Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Infant food testing and the future

Slightly confusing title but a feature I love with the infants pack is food testing and it made me think...outside a couple of traits and fruitcake there isn't actually anything that allows you to discovers older sims taste pallets.

It's been criticised that vegetarian and lactose intolerance are NOT personality traits. Could we see an expansion of this into either:

1- A Dine out Refresh. I know it's not really about food preferences but Dine Out is possibly the biggest pack which needs refreshing/fixing. Carl's Mod has proven its possible so could we see food preferences in a refresh?
2-A whole new pack/kit which focuses on food preferences....not ideal if they are going to leave Dine Out as broken as it is!

Another thought is that "My Wedding Stories" trailer hinted at cake preferences...could that have been par of the original plan and then switched out?

Comments

• RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 134 Member
    I’d love the food testing for infants if it worked correctly lol. I’m using a fresh save with no CC or mods, but for some reason whenever I go into CAS, infants forget all their food preferences and it’s reset.

But for the actual ideas, I’d love to see them implemented but as a patch maybe. It just doesn’t seem like it’d suit a kit or a pack very well.
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    I’d love the food testing for infants if it worked correctly lol. I’m using a fresh save with no CC or mods, but for some reason whenever I go into CAS, infants forget all their food preferences and it’s reset.

But for the actual ideas, I’d love to see them implemented but as a patch maybe. It just doesn’t seem like it’d suit a kit or a pack very well.

I don't think it would suit a kit either. My personal hunch is that this would suit a Dine Out Refresh but maybe I'm being too optimistic?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    That would be lovely. It annoys me when I see that there is an option to order favourite drink at bar but we can't set what the favourite drink is. Would love to be able to add a few dishes, vegetables and drinks to a likes/dislikes group. Also being able to set a preference for Italian, Mexican, Japanese etc. cuisine would be lovely too.
  • sarahthomas123sarahthomas123 Posts: 7 New Member
    > @chickenow said:
    > Slightly confusing title but a feature I love with the infants pack is food testing and it made me think...outside a couple of traits and fruitcake there isn't actually anything that allows you to discovers older sims taste pallets.
    >
    > It's been criticised that vegetarian and lactose intolerance are NOT personality traits. Could we see an expansion of this into either:
    >
    > 1- A Dine out Refresh. I know it's not really about food preferences but Dine Out is possibly the biggest pack which needs refreshing/fixing. Carl's Mod has proven its possible so could we see food preferences in a refresh?
    > 2-A whole new pack/kit which focuses on food preferences....not ideal if they are going to leave Dine Out as broken as it is!
    >
    > Another thought is that "My Wedding Stories" trailer hinted at cake preferences...could that have been par of the original plan and then switched out?

It's definitely an interesting idea to expand on the concept of food preferences in The Sims 4, and there are a few potential ways that could be done.

A Dine Out refresh could be a good opportunity to introduce new features related to food preferences, as the pack is all about running and managing a restaurant. Adding the ability for Sims to specify their dietary preferences or restrictions when dining out, and having those preferences affect their enjoyment of the meal, would certainly add a new level of depth to the experience.

Alternatively, a dedicated pack or kit focused on food preferences could be an interesting idea, particularly if it included new recipes, cooking equipment, and interactions related to preparing and serving meals that cater to specific tastes.

As for the cake preferences hinted at in the "My Wedding Stories" trailer, it's possible that was originally part of a larger feature related to food preferences that was ultimately cut or reworked. However, without more information it's hard to say for certain.

Overall, I think adding more depth and complexity to the food and dining experiences in The Sims 4 could be a welcome addition for players who enjoy that aspect of the game.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Hopefully toddlers have new finger foods as well and preferences to foods.
  • lunnarilalunnarila Posts: 221 Member
    I really wish they would add favourite and hated dish (and TV channel) in CAS preferences and I would be super happy
    > @chickenow said:
    > Slightly confusing title but a feature I love with the infants pack is food testing and it made me think...outside a couple of traits and fruitcake there isn't actually anything that allows you to discovers older sims taste pallets.
    >
    > It's been criticised that vegetarian and lactose intolerance are NOT personality traits. Could we see an expansion of this into either:
    >
    > 1- A Dine out Refresh. I know it's not really about food preferences but Dine Out is possibly the biggest pack which needs refreshing/fixing. Carl's Mod has proven its possible so could we see food preferences in a refresh?
    > 2-A whole new pack/kit which focuses on food preferences....not ideal if they are going to leave Dine Out as broken as it is!
    >
    > Another thought is that "My Wedding Stories" trailer hinted at cake preferences...could that have been par of the original plan and then switched out?

It's definitely an interesting idea to expand on the concept of food preferences in The Sims 4, and there are a few potential ways that could be done.

