Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited March 2023
    Early Access FAQS

Children are not currently fully implemented in game so we see improvements here, including further developing children and adding more content for them as Early Access progresses.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/life-by-you--early-access-faq

Baby, toddler, child and maybe teen won't be finished.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    It means no baby, toddler, child and maybe teen will be available.

Don't forget infants. 😄
    edited March 2023
    It means no baby, toddler, child and maybe teen will be available.

Don't forget infants. 😄

No infant, never :p !
    Technically infants are babies

I'm curious to read what baby and toddler will have to say in this game.

Young Adult is missing.

91kj0u2gbtca.jpg
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    From the trailer I have mixed feelings.. The world environment and open world looks good but other than that nothing really sold me. I'm not an expert on game engines so couldn't say which one but it just looks like a lot of pre made assets from the engine put into a life simulator form. It just looks a bit generic and basic and doesn't really seem to have its own identity. The gameplay I guess has some nice ideas but it just isn't looking fun to me yet. Hoping it'll develop and change a lot before it releases
    edited March 2023
    It's a TS3 clone with a Conversation system.
    I didn't see something that makes me think it's better than the original TS3.

The characters don't seem "alive", their behavior is robotic and the facial expression express nothing like TS3.
    I didn't see moodlets, Wants & Fears, Aspiration, ... only the basic needs and the current emotion.

In some aspect it could look like an ancestor of TS3 due to the low quality.
    I'm sure if Life For You was a Sims game developed by Maxis, people would be furious.

But as a new game, it deserves a chance to show a new point of view.
    It's nice that there are already players who preorder it.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    The world looks great, but I will need to see more on the characters themselves. So far, TS4 Sims are my favorite out of all! I still prefer the toon look as compared to the more realistic look. Just my preference though.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    edited March 2023
    So from what we can gather so far base game at launch (in 18+ months after early access is complete) -
    • Open world, with no rabbit holes
    • This means ALL careers are playable, any job you see you can do.
    • Complete world editor
    • Rent and landlords
    • Jobs so far include things like office work, working in a cafe, retail, and working for a hotel.
    • Which means, yes, HOTELS.
    • Vehicles, including skateboards, bikes, motorbikes, and cars.
    • Body temperature (you could see how hot/cold the characters/"agents" were in the bottom right). Maybe base game weather? hope hope
    • Which characters you control is not limited by household. You can take control of anyone you see around.
    • Characters notice what characters around them are doing and react (one notices a character relaxing and then thinks, "I should relax more often")
    • Uneven relationships ("has a crush on you")
    • MASSIVE hints towards open water (surfboards, the beach)
    • Color wheels for both clothing and objects.
    • Customized object functionality (make any object a toilet!)
    • Personal histories ("rural childhood", "family secret", etc)
    • Shopping (seems very Sims 2 like - if you want more clothes you'll have to buy them)
    • Laundry
    • Time skips. You can choose to jump forward in time and the game will calculate what happened over that duration.
    • and so much more

I'll be honest, I'm excited. This is what we're seeing six months before early access! And early access is expected to last at least a year! There is going to be SO MUCH in this game!
    Post edited by Ivyeyed on
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I'm aware that what we've seen is mostly placeholder stuff, and that everything is subject to change. Here's my current thoughts:

What I like:
    • Colour wheel - a small thing indeed, but this feature is greatly appreciated nonetheless.
    • Modding capabilities - I'm very impressed with all of the customisation and modding capabilities that they've focused on. The fact that they're also including a suite of tools that the developers use themselves is also an added bonus. I can tell they're passionate about allowing players to curate the game to their liking.
    • Build mode - their version of build mode looks fun and intuitive. I especially like how simplified it seems to be to move things around, especially when terrain is involved, it looks really seamless!
    • Active careers - looks like you can accompany your character to work, similar to how active careers work in the Sims 4.

What I don't like:
    • Graphics, textures and UI - overall, not my cup of tea as it stands. It looks a little on the crude side, a tad bit clunky and outdated too. No doubt this will change, but still, I'm not a fan of how it looks currently.
    • Real dialogue - this is one that I just don't get. To me, it seems out of place, and I hope there will be settings or toggles so that I can turn this feature off, because I doubt I will use it.

Cautiously optimistic?
    • Open world - while I like the idea of no loading screens and no rabbit holes, I am very curious to see how well it will function with all sorts going on. I wonder what steps they will take to ensure good performance and optimisation.

That about sums my thoughts up for now. On a side note, it was genuinely wholesome to see Rod Humble get so excited about this project. I wish him all the success he deserves.

Also, it's worth pointing out that Steam does not allow pre-orders for early access games, that's why it's not available for pre-order on their platform. As far as I know, it will still be released on both platforms on the same date.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

Open world is one thing, but they had me at 'activate direct control mode'.
    I'll be able to personally drive the vehicles in that game: accelerate, decelerate, vroom vroom…🥹

At its current state I can't say that I find Life by You aesthetically pleasing, but this will hopefully change! I'm curious about the behavior of these so called 'humans' and how they're going to act out custom stories. Yes, I'm one of those early access geeks... I pre-ordered LBY because I'm a geek.

