Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life By You/ Paradox Tectonic [How to Manage a Household. PG. 5]

Comments

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Monet11 wrote: »
    There's an interesting interview with Mr. Humble in PCGames . (Not sure if I am allowed to link to it, so I won't). It's dated March 2020. He talks about his new game without talking about his new game.

Taken directly from the interview:
    " We’re mirroring what Paradox is about, which is making games that respect the intelligence of the audience, and which also embrace mods."
    " We’re trying to make a very vast experience in which, hopefully, people will find and create beauty."
    "The other thing we’re trying to do from a gameplay perspective is make a very, very deep game. In fact, maybe the deepest game I’ve ever worked on..."
    " In fact, the idea – particularly with our new project – is when you hit a fail state we’re going to give you an opportunity to see a really cool story, so you might even want to try and engineer a fail state, just because it’s really cool and it will open up new gameplay."

I am so looking forward to getting more information on this.

I remember that interview with Rod Humble and this is exactly what got me excited about the game. He speaks of an open world that you can interact with and explore, pretty much without limitations.

A bit of healthy competition in the life sim genre is necessary right now so that companies are forced to keep raising their standards.
    The reason that few studios tackle this particular simulator subgenre is because it’s incredibly complex, and tends to attract an audience that is extremely demanding….I mean look at The Sims and its player base….Good Heavens. What a way to learn from actual human behavior and program it into your game. No wonder it gets a little chaotic and glitched at times. 😅

I’m curious as to what Life By You’s target audience is and how Paradox Tectonic will eventually market the game?
    I’m sure the teaser shows early development aesthetics, but so far it looks quite “mature” and realistic to me. Being a dude who’s not a teenage girl my reaction was very much like: cool, boats, cars and motorcycles. Give me. Now.*

Although it's giving Sims 2 & Sims 3 vibes (thanks to the music, especially), I have a feeling LBY is not going to be as goofy as The Sims which I believe is a good thing. It’s important that the game has its own USP…following the Sims’ approach wouldn’t be interesting since The Sims already exists. Let The Sims be The Sims. At the same time this must be quite the challenge for Rod Humble since his background is The Sims. That’s a lot of ‘The Sims’ right there.
    Really looking forward to hearing more about Mr. Humble’s approach on the 20th!

Yeh Yeh, I know of plenty of teenage girls who are into boats, cars and motorcycles, so just in case folks, please don’t bite my head off, ye know exactly what I meant. 💚
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I'm really excited by this. I much prefer the look of this to Paralives as the art style of it just isn't for me. The Sims needs competition, so even if it isn't exactly up my street, I'm hoping this will make EA wake up a bit and start investing more in The Sims, as at the moment it seems like they are treating The Sims as a cash cow - put as little effort in and people will buy it anyway as they have a monopoly.

I'm looking forward to March 20th, I am trying not to get my hopes up, but I'm getting really excited about it.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,645 Member
    Good to see The Sims franchise getting some competition. Competition is always great for us gamers.

Love the open world and ability to drive a vehicle to where you want to go. The lack of these basics in Sims 4 is what mostly turned me off to it and the reason that I haven't played 4 in years now.

Excited to hear how this game turns out and maybe even find out for myself if the reviews from players are good.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I am more excited about this then about "Growing together". I wonder how they are going to solve things like traits and aspiration without copying the Sims game.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I didn't think I would be interested in another simulation game. Not even sure about Sims 5. But seeing this one has piqued my interest! The landscapes/trees are beautiful, plus an open world, cars, and the beach! I noticed there was a volleyball net, sunbathers, and surfboards, so am assuming a lot will be in the base game. Looking forward to hearing more in the future! I remember the Rod Humble sim who would deliver a computer to your house in sims 2, and with how much I loved Sims 2 and 3, I am sure I would enjoy another game that he is involved in developing.
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,420 Member

I’m curious as to what Life By You’s target audience is and how Paradox Tectonic will eventually market the game?
    I’m sure the teaser shows early development aesthetics, but so far it looks quite “mature” and realistic to me. Being a dude who’s not a teenage girl my reaction was very much like: cool, boats, cars and motorcycles. Give me. Now.*
    Yeh Yeh, I know of plenty of teenage girls who are into boats, cars and motorcycles, so just in case folks, please don’t bite my head off, ye know exactly what I meant. 💚

