really want to support them.

Okay, that makes sense.
    I would push Epic too if they were taking less of my profits. :D
  • cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    I hope that there will be a Mac version made! Otherwise I'll have to get a Windows partition that meets the specs required.

I really really like what I see from this game. An amazing amount of customization.

Also, that dialogue line "Your room is disgusting. Just like you." is hilarious.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    edited March 2023
    I liked what I saw. The open world, clothes shopping and the beach 😊.

I don’t see why all three life simulation games (Sims, Paralives and Paradox) can’t have a friendly rivalry.

There’s more than one clothes store. More than one car manufacturer etc. It’s good to see other life simulation choices.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,420 Member

The level of customization is fantastic. I am excited that they are including all of their dev tools as part of the game. This has incredible potential. The fact that you can make your own quests is fascinating. I can't wait to hear more about that. The fact that you can use a controller and drive the cars directly was surprising.

I am not too keen on how the little people look right now. But I know that the devs will improve that in the future.

And that developer chat was so full of shade. Mercy. 😂
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited March 2023
    I love the customization options, but the Sims in the TS4 look better IMO.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited March 2023

First of all, "stories" is not the issue here, NO version of the Sims have been able to do more than Dramas and Rom-Coms, I am not sure why you expected this game to do more than that, and in that case what "more" exactly? Splatter horror? Space travel? Racing game?

The issue here are things that you are not interested in, like freedom of movement, freedom of creation, open world etc etc. Plus already in the trailer you can see a more detailed system for workplaces, cooking etc. Reminds me of Sims 2.

As for the graphical style: Not to my liking, but then It DOES look very close to what a lot of CC creators go for for the Sims 4. Plastic doll look instead of cartoon look.

I am still very hyped for this game.

Paranormal stuff exists - I can tell ghost stories. Get to work Police career exists, I can do investigations. (it's shallow as all get out, but it exists). Jungle Adventure exists, I can explore jungle ruins. Heck, I can explore (a small, mostly lifeless corner of) Sixam with the Scientist Career. I can certainly do more than tell Rom-Coms and Dramas in the Sims 4.

I'm not saying I'm not interested in creating thngs or customization., but I run TTRPGS. I write Stories, I make Graphic Novels using both existing assets from Daz Studio and my own creations. I'm a storyteller. It's part of my very existence.

And they Are selling Stories. My stories. It's in the trailer. Quest creator and Story Creator, though they don't go into any detail, they're just words on a screen. So what they need to sell me on is if Life By you is an interesting alternate medium to the venues I already have for telling stories.

So far, I'm curious, but not sold.

From what looks to be promised in this upcoming game, those stories you mentioned seem to be perfectly possible in the Base Game of Life by You. It seems like we will be able to create our own police station, the furniture for the station, create the careers that occupy that station, create not just the characters that populate the station, but also their entire personality from scratch as opposed to only using preset personality traits. Same with exploring a Jungle, we can literally just create our own jungle filled with secrets and places to explore, populated by trees we have created ourselves, we can create our own skills, personality traits, careers, objects, public locations, NPCs, etc. to accompany the jungle and its exploration. We can create our own alien world filled with alien characters with their own alien careers, personalities, dialogue, furniture, etc. all in the base game! While in Sims 4 you need packs to tell those stories.

Or you can download something the community has made to help tell these stories. This game has literally limitless story telling potential in the base game alone.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    filipomel wrote: »

From what looks to be promised in this upcoming game, those stories you mentioned seem to be perfectly possible in the Base Game of Life by You. It seems like we will be able to create our own police station, the furniture for the station, create the careers that occupy that station, create not just the characters that populate the station, but also their entire personality from scratch as opposed to only using preset personality traits. Same with exploring a Jungle, we can literally just create our own jungle filled with secrets and places to explore, populated by trees we have created ourselves, we can create our own skills, personality traits, careers, objects, public locations, NPCs, etc. to accompany the jungle and its exploration. We can create our own alien world filled with alien characters with their own alien careers, personalities, dialogue, furniture, etc. all in the base game! While in Sims 4 you need packs to tell those stories.

Or you can download something the community has made to help tell these stories. This game has literally limitless story telling potential in the base game alone.

I can't speak for DaWaterRat but I think some simmers prefer for things to come packaged and ready to play. I think it was on Twitter I saw someone else say they prefer Sims 4 worlds because all the decorating is done. You can just plop down a family and play. Nothing wrong with that but other simmers much prefer to be given the tools to create their own jobs, worlds, etc. exactly how they want.

I love that Life By You seems to be scratching that itch for those who really like to get under the hood. I find myself somewhere in the middle. I find Sims 4 worlds to be beautiful for the most part. But they're waaaay too small for my play style. In which case I would expand them (if I had the tools) add a little pizzazz here and there, and perfetto!