I mean come on, the dude in the blue boilersuit literally looks like me. It's a sign. :D

Screenshot-34.png

Also very Sims 3 box-artsy style... 🤔

There's a plethora of creator tools to choose from here, I can't wait to play around with every single one of them and provide feedback!
    I just wish EA/Maxis would invite me to playtest Project Renee. I've signed up 'n all. I promise I won't be a Leaky McLeakface.

Anyway, let me get back to my Werefant at once. Apparently it's tummy time, although I'm afraid the bebe thinks it's yummy time since it looks like he's about to devour the entire tummy time rug. Calm down you little monster, it's not even full moon.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I like the customization options. They look fun to play with, but maybe a little complicated?

Don't think it would fit rotational play, but might still be fine. Hope it looks better though. It gives me Sims 2 graphics vibes.

I know we complain about the unusable space in Sims 4 worlds, but they are pretty.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    I love just about everything I've seen so far. I've seen some people mention it looks like a tool ( had this convo with my sibling too) But I like that, as long as we have a solid base, having all these tools to play around with is a dream come true.

I don't know how creative you can get but I'm already thinking up some ways to create things for my world. I'm just hoping it has a good base, without that, all the modding tools would mean nothing.

I also like that they're planning to work closely with their players when early access comes out. I hope they listen. :)

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to it, it needs some work in some areas but overall looks great.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I like that you can pre-order Life by You for cheaper at $40. I think I'll be doing that sometime this summer, since the FAQ said the price will go up once it exits Early Access and is at Full Launch. And judging by how much AAA games go for with current inflation, I'd guess that'd be somewhere between $60~$80. IMO this game at $40 is worth it to me, but I wouldn't pay $80 for it. It doesn't seem to offer much more than Sims 3 does, aside from being more customizable and easier to mod. I'm really happy for the early access discount opportunity, especially since it comes with a limited time moped too. It's giving Sims Bustin' Out / TS3 World Adventures and I love that. <3
    edited March 2023
    edited March 2023
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited March 2023
    Also I'm a bit worried by the "tell your story" part they were talking about. Personally I'm a goal oriented player, not a storyteller, and one of my biggest peeves with 4 has always been how much they've been focusing on this "tell your story" type of gameplay as I don't play that way. I'm not someone who comes up with imaginative stories and wants a sandbox to bring those stories to life, so I hope they don't focus too heavily on that and they'll include gameplay to make the game fun for people with other playstyles too.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    This game is my calling. So many tools to create and share with limitless potential. This game is going to be a game changer for the Life Simulation genre. I will be pre-ordering as soon as it's available on Steam. The fact this game on pre-order is less expensive than a Sims 4 expansion pack says a lot too. A complete base game with complete tool sets and mechanics for less than the price of a Sims 4 DLC pack... I might just abandon Sims 4 completely.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    I wonder if the Project Rene devs will notice and if this game will affect the planning for Sims 5's features.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    This game is my calling. So many tools to create and share with limitless potential. This game is going to be a game changer for the Life Simulation genre. I will be pre-ordering as soon as it's available on Steam. The fact this game on pre-order is less expensive than a Sims 4 expansion pack says a lot too. A complete base game with complete tool sets and mechanics for less than the price of a Sims 4 DLC pack... I might just abandon Sims 4 completely.

I read that Steam doesn't allow preorders so the only way to preorder is through the Epic store. Once the game is released, you will be able to buy on Steam.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I watched both the 20 second trailer from last week and this week's deep dive announcement video today and preordered the game for early access as soon as it was over. It looks like Sims finally has some stiff competition with how customizable this game is. I was blown away by how much is actually customizable and the options menus. We are getting some deep development tools in this game. I will be providing feedback during Early Access this September.
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member

I read that Steam doesn't allow preorders so the only way to preorder is through the Epic store. Once the game is released, you will be able to buy on Steam.

Steam doesn't allow preorders on early access games but steam does allow early access. Most of my steam games are early access. I'm looking forward to LBY and being able to give suggestions during the early access.

I read that Steam doesn't allow preorders so the only way to preorder is through the Epic store.

EP13 Growing Together could be preordered on Steam.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'm already sold on the world customization add in cars and skateboards which I have always wanted but never got in a Sims game I'm sold getting this game on release. I do hope there is some major improvement on the characters especially their hair not a fan of what I have seen though better than the lego hair Sims 4 started with.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SimlingtonSimlington Posts: 26 Member
    Dialogue Trees and XP; there are some RPG mechanics after all.

The conversations greatly deflated my hype balloon, it felt so jarring to see that. LbY looks great for modders to create their own settings, I expect there will be lots of detailed worlds and stories created. I'll see what it's like in 18 months or so, but as it stands, I'm more interested in the character of The Sims.

Your move, Maxis.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,187 Member
    I don't like the conversation system.I think it would be better if the system is gibberish.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I don't like the conversation system.I think it would be better if the system is gibberish.

But do we know what these sims actually talk like? I didn’t hear anything.

The conversation system itself can be in any language that is supported by the game. Written conversation in the Sims is also translated from Simlish to something more comprehensible.

If Paradox is going for localized voice overs, I assume they will build in an Ai to generate VO. It wouldn’t be very cost effective to hire so may different voice actors.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top