I'm not entirely sure of the target audience, but it's probably pretty wide - Anyone who loves simulations. 🤣

Not being a dude, but having been a teenage girl at one time, my reaction was like: OH, I'm gonna slow this video down. Wow those trees are green. She's doing yoga on top of the mountain, that's what? some kind of dog/ sunshine/ open your spine move? I don't remember. She just laid that mat down anywhere she wanted, that's cool. Those clouds are great and look at that person walking down the mountain, there's no trail, they don't have to follow trails, they can go anywhere they want, that's awesome. What a great pink car, and motorcycles, and look at that bus. I love that pink color. Wow they have public transport. I wonder if this game will be able to be integrated with Cities Skylines and you can import a map and have your little people live in the city you have built. How awesome would that be. There's not a lot of people, wonder why? Could be lots of reasons. I can't wait for the 20th. Man those stairs are steep. Is that little hearts around those people? (rewinds video) Yes it's little hearts. Oh, nice. I'd die if I had to walk up and down those stairs every day. Why do they have to make the walls so tall? Must be some kind of programming thing. Sims walls are tall too. I'm not a fan of tall walls, but I like ceiling fans. Ooh, build mode, hope it's not hard to manage. Look at that blue ocean. Wow and that beach looks great. I could totally go for a trip to the beach. ooh volleyball.. nice. Wonder what else this game will have. It's too cold right now, though unless I went to Miami. I don't want to go to Miami. This game looks really interesting. I hope it's awesome. I wouldn't have to go to Miami. I could go to Charleston, but it's too cold in Charleston.

😂😂 Man: point and grunt. Everyone understands. Woman: get lost in the brambles. No one has any idea what she's talking about. 😂😂

Inner dialogue is why some of us never know what's going on in a movie. Except Lord of the Rings. I freakin' paid attention to LOTR.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I think teen girl might be it's main , but not full audience.
    edited March 2023
    I'm not entirely sure of the target audience, but it's probably pretty wide - Anyone who loves simulations. 🤣
    Hmmm...a rather astute observation…🧐
    Not being a dude, but having been a teenage girl at one time, my reaction was like: OH, I'm gonna slow this video down. Wow those trees are green. She's doing yoga on top of the mountain, that's what? some kind of dog/ sunshine/ open your spine move? I don't remember. She just laid that mat down anywhere she wanted, that's cool. Those clouds are great and look at that person walking down the mountain, there's no trail, they don't have to follow trails, they can go anywhere they want, that's awesome. What a great pink car, and motorcycles, and look at that bus. I love that pink color. Wow they have public transport. I wonder if this game will be able to be integrated with Cities Skylines and you can import a map and have your little people live in the city you have built. How awesome would that be. There's not a lot of people, wonder why? Could be lots of reasons. I can't wait for the 20th. Man those stairs are steep. Is that little hearts around those people? (rewinds video) Yes it's little hearts. Oh, nice. I'd die if I had to walk up and down those stairs every day. Why do they have to make the walls so tall? Must be some kind of programming thing. Sims walls are tall too. I'm not a fan of tall walls, but I like ceiling fans. Ooh, build mode, hope it's not hard to manage. Look at that blue ocean. Wow and that beach looks great. I could totally go for a trip to the beach. ooh volleyball.. nice. Wonder what else this game will have. It's too cold right now, though unless I went to Miami. I don't want to go to Miami. This game looks really interesting. I hope it's awesome. I wouldn't have to go to Miami. I could go to Charleston, but it's too cold in Charleston.
    In all fairness now, I was able to follow you pretty ok there: I believe it had something to do with a lethal staircase made out of trees, a city skyline that looks like a bus, a pink ceiling fan that generates dogs and love hearts and it being too cold for doing beach yoga on a surfboard in Charleston. Miami. No. Charleston...

Wait, let me re-view this...

A good visual representation of my personal internal dialogue would be a H.U.D (Heads-Up Display): think large screen interface of a robot’s POV.
    I scan my direct environment in a very similar fashion and I have this amazing ability to identify assets in my surroundings as either ‘THREAT’ or ‘NON-THREAT’, and in some cases ‘YES’ ‘ NO’ or ‘PENDING’.
    Internal dialogue of me watching teaser:
    CPTN_NXR7 <input "can.sim.swim.in.ocean" yes / no / pending ~ output = PENDING>

Translation: Captain does not know yet if sim can swim in ocean.

