Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Growing Together Negative Thread

Comments

• Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,101 Member
    I’m realizing now that they most likely made infants not to please players but really first and foremost capitalize off of something they really want-which i get it, this is a business lol. But All of the fun stuff for infants is in the EP. The tummy time mat is useless in BG. No changing table. They give you the bare necessities and then if you want the life stage to be fun and have real meaning, then you need the expansion pack. They literally give us a new life stage and if you want it to be better? then please give us $40 thank u. :D The infants are cute, i did play for a bit last night. it just gets a little repetitive and i didn’t really feel any connection to them cause i feel like there’s not really any goal for them without like, let’s say the milestones for their achievements of first time doing things. Idk in theory it’s cool, but i think most of that stuff for infants shouldve been BG and they could’ve add little extra things for them like that tummy mat with the hanging toys and the baby carrier, and then mostly expanded more on other life stages for this pack, such as toddlers, children and teens. this is all just my opinion, so i apologize lol just wanted to get my thought out.

This is how I feel exactly, and while I debated about getting the ep after playing with the infants for a day now, I find as cute as they are, the game play isn't as engaging as it will be after we get ep, so although I really hate throwing money at EA these days, I will buy the EP, but if it doesn't live up to my expectations, I will never buy another thing from EA again.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2023
    They give you the bare necessities and then if you want the life stage to be fun and have real meaning, then you need the expansion pack. They literally give us a new life stage and if you want it to be better? then please give us $40 thank u. :D

This is true of every life stage. They’re all fairly basic in the base game and get better with packs. If base game infants had the pack features they’d probably be better than base game toddlers and kids and it would feel like the game is getting worse as the sim ages.

The base game is now free, and it’s also very old. There aren’t too many games giving away large free packs this far into development and it could be that the base game only got bug fixes and infants were pack only. So I think it’s nice there’s a base game version as well for those who want it. It’s free and better than nothing.
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    I stopped preordering packs because I have been disappointed too many times. Yesterday when I was playing with the infants my thoughts were like "I need to buy Growing Together to have more possibilities for the infants." I would say this was the intention of EA and it was hard for me to resist not buying the pack for only having more gameplay with the infants. I wouldn't even play very much with the infants because I'm not the family player.
    What really bothers me are the dirty diapers and bottles on the floor. This is a step backwards to older sims games and I really didn't miss it. I refuse buying a pack only for having a garbage can for diapers. This, the changing tables and playmats should be basegame content.
    Infants are cute but in the future I will skip this live stage like I do with the newborns.

After watching a few videos I'm not sure if I will buy the pack someday. There is nothing I really need. I like the treehouse and the bikes for children but the pack is too expensive for only a few items. Like I said I'm not the family player.

• coogee78coogee78 Posts: 177 Member
    Some level of the Sim compatibility system should be basegame feature, as it has been in the older games. I think they are pretty fundamental to how the series has always worked. I agree about change tables as well. Infants should not be tied to an expansion to the degree that they have been with this pack.
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 858 Member
    edited March 2023
    They give you the bare necessities and then if you want the life stage to be fun and have real meaning, then you need the expansion pack. They literally give us a new life stage and if you want it to be better? then please give us $40 thank u. :D

This is true of every life stage. They’re all fairly basic in the base game and get better with packs. If base game infants had the pack features they’d probably be better than base game toddlers and kids and it would feel like the game is getting worse as the sim ages.

The base game is now free, and it’s also very old. There aren’t too many games giving away large free packs this far into development and it could be that the base game only got bug fixes and infants were pack only. So I think it’s nice there’s a base game version as well for those who want it. It’s free and better than nothing.

true! but, the "point" for the infants, as they claimed, was because babies had literally nothing to do and were tied to basinets, while in sims 2 and 3, that was not the case. And if someone has the BG of any game, they should still be able to enjoy it without it feeling very dry and bare. So it does leave a little bit of a sour taste where its like oh cool they finally did it! but also cool now we would have to spend another $40 to truly get full play value for them. Like i mentioned, i dont think everything should've been base game, but like others have said, the dynamics should have been BG too. There are many things that should have been BG because they were basic features in the past two previous sim games, so it feels like the BG is empty when it comes to core game mechanics. The base game really was lacking many things for a while though, so it is nice to get at least something.
    I stopped preordering packs because I have been disappointed too many times. Yesterday when I was playing with the infants my thoughts were like "I need to buy Growing Together to have more possibilities for the infants." I would say this was the intention of EA and it was hard for me to resist not buying the pack for only having more gameplay with the infants. I wouldn't even play very much with the infants because I'm not the family player.
    What really bothers me are the dirty diapers and bottles on the floor. This is a step backwards to older sims games and I really didn't miss it. I refuse buying a pack only for having a garbage can for diapers. This, the changing tables and playmats should be basegame content.
    Infants are cute but in the future I will skip this live stage like I do with the newborns.

After watching a few videos I'm not sure if I will buy the pack someday. There is nothing I really need. I like the treehouse and the bikes for children but the pack is too expensive for only a few items. Like I said I'm not the family player.

I agree. Considering the infants entire milestones system is tied to this EP, the least they could've done was give one changing table for BG. Not even that little play mat for "tummy time" is usuable unless you buy growing together. quite disappointing and misleading.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2023

true! but, the "point" for the infants, as they claimed, was because babies had literally nothing to do and were tied to basinets, while in sims 2 and 3, that was not the case. And if someone has the BG of any game, they should still be able to enjoy it without it feeling very dry and bare. So it does leave a little bit of a sour taste where its like oh cool they finally did it! but also cool now we would have to spend another $40 to truly get full play value for them. Like i mentioned, i dont think everything should've been base game, but like others have said, the dynamics should have been BG too. There are many things that should have been BG because they were basic features in the past two previous sim games, so it feels like the BG is empty when it comes to core game mechanics. The base game really was lacking many things for a while though, so it is nice to get at least something.

Ahh I disagree if I’m honest. I had fun with the base game when it was out, and right now it’s free anyway and many years old. It’s had lots of updates and it’s well worth the original price. They don’t need to develop it any more and it’s nice that they do.

I don’t think that every single feature from an earlier game has to be in every sims base game. When the early games were developed things were very different. Games were made by much less people and animations and graphics were much simpler and reused much more.

The same people complaining things weren’t in the base game would still be complaining if they got everything they wanted but it wasn’t to the quality of current day games which take longer and are harder and cost more to make. If we had got all the sims 2 features in the base game with its current level of quality, we’d probably still be waiting for the base game to release and they would have ran out of money ages ago. Times have changed.

Ahh I disagree if I’m honest. I had fun with the base game when it was out, and right now it’s free anyway and many years old. It’s had lots of updates and it’s well worth the original price. They don’t need to develop it any more and it’s nice that they do.

I don’t think that every single feature from an earlier game has to be in every sims base game. When the early games were developed things were very different. Games were made by much less people and animations and graphics were much simpler and reused much more.

The same people complaining things weren’t in the base game would still be complaining if they got everything they wanted but it wasn’t to the quality of current day games which take longer and are harder and cost more to make. If we had got all the sims 2 features in the base game with its current level of quality, we’d probably still be waiting for the base game to release and they would have ran out of money ages ago. Times have changed.

Understandable! Agree to disagree haha
  • ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    edited March 2023
    You don't have to apologise, because you're absolutely right!

I updated the game and played a little! It was fun for a couple of minutes, then it got very repetitive since all you get to do is fulfill their needs, but there's no meaningful interactions whatsoever, any. Infants don't have any skills or nothing you can teach them or help them with, so it all comes down to paying constant attention to them without any compensation, their gameplay feel a little plain without the pack.

It's too bad because I don't want to have a giant world or big changes in the dynamics that the pack brings, only to have fun with a single feature that should have been attached to infants in the update already.

They could have added lots of cute, extra content for infants in the pack to compensate, since it supposedly brings lots of new family content, and doesn't focus on *infants* alone.

I'm thinking on baby carriers options, more toys, even the quirks would be okay for the pack, but definitely not something that feels so substantial to the new lifestage.

It's kinda meh 😣

Dirty diapers are so annoying!
    You can switch to cloth diapers with one of the options if you have the laundry pack, and it will generate a clothe pile that goes automatically to the clothe's basket case, instead of generating a dirty diaper on the floor!
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member

Dirty diapers are so annoying!
    You can switch to cloth diapers with one of the options if you have the laundry pack, and it will generate a clothe pile that goes automatically to the clothe's basket case, instead of generating a dirty diaper on the floor!
    I know and I have tested it. But I don't like playing with Laundry Day. My sims never have washing machines in their houses.

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: Β»
    Yeah, changing tables really shouldn't have been tied to the pack. Like base game shouldve gotten one at least (and the rest dlc) and the pack exclusive item be something else.

Really hoping they patch that post release of the pack. There is still plenty of content in the pack itself that it wouldn't hurt sales.

I agree with the changing table. Changing diapers is such a basic action to take care of infants, that it feels it should have been at least one changing table for everyone. Some of the changing tables in the EP even match the basegame childrens furniture set. I wish they would have gone the same route as they have done with lounge chairs, ladders and small telescopes. All three of those were introduced in a pack but we also got a basic version in the base game. The DLC only offered more variety.

When it comes to the play mat, it would have been nice to have one in game but not as essential as the changing table because we can visually place the new rug under infants and infants have plenty of toys to play with. Infants can play with existing small toys, the toddler stacking blocks and dollhouses.

I updated the game and played a little! It was fun for a couple of minutes, then it got very repetitive since all you get to do is fulfill their needs, but there's no meaningful interactions whatsoever, any. Infants don't have any skills or nothing you can teach them or help them with, so it all comes down to paying constant attention to them without any compensation, their gameplay feel a little plain without the pack.

It's too bad because I don't want to have a giant world or big changes in the dynamics that the pack brings, only to have fun with a single feature that should have been attached to infants in the update already.

They could have added lots of cute, extra content for infants in the pack to compensate, since it supposedly brings lots of new family content, and doesn't focus on *infants* alone.

I'm thinking on baby carriers options, more toys, even the quirks would be okay for the pack, but definitely not something that feels so substantial to the new lifestage.

It's kinda meh 😣
    Thank you! yeah totally feel the same way. they definitely could've added fun cute things for infants in the pack such a rocking swing, teething toys, outdoor seat or "car seat" (minus the car) and then they gave BG the necessary essentials at least, such the clearly base game designed changing table, with a variation of the diaper specific trash can. The diapers werent a pain for me only for the fact that I have Laundry Day and i switch to using a cloth diaper so it flew right into the hamper when I changed them :D
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited March 2023
    I forgot something important about Social Compatibility ... Nobody have preferences set in the game yet.

I control 40 households so I must set Likes/Dislikes Sim Characteristics and Conversation Topics for all of them one by one ...
    I didn't finish to add Fingernails/toenails, Body hair and Sexual Orientation yet.
    edited March 2023
    Why Slob trait is a negative thing as a Sim Characteristics ?

I mean a countryside sim who work hard as a farmer isn't somebody lazy without ambition.

Another stereotype by Maxis, Slob = Homeless

It's kinda meh 😣
    Thank you! yeah totally feel the same way. they definitely could've added fun cute things for infants in the pack such a rocking swing, teething toys, outdoor seat or "car seat" (minus the car) and then they gave BG the necessary essentials at least, such the clearly base game designed changing table, with a variation of the diaper specific trash can. The diapers werent a pain for me only for the fact that I have Laundry Day and i switch to using a cloth diaper so it flew right into the hamper when I changed them :D

Haha! I love vintage stuff so as soon as I saw the cloth diapers option I clicked on it right away without knowing what would it do πŸ˜‚ I was greatly surprised! I see how laundry can be a little annoying too, just like in real life, but I personally love the little moodlets sims gets from wearing warm clothes, etc. and I was so happy when I saw infants get these moodlets too!
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I forgot something important about Social Compatibility ... Nobody have preferences set in the game yet.

I control 40 households so I must set Likes/Dislikes Sim Characteristics and Conversation Topics for all of them one by one ...
    I didn't finish to add Fingernails/toenails, Body hair and Sexual Orientation yet.

THIS kind of worries me with this new pack, my households are made to compliment each other. So the Sims all have different traits, interests, likes and dislikes so that each Sim should differ from each other as much as possible. So with this pack will they dislike and avoid each other?!
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited March 2023
    Peral wrote: Β»

THIS kind of worries me with this new pack, my households are made to compliment each other. So the Sims all have different traits, interests, likes and dislikes so that each Sim should differ from each other as much as possible. So with this pack will they dislike and avoid each other?!

My approach to this is that unless I actively want a particular sim to be disagreeable, or have a negative relationship with another specific sim, I'm mostly going to add likes but not dislikes. This way, they should get boosts for sims with whom they have special compatibility, but otherwise remain neutral. In theory.

That's just based on what I've seen in some of the early access videos, though. We'll have to see how it actually plays out.

ETA: That being said, what does worry me a little is that they may have muddled together likes and dislikes. One of the videos (maybe the livestream?) showed a compatability for Creative sims, but then the actual description said that choosing that like would also make them dislike Genius sims. Which makes no sense, as many of my sims have both a creativity-related trait or aspiration, and the Genius trait. Apparently the devs seem to think that only math and science types can be geniuses, and that if you like one type of person, you automatically dislike the other. :| So that could be a problem.
    As I thought, Enemies with benefits have been forgot
    About Spouses, just it misses Difficult family dynamic for "Enemies with benefits" couples :p

5izsk6pn4d6l.jpg
    jwjy9ot3grl6.png
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,166 Member
    edited March 2023
    So far i haven't been able to play much but already i really hate the chat options . why oh why did they have to split all the romantic options and friendly options up into the various other smaller menus . so now instead of just quickly looking through them alphabetically you now have look through different menus to try and find the option you wanted
    edited March 2023
    Close Family Dynamic = Inspired +1 moodlet

Because my sims are Enemies with benefits, several Romantic interactions failed.
    Self Discovery wants to make them Unflirty even if they like Physical Intimacy.

I also gave them a Bad Compatibility, I didn't see a difference. Let's see where this leads in the long run.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Why Slob trait is a negative thing as a Sim Characteristics ?

I mean a countryside sim who work hard as a farmer isn't somebody lazy without ambition.

Another stereotype by Maxis, Slob = Homeless
    Yeah I was afraid that you'd have to set up literally everything just to use the new combability system... It can get really tiresome.
  • Kai252018Kai252018 Posts: 76 Member
    I'm not happy with that shell of a world. I'm tried of all the fake houses and fake everything else about it!! The worlds must get better.
    edited March 2023
    I didn't find Sim Characteristics for these traits :
    • High Maintenance (Spa Day)
    • Unflirty (City Living)
    • Foodie
    • Maker (Eco Lifestyle)
    • Adventurous (Snowy Escape)
    • Child of the Islands (Island Living)
    • Child of the Ocean (Island Living)
    • Dance Machine (Get Together)
    • Erratic
    • Freegan (Eco Lifestyle)
    • Glutton
    • Green Fiend (Eco Lifestyle)
    • Lactose Intolerant (Cottage Living)
    • Overachiever (High School Years)
    • Recycle Disciple (Eco Lifestyle)
    • Squeamish (Outdoor Retreat)
    • Insider (Get Together)
    • Loyal
    • Paranoid (StrangerVille)
    • Party Animal (High School Years)
    • Proper (Snowy Escape)
    • Self-Absorbed (Get Famous)
    • Socially Awkward (High School Years)

I don't know what to think about the balance of the Sim Characteristics :
    • Active : 1 Positive / 1 Negative
    • Cheerful : 2 Positive / 1 Negative
    • Creative : 1 Positive / 1 Negative
    • Genius : 1 Positive / 1 Negative
    • Gloomy : 1 Positive / 2 Negative
    • Goofball : 2 Positive / 1 Negative
    • Hot-Headed : 2 Positive
    • Romantic : 1 Positive
    • Self-Assured : 1 Negative
    • Art Lover : 1 Positive
    • Bookworm : 2 Positive
    • Geek : 1 Positive
    • Music Lover : 1 Positive
    • Perfectionist : 1 Positive
    • Ambitious : 1 Positive / 1 Negative
    • Animal Enthusiast : 1 Positive
    • Cat Lover : 1 Positive
    • Childish : 1 Positive
    • Clumsy : 1 Positive
    • Dog Lover : 1 Positive
    • Kleptomaniac : 1 Positive
    • Lazy : 1 Positive / 2 Negative
    • Loves Outdoors : 1 Positive / 1 Negative
    • Materialistic : 1 Positive
    • Neat : 1 Positive
    • Slob : 1 Positive / 1 Negative
    • Snob : 1 Positive / 2 Negative
    • Vegetarian : 1 Positive
    • Bro : 1 Positive
    • Evil : 1 Positive / 2 Negative
    • Family-oriented : 1 Positive
    • Good : 1 Positive / 2 Negative
    • Hates Children : 1 Positive / 1 Negative
    • Jealous : 2 Positive
    • Loner : 1 Positive
    • Mean : 2 Positive
    • Noncommittal : 1 Positive / 1 Negative
    • Outgoing : 1 Positive

For example :
    Hot-headed + Bookworm + Jealous combo could collect up to 6 points.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on