Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wait a moment! (A potental realization about the Michaelson family)

HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
So I was rewatching the Growing Together gameplay trailer and noticed a detail. Sebastian, the grandfather, has a son at around 1:27 in the trailer. I was like "huh, also had a son." But then with the early gameplay footage and like the descriptions of the Michaelson family mentioned adoption for Orion and Altas and then a lightbulb came into my head.

Is Celeste transgender!?

-immedately throws sign above head reading "Trans Rights"-
Townie/NPC lore nerd!

Comments

• bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    yeah ash from high school pack is also transgender
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Not seeing what you're talking about when I looked at the trailer..

Saw him at the splash pad with another guy, who I assume was his best friend of sorts given the Milestone and in the next scene looks like they also worked together who he might have been a workplace rival that got him fired.

The baby with his wife looks to be a girl I figured Celeste is just a pretty fit, wide shouldered female sim.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    there is girls who work out and that make them look less feminine.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,020 Member
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    bandit5 wrote: »
    yeah ash from high school pack is also transgender

Non-binary, I think; Ash's pronouns are they/them.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Gordy wrote: »

That's awesome!
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2023
    Nothing against them including trans premades but I think they should make it more obvious if they play around with the more obscure settings that a lot of players don’t use.

People will play this family as they are the trailer family and there’s no cues to suggest they cant have additional children. Most players don’t bother going that deep into the menus and wouldn’t surprise me if people think she is bugged.

As a general thing, I wish they wouldn’t play around too much with the premades options in CAS as we can customise them ourselves. It’s annoying to have to keep checking sims to see if they marked them as not exploring romantically and now we’ve got to check if they can have children or if they are going to have bad compatibility with everyone.

I think they should just focus on making them look fun and colourful like the original townies were and let people do with them whatever they like.
  • RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member
    I think her name is a tribute to the classical game Celeste, which tells a trans girl discovering her gender identity in the mountain adventure ;)
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    Maybe they just clicked the wrong button.
    edited March 2023
    Took a look into the panel and noticed that setting when I went in to edit the family. Pretty interesting as there was no direct indication for it though I thought her physique was just a little off. Weird choice to say she can get others pregnant AND produce milk? What's the point if she can't get pregnant? Wonder if they meant to put no for that option.

Had to fix her side profile, because it's kinda...woof.

But the other family Robles, definitely more obvious that there's a transgender.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    I think her name is a tribute to the classical game Celeste, which tells a trans girl discovering her gender identity in the mountain adventure ;)

It is from EA (or an studio absorbed by EA?)
    edited March 2023
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Took a look into the panel and noticed that setting when I went in to edit the family. Pretty interesting as there was no direct indication for it though I thought her physique was just a little off. Weird choice to say she can get others pregnant AND produce milk? What's the point if she can't get pregnant? Wonder if they meant to put no for that option.

I think it can explain why the Michaelsons adopted two kids. Getting others pregnant and producing milk can make a subtle balance in the HRT, and it just stands for the potential in order to recognize her gender more easily instead of the biologically full function.
    But the other family Robles, definitely more obvious that there's a transgender.

To be more precise, I think Jay Robles is non-binary. They has a masculine frame and the thickest body hair in all townies in this world.

leo3487 wrote: »

It is from EA (or an studio absorbed by EA?)

No, It is an indie game and won the GAME OF THE YEAR in The Game Awards, which attracts more public attention to the LGBT+ community.
    Post edited by RandomTokenCode on
    edited March 2023

I think it can explain why the Michaelsons adopted two kids. Getting others pregnant and producing milk can make a subtle balance in the HRT, and it just stands for the potential in order to recognize her gender more easily instead of the biologically full function.

To be more precise, I think he is non-binary. He has a masculine frame and the thickest body hair in all townies in this world.

Never heard of it just seem rather odd choice. I kinda changed it to her being able to have kid (ironically enough they are made with her genetics just look at their noses, especially getting older.) But thanks for the explanation.

Ah, not that one. Meant the other family that's just the couple of the toddler Robles-Rhodes I think it was? Woman dressed all in black with a toddler all in black (lol the bad fashion choice). Had wondered why they had both their last names, but guess they just hyphened it.
    5vJrxmT.png
    edited March 2023
    Ah, not that one. Meant the other family that's just the couple of the toddler Robles-Rhodes I think it was? Woman dressed all in black with a toddler all in black (lol the bad fashion choice). Had wondered why they had both their last names, but guess they just hyphened it.
    @LadyKyn I had got it and I edit my previous answer to be more specific. I think it is a hyphen, too. And we can conclude from the toddler surname that the smaller Robles family is matriarchal.
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member

To be more precise, I think he is non-binary. He has a masculine frame and the thickest body hair in all townies in this world.

Never heard of it just seem rather odd choice. I kinda changed it to her being able to have kid (ironically enough they are made with her genetics just look at their noses, especially getting older.) But thanks for the explanation.

When I first saw that Robles household I thought it was a single mother with 2 kids, teenage son and toddler. Just looking at them without reading the description I never would have assumed they were a married couple.
    Future wrote: »
    When I first saw that Robles household I thought it was a single mother with 2 kids, teenage son and toddler. Just looking at them without reading the description I never would have assumed they were a married couple.