Or
    CPTN_NXR7 <input "car" threat / non- threat ~ output = NON-THREAT>

followed by:
    CPTN_NXR7 <input "can.sim.drive.car." yes / no / pending ~ output = PENDING>

Translation: Captain likes car. Captain does not know yet if sim can drive car.

And yes, the ‘output’ is often accompanied - or in most cases, replaced by - a simple grunt.
    😂😂 Man: point and grunt. Everyone understands. Woman: get lost in the brambles. No one has any idea what she's talking about. 😂😂

I'm afraid I cannot disagree. 😂
    Inner dialogue is why some of us never know what's going on in a movie. Except Lord of the Rings. I freakin' paid attention to LOTR.

Unless you have ancillary H.U.D supported internal dialogue. Unlike some, I understood every Christopher Nolan movie the first time and I’m capable of explaining each one of them backwards in 6 different dimensions.🤓

I do however struggle with interpreting the so called ‘chick flicks’ or 'RomComs'. I don’t know what it means. Help. Yelp.
    I’m delighted to hear that you paid attention to the LOTR movies! So what did you think of Tom Bombadil? 😜

I feel myself slowly driftin' off topic again. I blame the hill top yoga. It threw me off balance.
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,420 Member

I have a lot of questions about this game. But my biggest one is this: This isn't going to be an online multiplayer game, is it? The lack of very many cims in the trailer would make sense if it was multiplayer. I hope it isn't. That would be a critical hit for me.

I scan my direct environment in a very similar fashion and I have this amazing ability to identify assets in my surroundings as either ‘THREAT’ or ‘NON-THREAT’, and in some cases ‘YES’ ‘ NO’ or ‘PENDING’.
    I assumed that this was close to how all men operated, with the addition of a separate screen for sports and a bin for everything that was irrelevant.
    <input "Chick Flick" irrelevant = dispose in bin> <input "Sports" = accessing database of all known statistics across all sub-sports headings and cross - referencing for current event being scanned>

Unless you have ancillary H.U.D supported internal dialogue. Unlike some, I understood every Christopher Nolan movie the first time and I’m capable of explaining each one of them backwards in 6 different dimensions.🤓
    Stellar. 😎

I’m delighted to hear that you paid attention to the LOTR movies! So what did you think of Tom Bombadil? 😜
    One does not simply walk into a discussion of Tom Bombadil on a thread not dedicated to Tom Bombadil. It is folly.

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

I have a lot of questions about this game. But my biggest one is this: This isn't going to be an online multiplayer game, is it? The lack of very many cims in the trailer would make sense if it was multiplayer. I hope it isn't. That would be a critical hit for me.

I assumed that this was close to how all men operated, with the addition of a separate screen for sports and a bin for everything that was irrelevant.
    <input "Chick Flick" irrelevant = dispose in bin> <input "Sports" = accessing database of all known statistics across all sub-sports headings and cross - referencing for current event being scanned>

Stellar. 😎

One does not simply walk into a discussion of Tom Bombadil on a thread not dedicated to Tom Bombadil. It is folly.

I think your worrying too much this supposed to be a life sim.If it was co op or online game they would have said so.
    edited March 2023
    I doubt the game will be online multiplayer.
    Showing too many sims (cims?) in LBY’s very first sneak peak might be too overwhelming for the audience (I admit that sounds like utter nonsense) plus I think these pixel people are still in development. Nothing looks final to me. They merely want us to see the world and some of the possibilities, at least that’s what I believe.

Here’s my biggest question: Is the game going to offer a world editing/ building tool?
    If the answer is yes and it works similar to Sims 3’s CAW, I’m most definitely in.

Can’t wait for all the answers to all our questions!

I have all the basic functions installed, including bin, although I‘m not equipped with the extra sports screen. That would be a different kind of man-unit. Why watch sports when instead I can just go on active outdoor adventures?
    I was shipped with creative software and unfortunately this takes up all the available screen space. I was also falsely -advertised as being “FOOL PROOF’. I say ‘falsely-advertised’, because this feature never really worked as intended. At least I’m waterproof.

How convenient. 😅

EDIT:
    Spelling/ grammar…like…basic English… 🤦🏻‍♂️
    I should stop writing. It doesn’t suit me. 😆
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I think it looks nice I might get it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    A potential The Sims competitor from Paradox finally reveals the reveal of their game.
    https://youtu.be/ZNhV-Gnjdy8

First impression?
    Not quite feeling it.

