Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should Modders Have New Pack Game Files In Advance?

lousha_lovelousha_love Posts: 45 Member
edited March 2023 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
With new expansion packs, game packs, and other updates, we know some mods will break. With a NDA in place between EA/Maxis and Modders, do you think modders should have the new game pack, game files before the new pack is released? This will allow some of our favorite mods to be updated and ready the same day we purchase and start playing the new pack.

Should Modders Have New Pack Game Files In Advance? 33 votes

yes
57%
bandit5haneulAnmirlaMissyHissyWinifred_Willowlexus20EnkiSchmidtLSM36lousha_loveVivi_WillowTreeWildIrishBansheeSeashoreLivianaeshelleskipLoLyChupailona_2000FutureIzzy_The_Potatocelysims 19 votes
No
42%
Sara1010Predrogue60lisamwittPlayerSinger2010g01denswanBabykittyjadeFinvolaBooDaBoo5SERVERFRAChildrenofhurinArarineHavenRoseRapidRabidRabbitFiddiCent 14 votes

Comments

• bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    yes
    but ea not care about Modders just the game itself.
  • lousha_lovelousha_love Posts: 45 Member
    yes
    bandit5 wrote: »
    but ea not care about Modders just the game itself.

I know, but EA is about Money... I'm not talking about the gurus... Maybe if EA can find a way to make enough profit, seeing that they are pushing everyone to the EA App in the long run, where downloading mods and cc is "easier and more convenient"... Of course, they will split the profit with Modders and cc creators, who also should be compensated for their genius and making the game worth playing in all these years... As we have seen over the years, EA work with modders and cc creators, so is this such a bad idea? Can this work?
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    yes
    depending on how bad mc mod break a fix could be in a few days so it will have the new life stage and the new age increases so that everything works right.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited March 2023
    No
    Nope not in my opinion. I'm a mod user myself so I get the desire for quick mod updates but it's better to just be patient.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    yes
    Yes, but I wouldn't say ALL of them. More like the must haves like MCCC/UI Cheats/etc, then maybe certain ones after that. Otherwise, who would pay for the game? :D
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    No
    The idea sounds convenient, but it could start all sorts of problems. How would they pick which modders get early access - does there need to be proof of a certain number of users? What would happen if a modder with access decided they wanted to branch out into mods that don't mesh with the current rating? Some modders currently offer early access with delayed public release on Patreon - would they have to stop that since they're being compensated with early access? What happens to a modder if life happens and they can't update by the release but already have the game? There seem to be a lot ways it could get ugly very quickly despite being well intentioned for the convenience of players.

Personally, I'd rather have EA dedicate their labor hours to developing the product rather than take on the additional layers of community management this would require. Mods generally get updated fast enough after a big update/launch that it's not like the players who delay for mod updates are at risk of losing out on the preorder bonus content if they wait to purchase.
  • RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 134 Member
    No
    While a good idea in theory, it’d probably just overly complicate things. The comment above me already addressed most of it, but also, the early access given to Game Changers isn’t even the final version of the pack. My guess is even up until the end, they’re still working on the pack, so it’d be kind of impossible to give out early versions to modders.

Besides, mods and CC are not EA’s obligation to maintain.
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    yes
    Sure. Now let me create a Patreon and become a “new modder” so I can sign up to get future packs for free. :D
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    No
    Embracing modders and those who use mods is enough, and not something we really had before. They've certainly always been aware of modders and CC makers, but they never went so far as to have checkboxes in the game menu, have a file set aside for mods, or make a forum for them.

But going from embracing to endorsing puts them at risk of liability. What if whoever they tasked with checking mods before they go into the game didn't catch something they needed to? There'd be some parent out there whose 13 year old used an adult oriented mod accidentally endorsed by EA and they'd sue. Or players would be up in arms when something they endorsed made games unplayable. It's much safer for EA to just say, use mods at your own risk and not be directly involved.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Embracing modders and those who use mods is enough, and not something we really had before. They've certainly always been aware of modders and CC makers, but they never went so far as to have checkboxes in the game menu, have a file set aside for mods, or make a forum for them.

But going from embracing to endorsing puts them at risk of liability. What if whoever they tasked with checking mods before they go into the game didn't catch something they needed to? There'd be some parent out there whose 13 year old used an adult oriented mod accidentally endorsed by EA and they'd sue. Or players would be up in arms when something they endorsed made games unplayable. It's much safer for EA to just say, use mods at your own risk and not be directly involved.

The strength of the Sims community has been mods -- Maxis released tools to create custom content (Homecrafter, etc) before the original game was even released. That said, giving modders early access is impracticable given the need for vetting, and the fact that games are still being developed and polished up to release time -- and afterwards.
  • LoLyChupaLoLyChupa Posts: 27 Member
    yes
    It could be useful to avoid mods breaking and it can also improve the quality of the pack because they can test them before they are accessible to all. So it would avoid a lot of bugs and discontent from simmers.