Yeah, what I thought too. Masculine clothing just don't fit well at all on sims with feminine frames and so distorted it's just so unflattering. Wish they would fix that. :( Decided to change her to a male since I was curious to how the sim would look and he looks pretty normal in physique, so guess they made the male sim first and just changed their gender.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Wait, then Maxis made her wrong to be TG
    Should be male frame and female sex, then can get others pregnant and can pee stand
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,459 Member
    tegteg87 wrote: »
    I disagree - I think it’s amazing for inclusivity. I think not drawing attention to the fact she’s trans whilst using the family in all the promo for the pack is great - they weren’t drawn into tokenism for publicity. You only find out if you’re playing the family and take the time to get to know them by scratching the surface of who they are. If you’re only interacting with them on a surface level it’s not relevant. It only becomes relevant when you’re playing from their POV. Plus it’s creating characters with rich and interesting back stories. Love it!

I almost agree, however, the bolded part sounds a bit too on the nose for me, so I’ll take this a step further:

I’m glad Celeste wasn’t promoted as being one thing or another, that way we can make up our own minds about who this sim is or what she ‘identifies’ as if we so choose. Sure, some may recognize her as being ‘trans’, others see this sim as simply having a quirky set of gender characteristics. So what? In a game in which males can get impregnated by aliens (or are these males trans now? ) this stuff is only relevant in terms of what story every individual wants to tell and what feels important to them.
    Whatever is done with the information given is up to each player and I like to think that’s what this game is all about. 👍🏼
  • itsTheSimsGuyitsTheSimsGuy Posts: 77 Member
    > @tegteg87 said:
    > I disagree - I think it’s amazing for inclusivity. I think not drawing attention to the fact she’s trans whilst using the family in all the promo for the pack is great - they weren’t drawn into tokenism for publicity. You only find out if you’re playing the family and take the time to get to know them by scratching the surface of who they are. If you’re only interacting with them on a surface level it’s not relevant. It only becomes relevant when you’re playing from their POV. Plus it’s creating characters with rich and interesting back stories. Love it!

Gotta say this is where I sit.

Most trans people don’t want you to know they’re trans that’s kinda the point; that they “pass”

Making them stick out like very obvious sore thumbs ain’t it. I like that it is subtle.
  • SimSoonSimSoon Posts: 55 Member
    tegteg87 wrote: »
    I disagree - I think it’s amazing for inclusivity. I think not drawing attention to the fact she’s trans whilst using the family in all the promo for the pack is great - they weren’t drawn into tokenism for publicity. You only find out if you’re playing the family and take the time to get to know them by scratching the surface of who they are. If you’re only interacting with them on a surface level it’s not relevant. It only becomes relevant when you’re playing from their POV. Plus it’s creating characters with rich and interesting back stories. Love it!

I almost agree, however, the bolded part sounds a bit too on the nose for me, so I’ll take this a step further:

I’m glad Celeste wasn’t promoted as being one thing or another, that way we can make up our own minds about who this sim is or what she ‘identifies’ as if we so choose. Sure, some may recognize her as being ‘trans’, others see this sim as simply having a quirky set of gender characteristics. So what? In a game in which males can get impregnated by aliens (or are these males trans now? ) this stuff is only relevant in terms of what story every individual wants to tell and what feels important to them.
    Whatever is done with the information given is up to each player and I like to think that’s what this game is all about. 👍🏼

Actually if you use the in-game mechanics of gossiping for "San Sequoia Secrets" she and her husband will directly tell you that she's trans.
    It's not a secret, but I still prefer not to talk about it with people I don't know as well. I came out as trans just before we adopted Atlas. I'd been thinking about it for a long time but hadn't said anything to anyone until I blurted it out to my friend, Doli, and she just said: <I>if you feel like you are, maybe you should embrace the idea that you are a woman.</I> I already knew in my heart who I really was, but that early support from her and from my husband meant everything.
    Celeste has always said it's okay to talk about this stuff, but the day she came out to me to say that she was trans was so huge. I was surprised, but I also just thought that it somehow made so much sense for her. All I want is for my wife to be happy; it's really magical to see someone you love get to really, truly be themselves!
    So it is a fact.
  • greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    A trans sim and lore? Normally I don't care much about the premades but Celeste might be finding herself as my sim's new friend, assuming she likes spellcasters who garden and train dogs. Their daughters are both around the same age too. I forsee many sleepovers lol.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,020 Member
    Huh, so Christopher loved Celeste even when she identified as a man. There's something real wholesome about that, loving her no matter who she was.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    edited March 2023
    Gordy wrote: »
    Huh, so Christopher loved Celeste even when she identified as a man. There's something real wholesome about that, loving her no matter who she was.

I think her identity is a woman, she can also get others pregnant.
    I usually insist the gender in CAS is what they want to be because of living in a Utopia. If they have other pronouns, like Jay Robles, they can be non-binary.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,459 Member
    SimSoon wrote: »

Actually if you use the in-game mechanics of gossiping for "San Sequoia Secrets" she and her husband will directly tell you that she's trans.
    It's not a secret, but I still prefer not to talk about it with people I don't know as well. I came out as trans just before we adopted Atlas. I'd been thinking about it for a long time but hadn't said anything to anyone until I blurted it out to my friend, Doli, and she just said: <I>if you feel like you are, maybe you should embrace the idea that you are a woman.</I> I already knew in my heart who I really was, but that early support from her and from my husband meant everything.
    Celeste has always said it's okay to talk about this stuff, but the day she came out to me to say that she was trans was so huge. I was surprised, but I also just thought that it somehow made so much sense for her. All I want is for my wife to be happy; it's really magical to see someone you love get to really, truly be themselves!
    So it is a fact.

Ah ok, so it’s literally written into the game. There’s nothing Mr. Smartarsh over here can say about that then. Good for Celeste & Fam!

Going by the description it makes even more sense that Maxis didn’t make a big deal out of it.
    The fact that Celeste is now getting all this extra special attention just for being trans is probably the opposite of what she‘d want. 😅