I love your ideas though. We also can create quests if you wanted to add a little Strangerville story to different worlds. I'm excited to see what the community comes up with, I might need another hard drive come September. 🥳

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    I can't speak for DaWaterRat but I think some simmers prefer for things to come packaged and ready to play. I think it was on Twitter I saw someone else say they prefer Sims 4 worlds because all the decorating is done. You can just plop down a family and play. Nothing wrong with that but other simmers much prefer to be given the tools to create their own jobs, worlds, etc. exactly how they want.

I love that Life By You seems to be scratching that itch for those who really like to get under the hood. I find myself somewhere in the middle. I find Sims 4 worlds to be beautiful for the most part. But they're waaaay too small for my play style. In which case I would expand them (if I had the tools) add a little pizzazz here and there, and perfetto!

I love your ideas though. We also can create quests if you wanted to add a little Strangerville story to different worlds. I'm excited to see what the community comes up with, I might need another hard drive come September. 🥳

This is exactly how I feel. I don't have the time or desire to design my own game. I got a headache just listening to them talk about changing text scripts and objects. :D I am glad those features will be available for those who want them and hopefully it will be shareable. I never used Create A World in Sims 3 but I sure did download some absolutely gorgeous worlds from simmers who did.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member

This is exactly how I feel. I don't have the time or desire to design my own game. I got a headache just listening to them talk about changing text scripts and objects. :D I am glad those features will be available for those who want them and hopefully it will be shareable. I never used Create A World in Sims 3 but I sure did download some absolutely gorgeous worlds from simmers who did.

Understandable. I do hope the game has a balance, while I'm excited those tools are available I don't want them to be necessary to enjoy the game. I don't want to have to build everything from scratch but I DO want to be able to make tweaks and hoard the creative goodies other simmers create.

Caw is a beast. I applaud anyone who was able to tame it. Here's hoping creating worlds is a lot more approachable in LBY, but in all honestly I'll likely leave that to those who have a knack for it. 😋
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

I pre-ordered for early access so that I can explore and utilize the tools and offer feedback.
    I deem this level of open world customization very necessary for my gameplay style, and from what I’ve seen and heard LBY ticks almost all of my personal life sim boxes.
    I‘m a huge fan of Sims 3’s CAW tool, so with any luck something more user friendly will be integrated into the system. For me that would be massive plus.

I’m aware that the current graphics and UI /UX are not final yet, they look like assets directly taken from the Epic Games marketplace, but that’s ok. Aesthetically speaking the game still needs huge improvement, what I think is more important right now is that the game’s core mechanics function well.

I’m glad LBY and The Sims are not alike, we can enjoy both for different reasons, for me one entity doesn’t cancel out the other.
    I’m a big lover of fantasy, SciFi and supernatural gameplay, and until we get that gorgeous looking super life sim that solely focuses on these elements (I maintain that there’s a market for that) I’ll continue to play my beloved occults in The Sims and just mod out the excessive phone use.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,645 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »

I also don't want to build my own world. I'm confident that they will give us a premade game world while still giving us the option to edit it or start from scratch. Building my own world is too tedious and time consuming for me. I just want to get into the game world and play. It seems they are giving us the best of both worlds (pun intended) and I'm really excited about all the possibilities! B)
    I pre-ordered for early access so that I can explore and utilize the tools and offer feedback.
    I deem this level of open world customization very necessary for my gameplay style, and from what I’ve seen and heard LBY ticks almost all of my personal life sim boxes.
    I‘m a huge fan of Sims 3’s CAW tool, so with any luck something more user friendly will be integrated into the system. For me that would be massive plus.

I’m aware that the current graphics and UI /UX are not final yet, they look like assets directly taken from the Epic Games marketplace, but that’s ok. Aesthetically speaking the game still needs huge improvement, what I think is more important right now is that the game’s core mechanics function well.

I’m glad LBY and The Sims are not alike, we can enjoy both for different reasons, for me one entity doesn’t cancel out the other.
    I’m a big lover of fantasy, SciFi and supernatural gameplay, and until we get that gorgeous looking super life sim that solely focuses on these elements (I maintain that there’s a market for that) I’ll continue to play my beloved occults in The Sims and just mod out the excessive phone use.

I will probably go for early access...
    If I can tear myself away from Starfield. It comes out a week before LBY.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Shopping? Great.
    I want my sims to buy their clothes, not get them for free.

This is something I don't like. Being someone who can spend hours designing wardrobes for every Sim, I would hate being locked out of wardrobe options because of money, I would have to use cheats if that's the case.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited March 2023
    @CK213 wrote: »

Many studios often push Epic as a first choice if you really want to support them.

And that's too bad since I REALLY don't like Epic or their business model otherwise, taking a loss on game sales by giving huge titles away for free, living on their Fortnite income in order to drive other companies out of the business.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

Which is on my wishlist too! 🤩

Which is on my wishlist too! 🤩

I've pre-ordered just now.
    I want to be a part of this.

If they reach their goal of 100,000, that's 4 million just from all us wanting access to the Discord server.
    That should pad their budget. :D