A Dine Out refresh could be a good opportunity to introduce new features related to food preferences, as the pack is all about running and managing a restaurant. Adding the ability for Sims to specify their dietary preferences or restrictions when dining out, and having those preferences affect their enjoyment of the meal, would certainly add a new level of depth to the experience.

Alternatively, a dedicated pack or kit focused on food preferences could be an interesting idea, particularly if it included new recipes, cooking equipment, and interactions related to preparing and serving meals that cater to specific tastes.

As for the cake preferences hinted at in the "My Wedding Stories" trailer, it's possible that was originally part of a larger feature related to food preferences that was ultimately cut or reworked. However, without more information it's hard to say for certain.

Overall, I think adding more depth and complexity to the food and dining experiences in The Sims 4 could be a welcome addition for players who enjoy that aspect of the game.

Agreed its impossible to say if cake preferences were there and I certainly wouldn't want to set any expectations there....

However I've found lately that Dine Out is still oddly broken, not like Wedding Stories which is broken from design....it feels like fixes are being held back such as the extraordinarily long time it takes to actually have a meal (despite them having fixed eating times in BG.)

As Modders have have proved there are some fixes as well as adding other dining options which wouldn't really push the pack anymore than Spa Day Refresh did so I'm definately hoping a refresh is on the cards alongside food preferences...
    chickenow wrote: »
    > @chickenow said:
    >
    >
    >

Agreed its impossible to say if cake preferences were there and I certainly wouldn't want to set any expectations there....

However I've found lately that Dine Out is still oddly broken, not like Wedding Stories which is broken from design....it feels like fixes are being held back such as the extraordinarily long time it takes to actually have a meal (despite them having fixed eating times in BG.)

As Modders have have proved there are some fixes as well as adding other dining options which wouldn't really push the pack anymore than Spa Day Refresh did so I'm definately hoping a refresh is on the cards alongside food preferences...

I can see why it would take them longer to eat in a restaurant than at home, but I really wish they would fix this pack. The cooks stay outside until after you have placed your order and once food is delivered sometimes they just take it and eat it standing up. I had a sim try to eat it while sitting on her knees, but she remembered she also had a drink so got up to take the drink and then finished eating while standing. I am more annoyed by the fact that these are new bugs and the pack worked better on release than it does now, so it's not like it's unfixable.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited March 2023
    How about food testing for elders? Maybe as an event at the Rec Center? :wink:

Seriously, I'd welcome food preferences. But I think food dishes in TS4 are a bit more complicate regarding health and ingredients, so instead of picking one dish directly, I sort of would like the game to calculate it, or at least find candidates. If lactose and vegetarian is moved to preferences (I know, it's normally not a choice), there could also be food preferences such as like/dislike sweet, salty, spicy, fish, meat, hot, cold, bbq, etc. Eating poor quality dish, should count negatively towards favorite dishes, excellent might count positively. Something you eat often might become more of a favorite than what you eat only once in your lifetime. Although it might be a bit far fetched infant/toddler favorites could be one of several factors. After some time the game will know a few dishes that looks to be a sim's favorites. Of course we should also be able to choose directly (for story telling etc.).
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    The cooks stay outside until after you have placed your order

Lol, I just assume that the chefs are constantly taking a smoking break every chance they get.
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Lol, I just assume that the chefs are constantly taking a smoking break every chance they get.

No they just stay outside until after you have placed your order. After that they get inside and stay there.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member

No they just stay outside until after you have placed your order. After that they get inside and stay there.

Just reset the chef when you arrive and they will go to work right away (SHIFT + left click, I think).
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member

That was a joke. :)
    How about food testing for elders? Maybe as an event at the Rec Center? :wink:

Seriously, I'd welcome food preferences. But I think food dishes in TS4 are a bit more complicate regarding health and ingredients, so instead of picking one dish directly, I sort of would like the game to calculate it, or at least find candidates. If lactose and vegetarian is moved to preferences (I know, it's normally not a choice), there could also be food preferences such as like/dislike sweet, salty, spicy, fish, meat, hot, cold, bbq, etc. Eating poor quality dish, should count negatively towards favorite dishes, excellent might count positively. Something you eat often might become more of a favorite than what you eat only once in your lifetime. Although it might be a bit far fetched infant/toddler favorites could be one of several factors. After some time the game will know a few dishes that looks to be a sim's favorites. Of course we should also be able to choose directly (for story telling etc.).

Oh wow! I never actually thought of it that way! My thought process was that you could literally pick a recipe as a preference ie Grilled Cheese but your idea sounds so much better and allows Sims to explore different foods they might like! 🤩
  • mollie1998mollie1998 Posts: 446 Member
    When my sims baby tried yogurt she didn’t like it at first and then when she tried it again she started liking it and now she eats it everyday and that’s her favorite food