Probably still in early development, but I think The Sims will have more style/smexiness than this.
    But I welcome competition to the genre.

But what I mean by my impression is that when I first heard about Paradox probably making a Sims game, my immediate concern was the art style of their "Cims". The art style for people in their games have been on the cartoonish side, and I feared their Cims would look like refined versions of these from Cities Skylines.
    Screenshot_2023-03-06_at_12-16-44_maxresdefault.jpg_(JPEG_Image_1280_720_pixels).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

They didn't show the faces of their Cims, but I have a feeling I will prefer TS4/TS5 sims over theirs.

Cars, public transportation, open world (possibly?) I like that however.
    We will get more info on March 20th. I would like to know about the game play.

I am looking forward to this. The car driving down the road was excellent! There must be an element of open world for the car to be using the road? 🤔. Also that beach lot! 😊 I hope there’s an ice cream shop and maybe you can rent a towel. 😊

What will the pixalated people be called… Lifers? 🤔😂

To grab me straight away though there would have to be minimal patching, an option to decline free add on content or at the very least have opt-out buttons to skip undesired life stages.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Ahhhh, so THIS is where the LBY lovers are hiding! I kept looking at the post in the Project Rene thread about it and hardly anybody was commenting in it.

I am SUUUUUUPPPPPEEEERRRRRR excited! So much more excited for this than I have been since TS3!

TS4 sadly has nevah, evah been my jam. Don't care for the playschool style thick and chunky, clunky furniture, the odd color swatches they choose that never matches any other pack's content, the clay hair, the straight line eyelashes, the painted smeary grass, and biggest pet peeve ever is the inability to modify, edit our worlds, let alone create our own! AND let's not forget the huge worlds with fake, fake, fake movie set back-drops and literally either 5 or 12 buildable lots!

And, then we have the whole over-the-top emotions and don't get me started about how every sim of mine basically acts/obsesses over the exact same thing regardless of traits!

So yeah ..... been dreaming of something to come along to pique my interest and get me excited for over 8 years now! Paralives is also not my jam, I don't like the look of the Parafolks, AT ALL!

Anyway, you can obviously tell I'm super excited, come on next week!

Although, there were some concerns of mine, I do love that the world appears to be open and much more detailed and realistic in a video game way without being uncanny valley realistic.

But, I saw what appeared to be a fake building where the motorcycles are parked, you can't see through the windows. But, this could be cause it's still early in production. I hope that won't be the norm.

The people also look very rough! Maybe creating characters is the last thing they do and these are just placeholders to test the world routing and game play mechanics. But you would think they would have somewhat more detailed characters, unless it's still super early in development. And then you have to have a variety of hairs and clothing, shoes, for every age which would take a long time I imagine.

The game studio was announced 4 years ago, but maybe the team was still small for some of those years.

Irregardless if it's not quite a 100% "Life Sim" I'm still sure it's a game that I'd enjoy and be able to get lost in especially since Rod Humble is involved and he knows what players wanted in a life sim, so that's a big plus in my books!

Anyway, I'll be right here with all of the LBY'rs anticipating more info!
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I would love for this game to be a blend of Sims 2 and 3!
  • Princess of Da'varhPrincess of Da'varh Posts: 344 Member
    They also announced Cities Skylines II, coming this year. B)

Ooo sweet 🙂 I'm so excited for Cities Skylines II!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited March 2023
    I'm really excited to hear more about this, the art style is exactly what I've been wanting from a life sim game for a while and I've been desperately hoping for a big company to make a competitor game for ages. (Paralives is nice but I think if it ever is released it'll be limited for now by the small team indie game aspect).

This to me feels like Sims 3 but improved, and if it's being made by people who worked on Sims 2/3 we know they can make a good game too. Some things could use improvement though (the people and the furniture) so I'm hoping this is an early preview. I'm interested to see where this'll go.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited March 2023
    But what I mean by my impression is that when I first heard about Paradox probably making a Sims game, my immediate concern was the art style of their "Cims". The art style for people in their games have been on the cartoonish side, and I feared their Cims would look like refined versions of these from Cities Skylines.
    Screenshot_2023-03-06_at_12-16-44_maxresdefault.jpg_(JPEG_Image_1280_720_pixels).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

They didn't show the faces of their Cims, but I have a feeling I will prefer TS4/TS5 sims over theirs.

I doubt this'll really have much effect on the character graphics, the Sims 4 has the same thing in some worlds and they don't really reflect the actual sims much at all in my opinion. They're just very, very basic character models. They're supposed to be simple and just vaguely resemble people to fill the area, the actual game characters hopefully will be a lot different.

weUY1DppOFsVX7bHVhDj5ugvgouqmf5-zHtKG3gHjVg.jpg?auto=webp&s=d75d9e7fbfe750c2d68448d15041a0204870b1c0
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I am definitely looking forward to this. To be fair I also reached end-of-interest with Sims 4 about a year ago; I have almost 4000 hours in the game but somewhere after buying Werewolves I just... never felt like starting it again. It doesn't help with all the stupid stuff the devs claim is on purpose, like werewolves while raging checking their phones.

Remember this game is published by the same people who published Cities: Skylines, the game that as I said before pushed Sim City's face into the sand and took it's lunch money.

Of course there are a lot of people who think Sims 4 is the bees knees, and as I said I have thousands upon thousands hours playing it, but the main reason is that there literally isn't another similar game out there. Vanilla Sims 4 was, and still is, a HUGE step backwards not only from Sims 3 but also Sims 2.

Anyway, the talk about "Fail states on purpose" certainly sound like the Crusader Kings games, where you might start as a king of France and end 400 years later as a count in the corner of Ireland after a lot of interesting adventures by your family.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Anyone watched the reveal ?
    I am disappointed in the EGS exclusive thing, as I dislike Tencent with every fiber of my being.
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Anyone watched the reveal ?
    I am disappointed in the EGS exclusive thing, as I dislike Tencent with every fiber of my being.

Yup, looks promising, particularly for storytelling and world building but seems quite unfinished. I hope they polish it before early release and the final official release.

They also have early release on Steam if you don't mind waiting until September 12.
    Happy simming!
  • acdoobacdoob Posts: 6 New Member
    > @happyopi said:
    > Anyone watched the reveal ?
    > I am disappointed in the EGS exclusive thing, as I dislike Tencent with every fiber of my being.

Fortunate for us though, apparently we can just recreate lol. I cannot believe how much this game made Sims 4 look bad. Sims 4 release vs Early access Life by You (and it's not even out yet so it's not finished.) Is embarrassing. They have features that Sims 4 can't have and features that it already does have that we had to pay extra for. I'm glad this came out. Hopefully it gives EA the kick in the butt it needed.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited March 2023
    I'm sure I'm missing something, but while the customization options look wonderful, I'm not seeing how "my stories" go beyond Dramas and Rom-Coms. It may offer more control, but I'm not seeing any stories I can tell in Life By You that I can't tell in The Sims.

And honestly, if I have to do that much work to set it up, I may as well just write a TTRPG adventure... or a book.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited March 2023
    [EDIT]
    I came across some info that there was a live stream. I have not seen it yet, so I am off to track it down.
    https://www.youtube.com/live/7zmUQfTodoE?feature=share

:p Epic Game Store.
    I will not be participating in Early Access.

I am intrigued by the all the creator tools.
    It should be a very different experience than The Sims. Plus I loved open world in TS3, so this just might be better than that. But I won't know until September.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm missing something, but while the customization options look wonderful, I'm not seeing how "my stories" go beyond Dramas and Rom-Coms. It may offer more control, but I'm not seeing any stories I can tell in Life By You that I can't tell in The Sims.

And honestly, if I have to do that much work to set it up, I may as well just write a TTRPG adventure... or a book.

First of all, "stories" is not the issue here, NO version of the Sims have been able to do more than Dramas and Rom-Coms, I am not sure why you expected this game to do more than that, and in that case what "more" exactly? Splatter horror? Space travel? Racing game?

The issue here are things that you are not interested in, like freedom of movement, freedom of creation, open world etc etc. Plus already in the trailer you can see a more detailed system for workplaces, cooking etc. Reminds me of Sims 2.

As for the graphical style: Not to my liking, but then It DOES look very close to what a lot of CC creators go for for the Sims 4. Plastic doll look instead of cartoon look.

I am still very hyped for this game.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek